Quotes of Great Bands/Artists Who Liked/Disliked Led Zeppelin?

MortSahlFan

jimi hendrix said "I dont think much of them, jimmy page is a good guitar player". there are plenty of haters, jack bruce, ginger baker, eric clapton, pete townshend. I heard jim morrison said he didnt like them either but I never saw a legit source.

I'd LOVE to see something on Jimmy Page similar to this nice piece on Angus Young...

I genuinely love to hear proper talented bands/artists who are great in their own right talking about Page and Zeppelin.

I also wish a show like "Classic Rock Albums" would do an episode on Physical Graffiti, or mayby Led Zep 1 or IV.

Clapton, sounding like your maiden aunt, said they were "unecessarily loud".

Alan McGee of Creation Records fame, isn't a 60s/70s figure I suppose, but said "Jimmy Page is like God to me". You wouldn't imagine that, given the other bands he liked / signed. Interesting how many punks secretly liked Zeppelin but couldn't admit it!

15 hours ago, MortSahlFan said:

There's a picture of David GIlmour (PInk Floyd) and The McCartney's at a Led Zeppelin concert, I am guessing they were fans.

that was at knebworth but not for the zeppelin show. it was for the fair in 1976. they were watching the rolling stones. 

oddly enough, despite crossing paths on numerous occasions, I have never heard anything from jimmy page and david gilmour working together or even mentioning each other. they both are good friends with roy harper, jimmy played on one of roys albums that david gilmour produced and yet the never talked about each other. I know robert plant and david gilmour are friends or at least acquaintances. I believe this photo was taken at davids birthday party or something. there are a few others

1041205a57687e94db69f59f9ca02dd1.jpg

Well Hendrix was seriously after Bonzo, saying he had "a foot( or feet) like a bunch of castenets". Not the exact quote, but

close. Prince( ist album 79' ?? Said "Other guitarists play in black and white, Page plays in color"). Ted Nugent said in the 70's Page was an extraordinary guitarist and composer.

5 hours ago, sk8rat said:

that was at knebworth but not for the zeppelin show. it was for the fair in 1976. they were watching the rolling stones. 

oddly enough, despite crossing paths on numerous occasions, I have never heard anything from jimmy page and david gilmour working together or even mentioning each other. they both are good friends with roy harper, jimmy played on one of roys albums that david gilmour produced and yet the never talked about each other. I know robert plant and david gilmour are friends or at least acquaintances. I believe this photo was taken at davids birthday party or something. there are a few others

1041205a57687e94db69f59f9ca02dd1.jpg

And JPJ and David both played together on Roy's HQ lp

"The first album, the chemistry between all the band members is magical. They all played brilliantly, and it feels like the album fell effortlessly from the sky. This particular album still sounds amazing and timeless. Led Zeppelin was one of the records that made me want to play." - Neil Schon, Journey

Santana said Page was kind of a continuation of Hendrix with the unique vision and the sonic architecture. This was

from a Guitar Player in 81' or 82', where a great or famous player was asked to evaluate other greats. I was a kid then

and Jimmy's reputation was still rock solid and he was still a total God, not a great but flawed God seen now. Unless

you were around then, you can't imagine it. Also Van Halen, who initially criticized Jimmy for sounding like he's playing

with broken fingers, later said Jimmy isn't the best executor of what he's trying to play, but when he solos,"the man speaks". Also Halen has said Zep 1 and 2 were amazing albums, the whole band was great. Halen actually used to

play quite a few Zep covers earlier on.

1 hour ago, Mithril46 said:

Also Van Halen, who initially criticized Jimmy for sounding like he's playing

with broken fingers, later said Jimmy isn't the best executor of what he's trying to play, but when he solos,"the man speaks". Also Halen has said Zep 1 and 2 were amazing albums, the whole band was great. Halen actually used to

play quite a few Zep covers earlier on.

I remember reading that quote from Van Halen too and almost fell off my chair laughing. The two times I saw them in Phoenix, EVH (during the 84' show) made Jimmy's playing in Tempe  in 77' look flawless...he was so drunk DLR turned his amps way down and Michel Anthony carried the show. The second time I saw them in 87' EVH played brilliantly though. Whenever I see that quote I think...those in glass houses ya know.

Alex Lifeson cites Page as a major influence and both he & Geddy Lee have said several times how much Zeppelin influenced them.

Yeah, believe it or not when I was just like 12 or so I just knew about 6 or 7 Zep tunes and thought the soloing in

"Working Man" was Page, so close was Lifeson. Steve Vai, believe it or not, has mentioned Page as one of his favorite

guitarists. I remember he mentioned in particular a version or two of Heartbreaker, the middle solo. Think he saw Zep

in Cali in the early 70's, and some of those HB solos were like 50% faster than studio, Page was at virtuoso level at certain

points, so not unusual Vai was impressed, although Vai also praised Page for his overall musicianship, not just guitar.

Another unusual fan: Trey Anastasio(wrong spelling ??), guitarist for Phish. He even got into opiates, unfortunately .The band I believe played all of Zep IV at some show. Can't hear the influence, though.

On 9/25/2016 at 8:50 PM, sk8rat said:

jimi hendrix said "I dont think much of them, jimmy page is a good guitar player". there are plenty of haters, jack bruce, ginger baker, eric clapton, pete townshend. I heard jim morrison said he didnt like them either but I never saw a legit source.

Hendrix was very impressed with John Bonham's drumming technique. 

Right. Not only impressed, I read he wanted to play with him, to form a band possibly, but that is not known for sure.

The thing is, if they played together, I don't think egos would be a problem, just Hendrix can sound like 3 guitarists, as 

Bonzo can sound like 3 drummers. Of course both are totally engaged in making their music sound as best as possible,

but still you're asking huge sound "creators" to back off their natural playing styles.

Michael Schenker, a great guitarist in his own right, said Page couldn't recreate his studio solos, but it didn't matter

that much because Jimmy usually played something interesting live anyway.

8 hours ago, Mithril46 said:

Michael Schenker, a great guitarist in his own right, said Page couldn't recreate his studio solos, but it didn't matter

that much because Jimmy usually played something interesting live anyway.

Not quite true, actually, not true at all. If you listen to live recording made around the time a particular album was released, the solos on songs from that record are usually note for note or damn close to it but slightly expanded upon. Later on after Page was familiar with the tune he would expand even further and create a whole new tapestry. Page's studio solos are pretty good, but his live soloing was much, much better and richer. Of course I am talking the 68'-75' live period in particular but he could also bring it during the 77' - 80' period as well when, um, healthy. 

However, if you really want to hear Page play those solos note for note live just put on a boot from the 95' - 98' P&P tours or the 2000 P & BC shows. Pretty much note for note there.

On 9/27/2016 at 9:51 PM, Mithril46 said:

Steve Vai, believe it or not, has mentioned Page as one of his favorite guitarists.

In this video Vai says that the Heartbreaker solo is what inspired him to play guitar. It's pretty close to the end of the video.

I've heard quite a few over the years, though often after they disbanded.  Prince stated about Led Zeppelin something to the effect "look at Led Zeppelin, every song they played had an entirely different feel".  I recall the Beatles taking time out during a recording and one of the band members telling the others that the "new Zeppelin album is out" with some excitement.

In regards to Hendrix, he probably would have gotten along well with Plant.  As I recall they had a chance meeting at a bar at one point and Plants West coast, hippy infactuation would have shown through.  Let's face it, Page had an ego and was on a mission, as much as they would have respected one another, the nice words of admiration usually come later in life.  It's not unlike athletes before and after retirement.

During their reign there was competition and animosity among other bands who always played second fiddle even when Zeppelin avoided marketing and interviews.  It's just how it would have been.  The only ones who would have been honest about their talent would have been other unquestionable greats such as Elvis who not only told them he liked Stairway when they initially had their awkward introduction to him, but he also stated in concert to his own band:

“Wait a minute. … If we can start together, fellas, because we’ve got Led Zeppelin out there. … Let’s try to look like we know what we’re doing, whether we do or not.”  I am assuming this is about as big a compliment as one would receive from the King.

There are many more I just don't remember them all in this post.

Archived