Castro has died

kipper

24 minutes ago, kipper said:

I didn't think this belonged in the RIP thread but I just heard that Fidel Castro died.

I do believe I was the first to post this news about an hour ago in the Rest in Peace thread (although I did say that I did not say RIP Fidel Castro). 

I do believe that a Communist Dictator who ruled a small island Nation for over 50 years a mere 90 miles from the coast of Florida and was at the center of the most critical days during the United States "blockade" of Russian Medium range Ballistic Missiles entering Cuba, does not merit a topic/thread unto himself.  Unless you were a devoted fan of said dead dictator. 

An Arch Nemesis of the United States of America is dead.  I am very grateful for his death.  It should have happened 45 years ago. 

2 minutes ago, kingzoso said:

I do believe I was the first to post this news about an hour ago in the Rest in Peace thread (although I did say that I did not say RIP Fidel Castro). 

I do believe that a Communist Dictator who ruled a small island Nation for over 50 years a mere 90 miles from the coast of Florida and was at the center of the most critical days during the United States "blockade" of Russian Medium range Ballistic Missiles entering Cuba, does not merit a topic/thread unto himself.  Unless you were a devoted fan of said dead dictator. 

An Arch Nemesis of the United States of America is dead.  I am very grateful for his death.  It should have happened 45 years ago. 

Obama must be so disappointed the U.S. flag was already at half mast (for a former Secretary of Defense).

2 hours ago, kingzoso said:

Wow , you were the first to post were you, give that man a cigar. :sarcastic_hand:

You know, wishing someone dead is pretty shitty especially just because you do not agree with their politics. I am sure there were many who felt the same when Reagan or Nixon died, but what does it mean? It means nothing that's what because these people are all the same, do the same things just to support THIER system, nothing more. One really cannot vilify Castro yet heap praise on a Kennedy or Ike because they are just different sides of the same coin. 

Leaders of nations are pretty much all the same, its just the ideology and degree to which they will go which sets them apart. Believe me, no leader ever thought, "uh, I hate those assholes, I think I am gonna round them all up and kill or imprison them." No, it never works that way, instead the guy believes those people, or that policy is a real threat and so they act. That is the whole problem with leadership, I believe everyone starts out with a good idea, at least in their mind and then everything gets distorted and events take on a life of their own.

I believe the great Henry Wallace said it best in several of his speeches, particularly in regard to the Soviets, "Instead of taking a confrontational stance against a people who have just lost over 22 million citizens, how about we work together, let the two systems (capitalism & communism) compete side by side and let the best system win in fair competition."

If our government would have taken Mr. Wallace's advice, taken the right path, and worked with the Soviets Castro likely would never have happened, nor would Korea or Vietnam, or Nicaragua, or the dozens of other clusterfucks we got ourselves into simply by demonizing a system we just did not agree with.

For all his faults, just like the rest of us, may Fidel Castro indeed rest in peace.

11 hours ago, kingzoso said:

I made the thread because it is a big news story like the death of Bin Laden. It doesnt belong in the RIP thread but I didn't make it to honor him just say he was finally dead.

3 hours ago, IpMan said:

You know, wishing someone dead is pretty shitty especially just because you do not agree with their politics. I am sure there were many who felt the same when Reagan or Nixon died, but what does it mean? It means nothing that's what because these people are all the same, do the same things just to support THIER system, nothing more. One really cannot vilify Castro yet heap praise on a Kennedy or Ike because they are just different sides of the same coin. 

Leaders of nations are pretty much all the same, its just the ideology and degree to which they will go which sets them apart. Believe me, no leader ever thought, "uh, I hate those assholes, I think I am gonna round them all up and kill or imprison them." No, it never works that way, instead the guy believes those people, or that policy is a real threat and so they act. That is the whole problem with leadership, I believe everyone starts out with a good idea, at least in their mind and then everything gets distorted and events take on a life of their own.

I believe the great Henry Wallace said it best in several of his speeches, particularly in regard to the Soviets, "Instead of taking a confrontational stance against a people who have just lost over 22 million citizens, how about we work together, let the two systems (capitalism & communism) compete side by side and let the best system win in fair competition."

If our government would have taken Mr. Wallace's advice, taken the right path, and worked with the Soviets Castro likely would never have happened, nor would Korea or Vietnam, or Nicaragua, or the dozens of other clusterfucks we got ourselves into simply by demonizing a system we just did not agree with.

For all his faults, just like the rest of us, may Fidel Castro indeed rest in peace.

Faults??...really dude?

FB_IMG_1480195779416.jpg

2 hours ago, zepscoda said:

Faults??...really dude?

FB_IMG_1480195779416.jpg

Half of that original line is a Pence political stance, as I'm sure you're already aware of.  With that said, I know Castro was the Kim Jong Lee of his time and the world is a better place with him gone.  I don't understand these different political leaders giving him any positive (directly or indirect) statements now that he's dead.  Btw, it's not just the lefties who are giving him a pass....

10 hours ago, IpMan said:

Spoken like an American public university educated libtard, a self-proclaimed "citizen of the world". Next you'll exclaim "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter" or some other such nonsense.    

9 hours ago, kipper said:

No way not for him. My friends in Miami are celebrating right now.

The purpose of The RIP Thread is outlined in my thread-starting post for it: a primary thread to chronicle noteworthy deaths so the general forum doesn't look like Obituary.com. 

23 hours ago, kipper said:

I didn't think this belonged in the RIP thread but I just heard that Fidel Castro died.

Good riddance. Like Che Guevara, whatever idealistic motives he may have started out with in the beginning, curdled into the usual tinpot dictatorship megalomania traits common to his type. He ended up doing more harm than good.

12 hours ago, Strider said:

Good riddance. Like Che Guevara, whatever idealistic motives he may have started out with in the beginning, curdled into the usual tinpot dictatorship megalomania traits common to his type. He ended up doing more harm than good.

Of course he did, but he and the movement did not start out that way. The Batista Regime was dictatorial as well, and just as bad as what Castro would evolve into, the difference was the Batista Regime was controlled by the American Mob and business interests so that made all of Batista's crimes ok since it served American interests. In 1959 Castro wanted to meet with Ike and partner with the US, it was Ike who told Castro to piss off and, that the US was going after him, that's when Castro began to change...I wonder why. All these future dictators, Ho Chi Minh, Mao Zedong, and Castro all originally approached the US in a spirit of partnership and trade, they were nationalist, not communist, they turned to communism only after the US had turned them down and directly challenged them in response to support French & English empire in the far east and our empire in the carribean. 

If you take away anothers options, corner them, and then try as aggressively as possible to kill them, how do you think they will respond? All three of those leaders and the situations which were brought about were all a direct result of the failed Truman Doctrine, in other words, we created our own demons, they did not spring forth on their own.

15 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

The purpose of The RIP Thread is outlined in my thread-starting post for it: a primary thread to chronicle noteworthy deaths so the general forum doesn't look like Obituary.com. 

I dont disagree with a thread for noteworthy deaths but RIP is the wrong term to use for people who dont deserve to rest in peace Steve. And what about noteworthy deaths that should have their own threads?  When David Bowie died i really didn't agree that it should just be in the RIP thread along with serial killers and terrorists.  When another member of zep passes (I hope not for a long time), but it will get its own thread too.  some things are always going to be more noteworthy than other things and members here should be able to decide for themselves what that is and if Sam disagrees he will lock the thread or delete it or move it into another thread. If you make a obituary thread instead of Rip I will use that one steve. Thanks.

1 hour ago, IpMan said:

Of course he did, but he and the movement did not start out that way. The Batista Regime was dictatorial as well, and just as bad as what Castro would evolve into, the difference was the Batista Regime was controlled by the American Mob and business interests so that made all of Batista's crimes ok since it served American interests. In 1959 Castro wanted to meet with Ike and partner with the US, it was Ike who told Castro to piss off and, that the US was going after him, that's when Castro began to change...I wonder why. All these future dictators, Ho Chi Minh, Mao Zedong, and Castro all originally approached the US in a spirit of partnership and trade, they were nationalist, not communist, they turned to communism only after the US had turned them down and directly challenged them in response to support French & English empire in the far east and our empire in the carribean. 

If you take away anothers options, corner them, and then try as aggressively as possible to kill them, how do you think they will respond? All three of those leaders and the situations which were brought about were all a direct result of the failed Truman Doctrine, in other words, we created our own demons, they did not spring forth on their own.

this does not need to get political IPman.  if Castro was trying to help his people he didnt do a very good follow up with that. when people risk death to swim to freedom then something is very wrong.

Archived