2017 Major League Baseball thread....

paul carruthers

It is positively blazing out here...102° as I type this. Players better hydrate themselves often or else there will be a lot of cramping on the field.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/10/23/game-1-in-los-angeles-will-probably-be-the-hottest-world-series-face-off-on-record/?tid=a_inl&utm_term=.b93963629c0f

9 hours ago, Walter said:

:veryhot: 

Go Dodgers!

Indeed.  I want the Dodgers too.   I am a bit scared of tonights game.  Verlander.  Hill not having his best year but he is good.  Its asking too much to shut down this Astros team two games in a row.  The Dodgers may have to out slug them.  But they can get to Verlander.  Unless he is truly in the zone.  

I don't expect the Dodgers to beat Verlander tonight. Besides, I don't want a sweep...I want a good, exciting 7-game series.

Best thing about last night's game (besides the win) was that it was only 2 hours and 28 minutes. It is so rare to get a baseball game under three hours these days...especially a playoff game. The game zipped by so fast, it was over in time for me to go to a concert last night.

It was also nice to see Larry King back in his seat next to Mary Hart. Mary has been there every night...she's a stalwart. But Larry was MIA for a bit. I just hope he doesn't melt in the heat.

10 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Indeed.  I want the Dodgers too.   I am a bit scared of tonights game.  Verlander.  Hill not having his best year but he is good.  Its asking too much to shut down this Astros team two games in a row.  The Dodgers may have to out slug them.  But they can get to Verlander.  Unless he is truly in the zone.  

Well the Yankees shut them down pretty well until the last couple of games and we didn’t have that great of pitching.  We shall see...

46 minutes ago, Walter said:

Well the Yankees shut them down pretty well until the last couple of games and we didn’t have that great of pitching.  We shall see...

The Yankees-Astros series was all about home-cooking. Each team played well at home and terrible on the road. Houston got 4 home games to the Yankees 3...that was the difference in the ALCS. In the World Series the Dodgers have home field advantage so Houston only gets 3 home games. That makes tonight's game imperative for Houston to win.

57 minutes ago, Strider said:

The Yankees-Astros series was all about home-cooking. Each team played well at home and terrible on the road. Houston got 4 home games to the Yankees 3...that was the difference in the ALCS. In the World Series the Dodgers have home field advantage so Houston only gets 3 home games. That makes tonight's game imperative for Houston to win.

Agreed.  But losing 2-1 in both games 1&2 was hardly dominance and proves to me Houston can be beaten at home - especially to a team as talented as the Dodgers.  Good luck tonight!

6 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

This is a team that was 56 games above 500.  Bums?  Ok.  I still pick the Dodgers to win.

Come on Rick, surely a baseball nut such as yourself knows that the Dodgers were always referred to as "Dem Bums" in Brooklyn?

Looks like we got ourselves a real Fall Classic. Good...sweeps are usually not fun to watch. I fully expected the Astros to win Game 2 behind Justin Verlander and tie this Series up going to Houston.

I just didn't expect it to be in such a wild and woolly fashion. I figured Verlander would shut 'em down and pitch an economical game just as Kershaw did the night before. Everyone on the East Coast, kids included, gets to go to bed before 11pm.

But no...Dave Roberts has to pull Rich Hill way too early and begin the start of multiple commercial breaks for pitching changes. That early hook would have repercussions down the line for the Dodgers.

In short, Game 2 was the polar opposite of Game 1.

I knew something was askew when I came out of my friend's movie premiere after 9pm last night and saw the Dodger game was still on TV...FIVE hours later! Right away, I figured the game must be in extra innings.

Glad to see Vin Scully last night. If only he hadn't retired last year. And old Larry King survived another 100° game.

With mountains to the east, sunset to the west, Dodger Stadium always looks great.

34 minutes ago, zepscoda said:

^ nice pics... is that beer any good?

It will very interesting to see what, if any, adjustments Darvish makes. If there's a team in the league that knows his stuff the best, it's Houston. 

It's actually wine, so I'd say the chances of it being any good are slim :)  However, I'd get a bottle just for a collection, should I be inclined to collect such things.  Like a bottle of 2004 50th Orioles Anniversary cab.  Which I will never open, because what's the point... 

Looks like the Astros haven't forgotten Yu's stuff. 

Archived