Jimmy Page and Joe Elliott to appear at Classic Rock Awards

sam_webmaster

6 hours ago, blindwillie127 said:

Its so fucking obvious that Page was never going to be playing at this crock of shit event. They had "an amp n guitar ready on the day" though.:D Hey, I wonder if Joe Elliott is getting the same amount of hate Page is for not performing at this Hollywood Vampire fest. Seriously though, what I'm most blown away by is Johnny Depp's english accent, the guys obviously lost his mind.

Sorry but No, it was not "fucking obvious". For hundreds of fans, for the media , for whomever saw that poster, for lawyers and even for the Japanese organizers (if they are sincere) and probably the other artists as well, at least until rehearsal time,  it was not obvious at all.  But of course it's easy to say that in hindsight. 

Elliott ... well maybe on the opposite they asked him NOT to perform ! (-:

and it was not a "Hollywood Vampires" fest at all, Depp and Perry were on stage for just a fraction of the show.  Sweet Emotion and Train Kept a Rolling were very good , by the way. 

10 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Laugh out loud funny! 

Well you need to laugh a bit! (-: 

btw why deleting the DL Roth vid? Just watched it before bed, It was hilarious !   does he still live in Tokyo? Would have been fun to see him at Kokugikan too.

regarding the Black Rain thing it made me think... I really really hope for Jimmy that KLab doesn't have such... connections (you never know in this kind of biz). Because if he pissed them off too much he will probably have other things to worry about than his neighbor's construction works!    He is maybe too used to the polite/respectful character of Japanese people , but hasn't seen the dark side yet.

19 minutes ago, Kokugikan said:

Well you need to laugh a bit! (-: 

btw why deleting the DL Roth vid? Just watched it before bed, It was hilarious !   does he still live in Tokyo? Would have been fun to see him at Kokugikan too.

regarding the Black Rain thing it made me think... I really really hope for Jimmy that KLab doesn't have such... connections (you never know in this kind of biz). Because if he pissed them off too much he will probably have other things to worry about than his neighbor's construction works!    He is maybe too used to the polite/respectful character of Japanese people , but hasn't seen the dark side yet.

Team Rock, Page and Halfin better hope K-Lab doesn't have a signed performance contract. If I find that they do I'm going scorched earth. You are absolutely correct the Japanese were taken advantage of in part because the assumption is they are too polite to protest against it.

I deleted David Lee Roth video because I don't want to cause unnecessary aggravation for the webmaster with a third party (K-Lab). DLR does still reside near Roppongi. His short film was recorded at Take-No-Yu spa in Hachioji a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, it has been demolished. DLR got his tattoo done in Japan because he wanted it done by a Japanese artist. He said others would be able to tell if it was done by a Western hand or a Japanese hand.    

1 hour ago, Kokugikan said:

47 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

Team Rock, Page and Halfin better hope K-Lab doesn't have a signed performance contract. If I find that they do I'm going scorched earth. You are absolutely correct the Japanese were taken advantage of in part because the assumption is they are too polite to protest against it.

I deleted David Lee Roth video because I don't want to cause unnecessary aggravation for the webmaster with a third party (K-Lab). DLR does still reside near Roppongi. His short film was recorded at Take-No-Yu spa in Hachioji a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, it has been demolished. DLR got his tattoo done in Japan because he wanted it done by a Japanese artist. He said others would be able to tell if it was done by a Western hand or a Japanese hand.    

I wish all rock stars knew Japan as well as him! 

Regarding the performance contract I bet you that even if there was one we will never know for sure. Both sides have interest to settle that issue without public scrutiny. The fact that both Classic Rock and KLab deleted their online statements is already a hint , in my opinion. 

16 hours ago, Kokugikan said:

Sorry but No, it was not "fucking obvious". For hundreds of fans, for the media , for whomever saw that poster, for lawyers and even for the Japanese organizers (if they are sincere) and probably the other artists as well, at least until rehearsal time,  it was not obvious at all.  But of course it's easy to say that in hindsight. 

Elliott ... well maybe on the opposite they asked him NOT to perform ! (-:

and it was not a "Hollywood Vampires" fest at all, Depp and Perry were on stage for just a fraction of the show.  Sweet Emotion and Train Kept a Rolling were very good , by the way. 

My "fucking obvious" comment was directed towards the promoters & organizers of this event, not the people who bought into it. The poster was definitely deceiving, no doubt about it. Hell, when Page & Joe Elliott were announced it appeared that they would be performing together, that was also very deceiving, and neither of them played. Kirk Hammett was also on the bill...was he even there? 

Robert DeLeo and Tommy Hendrickson are also members of Hollywood Vultures. Ray Luzier was sitting in for Matt Sorum on drums and Dean DeLeo is probably a member of HV now as well. Were they not the house band? (just wondering). Also, who was playing in Jeff Becks band? 

Maybe Jimmy Page should just appoint Johnny Depp as his stand-in. Christ, I have seen that dilettante pop up playing guitar more in the last year than I have seen Jimmy in the last ten. Just last month he appeared at the Alice Cooper concert at the Pantages. All of a sudden he's like Dave Grohl...EVERYWHERE! :rolleyes:

9 hours ago, Strider said:

Maybe Jimmy Page should just appoint Johnny Depp as his stand-in. Christ, I have seen that dilettante pop up playing guitar more in the last year than I have seen Jimmy in the last ten. Just last month he appeared at the Alice Cooper concert at the Pantages. All of a sudden he's like Dave Grohl...EVERYWHERE! :rolleyes:

Yeah but let me tell you Strider, he got fucked off out of Australia pretty  sharpish with his stupid miniature poodles, or whatever the hell they were. Barnaby Joyce (a local politician) said something along the lines of "if johnny Depp doesn't like our quarantine laws, he can piss off back to the states with his stupid toy dogs".  

And it is precisely for reasons such as this why, as an Englishman, I love and live in this country. 

Sorry, way off topic I know, but I thought you might find it amusing. 

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/johnny-depps-extraordinary-swipe-at-barnaby-joyce/news-story/d8e6d697f59c64782d874523a4212c19

On ‎2016‎年‎11‎月‎17‎日 at 10:36 PM, SteveAJones said:

Kokugikan, can you translate the main points of this?

https://www.bengo4.com/internet/n_5355/?via=twitter

OK so I had a look at it.  In short it's about a lawyer living in Sapporo, Mr. Noriyuki Okuyama,  who made the trip to Tokyo to attend that gig and was very disappointed too, so he sent an official lawyer's letter (not sure how to say that in legal english) to KLAB to ask what exactly is said in the contract regarding JP performing or not.  He mentions that he had no doubt before that show, given news releases, Twitter feed of KLAB CEO, radio announcements etc that Page and Beck would play together.   He thinks that if the contract doesnt mention about JP playing then KLAB should reimburse the fans,  but if he was supposed to play then of course they can hold him accountable and he must explain himself.    Also said that even though tickets were expansive, he thinks that many people don't want the hassles and legal costs of suing for reimbursements but he's apparently ready to be the voice of those who were pissed off by that situation. Said that he saw many others in the audience leaving the Kokugikan furious or even in tears. He has no hate for the organizers as their responsibility is not clearly established yet,  but thinks that if this was a legal precedent it could help in the future (ie for other concerts)  to avoid the vagueness of who is responsible for what.  

By the way I had a look at his website...

http://ameblo.jp/ambitiouslaw/

he seems to be like a young maverick lawyer very much into rock (his motto:  "Rock and Law" and the name of his law law firm is "Ambitious Law"  LOL!)  and he even published online the letter he sent to KLAB.  No answer yet apparently,  But  it seems you found here the perfect legal help if you want to go further!  (as for me I paid the cheapest ticket and as I wrote before, with or without JImmy,  I think it was still a great show... but hey if you can get a few bucks back on your VIP ticket, it's probably worth it) 

Just saw that Classic Rock put an audio extract of the event on their website,  towards the end you can hear JImmy Page's appreciation of Jeff Beck when giving the award,  then a part of the Beck set (too bad they didnt leave Beck's Bolero,  just Superstition) then an interview of Jimmy (but I think it was done before the show)  saying he was here to "give an award to Jeff Beck" (period).  Then his usual talk about "doing something" next year cause he was too busy with the reissues, but now he will have time etc...

http://teamrock.com/radio/on-demand/the-classic-rock-magazine-show/2016-11-15

What a crazy evening it was...   I remember going to the toilet halfway through the concert and bumped into an old friend who is a bit of a loony  JP fan,  into the same kind of esoterical stuff etc... He even wrote an online novel about it (nobody would actually publish him I'm sure!).  So he said that it was very significant that JP was here on a 11/11 for whatever woowoo reason I forgot,  and that there would certainly be a surprise.  Well, he was sure right on that point!

2 hours ago, Kokugikan said:

OK so I had a look at it.  In short it's about a lawyer living in Sapporo, Mr. Noriyuki Okuyama,  who made the trip to Tokyo to attend that gig and was very disappointed too, so he sent an official lawyer's letter (not sure how to say that in legal english) to KLAB to ask what exactly is said in the contract regarding JP performing or not.  He mentions that he had no doubt before that show, given news releases, Twitter feed of KLAB CEO, radio announcements etc that Page and Beck would play together.   He thinks that if the contract doesnt mention about JP playing then KLAB should reimburse the fans,  but if he was supposed to play then of course they can hold him accountable and he must explain himself.    Also said that even though tickets were expansive, he thinks that many people don't want the hassles and legal costs of suing for reimbursements but he's apparently ready to be the voice of those who were pissed off by that situation. Said that he saw many others in the audience leaving the Kokugikan furious or even in tears. He has no hate for the organizers as their responsibility is not clearly established yet,  but thinks that if this was a legal precedent it could help in the future (ie for other concerts)  to avoid the vagueness of who is responsible for what.  

By the way I had a look at his website...

http://ameblo.jp/ambitiouslaw/

he seems to be like a young maverick lawyer very much into rock (his motto:  "Rock and Law" and the name of his law law firm is "Ambitious Law"  LOL!)  and he even published online the letter he sent to KLAB.  No answer yet apparently,  But  it seems you found here the perfect legal help if you want to go further!  (as for me I paid the cheapest ticket and as I wrote before, with or without JImmy,  I think it was still a great show... but hey if you can get a few bucks back on your VIP ticket, it's probably worth it) 

Thanks so much for the posts. I firmly believe K-Lab, the organizers and/or Jimmy Page must be held accountable for the manner in which his involvement was promoted which was a rip-off and a con job of the highest order. As far as I'm concerned, if fraud is established people involved from the UK need to be denied visas in future and K-Lab needs to be fined or otherwise penalized. Although I do believe attendees should be entitled to a partial refund, for me this has nothing to do with money and everything to do with demonstrating flagrant disrespect towards the Tokyo market.  

The promoters of this event shoulder the blame here. Unless you 'want' to believe that Page agreed to present Beck an award but also wanted himself to be  billed as a headline performer without ever having any intention of playing. Why on earth would he do that? On the other hand, one can totally understand why the promoters would use Page's name (among others) to generate interest/move ticket sales. Joe Elliott didn't sing, and Kirk Hammett and Joe Walsh were also on the bill, and I'm pretty sure neither of them were even there. Seems to me like this thing was slapped together rather amateurishly, at the very least.

9 minutes ago, blindwillie127 said:

The promoters of this event shoulder the blame here. Unless you 'want' to believe that Page agreed to present Beck an award but also wanted himself to be  billed as a headline performer without ever having any intention of playing. Why on earth would he do that? On the other hand, one can totally understand why the promoters would use Page's name (among others) to generate interest/move ticket sales. Joe Elliott didn't sing, and Kirk Hammett and Joe Walsh were also on the bill, and I'm pretty sure neither of them were even there. Seems to me like this thing was slapped together rather amateurishly, at the very least.

Ross Halfin is one of the co-organizers.

11 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

Ross Halfin is one of the co-organizers.

And how would Halfin benefit from billing Page as a performer when he knew damn well he wouldn't be. They can get the free travel costs/ lodging and red carpet treatment just for showing up. I seriously doubt either Page or Halfin saw this as an opportunity to deceive anybody or profit in anyway. 

21 minutes ago, blindwillie127 said:

And how would Halfin benefit from billing Page as a performer when he knew damn well he wouldn't be. They can get the free travel costs/ lodging and red carpet treatment just for showing up. I seriously doubt either Page or Halfin saw this as an opportunity to deceive anybody or profit in anyway. 

It's cost prohibitive to fly a gaggle of Western artists and their gear to Japan for a hum drum awards show. Were it not for Jimmy Page being the co-headliner there is no way 8,000 people pay approximately $1.5 million dollars to attend. No prospect of a Page performance and there is no Classic Rock Awards held in Tokyo. If anything, Classic Rock coached Page to state on their official video he only consented to appear, knowing there was going to be some degree of fall out for how the show was promoted. 

3 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

It's cost prohibitive to fly a gaggle of Western artists and their gear to Japan for a hum drum awards show. Were it not for Jimmy Page being the co-headliner there is no way 8,000 people pay approximately $1.5 million dollars to attend. No prospect of a Page performance and there is no Classic Rock Awards held in Tokyo. If anything, Classic Rock coached Page to state on their official video he only consented to appear, knowing there was going to be some degree of fall out for how the show was promoted. 

IIRC, this event was in full production and both Page & Elliot were the last to be added to the bill. It was happening with or without them, correct? As far as Page being "coaxed" by anyone to make a statement to get in front of the fall out, well, I think we're getting into conspiracy theory territory  here. Not my cup of tea to be honest.

On 11/17/2016 at 10:40 AM, blindwillie127 said:

Its so fucking obvious that Page was never going to be playing at this crock of shit event. They had "an amp n guitar ready on the day" though.:D Hey, I wonder if Joe Elliott is getting the same amount of hate Page is for not performing at this Hollywood Vampire fest. Seriously though, what I'm most blown away by is Johnny Depp's english accent, the guys obviously lost his mind.

Whoa, I believe I may have theory as to what actually occurred at this event. Bear with me please.

The reason Johnny Depp is now speaking with an English accent is because that is really no longer Johnny Depp, it is Jimmy Page. The dark wizard himself used the award show as a ruse to lure Johnny Depp to a pre-determined location in an effort to swap bodies with him ala' Mephisto's Waltz / Skeleton Key. So, Jimmy has actually kept his promise to the fans as Depp (really Jimmy Page) did play at the awards show. Now, Depp being faced with the fact of now living in the body of a 72 year old rock god, has accepted his fate and has moved into Jimmy's old digs and taken up with Jimmy's post-pubescent bird.

Jimmy will live forever, he will consume your soul. Jimmy, is quite possibly, evolving into a Cennobite. Just a theory, but it explains the Johnny Depp with English accent quite nicely yes?

53 minutes ago, blindwillie127 said:

IIRC, this event was in full production and both Page & Elliot were the last to be added to the bill. It was happening with or without them, correct? As far as Page being "coaxed" by anyone to make a statement to get in front of the fall out, well, I think we're getting into conspiracy theory territory  here. Not my cup of tea to be honest.

It was announced on 9/23 that Page and Elliott were added to the event. At that point, there had already been an unheard of FIVE ROUNDS of PRE-SALE offers held between June & September. Most Tokyo events hold only one pre-sale offer. Tickets went on sale to the general public the day after Page and Elliott were added. Some additional artists continued to be added. Then, on 10/26, Dave Mustaine of Megadeth and Kabuki Star Matsuya Onoe were announced as the Official MCs.   

I suppose one could argue the event would happen with or without him (but probably at a loss). My point is that announcing and promoting Page as a CO-HEADLINER paved the way for the event to be profitable. No way a routine awards show with Jeff Beck at the top of the bill draws 8,000 paying over $1.5 million in ticket sales. Hell, Jeff will be touring Japan in January (which is probably why he refused to permit his set to be filmed),   

Note also K-Lab specializes in social gaming and smartphone industries, not live performances. This means they either agreed to be a stooge for Team Rock in the Tokyo market or they were duped along the way. Their director's statement suggests they were duped, but they may find what they thought was agreed to by Page wasn't. In that case, they're simply incompetent. 

Finally, remember Page is under self-management. He's never had the business acumen of Jagger, for example, so I imagine Team Rock easily had co-organizer Halfin get Jimmy to record a promo clip to tell the fans why he was going to attend. That is coaching, to some extent, because Page is doing promotion without any apparent awareness of how it was being promoted in Tokyo up to that point. If Page had proper management, he never would have been the co-headliner and there would be no problem today. 

The bottom line is loyal Japanese fans who paid a lot of money for tickets went home that night in deep sorrow and anger. 

24 minutes ago, IpMan said:

Whoa, I believe I may have theory as to what actually occurred at this event. Bear with me please.

The reason Johnny Depp is now speaking with an English accent is because that is really no longer Johnny Depp, it is Jimmy Page. The dark wizard himself used the award show as a ruse to lure Johnny Depp to a pre-determined location in an effort to swap bodies with him ala' Mephisto's Waltz / Skeleton Key. So, Jimmy has actually kept his promise to the fans as Depp (really Jimmy Page) did play at the awards show. Now, Depp being faced with the fact of now living in the body of a 72 year old rock god, has accepted his fate and has moved into Jimmy's old digs and taken up with Jimmy's post-pubescent bird.

Jimmy will live forever, he will consume your soul. Jimmy, is quite possibly, evolving into a Cennobite. Just a theory, but it explains the Johnny Depp with English accent quite nicely yes?

Johnny Depp plays live far too often to ever be mistaken for Jimmy Page, the Howard Hughes of rock.

My gut feeling is that the promoter over-egged the promotional materials to sell tickets and Jimmy's contract didn't bind him to playing. That's the most likely scenario.

I just can't see Jimmy locking himself into playing, giving his lengthy musical inactivity. There may have possibly been an option that he if wanted to play on the night equipment would be provided. For instance, has anyone actually see any pics of any of his guitars in Japan prior to the performance? If he was thinking about playing I'm sure he would have rehearsed over there and brought some gear.

Ultimately, only those who have seen the contract between Page and KLab will ever know the truth.

Regardless, hopefully people have learned from this, including Page, who may ask for approval copy of promotional materials before signing up for anymore similar appearances.

I wouldn't be surprised, given the PR fallout, if Page doesn't attend another Classic Rock event.

Once he gets annoyed and feels he has been wrong done by, that tends to be it and ties are severed.

I still would like Page to issue some sort of brief statement to clarify what happened and say thanks to his fans for turning up.

20 hours ago, IpMan said:

Sorry for going off topic, but Depp's heavy English accent here is hysterical and disturbing at the same time:

Archived