Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
sam_webmaster

Jimmy Page and Joe Elliott to appear at Classic Rock Awards

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, juxtiphi said:

Feel free to disagree.

 

His calluses are gone and his fingers are week.    At his age coupled with how long it's been since he's actually played makes it near impossible for him to recover in a way he feels is respectable. I think he is deathly afraid of failing to hit the right notes while in a live setting that's being televised or recorded for posterity.

It saddens me to say this, because I would love to see the man play on stage at least one more time, but I completely agree with your post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Jimmy is terrified, but it's rather unclear if he has a serious ailment. At the 07' show, evidence could point either

way. Also remember one finger was not fully healed. Forget Richards, if you watch "Shine A Light" he is actually playing

busier than long ago with the 3 note solos, and he is using medium or heavy strings. It was said long ago by many, Jimmy

wants to play arenas, I think he may even get depressed thinking about the 1000-3000 size halls. Another thing some

people notice is even on some very good/great boots, Jimmy can take a few songs to get in sync with the rest of Zep.

He is real touchy, remember his near meltdown waiting to play the Atlantic Recordds anniversary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say the chances of Page playing are slightly higher because of the Beck factor: he played with him before at the RORHOF and he's obviously comfortable with him as a long term friend.

Whether we will ever hear Page play another solo live again is anyone's guess!!

I don't think he can be arsed anymore and has swapped the wizard's mantle for the custodian's overalls.

Edited by Boleskinner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

I'd say the chances of Page playing are slightly higher because of the Beck factor: he played with him before at the RORHOF and he's obviously comfortable with him as a long term friend.

That's true, but Jeff tried to no avail to get Jimmy to join him onstage the last time they were in Tokyo together. This time should be different. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Mithril46 said:

I think Jimmy is terrified, but it's rather unclear if he has a serious ailment. At the 07' show, evidence could point either way.

He did favor the injured finger that night, but aside from that I saw nothing to suggest a serious ailment. Had Led Zeppelin reformed I'm sure he would have played every arena in the world twice since then. Back to reality, I expect he will perform on 11/11. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm no guitar player but I have a decent ear and know Jimmy's playing pretty well. I didn't hear any sign what so ever that he was having tremendous difficulty playing last year during that awards show. And that was totally unrehearsed.  Grant that it was only one song so maybe there shouldn't be a rush to judgement until he does a full set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the DeLeo brothers involvement, my twisted meandering mind pictures Jimmy jamming on "Wicked Garden" and "Sex Type Thing". Percy jets over to supply vocals....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

 Back to reality, I expect he will perform on 11/11. 

I think your getting your hopes raised because he's playing in your home town. Time to cool your jets and see what happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

I think your getting your hopes raised because he's playing in your home town. Time to cool your jets and see what happens.

Based on what he told the Japanese during his last visit I do have every expectation that he will participate in at least one song. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Prepare to be underwhelmed if Page does perform. Whatever happens will most likely be an all star jam of sorts similar to all those at the RRHOF. IMO those things are chaotic and pointless. Painful to hear and watch.  I would love to see Page play live again but methinks he's retired. Good for him. His contribution to rock n roll is assured.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Pabst said:

Prepare to be underwhelmed if Page does perform. Whatever happens will most likely be an all star jam of sorts similar to all those at the RRHOF. IMO those things are chaotic and pointless. Painful to hear and watch.  I would love to see Page play live again but methinks he's retired. Good for him. His contribution to rock n roll is assured.

Since that's been done, I'd like to think that Jimmy would avoid that. He could easily have declined to play but since he looks like he has agreed to something, it should be something. Not a background bit of fluff re: RRHOF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope you're right.., All of the fans have been hoping for something for a long time now. Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, rm2551 said:

Since that's been done, I'd like to think that Jimmy would avoid that. He could easily have declined to play but since he looks like he has agreed to something, it should be something. Not a background bit of fluff re: RRHOF.

Agreed. His participation has been announced, and he will have had a good month or two to practice. I'm sure he's aware of how many times he's said he wants to be seen playing again and will want to make good on that. I don't expect him to play Cause We've Ended as Lovers...that's not his style. Either a souped-up version of a Zeppelin track, something from his solo album, or a brand new track along the lines of what we heard in It Might Get Loud. Just a hunch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, thozil said:

Agreed. His participation has been announced, and he will have had a good month or two to practice. I'm sure he's aware of how many times he's said he wants to be seen playing again and will want to make good on that. I don't expect him to play Cause We've Ended as Lovers...that's not his style. Either a souped-up version of a Zeppelin track, something from his solo album, or a brand new track along the lines of what we heard in It Might Get Loud. Just a hunch.

Becks Bolero should be easy enough..........................................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's hoping he does something substantial and it reignites something inside him again and he re-finds his muse. 

It's time to be brave, man up and give something to the fans, after years of promises.

Come on, Jimbo!

Edited by Boleskinner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally hope its something back to his own blues starting out roots (starting out with Zep I mean). Both a tip of his hat / tribute, and a reaffirmation to the fans and doubters that he can make his instrument cry and sing (and boogie). With the obligatory light and shade.

To be honest, I'll be happy no matter what. He owes me NOTHING. He has given me literally my greatest experiences (while alone) just listening to Zep while in the right mental state/place. No one else comes close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rm2551 said:

I personally hope its something back to his own blues starting out roots (starting out with Zep I mean). Both a tip of his hat / tribute, and a reaffirmation to the fans and doubters that he can make his instrument cry and sing (and boogie). With the obligatory light and shade.

To be honest, I'll be happy no matter what. He owes me NOTHING. He has given me literally my greatest experiences (while alone) just listening to Zep while in the right mental state/place. No one else comes close.

Amen. If it was something along the "blues roots" lines, I'd love it if Page suddenly cranked out something by Snooks eaglin, or an acoustic set doing "Can't get that stuff no more" or similar. Like this Rolling Stones all blues covers album that's coming out, it'd be pretty circular "come in with the blues, go out with the blues"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why is Jimmy "terrified"?

He performed at The ARMS concerts strung out, out of practice and alongside his 2 main peers and guitarists he's been forever linked to in Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck. Not to mention 77-80 in Zeppelin when his chops were down... He just went for it.

If you think it's...

Lack of motivation? Fine 

Other priorities, like a little thing called LED ZEPPELIN  getting in the way? Absolutely..

Not quite sure how or who to kick it back into gear with? Probably

Terrified??!! Nope! I Don't see it.

Yep he was nervous at Atlantic 40th, but who wouldn't be after a three hour delay and Robert pulling the "I won't play Stairway" trump card.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, the chase said:

Why is Jimmy "terrified"?

He performed at The ARMS concerts strung out, out of practice and alongside his 2 main peers and guitarists he's been forever linked to in Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck. Not to mention 77-80 in Zeppelin when his chops were down... He just went for it.

If you think it's...

Lack of motivation? Fine 

Other priorities, like a little thing called LED ZEPPELIN  getting in the way? Absolutely..

Not quite sure how or who to kick it back into gear with? Probably

Terrified??!! Nope! I Don't see it.

Yep he was nervous at Atlantic 40th, but who wouldn't be after a three hour delay and Robert pulling the "I won't play Stairway" trump card.

I think people here are projecting their own fears of Jimmy playing. Granted, ya' never know quite whats gonna happen with Page, but thats part of the drama with the guy. Bring it....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, the chase said:

Why is Jimmy "terrified"?

He performed at The ARMS concerts strung out, out of practice and alongside his 2 main peers and guitarists he's been forever linked to in Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck. Not to mention 77-80 in Zeppelin when his chops were down... He just went for it.

If you think it's...

Lack of motivation? Fine 

Other priorities, like a little thing called LED ZEPPELIN  getting in the way? Absolutely..

Not quite sure how or who to kick it back into gear with? Probably

Terrified??!! Nope! I Don't see it.

Yep he was nervous at Atlantic 40th, but who wouldn't be after a three hour delay and Robert pulling the "I won't play Stairway" trump card.

I really wish Jimmy would kick back into gear with JPJ. I really don't know why those two haven't teamed up at least once before now. Wonder if its personal or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SuperStatic said:

I really wish Jimmy would kick back into gear with JPJ. I really don't know why those two haven't teamed up at least once before now. Wonder if its personal or something.

I've wondered this often. Hard to think it would be personal. Even on the last tour, musically they were able to produce brilliance (Listen to TU from Zurich or Frankfurt). They seemed fine for Celebration Day and Kennedy Centre Honours.

And they did appear together with Foo Fighters a few years back.

Here's hoping that Page and Jones do team up for something in 2017 (a disctinct possibility if the fires of playing have indeed been lit in Mr Page, and the stars align and the rock Gods nod).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, the chase said:

Why is Jimmy "terrified"?

He performed at The ARMS concerts strung out, out of practice and alongside his 2 main peers and guitarists he's been forever linked to in Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck. Not to mention 77-80 in Zeppelin when his chops were down... He just went for it.

If you think it's...

Lack of motivation? Fine 

Other priorities, like a little thing called LED ZEPPELIN  getting in the way? Absolutely..

Not quite sure how or who to kick it back into gear with? Probably

Terrified??!! Nope! I Don't see it.

Yep he was nervous at Atlantic 40th, but who wouldn't be after a three hour delay and Robert pulling the "I won't play Stairway" trump card.

Emm, did you see the look on his face when he was handed an acoustic guitar on French TV, and when he was reluctantly press-ganged on stage in Seattle. 

Page has endured years of stage fright, which he numbed with alcohol and drugs, and he's always been a shy, nervous nelly.

 The big lay off and weight of expectation will only compound this.

When McCartney left the Beatles, he partly formed Wings so he could stay "match fit" musically.

Page hasn't kicked a ball in years.

In my opinion, nerves and the fear of failure is a huge factor in his procrastination.

 

 

Edited by Boleskinner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rm2551 said:

I've wondered this often. Hard to think it would be personal. Even on the last tour, musically they were able to produce brilliance (Listen to TU from Zurich or Frankfurt). They seemed fine for Celebration Day and Kennedy Centre Honours.

And they did appear together with Foo Fighters a few years back.

Here's hoping that Page and Jones do team up for something in 2017 (a disctinct possibility if the fires of playing have indeed been lit in Mr Page, and the stars align and the rock Gods nod).

Hear, Hear. I REALLY hope Jimmy and JPJ work together at least once more before they both shed their mortal skin (in fact far more so than I would Jimmy and Robert).  JPJ was such an incredible part of the power of Zeppelins music despite the fact he's always been in the back ground. I think they could come up with some fantastic music.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Boleskinner said:

Emm, did you see the look on his face when he was handed an acoustic guitar on French TV, and when he was reluctantly press-ganged on stage in Seattle. 

Page has endured years of stage fright, which he numbed with alcohol and drugs, and he's always been a shy, nervous nelly.

 The big lay off and weight of expectation will only compound this.

When McCartney left the Beatles, he partly formed Wings so he could stay "match fit" musically.

Page hasn't kicked a ball in years.

In my opinion, nerves and the fear of failure is a huge factor in his procrastination.

 

 

That's fine. I disagree. Nerves are one thing. I think any performer will get pre stage jitters ... butterflies.. Being terrified is completely different. Like I also pointed out, he's put his head in the lions mouth more than once. I doubt he's afraid of much. Some are assuming he's not out there because he's afraid.  I don't buy it. 

Funny, just last night I watched JP with Roy Harper from 11/11... Roy was pretty straight forward singing and strumming. Jimmy Page was all over the neck ... one cool, tasteful line after another. He sounded great. This appearance always seems to be overlooked in people's countdowns of his inactivity too.. By me as well.  I just happened to stumble across it last night and was pleasantly surprised.  I'd take an acoustic based Page project any day.. He seemed very comfortable..

Edited by the chase

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×