Quotes of Great Bands/Artists Who Liked/Disliked Led Zeppelin?

MortSahlFan

12 hours ago, Canadianzepper said:

I recall the Beatles taking time out during a recording and one of the band members telling the others that the "new Zeppelin album is out" with some excitement.

That was Glyn Johns attempting to turn George Harrison on to Zep, to little avail, unfortunately. 

http://teamrock.com/news/2014-10-31/beatles-and-stones-dismissed-led-zep-debut

Actually Page did run into Hendrix, but not playing and totally out of it. What was mentioned before about Page playing

the studio solos exact live, from the second album initially 4 or 5, but after that, bits and pieces, like SIBLY. Totally agreed

that the live solos could be 10 times better, but no way did Jimmy play most solos note for note. WIAWSNB, totally note

for note, but even then with minor variations. Rudolph Schenker, Michael's brother, said he loved Jimmy's playing although he was often out of tune. Also I think it was hair band Autograph guitarist Steve something ?? who said that anyone serious about playing guitar would not have the guitar close to the knees like Jimmy. Actually this is a bit misunderstood, Jimmy has big hands AND overlong arms, and he's not playing jazz, I have that profile, it's not as 

limiting as you would think

I think its interesting to note that, for the most part, all of the established English bands that were around before Zeppelin formed really disliked them. But, the bands that came after them (such as) Black Sabbath, Queen, Bad Company etc. were very into what Zeppelin was doing. I can totally understand how they were dismissed by their peers. Zeppelin was unabashedly bombastic, very ambitious, moving very fast, and on an obvious mission to steal the thunder from those who came before them. That constituted on obvious threat, whether or not they appreciated Zeppelin's music. Feeling the thwack from the hammer of the gods must have been very unsettling for those guys, and oddly enough...they're still feeling it. :(

11 hours ago, blindwillie127 said:

I think its interesting to note that, for the most part, all of the established English bands that were around before Zeppelin formed really disliked them. But, the bands that came after them (such as) Black Sabbath, Queen, Bad Company etc. were very into what Zeppelin was doing. I can totally understand how they were dismissed by their peers. Zeppelin was unabashedly bombastic, very ambitious, moving very fast, and on an obvious mission to steal the thunder from those who came before them. That constituted on obvious threat, whether or not they appreciated Zeppelin's music. Feeling the thwack from the hammer of the gods must have been very unsettling for those guys, and oddly enough...they're still feeling it. :(

Good point. Jealousy would have been a big factor with bands that preceded Zep.

I think in the early years detractors viewed them as poor songwriters and derivative and couldn't fathom how they more popular than other more "deserving" bands.

Well that's interesting, not surprised. What was said before about the earlier groups not approving/liking Zep, totally true.

Whether the band ever discussed it or not, live in particular the attitude was like few before them. Every song in every

concert was played with the highest impact possible, whether that force was subtle and delicate or crushingly powerful.

The band was also very ambitious in their musical range. However, particularly in the first year and a half live, there

were portions of shows where because the band had to jam because of a lack of material, there certainly  were trainwrecks at times. Some musicians may have seen this as careless or slipshod attitude towards the audience.

John Lennon on Hit Parader 1970

Q: “Do you think in terms of feelings? Do you think of music, popular music, in terms of emotional reaction as opposed to saying something…”
JOHN: “I think in any of those terms. You know, I just think it’s either something I like or don’t like or it’s heavy or it’s light. I like heavy music, I call it rock. I like Zeppelin, I’ve only heard a couple you know, they’re okay.

Maybe the fact that Zeppelin really didn't sound like anything before threw a lot of pre-Zep bands, like Lennon of the

Beatles, off balance. The ever ongoing thing with Zep ripping off this and that, particularly the blues things, is mainly

in Robert's court. HMMT, Robert surely lifts some Albert King stuff and more, but Jimmy's riffs and solos, where is Jimmy

exactly ripping off another artist's/band's  material in that song ?  There were always intense and raucous rock bands

around, but Zep live early on in particular created such a sonic assault and energy that made many concertgoers 

clamor for long encores, and other bands were surely very jealous. And Zep were able to do this very quickly, within

months of beginning touring. Rather unprecedented.

On September 27, 2016 at 10:51 PM, Mithril46 said:

Yeah, believe it or not when I was just like 12 or so I just knew about 6 or 7 Zep tunes and thought the soloing in

Steve Vai, believe it or not, has mentioned 

in Cali in the early 70's, and some of those HB solos were like 50% faster than studio, Page was at virtuoso level at certain

points, so not unusual Vai was impressed, although Vai also praised Page for his overall musicianship, 

Steve Vai wasn't always so technical minded. Some stuff with Zappa was loose or at least more emotive.

Satch had a huge influence on him later on.

I saw Vai live with DLR , Eat he was paired with Billy Sheehan and during the solo's he played most of Communication Breakdown at a mind blowing speed. Sheehan was playing catch up.

Next time I saw him at  a Monsters in Germany show he was a different player with Whitesnake. Very bland. I liked Adrian Vanderges ? playing better.

I think the playing "in color" was succinct and high praise for Jimmy.

Nowadays, the axe slingers seem so  monochromatic compared to guys like Jimmy , Nugent  Mick Taylor and Keith Richards.

On 10/1/2016 at 11:13 AM, blindwillie127 said:

Totally agree.  Money was probably a very big reason why these guys disliked Zeppelin.  As famous as most of these guys were, they suffered from poor management.  Grant transformed rock management and these guys were simply livid at what they felt was their superior talent but returning from tours flat broke.

1 hour ago, jsj said:

"I'll f*cking kill that Jimmy Page!"

Jake Holmes (reputedly)

Actually, he should be thanking him. I wish someone would steal one of my many disposable riffs and turn it into a masterpiece. Would anybody other than Zeppelin fans know shit about Jake 'Fucking' Holmes if it wasn't for that thieving magpie...wait for it... Jimmy Page. Yes, the man who turned everything he ever stoled into gold. 

4 hours ago, NealR2000 said:

Totally agree.  Money was probably a very big reason why these guys disliked Zeppelin.  As famous as most of these guys were, they suffered from poor management.  Grant transformed rock management and these guys were simply livid at what they felt was their superior talent but returning from tours flat broke.

Exactly. And Zeppelin signing with Atlantic with full artistic control and being tight with Ahmet Ertegan must have blown minds. Nobody had their shit together straight out the box like Zeppelin...nobody. They were immediately a force to be reckoned with. 

Personally I think a big issue in terms of like/dislike from musicians and indeed critics is the generation in question. The likes of The Who, Cream, The Doors, etc all rose to prominence in mid 60's and I think there was a strong expectation all round that the artists of that era would reign from on high for a prolonged period. Zep were I think viewed rather as gatecrashers and its notable that there generally much better regarded by artists who rose to prominence in the early 70's.

The Beatles I think are a little different obviously never been overshadowed less but also I think in terms of having a strong shared interest in classic rock and roll.

3 hours ago, blindwillie127 said:

Actually, he should be thanking him. I wish someone would steal one of my many disposable riffs and turn it into a masterpiece. Would anybody other than Zeppelin fans know shit about Jake 'Fucking' Holmes if it wasn't for that thieving magpie...wait for it... Jimmy Page. Yes, the man who turned everything he ever stoled into gold. 

The same could probably be said of the many blues players that Page "stole" from and were consequently plucked from the jaws of obscurity.

51 minutes ago, greenman said:

Personally I think a big issue in terms of like/dislike from musicians and indeed critics is the generation in question. The likes of The Who, Cream, The Doors, etc all rose to prominence in mid 60's and I think there was a strong expectation all round that the artists of that era would reign from on high for a prolonged period. Zep were I think viewed rather as gatecrashers and its notable that there generally much better regarded by artists who rose to prominence in the early 70's.

The Beatles I think are a little different obviously never been overshadowed less but also I think in terms of having a strong shared interest in classic rock and roll.

While I wasn't around at the time, I would also suggest that many of these artists of the late 60's era may have looked down at Zeppelin for being "shallow", given that they didn't sing about social or political issues such as was popular at the time. While everyone else was out there trying to "change the world" with their anti-war peace love age of aquarius hippie shit, Zeppelin used their music to sing about Vikings, Hobbits, and getting laid. To use an internet analogy, I suspect many of these artists looked at Zeppelin as trolls, butting into their important world-changing movement with their meaningless nonsense. I think many of the 60's idealogues looked down on the shallow hedonism of the 70's, and Zeppelin was kind of the musical figurehead for all that.

8 hours ago, Balthazor said:

While I wasn't around at the time, I would also suggest that many of these artists of the late 60's era may have looked down at Zeppelin for being "shallow", given that they didn't sing about social or political issues such as was popular at the time. While everyone else was out there trying to "change the world" with their anti-war peace love age of aquarius hippie shit, Zeppelin used their music to sing about Vikings, Hobbits, and getting laid. To use an internet analogy, I suspect many of these artists looked at Zeppelin as trolls, butting into their important world-changing movement with their meaningless nonsense. I think many of the 60's idealogues looked down on the shallow hedonism of the 70's, and Zeppelin was kind of the musical figurehead for all that.

I think this is spot on and in the early years a lot of critics viewed Zep as an uncouth, dumbed-down Cream. 

13 hours ago, blindwillie127 said:

I wonder wether you'll feel the same if somebody does steal one of your disposable riffs and makes a ton of money from it that you never see.

10 hours ago, Balthazor said:

Hobbits,

I don't remember a single song about hobbits! Gollum, ringwraiths, the misty mountains and mordor all get a mention sure but I don't recall listening to Whole Lotta Baggins or Stairway to Pippin.

Archived