2017 Major League Baseball thread....

paul carruthers

There is a crucial series that begins in about 12 hours today between the Saint Louis Cardinals and the Chicago Cubs.  

I will not say and predict the outcome, but this is a game changing 3 game series for both of these teams.

GO SAINT LOUIS CARDINALS!!!

8 hours ago, Walter said:

Don't they play each other a bunch of times the last couple weeks of the season? At least they control their own destiny. No excuses.

Yes.  The Cardinals and Cubs play this series at Wrigley Field and also play a series in Saint Louis.  The Cardinals also play one more series against Milwaukee.

The Cardinals lost today 8-2.  

8 hours ago, kingzoso said:

Rick, this a benign question.  Do you think your Orioles still have a chance at a Wild Card spot?

Yankees beat them last night.  

Your Cards had better do something today against the Cubs.  Good luck!

48 minutes ago, Walter said:

Yankees beat them last night.  

Your Cards had better do something today against the Cubs.  Good luck!

We are dead and stinkin.  Thanks for nothing Duquette. Asshole.  Knew we had shit for pitching and killed us from the start.  Baltimore has a very good team and lineup.  But no starting pitching other than Gausman and Bundy.  The only two worth keeping.

I bet KC last night. For two reasons  The law of averages, and Vargas

1 hour ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

We are dead and stinkin.  Thanks for nothing Duquette. Asshole.  Knew we had shit for pitching and killed us from the start.  Baltimore has a very good team and lineup.  But no starting pitching other than Gausman and Bundy.  The only two worth keeping.

I bet KC last night. For two reasons  The law of averages, and Vargas

Yeah...the pitching stinks, but lets not let the offense off the hook.  We've got the lowest batting average, on-base percentage, and probably every offensive category average in the majors in September.  You can't win if you don't hit.

1 hour ago, redrum said:

SF doing their best to lose 100 games. <_<

I have stopped watching. And I paid for MLB.  I have to see what off season moves my GM makes  I will most likely get it again next year so I can see the games and avoid having to watch the Yankees and Mets.  But Duguette can turn this around fast with two good starters.  He has a team here.  4 playoff appearances in 6 years so he best get moving.

For those that read my posts regarding the Saint Louis Cardinals, I never give up or waver until it is definitely confirmed that the Cardinals are out of contention for a Play Off spot.  I still refuse to count them out, but I will admit that the Cardinals have to win games now and win games big .  There is still a chance for them,, unlike most other teams in Major League Baseball.

All AL Divisions are pretty much settled...Boston, Cleveland, and for the first time in 16 years, Houston.

Which leaves the WC...which looks to be a lock for the Yankees and Twins. Angels chances are dwindling.

So ebk and Rick...is it worse losing to Boston or New York?

17 hours ago, Strider said:

All AL Divisions are pretty much settled...Boston, Cleveland, and for the first time in 16 years, Houston.

Which leaves the WC...which looks to be a lock for the Yankees and Twins. Angels chances are dwindling.

So ebk and Rick...is it worse losing to Boston or New York?

Never want to lose to those Damn Yankees.  Never.  I'd sooner have the Saux win all 3 here if it keeps the Yankees from ending up in first place.

I'm that bitter... ;)

Any concerns about all these home runs being hit this season? Lingering doubts about juiced balls or juiced players? Even the pitchers are getting in on the action this year...Lester, Scherzer, Bumgarner.

Camden Yards was the place to be if you like home runs. 250 hit there so far this season. 

Home runs taking over again--could be just an aberration, this year (I hope). I'm not sure if the quality of pitching has changed much this season--as far as I know, strikeouts are still high. 

Anyway, Sale is going for Boston tonight--although I think Kluber has jumped ahead in the Cy Young race...

17 hours ago, Strider said:

Any concerns about all these home runs being hit this season? Lingering doubts about juiced balls or juiced players? Even the pitchers are getting in on the action this year...Lester, Scherzer, Bumgarner.

Camden Yards was the place to be if you like home runs. 250 hit there so far this season. 

This chick does not dig the long ball.  I much prefer a well pitched, 2 hour game.  

Although I do admit that Manny's walk-off grand slam on my birthday was sweet...

If Miami's Stanton gets to 61 or 62, does that make him HR season king in your eyes or do you still consider Bonds, McGwire, and the others numbers legit? 

Bonds 73 or Maris 61...which season hr mark do you recognize? Should Bonds & Co. have an asterisk or should their numbers be totally expunged and removed from the record books?

^^ Well, I'm sure I've rambled about this before--but, for better or worse--I think you have to recognize all the numbers in MLB. I think there should be a lot of asterisks in baseball--including Pete Rose--but I won't go there again.

Home runs seem so bland these days anyway, but still, if Stanton were to get 60, I guess it would still be a nice number...

4 minutes ago, paul carruthers said:

^^ Well, I'm sure I've rambled about this before--but, for better or worse--I think you have to recognize all the numbers in MLB. I think there should be a lot of asterisks in baseball--including Pete Rose--but I won't go there again.

Home runs seem so bland these days anyway, but still, if Stanton were to get 60, I guess it would still be a nice number...

Why Pete? He didn't use PEDs. His gambling had no bearing on his performance. His numbers are legit. Keep him out of the HoF if you want but there is no cause to besmirch his play on the field.

^^ What I meant by Pete was--if he ever gets to Cooperstown--there should be an asterisk on his statue to denote that he did gamble. I've said it before, but I don't see what Pete did that should keep him banned for eternity. Hell, there are plenty of guys in the Hall right now or still eligible who have done worse.

I remember Pete once saying if he had been a drug abuser or a wife-beater or some other kind of degenerate, he would have been forgiven by now. But, it is what it is...

The Saint Louis Cardinals are doing what They do best and winning games when these games really count.  They are currently 1.5 games from the second National League Wild Card spot.  After their next two game stint with the Pirates, the Cardinals play host to the Cubs and then the Brewers. 

For Saint Louis Cardinals fans like myself, there is going to be a lot of drama and anticipation in the last few days left of Major League Baseball.

Win or fall, the Saint Louis Cardinals will always be Champions.  Love Them or Hate Them, They will always be a Team to be Respected.

Archived