2017 Major League Baseball thread....

paul carruthers

Hey, Rick.  I am watching the Cardinals play the Rockies on the MLB Network with the Cardinals winning 4-0 in the top of the 7th.  What I wanted to note was what the announcers were saying about your Orioles.  In a nutshell, they were saying that your man Zach Britton will probably be traded at the deadline and that the Orioles are basically not going to make even a Wild Card appearance.  They said that the Orioles starting pitching is not that good but the bullpen was better.  It is because the starting pitching is not that good that the Orioles will not make the 2017 Post-Season.  (That is what they said, not me.  I am not trying to antagonize you). 

At the time I am posting this, two Cardinals hit back to back Home Runs against the Rockies.  Cardinals 6 - Rockies 0. 

On 7/21/2017 at 3:54 PM, Bong-Man said:

JD's contract is up and the Tigers can't afford him.  The days of $200 million + team payrolls are over, at least around here.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Tigers were eventually sold.  As for Verlander & Miggy, who really wants them ?  Verlander could help a team, but not with his contract.  The Tigers would have to cough up big dough to move him, and I don't think they're prepared to do that right now.  Miggy won't be himself the rest of the year.  Teams are interested in Avila the catcher, so I guess Daddy gets the unique honor of trading him.  Our minor leagues are bare.  I see some lean years ahead in Tiger Town.  That's okay though.  We fielded a decent team for ten years, and the owner opened his wallet to try and win it all.  That's about all a fan can expect these days.    

Yes its brutal.   No loyalty in sports any more either.  I agree that the huge contract days have to come to and end, maybe but for a few elite players but I see many empty seats around and I do not know how they can pay these players these kind of salaries if that continues.  Its bad enough the  price of getting  a decent ticket.  I have to travel a great distance to see my team.  And right now they are a mess.  Two starting pitchers that Showalter and or Duquette just do not seem to know are washed up are killing us.  I would release them now .  Right now.   Give a kid from the minors a shot.  Or make a damn trade.   Trading Britton would be stupid.  I would trade Brad Brach in a minute.  He has a good rep, was an all star last year, and was the closer with good numbers while Britton was gone.  He could get us a return I would think.  Send him and a handful of others with him.  Doing nothing seems to be the answer around Baltimore. And they just cannot get on a roll with those two bums in the rotation.  The next three games expect wins potentially as our three "good pitchers" are going.  

Back to Detroit, I wonder if Cabrera will ever be the same?  Not sure of his age?  But the Tigers are likely in full rebuild mode, and the White Sox are well underway in theirs in that division.  The Twins had the Dodgers 5-0 last night and freakin lost.  Unreal.  And Santana was pitching I believe. Likely lost by the bullpen.  To me the big mistake in this day and age is pull the starter after the 7th inning no matter what.  The fear of injury and such.  But that is how games are being blown.  A guy is hot, you leave him in. 

Back to Detroit, I wonder if Cabrera will ever be the same?  Not sure of his age?  But the Tigers are likely in full rebuild mode, and the White Sox are well underway in theirs in that division.

He's carrying extra weight, and he went to play for Venezuela before preseason and got hurt.  He hasn't had his normal approach to hitting all year because he's protecting his hip and groin.  Everyone's pitching him inside, because the words out he can't use his legs.  He's 34, and it's time to take off-season training seriously, which he's reportedly never done.  What's happening in Venezuela and worries about his family probably isn't helping his mind either.  As a fan, it would be nice to see him close out his career in a ballpark with normal dimensions.  You're right about the White Sox.  They'll be the team to beat in the AL Central in a year or two.        

19 minutes ago, Walter said:

34? You know the South American players are notorious for understating their age...  

Yep....defensive ends named Ansah too.  Never heard of Miggy's age being in dispute though.

4 hours ago, Bong-Man said:

Yep....defensive ends named Ansah too.  Never heard of Miggy's age being in dispute though.

Me either, but I don't think I ever publicly heard about Albert Pujols either. My father-in-law is very close to the Cardinals organization and a certain legendary manager said he knew that Pujols was 3-4 years older than what he was listed as. No biggie either way...

On 7/24/2017 at 10:12 PM, kingzoso said:

Hey, Rick.  I am watching the Cardinals play the Rockies on the MLB Network with the Cardinals winning 4-0 in the top of the 7th.  What I wanted to note was what the announcers were saying about your Orioles.  In a nutshell, they were saying that your man Zach Britton will probably be traded at the deadline and that the Orioles are basically not going to make even a Wild Card appearance.  They said that the Orioles starting pitching is not that good but the bullpen was better.  It is because the starting pitching is not that good that the Orioles will not make the 2017 Post-Season.  (That is what they said, not me.  I am not trying to antagonize you). 

At the time I am posting this, two Cardinals hit back to back Home Runs against the Rockies.  Cardinals 6 - Rockies 0. 

I agree totally and am disgusted with Duquette.  He should have addressed this nightmare of a rotation from day one.  We have Gausman, Tillman and Bundy.  Three solid guys surrounded by two bums that are killing our season.   Miley and Jiminez.  Miley sucks big time.  SUCKS.    Get rid of that sack of shit.  Why not give that kid in Norfolk a shot?  They have a very good lineup.  They need another outfielder.  But the infield is exceptional if healthy.  And they have not been healthy all year.  One has been out at one time or another.  Now its Hardy.  Next up, Machado's contract.  It is just scary  If they let him get away they might as well sell the franchise.  That is how big a deal signing him is.  Duquette has cost us a shot at the division title.  Does he think he can wait until the 11th hour to make it happen?  Bastard.  Lets see how they fair vs the most messed up team other than Cincy.  IN Texas today.  Tillman on the mound and off his best outing of the season.  Yes I bet the Orioles.  Pounded them with Houston, Atlanta, Cubs, Miami, KC, Pitt and Seattle.  And now I see Bundy is not listed. I wonder what happened to him?  Likely on the DL.  Britton is not going to be given away.  And the Dodgers are likely trying to steal him.  Its not going to happen.  If you want the best closer ini the game who holds the modern era record for saves and its still going, you are going to have to give us a blue chip player or go take a fucking walk.

Well Hellickson is an Oriole.  They must feel there is time to overcome this.  But putting that sack of shit Miley back on the mound today is not something I like.   We have to hit and we need a big winning streak.  There is time, especially given the fact that Boston is not playing that well.  I like the move for Hellickson.  I hope his wife is ok?  Car accident after the trade.

Justin Wilson & Avila to the Cubs.  Wilson will help their bullpen big-time.  Tigers seem hell-bent on finding a real 3rd baseman, because Castellanos isn't one.  Verlander got a standing ovation yesterday after a solid outing.  Remains to be seen if that was his last Tiger appearance.

10 hours ago, redrum said:

The fire has gone out of the Giants. They're playing like it was the 1970's again.

A rare sweep of the Giants by the Dodgers. I briefly thought about going to the game yesterday but didn't feel like baking in the sun after drinking the night before.

46 minutes ago, Strider said:

A rare sweep of the Giants by the Dodgers. I briefly thought about going to the game yesterday but didn't feel like baking in the sun after drinking the night before.

I don't blame you. Even that desert heat couldn't fire up the Giants.

Damn Rick....you guys look worse than us....and that ain't easy.  

I think Houston missed the boat on Verlander.  They could use a veteran presence that's been there, and he can still be dominant.  He just beat them and threw 98 mph doing it.  Curious how much cash the Tigers were willing to put up to complete a deal.  He's cleared waivers, so something could still happen there before September.   He's a 5/10 guy, but he knows the writing's on the wall here.   

22 hours ago, Bong-Man said:

I think Houston missed the boat on Verlander.  They could use a veteran presence that's been there, and he can still be dominant.  He just beat them and threw 98 mph doing it.  Curious how much cash the Tigers were willing to put up to complete a deal.  He's cleared waivers, so something could still happen there before September.   He's a 5/10 guy, but he knows the writing's on the wall here.   

Tillman is a sack of shit that was just placed in the bullpen, and he will see little action from here on out.  Gausman is pitching well.  Very well.  You have to realize we are without Trumbo and Hardy and Mancinni missed a game in this series.  Trumbo will return on the West coast trip.  I expect us to even the score today.  I saw it coming with Tillman.  We have Gausman, Bundy, Hellickson (who was lights out in his first game with us and pitched a shutout). and this kid Castro deserves to start now IMO.  The Bullpen is good and Britton is back.  Britton being gone for two months cost us being in first place with Boston.  Its a fact.  Now at least Showalter has accepted Tillman has lost it. So moving forward I expect us to make a serious run at this division and or wild card.  The Tigers bats woke up two series ago.  So they are as hot as they are going to be. But in that division, they are doomed. It is the toughest division right now.  Cleveland and KC who rallied big time. Even though, strangely, they are saying this is it for KC.  Its made a run now, and clean house at years end I hear.  Maybe its about payroll?  No doubt.  But I hear many will be gone in KC

13 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Tillman is a sack of shit that was just placed in the bullpen, and he will see little action from here on out.  Gausman is pitching well.  Very well.  You have to realize we are without Trumbo and Hardy and Mancinni missed a game in this series.  Trumbo will return on the West coast trip.  I expect us to even the score today.  I saw it coming with Tillman.  We have Gausman, Bundy, Hellickson (who was lights out in his first game with us and pitched a shutout). and this kid Castro deserves to start now IMO.  The Bullpen is good and Britton is back.  Britton being gone for two months cost us being in first place with Boston.  Its a fact.  Now at least Showalter has accepted Tillman has lost it. So moving forward I expect us to make a serious run at this division and or wild card.  The Tigers bats woke up two series ago.  So they are as hot as they are going to be. But in that division, they are doomed. It is the toughest division right now.  Cleveland and KC who rallied big time. Even though, strangely, they are saying this is it for KC.  Its made a run now, and clean house at years end I hear.  Maybe its about payroll?  No doubt.  But I hear many will be gone in KC

On 8/5/2017 at 11:01 AM, Bong-Man said:

They were out of their minds not to move Heaven and Earth to get Zach Britton and may pay the price, even if its in the Series.  Looks like we made amends and took your boys out to the wood shed.:drunk:

Those filthy fucking Mutts.  Cant even score two runs for me.  

Archived