2016 MLB Playoff Contest...

paul carruthers

Well, it's almost that time again--the baseball postseason. You know how this works--all are welcome to join & the scoring will be tweaked this year, so as to muck things up too much. :D

And remember, after the "Wild Card" games, both American and National League Division Series are best of 5.

Pick your winners and good luck...

The Brackets:

National League:

Wild Card Game: San Francisco Giants vs. New York Mets (winner plays the Cubs)

NL Division Series: LA Dodgers at Washington Nationals

American League: 

Wild Card Game: Baltimore Orioles at Toronto Blue Jays (winner plays the Texas Rangers)

AL Division Series: Boston Red Sox at Texas Rangers

My not-so-stellar picks...

NL Wild Card - Mets

NL Division Series: Cubs over Mets in 5

Nats over Dodgers in 5

NLCS: Cubs over Nats in 6

AL Wild Card - Orioles over Jays

ALDS: Orioles over Rangers in 5

Sawx over Indians in 4

ALCS: Sawx over O's in 6

World Series:  Cubs over Sawx in 7... (I'm sure the brass at MLB is hoping this will be the World Series) :D

Thanks for the work you do Paul!!!  Here goes mine and I have a future ticket I bought in Vegas

National WC game      NY Mets

American WC game    Baltimore Orioles

NL Division Series      Cubs over Mets in 5

NL Division Series    Dodgers over Nationals in 4

NLCS    Cubs over Dodgers in 7

AL Division Series    Boston Red Sox over Cleveland in 4

Al Division Series      Baltimore over Texas in 5

ALCS  Baltimore over Boston in 7

World Series      Baltimore over the Cubs in 7    (oh yeah, going with my heart)  If my boys go South I see the Cubs as a team of destiny.  

Good work, Paul.

AMERICAN LEAGUE

Wild Card: Toronto...sorry ebk and Rick, but I fear Buck Showalter making a bonehead move to cost the Os the game.

ALDS: Boston over Cleveland in 5

ALDS: Texas over Toronto in 4

ALCS: Boston over Texas in 6

NATIONAL LEAGUE

Wild Card: San Francisco...sorry Paul, in Bum I trust. 

NLDS: LA over Washington in 5

NLDS: Chicago over San Francisco in 4

NLCS: Chicago over LA in 6

World Series: Chicago over Boston in 7

Its Tillman vs Stroman in the Orioles/Jays game.  Some are second guessing both managers.  Wondering if Tillman's shoulder is OK and Estrada has the best numbers against the O's.  Stroman is 9-10.  They also said lefties have given us more trouble and thought Liriano was a better choice.  So two positives for Baltimore.  If Tillman is on, we will win this with our superior bullpen.  And Buck will go there early in an elimination game.  

I am too tired and buzzed to make a serious post about this contest.  This is not to be interpreted as to be a slight to Paul because I really respect what he does and the hard work he puts in to this. 

I will say that I hope that the Mets or the Rangers win the 2016 World Series.  As an alternate, I would not mind to see the Indians win it all (even though I have no clue as to who any of the players on the Indians roster are). 

For all the other teams in this 2016 Post-Season, I really can not stand any of them.  Sorry, but I am just being honest.  I hope most of these teams lose and lose bad.  Starting with Baltimore and San Francisco. 

7 hours ago, kingzoso said:

I am too tired and buzzed to make a serious post about this contest.  This is not to be interpreted as to be a slight to Paul because I really respect what he does and the hard work he puts in to this. 

I will say that I hope that the Mets or the Rangers win the 2016 World Series.  As an alternate, I would not mind to see the Indians win it all (even though I have no clue as to who any of the players on the Indians roster are). 

For all the other teams in this 2016 Post-Season, I really can not stand any of them.  Sorry, but I am just being honest.  I hope most of these teams lose and lose bad.  Starting with Baltimore and San Francisco. 

This thread is for contest entries.  Not for your two cents.

Oops - forgot about this.  If I'm too late paul, feel free to totally ignore this.  I'll probably wish to ignore it myself... '

AL

Wild Card - Os

ALDS

Indians over Saux in 4

Os over Rangers in 5

ALCS

Indians over Os in 5

NL

Wild Card - Giants

NLDS

Dodgers over Nats in 5

Cubs over Giants in 4

NLCS

Cubs over Dodgers in 7

World Series

Cubs over Indians in 7 (because 7 games is the best)

I think I did that right... 

On October 2, 2016 at 7:37 PM, paul carruthers said:

Well, it's almost that time again--the baseball postseason. You know how this works--all are welcome to join & the scoring will be tweaked this year, so as to muck things up too much. :D

And remember, after the "Wild Card" games, both American and National League Division Series are best of 5.

The Brackets:

National League:

American League: 

Wild Card Game: Baltimore Orioles at Toronto Blue Jays (winner plays the Texas Rangers)

AL Division Series: Boston Red Sox at Texas Rangers

Don't know anything that's happened - didn't even realize playoffs started today.  Here it goes, if allowed...

WC Games - Mets and Orioles

Divisional Series - Cubs and Dodgers; AL is confusing based on Paul's post...I thought Boston was playing Cleveland?  I'll go with Boston and Texas.

Championship Series - Cubs and Red Sox

World Champions - Cubs in 6

15 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

This thread is for contest entries.  Not for your two cents.

My one cent was correct and the orioles lost.  My second cent is that the Giants lose and lose bad to the NYY Mets. 

I suppose this really messes with your MLB Playoff Contest picks. 

GO RANGERS!!!

43 minutes ago, kingzoso said:

My one cent was correct and the orioles lost.  My second cent is that the Giants lose and lose bad to the NYY Mets. 

I suppose this really messes with your MLB Playoff Contest picks. 

GO RANGERS!!!

Do not bother me again.  You are no friend of mine.

43 minutes ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Do not bother me again.  You are no friend of mine.

We are not friends because WE have never met.  I am 45 years old and really one of the coolest and nicest persons that you (or anyone) could ever meet. 

I am very glad that the Baltimore orioles lost and lost by a home-run in the bottom of the 11th because I am so sick and tired of your espousing that the orioles were going to win the 2016 World Series.  Your posts just proved to Me that you are a very delusional orioles fan that keeps hoping that the orioles will win a WS when the last time they did was 33 years ago. 

I know that you are tired of a MLB history lesson, but the chances of a Saint Louis Cardinals World Series win is a more probable scenario then an orioles win.  Obviously not this year but for many more years in the Future. 

On 10/2/2016 at 4:37 PM, paul carruthers said:

The Brackets:

National League:

American League: 

AL Division Series: Boston Red Sox at Cleveland Indians

Fixed it for you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, this is long overdue--and no one probably cares anyway. What with football being back in the swing, I think. Anyways, the final totals...

ebk: 60

Strider: 50

Walter: 40

paul carruthers: 35

LedZeppfan1977: 20

So congrats again to ebk, Queen of the Regular season and the postseason...

:thumbsup:

1 hour ago, paul carruthers said:

Well, this is long overdue--and no one probably cares anyway. What with football being back in the swing, I think. Anyways, the final totals...

Up pops the devil!  Sean said you were missing in action?  But I see your posts  all over the bloody place!  So you cant wait for another baseball go?  I am going to ream your arses this year!!!  I will not be taking the Twins this time.  I assure you.  I will return to the top   The thing is, we must wait to see the big moves and many are a coming.  I mean, free agency is just starting.  We have no idea what will transpire? We know one thing, the Cubs will be the favorites to repeat.   I do not think they need Chapman either.  As big a weapon he can be he can also be  liability if you know  how to get to him. Slap a single int the outfield with your lead off man.  Put your fastest man on base to drive him nuts.  He is no monster out of the stretch, is bad on defense, if the ball is bunted for instance.  He has plenty to learn. He can be exploited as the Indians did to him in one game.  

I am watching those pesky Atlanta Braves.  You are not going to keep Atlanta down for long.  They are after Matt Wieters and I am going to see if my owner has a true desire to win.  He must sign Wieters.  And I hope Trumbo.  Now we could do OK without him if we sign anther power outfielder in his place?  But who?  I am for signing Trumbo.  He was a better clutch power hitter than even Cruz.  He won a ton of games with timely HRs.  We also need a leftie starter.  So 3 things to put us right smack in the race.  Wieters, Trumbo and  a very good leftie starter.  This of course with showing Jiminez the fucking door

3 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

I care!  I won!! :D 

Thanks for doing this Paul.  Glad you're back!

And for anyone who's interested (me, me, me., me!!!!), spring training starts in 90 days!!!!!

On 11/14/2016 at 1:57 PM, paul carruthers said:

Congratulations ebk! :cheer:

Thank you for another job well done Paul.

Archived