BBC sessions deluxe out September 16!!!!

On 8/15/2016 at 9:19 AM, sixpense said:

Not only THAT but the solo to No Quarter from The Song Remains the Same and others from that release as well. So he edits his own music.

Ever think that the edits you mention above he couldn't get clearance from the publisher to put them out?

I would have liked for Mr. Page to have been, forthcoming and just say "he tried", but the publishers refused, if, that was the case. Obviously, he knows what exists on the BBC boots. And he knows that many long time fans also know this. But, I suppose there are thousands of "new" fans that are ready to jump at getting into a band that they only wished they could have seen live. I can;r hardly expect any journalist covering this release to even ask the question. But, maybe I'm wrong about that.

The "Honey Bee" that I first heard in 1974, from my first ever bootleg purchase -- was something from the '73 tour, if I'm remembering that correctly. That was a very very special moment for me. It was like, WOW, this is the MAGIC of LZ live !!! I wondered how could cool radio station snot be playing this!!!

Edited by The Rover

On 8/26/2016 at 9:10 AM, Dallas Knebs said:

As a nostalgic moment I remember when KZPS 92.5 played this bootlegged version of D&C in 1982 just before midnight- I just could not believe it. We were in a parking lot on Greenville Ave and the entire parking lot was listening to it.  The power of music to unite was on full display.  Next night we caught TSRTS at midnight.  Dallas in the 80s... and Austin.

Wow, I also remember that!! We were in route to a showing of TSRTS when that came on. It sounded so great... I was so saddened to have to turn it off to go inside to catch the show.

The Wikipedia entry for BBC Sessions is now displaying the alleged track times for the third disc, and it has White Summer at 8:22 rather than the previous official version which was 8:01. The Garden Tapes site says there was previously a 15 second cut at 5:06, so it looks like this track may now be about to appear in unedited form.

• Administrators

“They seemed very at home with the BBC and we were privileged to play host to them. They were truly great sessions.”
- Jeff Griffin, ‘In Concert’ producer.

Pre-order The Complete BBC Sessions: www.ledzeppelin.com

https://www.facebook.com/LedZeppelin

bbc_1969.jpg
photo © Ron Rafaelli

On 9/2/2016 at 4:00 PM, Succubus Mythgem said:
Regarding the new official version of “Sunshine Woman” and that annoying glitch at 0:55…

Warner clearly didn’t use the best available source.

Here is a little investigation conducted over the last few days to support that statement…

The sources 

First of all, let’s present the four different versions that were used for this investigation:

Version A 
This version was taken from a 2006 Empress Valley release called Led Zeppelin – The Complete British Broadcasting Corporation Radio Sessions; probably zero mastering effort on this version; a lot of noise above 7k; sounds 100% like a flat transfer; this version does NOT have the glitch around 0:55. Empress Valley claim that they obtained this transfer from an “aircheck master” that was taped from a shortwave broadcast. That claim sounds perfectly plausible. This is a full-length version of the song and, as with every other version here, there is practically no music above 7k due to the limits of the technology used for the original broadcast.

Version B 
This version was found on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWEqOtYQyUQ. It was originally uploaded on June 1, 2010. This version shares the same analogue-to-digital transfer as Version A, as they both stay perfectly synchronized until the end when played simultaneously in a digital multitrack session; EQ has been drastically modified (for the better), with the huge amount of noise above 7k totally removed; however, a continuous and constant interference noise located around 11.1k makes its appearance on this version. Wisely, a little more than one second of silence (with tape hiss) has been edited out from the very beginning of the digital track. The dynamic range value is the same for both versions (DR 8) with only a slight variation of 0.03—let's say untouched. The glitch IS THERE at 0:55, and the end of the song has been abruptly chopped off without any fadeout! Therefore, approximately 1.5 seconds of music is missing, mainly harmonica and drums. Overall, this version sounds better than Version A, thanks to the EQ. In fact, I strongly believe that this version (Version B) is nothing more than a tweaked version of Version A.

Version C 
This version is the new 2016 official release from Warner. It sounds exactly like Version B: very similar EQ choices (almost untouched); same analogue-to-digital transfer as Version A and Version B; no significant change in the DR value—and yes, the audible glitch IS THERE at the very beginning of 0:55. As with Version B, the last 1.5 seconds of music at the end is missing, but Warner has applied what I would call “a not very smooth fade-out” to hide the abrupt ending heard in Version B. The continuous interference located around 11.1k in Version B is still there, but to be honest, it is present at a very low volume, and is totally inaudible unless you isolate the frequencies. But because it was a crucial element in demonstrating the connection between Version C and Version B, it has its importance in this investigation. 

Version D
A brand new mastering that I made myself, using Version A as a master and Version B as a direct reference. The result? I was able to recreate a version that sounds exactly like Version B and Version C, but without the annoying glitch at 0:55; without losing the last 1.5 seconds of music; and without having to apply an unorthodox fade-out to hide the abrupt cut, as Warner had to do on the new release. No interference has been introduced at 11.1k, and it took me 10 minutes to complete the entire process.

The mastering

Here are the EQ changes that need to be applied to the Empress Valley version (Version A) to achieve the sound of Version B and Version C:

Screen_Shot_2016_08_26_at_6_43_52_PM.png

Conclusion

It is now clear to me that the new official version from Warner (Version C) was created from a previously altered source that was encoded at least six years ago (Version B): a source that is nothing more than a tweaked version of the same analogue-to-digital transfer used by Empress Valley four years earlier in 2006, but with the addition of an unwanted and audible glitch at 0:55, and that is missing 1.5 seconds of music at the end of the recording. 

Unanswered questions

Does the CD version or lossless file that was used to encode Version B contain the same glitch at 0:55, or is it “exclusive” to this specific YouTube upload? The glitch is somehow reminiscent of the sound that results from a digital error generated when something goes wrong in the encoding process of an MP3. I don't want to say that MP3 encoding is definitely the source of the glitch, but that’s what it sounds like to me.

And what about the 1.5 seconds of music missing at the end? Is this edited ending present anywhere else than on the 2010 YouTube version or on the new official release?

As a fan and as a customer who pre-ordered the new release, I would be very disappointed to learn that the official product was sourced directly from a 2010 YouTube upload, while at the same time, an unaltered, undamaged version of the same digital transfer (Empress Valley) was very easy to find (and it still is) in lossless format on the internet. Sadly, once you’ve heard the glitch or the comparison with the inappropriate fade-out, it’s like a curse... It will keep distracting you and it will tarnish the playback experience of the track.

I think that Warner should act immediately and at least replace the file for the official online distribution of the new BBC Sessions release. It would be a very easy thing to do, and honestly, I think it has to be done.

This song might be the last original creation from Led Zeppelin’s catalogue to see an official release; it is therefore of historical value and does not deserve a defective production.

SM

Has anyone checked the Last Stand Disc boot to see if the glitch/early fade is on that version?

On September 9, 2016 at 0:49 PM, messengers said:

Has anyone checked the Last Stand Disc boot to see if the glitch/early fade is on that version?

As an update, since my first post, I can say that I've heard the glitch on a few other versions of the same analogue-to-digital transfer. However, the unorthodox cut / fade-out (1.5 seconds of drums and harmonica missing from the end of the song) is still an exclusive to the YouTube version and sadly, to the official release as well (it hasn't been corrected online yet).

That said, it is not impossible that a lossless version of that faulty file exist elsewhere, on another bootleg, but we still have to find it.

I did send a copy of the files (A-B-C and D) + a copy of my first post directly to John Davis; after contacting him through Twitter. I've also sent the package to a few others as well.

I still think that Warner should act immediately and at least replace the faulty file for the official online distribution of the new BBC Sessions release. It would be a very easy thing to do.

Again, this song might be the last original creation from Led Zeppelin’s catalogue to see an official release; it is therefore of historical value and does not deserve a defective production.

SM

Edited by Succubus Mythgem

Just picked mine up. SO excited..... :chickeddance:

Great night coming up.

Bronco's vs Cowboys in NRL (Both QLD teams, so even if Bronc's lose, I'll still be mildly happy) followed by a nice late night listening session.

I will not so much as look at the track listing, just bang CD1 in, try to avoid even looking closely at the CD, and just listen and enjoy. :yay:

1 hour ago, Mook said:

Has anyone else in the UK ordered from Amazon & if so, has it appeared in your library yet?

I can't see it in mine & have been refreshing it like someone playing Honda in Streetfighter 2, circa 1993.

Not in my library either, tbh I could not care less I'm only buying this release to save having a hole in my (official) LZ collection, I've got all The BBC recordings on boots anyway...

21 minutes ago, JTM said:

Not in my library either, tbh I could not care less I'm only buying this release to save having a hole in my (official) LZ collection, I've got all The BBC recordings on boots anyway...

I bought the BBC Sessions, the day it came out in '97, I just wanted to have a wee listen to the 3rd disc on my way to work & was unable to.

I seem to recall Amazon having similar issues with the other recent reissues.

7 minutes ago, Mook said:

I bought the BBC Sessions, the day it came out in '97, I just wanted to have a wee listen to the 3rd disc on my way to work & was unable to.

I seem to recall Amazon having similar issues with the other recent reissues.

Same here in '97, that's a downer though not having the tracks for your commute, or your lunch break, bummer...

On August 1, 2016 at 9:23 AM, Sticks of Fire said:

Maybe I'm all alone here but would it be so hard to release each session complete and in proper order of when the session/shows were recorded?   Rather than having partial sessions and shows divided up into different discs and certain songs lumped

I just dont get it...

Im with you. . The London 4/1/71 broadcast (aside from being a completist ) is the main reason I was looking forward to this release.

It sounds fantastic , definitive for sure. The sequencing is the only fly in the ointment..

I had initially intended on buying the CD and LP versions but will probably pass on the vinyl now.

The CD (s) could be programmed to play the show in proper sequence . Not the Vinyl.

The other thing is that it lists the London 71 as being recorded on 4/1 and broadcast that evening. My Last Stand set notes it was recorded on the 28th of March.

Im guessing the BBC would know better?

2 hours ago, JTM said:

Same here in '97, that's a downer though not having the tracks for your commute, or your lunch break, bummer...

To be fair, the people on my train tend to get a bit upset when I start doing my John Bonham air drumming & accompanying facial expressions along to the music.

26 minutes ago, Mook said:

To be fair, the people on my train tend to get a bit upset when I start doing my John Bonham air drumming & accompanying facial expressions along to the music.

Ha ha ha...Love it..