Slate Chocolate Marble
Slate Chocolate Marble

Led Zeppelin Official Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
paul carruthers

2017 Major League Baseball thread....

404 posts in this topic

"Why Rangers signing Mike Napoli likely moves Shin-Soo Choo into more DH at-bats"

Pretty good read:

 

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/texas-rangers/rangers/2017/02/16/rangers-signing-mike-napoli-likely-moves-shin-soo-choo-dh-bats

However the bigger  story down here is will the Rangers ownership put up the money for Darvish or move him. ...IMHO he's worth every penny.  The city of Arlington voted in November to build them a new stadium.  Ownership better make Darvish an offer that will persuade him to stay. ...when that guy is on his game, it's surreal to watch. That ball moves all over, it's like watching bugs bunny!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2017 at 7:59 PM, Walter said:

Hey you picked up some southpaw from the Yanks today....for cash or future prospect. ;) 

You were no addressing me were you?  We got someone from the Mets, not Yankees to my knowledge.  Likely headed to Norfolk or Bowie?  Maybe Esther knows?  I am so mad that they did not keep Wieters.  Not because my only jersey is of Matt Wieters, to add insult to injury, but because the guy is just plain great and I do not know what Duquette is doing?  i know this Castillo is supposed to be good and his numbers are good, but I do not know if he can throw out runners like Matt.  We do not play Washington.  But if Kingzoso reads this, we do host his Cardinals for 3 games and the Cubs for 3.  I am hoping we address getting another good outfielder as Adam Jones has called out the GM on.  Our bullpen is top two IMO along with the Dodgers.  Its is going to have to be.  I am expecting guys like Gausman and Wilson to really improve this year.  But one more god arm and an outfielder would be nice.  Other than that, at least we signed Trumbo.  And we have our big boys all back.  So the baseball writer from CBS says he is not making the mistake of underestimating Baltimore again.  He is projecting that we go over our 84 projected wins that Vegas has put on us.  Toronto is in the same territory, the Yankees a couple below and Boston a few above.  No doubt Boston and Cleveland are the pre season favorites.  Tough to argue with their starting rotation.  I believe we can get at least a Wild Card. WE certainly should given our level of talent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rick, we do play Washington.  Twice.  Once in each stadium. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 2/26/2017 at 2:21 PM, ebk said:

Rick, we do play Washington.  Twice.  Once in each stadium. 

Thanks.  I did not see that. And I am surprised because we play the NL Central this year  Typically you play one division in inteleague play?  Strange that we play them.  I guess I can burn my Wieters jersey.  Sucks big time.

If you see this EBK, so it seems we must have much faith in Gausman which I do, Bundy which I am hopeful, and the rest?  The Bullpen is rock solid. In fact I will go as far to say its top two with the Dodgers.  We do not have the scary big name starters that Boston has.  Gausman and Bundy are better than most know.  Wilson could be a sleeper in this lineup.  Tillman is a stud also as we know.  So we have at least 3 good arms to start.  Miley, is a 4 -5 inning guy that you just have to cross your fingers with and then give it to the pen.  Jiminez is still here?  WHY?  He killed us in the playoff game.  He may as well have tossed the ball in underhand vs Toronto.  And losing to Bautista is more of an insult than I can tolerate.  I believe we will get in.  Many do not believe in us but with 5 gold gloves, the best power in the game and the great pen, we can be in this thing to the finish.

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Thanks.  I did not see that. And I am surprised because we play the NL Central this year  Typically you play one division in inteleague play?  Strange that we play them.  I guess I can burn my Wieters jersey.  Sucks big time.

If you see this EBK, so it seems we must have much faith in Gausman which I do, Bundy which I am hopeful, and the rest?  The Bullpen is rock solid. In fact I will go as far to say its top two with the Dodgers.  We do not have the scary big name starters that Boston has.  Gausman and Bundy are better than most know.  Wilson could be a sleeper in this lineup.  Tillman is a stud also as we know.  So we have at least 3 good arms to start.  Miley, is a 4 -5 inning guy that you just have to cross your fingers with and then give it to the pen.  Jiminez is still here?  WHY?  He killed us in the playoff game.  He may as well have tossed the ball in underhand vs Toronto.  And losing to Bautista is more of an insult than I can tolerate.  I believe we will get in.  Many do not believe in us but with 5 gold gloves, the best power in the game and the great pen, we can be in this thing to the finish.

We play the Nats each year because "rivalry"  or something stupid like that.  We play the Central, but every team plays the team in their area from the other league each year.  So ... there you go.

You know me, Rick.  I have no confidence in the team.  So I'm pleasantly surprised when we do well, and not devastated when we stink.  Which I'm sure we will do this year - stink.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, ebk said:

We play the Nats each year because "rivalry"  or something stupid like that.  We play the Central, but every team plays the team in their area from the other league each year.  So ... there you go.

You know me, Rick.  I have no confidence in the team.  So I'm pleasantly surprised when we do well, and not devastated when we stink.  Which I'm sure we will do this year - stink.

I do not know how you can say that Esther.  Honestly.  The baseball writer at CBS says he will not make the mistake of underestimating the Orioles this year.  They are projected in Vegas to win 84 and the sportswriter says they will win more.   If you win 90 you have a huge shot at the playoffs.  And I say we have the bats, the bullpen, the gloves to do it.   Have a little faith Esther.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

If only the Mets starting rotation can stay healthy this year--talk about a team to watch out for...

 

 

pitching-smiley-emoticon.gif

Edited by paul carruthers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

11 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I do not know how you can say that Esther.  Honestly.  The baseball writer at CBS says he will not make the mistake of underestimating the Orioles this year.  They are projected in Vegas to win 84 and the sportswriter says they will win more.   If you win 90 you have a huge shot at the playoffs.  And I say we have the bats, the bullpen, the gloves to do it.   Have a little faith Esther.

I will wish you, Rick and the Baltimore Orioles "Good Luck" this year.  Actually Good Luck to all Major League Baseball Teams. 

Obviously, as a Saint Louis Cardinals fan, I have high expectations for them every year.  The Cardinals really never seem to disappoint their fans, although last year they failed to make the Post-Season (by one game) for the first time since 2010.  Not a bad run if you ask me. 

Edited by kingzoso
edited to add: I do see that Saint Louis plays three games in Baltimore during the later part of the season. Those three games may be an important series if these two teams are in the Playoff hunt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, kingzoso said:

I will wish you, Rick and the Baltimore Orioles "Good Luck" this year.  Actually Good Luck to all Major League Baseball Teams. 

Obviously, as a Saint Louis Cardinals fan, I have high expectations for them every year.  The Cardinals really never seem to disappoint their fans, although last year they failed to make the Post-Season (by one game) for the first time since 2010.  Not a bad run if you ask me. 

Well I have not heard from you in some while King.  I seriously doubt that your Cardinals can beat out the Cubs for the division and also my Orioles will have a tough time beating out the Red Sox for first place due to the starting rotation only.  But I do believe a Wild card is very possible for both of our teams.  

 

Oh, by the way, your Cardinals will play in Baltimore for 3 days.  I forget the dates.  They are easy enough  to find on any site.  I have MLB subscription with Direct TV and can access it from my cell phone.  We have to play those Cubbies too.

 

I just looked it up and do see we play two home and two away vs the Nationals and Matt Wieters.  I have  hard time accepting his departure

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

As I pondere the upcoming season and the experts saying that my team is in a tough division and once again the lack of faith them boils down to the starting rotation.  I do not understand Duquette?  Why is Jiminez still here?  Makes my blood boil.  So he is going to put his faith in the bullpen to get it done.  I mean, ,we do have the best closer in the game.  Hands down.  Zach Britton is the best closer in baseball.  I dare anyone to argue that.   We have along with the Dodgers the best middle relief in the game and we will have to to contend.  Our starters are going to be Gausman, who I think will be very good, Tillman, who is proven, and then it gets dicey.  Will Wilson or Wright be able to crack the lineup?  Gallardo is gone.  Jiminez should not be here.  They have a couple of new faces but no big names.  Duquette disappoints me.  All the SOB had to do is get us one big time arm.  Just one. And he did not.  So its going to be kill the ball, play great defense with  4 gold glovers and Wieters gone, and hope to God we have  a good one run record.  The power we have.  The gloves we have.  The infield is defensively to me the best in baseball.  Adam Jones is as good as any center fielder. So Kim or Rickard are in LF and maybe they put Trumbo in right for half the games and DH him the rest, when Alvarez is not the DH.  The Cubs, Indians and Red Sox are all highly touted as are the Mariners and Nationals.  The Mets have the big arms but IMO, do not have a good enough team to help them out.  So far I am leaning toward the Reds to be my sleeper.  Maybe grab a Wild card?  They can hit, that is for sure.  One thing I must fear is the upcoming contract of Manny Machado.   To me, the Orioles MUST SIGN HIM.  If not, you might as well send the franchise back to another city.  No fan including me would ever forgive them for that.  I am having a hard time forgiving them for letting Wieters go.

 

Just gazed at the schedule and odds.  First, we have our opener vs Toronto and Stroman.  A tough opener.  Gausman goes for us, and am going to predict he will have a very good season.  I consider him to be perhaps our best starter.  Two guys that really could give us a shot in the arm are Wilson and Wright.  Wilson last year had  2-0, 2 hit shutout in Boston.     Not bad.  The Red Sox will play the first month without Price.  I am hoping that we can take advantage of that?  We never get any respect from the so called experts.  They are picking us for 4th.  Incredible.  How can you pick the Yankees ahead of our lineup I would like to know?  The CBS writer does say he picks Baltimore to win more games than projected.  And his number is 84.  So if we  win more than 84 we should be right there.  He was 16-5 last year.

If you go to 5 dimes you can match any two teams against each other to make it to the series and see lets say what $5 would fetch you.  A beltway series that I am sure EBK would love is paying off the charts.  I think over $600 for a finski.  

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I try not to get too caught up in the radar gun, but reports have Matt Harvey touching 97 in his last outing, so hope springs eternal. Health, that may be the only issue with the Mets rotation & is the lineup solid enough to back up those young arms. Can't wait for Opening Day...

 

 

pitching-smiley-emoticon.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

I try not to get too caught up in the radar gun, but reports have Matt Harvey touching 97 in his last outing, so hope springs eternal. Health, that may be the only issue with the Mets rotation & is the lineup solid enough to back up those young arms. Can't wait for Opening Day...

 

 

pitching-smiley-emoticon.gif

But I question their lineup in the field Paul.  Yes  you have the starting pitching.  Not so sure about the pen.  But the starters are great.  The team on the other hand?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They have the Orioles and Red Sox on ESPN.  Machado is playing and they say he is a free agent now and they are guessing a $400 million dollar contract for him and Harper.  Well, if the Orioles are stupid enough to let him get away regardless of the price, I may never watch another game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice, I see another Orioles fan on here. I hope the Starting Pitching of the O's with Bundy and Gausman can come into there own with Tillman and we can be a real force. We have the Bullpen and Offense to rival any team. The Starting pitching is just what is going to have to come together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2017 at 3:08 PM, *Dazed and Confused* said:

Nice, I see another Orioles fan on here. I hope the Starting Pitching of the O's with Bundy and Gausman can come into there own with Tillman and we can be a real force. We have the Bullpen and Offense to rival any team. The Starting pitching is just what is going to have to come together.

There are 3 of us.  Welcome. EBK (Esther) has season tickets and has the luxury of living in the area.  I have met her in the flesh and she is great.  So I was wondering if you were a fan when you picked us t win the division.  I know Boston will be a handful and so will Toronto.  The Yankees may be better than advertised but i would be shocked to see them win it.  I am very confident in Bundy and Gausman and I believe those two will be huge.  Tillman worries me with this cortizone shot.  Anyway, the 4th and 5th man are not set in stone.  I am not sure about Lee or how good he is?  Miley?   A 4 inning guy and then you give it to the pen.  We and the Dodgers to me are the best two pens in the game.  We have the best closer.  Baseball has become too much of a business.  My Matt Wieters jersey is useless.  Now we have to worry about the Yankees stealing Machado.  

 

We need more to get on the contest site.   Come on Strider!  Don't forget.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Opening Day, Monday--Syndergaard vs. the Bravos. Can't wait...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, paul carruthers said:

Opening Day, Monday--Syndergaard vs. the Bravos. Can't wait...

 

 

I hope your boys have pitchers that can hit?  Because someone has to hit?  LOL  The Nats have far more bats than your boys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Bongman, if you happen to some on this thread, do you think the Tigers have a shot in that division?  Its a tough division to really read.  Because we know Cleveland is loaded.  But we know Detroit is good but how good?  And if there is a sleeper its the young White Sox.  Who knows what is going on there?  Sure Sale is gone.  But I hear they have some good young arms. That is where you get guys like Tom Seaver and Vida Blue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With any luck my Jays shall stand up and be counted - and with even more luck my Montreal Expos will begin the first steps to coming back to life this season - can the rumours be true? Can it actually be happening? We wait and see!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today is Opening Day for the 2017 Major League Baseball Season.  For the third year in a row, the Saint Louis Cardinals are opening up the season, this year against the their main rival and defending Champions, the Chicago Cubs.  As much as I dislike the Chicago Cubs, I do respect them.  Them winning last years World Series (after a 108 year old drought), was impressive, however the Saint Louis Cardinals have won more World Series than anyone in Baseball history after the New York Yankees. 

Love it or Hate it, this is a true fact. 

The one thing that I am proud of (among many), is the fact that the Saint Louis Cardinals are always a Team to be reckoned with.  The Cardinals made the Post-Season every year from 2010-2015 and They missed the Playoffs last year by ONE game. 

Can anyone deny that the Saint Louis Cardinals a fluke or a one hit wonder?  With all this factual data, am I wrong?

When was the last time anyone's favorite Team been to the Post-Season as much as the Cardinals have since the year 2000?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, kingzoso said:

Today is Opening Day for the 2017 Major League Baseball Season.  For the third year in a row, the Saint Louis Cardinals are opening up the season, this year against the their main rival and defending Champions, the Chicago Cubs.  As much as I dislike the Chicago Cubs, I do respect them.  Them winning last years World Series (after a 108 year old drought), was impressive, however the Saint Louis Cardinals have won more World Series than anyone in Baseball history after the New York Yankees. 

Love it or Hate it, this is a true fact. 

The one thing that I am proud of (among many), is the fact that the Saint Louis Cardinals are always a Team to be reckoned with.  The Cardinals made the Post-Season every year from 2010-2015 and They missed the Playoffs last year by ONE game. 

Can anyone deny that the Saint Louis Cardinals a fluke or a one hit wonder?  With all this factual data, am I wrong?

When was the last time anyone's favorite Team been to the Post-Season as much as the Cardinals have since the year 2000?

Lets look forward for once.  I am absolutely dumbfounded by my fellow Orioles fan and friend EBK, as she has made her picks and has our Orioles out of it and your Cards in.  I do not care about the Cards in part.  I am not the only one picking Baltimore to win in the East or at least get a Wild Card.  I give them one hell of a shot and our lineup is damn good.  Our bullpen can make up for some depth in the starting rotation.  So King, I have not looked yet, but have you made your picks in the contest ?  If not why don't you get them in.  I am sure we will forgive you if you cant do it until tomorrow and then only 3 games are missed.  So the Yankees get the first pitch I see.  But the Cubs and Cards are on natioinal TV.  I think I am worried more about our ownership making sure Machado does not escape than anything.  We MUST SIGN HIM AND MATCH ANY OFFER.   There is no letting this kid go.  He is a franchise player. Good luck, and enjoy your Cardinals. I have bought the MLB package so I can watch Baltimore every game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have zero interest in watching the Yankees open the season--sorry Walter. But, Bumgarner vs. Greinke at 4pm should be a good one...

 

 

pitching-smiley-emoticon.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, paul carruthers said:

I have zero interest in watching the Yankees open the season--sorry Walter. But, Bumgarner vs. Greinke at 4pm should be a good one...

 

 

pitching-smiley-emoticon.gif

Yes.  Amen to that.  I hope Sanchez strikes out every time he is up.  MLB prediction show is on.  Harold has us 2nd and in with a WC.  Love the guy.  I cant blame others for picking Boston on top because they spent on pitching.  I am hoping Baltimore's inactivity is a sign of them getting ready to pony up for a $400 million dollar hit to sign Machado for life

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My boy Harold on MLB is picking my Birds second with a Wild Card and all because Machado will be the MVP.  Others pick Trout.  Cant blame them.  But nobody is picking any team in the West other than Houston, Seattle or Texas.   Angels and Oakland are in rebuild.  As are the Phillies, Braves and Harold says the Braves will be better than expected, and I agree.  I am counting on Buck to keep us in this thing to the end and learn from his mistake of not using Britton in that one off

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0