Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
craigled

football

Recommended Posts

LedZed66   
Champions League starts this evening. I'm looking forward to the Tottenham : Dortmund game tomorrow. :popcorn2:
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Mook said:

Such a poor team that Man Utd haven't beaten them in their last four attempts & managed to finish seven points behind them in May?

So last season we won 3 pieces of silverware. Not bad for starters?

Liverpool, I believe have not won The Premier League since since the 1989-90 season. That is a long time ago. In fact the last time their hands were on a trophy was the League Cup 5 years ago.

I really hope for a great season where everyone at least tries to win games instead, as we did at Anfield last year, park the bus and play dull defensive football?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mook   
20 minutes ago, chillumpuffer said:

So last season we won 3 pieces of silverware. Not bad for starters?

Liverpool, I believe have not won The Premier League since since the 1989-90 season. That is a long time ago. In fact the last time their hands were on a trophy was the League Cup 5 years ago.

I really hope for a great season where everyone at least tries to win games instead, as we did at Anfield last year, park the bus and play dull defensive football?

Yes, I can confirm that Mourinho generally plays a billionaire version of alehouse Football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JTM   
43 minutes ago, chillumpuffer said:

So last season we won 3 pieces of silverware. Not bad for starters?

Liverpool, I believe have not won The Premier League since since the 1989-90 season. That is a long time ago. In fact the last time their hands were on a trophy was the League Cup 5 years ago.

I really hope for a great season where everyone at least tries to win games instead, as we did at Anfield last year, park the bus and play dull defensive football?

Liverpool have never won the Prem unfortunately . The really good days are long gone. At least they have won Big Ears five times, a feat unequaled by any other British Club, eighteen pre-prem league titles is not to bad either,...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Strider   
On 9/12/2017 at 4:55 AM, Xolo1974 said:

Ha! I just spat out my coffee. Everton! Jesus Christ. I'm from the red half of the city. As Shankley said "if Everton were playing in my garden I'd draw the blinds"

Ha! Now you've gone and made me spit out me tea! I'd draw the blinds on half the EPL teams.

I'm afraid Liverpool will disappoint me again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Strider said:

Ha! Now you've gone and made me spit out me tea! I'd draw the blinds on half the EPL teams.

I'm afraid Liverpool will disappoint me again.

I will take Leicester City over Liverpool and Tottenham over both.  But I think our buddy above has it right with MU unless MC can beat them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LedZed66   
6 hours ago, JTM said:

Liverpool have never won the Prem unfortunately . The really good days are long gone. At least they have won Big Ears five times, a feat unequaled by any other British Club, eighteen pre-prem league titles is not to bad either,...

The 2005 CL Final was nerve-wracking. What a game and a great win by Liverpool. And a shocking discovery: English sides can win penalty shootouts :ohmy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LedZed66 said:

The 2005 CL Final was nerve-wracking. What a game and a great win by Liverpool. And a shocking discovery: English sides can win penalty shootouts :ohmy:

Lets hope England is ready for this upcoming World Cup.  I have to cheer for someone.  America has no shot.  Hey Chillypuffer, Manchester City is starting to catch fire

You know, I do not remember Huddersfield being in the Premier League before?  Are they a transferred franchise or were they there?

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

You know, I do not remember Huddersfield being in the Premier League before?  Are they a transferred franchise or were they there?

They were promoted from the Championship (the second division of English football). Every year teams get relegated (i.e., demoted) from the Premier League, the Championship, League 1, and League 2 (the last two are the 3rd and 4th divisions of English football) - usually it's the bottom three teams that go down. These are the true professional teams that are part of the Football Association (the FA). Below that are the "non-league" teams - there are several divisions there as well.

As you logically can figure out, teams also get promoted from League 2, League 1, and the Championship every year as well to replace the relegated teams. So, it keeps each league fresh every year.

I'll let a native explain the ways teams are promoted - the short version is that the top team in each league always goes up, the teams beneath them either are promoted directly as well or, more commonly, have a playoff to qualify for promotion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's far too complicated to explain. Basically, excluding the Premier League, top 2 teams are promoted to the higher leagues and the next 4 teams are in a play off. There are 3 leagues and one non league league. The non league sides only 1 are promoted. Bottom 2 or 3 sides are relegated to lower leagues. Simple

After the Euro leagues it's back to normal this weekend. We are entertaining Everton who have the fat boy and serial drink driver Rooney in their side. He will get a good reception at Old Trafford but expect songs relating to his liking to "play away" 

For what it's worth here are my predictions for this weekend:

Huddersfield v Leicester. Home win

Liverpool v Burnley. Home win

Newcastle v Stoke. Draw

Watford v Man City. Away win

West Brom v West Ham. Draw

Tottenham v Swansea. Home win

Chelsea v Arsenal. Draw

Manchester United v Everton. Home win

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Xolo1974   
17 hours ago, LedZed66 said:

The 2005 CL Final was nerve-wracking. What a game and a great win by Liverpool. And a shocking discovery: English sides can win penalty shootouts :ohmy:

What a game that was. Best game of footie I've ever been to. Check this out - my wife got it for me for my 40th - ticket, programme, passport visa etc

IMG_0726.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Xolo1974   
2 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

It's far too complicated to explain. Basically, excluding the Premier League, top 2 teams are promoted to the higher leagues and the next 4 teams are in a play off. There are 3 leagues and one non league league. The non league sides only 1 are promoted. Bottom 2 or 3 sides are relegated to lower leagues. Simple

After the Euro leagues it's back to normal this weekend. We are entertaining Everton who have the fat boy and serial drink driver Rooney in their side. He will get a good reception at Old Trafford but expect songs relating to his liking to "play away" 

For what it's worth here are my predictions for this weekend:

Huddersfield v Leicester. Home win

Liverpool v Burnley. Home win

Newcastle v Stoke. Draw

Watford v Man City. Away win

West Brom v West Ham. Draw

Tottenham v Swansea. Home win

Chelsea v Arsenal. Draw

Manchester United v Everton. Home win

 

Just to show I'm a good sport (even with utd supporters), I'm going to put my money where your mouth is and put $20 (I'm in Australia) on these selections. I'll let you know the odds I get mate 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Xolo1974   
2 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

It's far too complicated to explain. Basically, excluding the Premier League, top 2 teams are promoted to the higher leagues and the next 4 teams are in a play off. There are 3 leagues and one non league league. The non league sides only 1 are promoted. Bottom 2 or 3 sides are relegated to lower leagues. Simple

After the Euro leagues it's back to normal this weekend. We are entertaining Everton who have the fat boy and serial drink driver Rooney in their side. He will get a good reception at Old Trafford but expect songs relating to his liking to "play away" 

For what it's worth here are my predictions for this weekend:

Huddersfield v Leicester. Home win

Liverpool v Burnley. Home win

Newcastle v Stoke. Draw

Watford v Man City. Away win

West Brom v West Ham. Draw

Tottenham v Swansea. Home win

Chelsea v Arsenal. Draw

Manchester United v Everton. Home win

 

....good selection but I have my doubts about the Chelsea aresenal game - think it might be a home win 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LedZed66   
1 hour ago, Xolo1974 said:

What a game that was. Best game of footie I've ever been to. Check this out - my wife got it for me for my 40th - ticket, programme, passport visa etc

IMG_0726.JPG

You saw that game live in Istanbul?????    :notworthy:
How did you survive that? I almost got a heart attack watching it on TV.

What an affectionate gift from Mrs. Xolo!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LedZed66   
3 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

It's far too complicated to explain. Basically, excluding the Premier League, top 2 teams are promoted to the higher leagues and the next 4 teams are in a play off. There are 3 leagues and one non league league. The non league sides only 1 are promoted. Bottom 2 or 3 sides are relegated to lower leagues. Simple

After the Euro leagues it's back to normal this weekend. We are entertaining Everton who have the fat boy and serial drink driver Rooney in their side. He will get a good reception at Old Trafford but expect songs relating to his liking to "play away"

:hysterical:

I like Wayne Rooney, especially his Mini-me on Special 1 TV

 

Edited by LedZed66

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Xolo1974 said:

....good selection but I have my doubts about the Chelsea aresenal game - think it might be a home win 

Could be.

I cannot stand Wenger. I am using my head here. Nothing gives me greater pleasure, apart from a fat joint of my green, than seeing Wenger moan about the ref or the assistant ref and seeing his side get beat. " So what did you reckon Arsen about the red card for your man shooting the Chelsea player?" "eerrrrrr I didn't see anything in it........................." Contd p94

Must have been a great Night in Istanbul man? I didn't watch the game at the time but heard about it obviously. In fact I don't think I've ever seen the match :o

I don't bet myself but please don't waste a crisp bill on my selections. But if you do and win, then I will PM my bank details for a wodge of greenbacks to be transferred over or you can buy a couple of packages for me and Mrs CP to be there for the Perth Ashes test!;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, LedZed66 said:

:hysterical:

I like Wayne Rooney, especially his Mini-me on Special 1 TV

 

Nothing against the dim one at all. He was tremendous for us. Always found his interviews, how can i put it, enlightening. A laymen would never believe he was a native Englishmen at all, as his command of our great language was always a treat for the PC education brigade. Then again he does have a lot of money and married to a "model" but lives in an atrociously designed mansion in a part of Cheshire that us Mancunians would really like North Korea to nuke.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ForEvermore said:

They were promoted from the Championship (the second division of English football). Every year teams get relegated (i.e., demoted) from the Premier League, the Championship, League 1, and League 2 (the last two are the 3rd and 4th divisions of English football) - usually it's the bottom three teams that go down. These are the true professional teams that are part of the Football Association (the FA). Below that are the "non-league" teams - there are several divisions there as well.

As you logically can figure out, teams also get promoted from League 2, League 1, and the Championship every year as well to replace the relegated teams. So, it keeps each league fresh every year.

I'll let a native explain the ways teams are promoted - the short version is that the top team in each league always goes up, the teams beneath them either are promoted directly as well or, more commonly, have a playoff to qualify for promotion.

Thanks to you and Chill for the explanations.  As for your picks Chillenpuffer I tell you now Leicester City will not lose this game.  I pick them. I pick MC by 2 or 3 and MU also.  Also like Tottenham, they are 2 goal favorite in Vegas where the lines are put out on any sport on Earth.  I will also pick W Brom and Chelsea to win.  I thought Rooney played for MU?  

PS.  We do not throw rocks at the refs like over there, though at times I wish we did, but we do throw balls at them like yesterday when the Detroit Tigers hit the home plate umpire for ejecting two guys including the manager.  It can get nasty

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Thanks to you and Chill for the explanations.  As for your picks Chillenpuffer I tell you now Leicester City will not lose this game.  I pick them. I pick MC by 2 or 3 and MU also.  Also like Tottenham, they are 2 goal favorite in Vegas where the lines are put out on any sport on Earth.  I will also pick W Brom and Chelsea to win.  I thought Rooney played for MU?  

PS.  We do not throw rocks at the refs like over there, though at times I wish we did, but we do throw balls at them like yesterday when the Detroit Tigers hit the home plate umpire for ejecting two guys including the manager.  It can get nasty

Rooney signed for Everton in the close season - it was big news here but it may have escaped "The Rochester Chronicle". Ironically it's his boyhood club. We nicked him years ago. It's all gone full circle for the chubbage one.

Neither do we (throw rocks at the ref). I think you are getting confused with Cricket in India. If you even throw a lozenge onto the pitch here you are ceremoniously ejected from the crowd, fined or banned from all  grounds or at best have to watch Morcambe. One very unfortunate dimwit chucked his mobile phone onto the pitch at some player ( was it at Anfield?) and it didn't take long before the filth tracked him down and serve with him with his punishment. Might as well chucked his passport !

By the way man please get my name right. CP or Chill is fine. Chillenpuffer or Chillypuffer ain't.;)

I can tell you love Leicester Rick but that doesn't mean you have to choose them for a win every week. They are 17th in the league and for a good reason - they're shite. The heady days of 2 seasons ago are a mere memory for them and us. If they make the top 5 this season I'll gladly give up smoking weed and bare my arse in Burtons window

 

Edited by chillumpuffer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, chillumpuffer said:

Rooney signed for Everton in the close season - it was big news here but it may have escaped "The Rochester Chronicle". Ironically it's his boyhood club. We nicked him years ago. It's all gone full circle for the chubbage one.

Neither do we (throw rocks at the ref). I think you are getting confused with Cricket in India. If you even throw a lozenge onto the pitch here you are ceremoniously ejected from the crowd, fined or banned from all  grounds or at best have to watch Morcambe. One very unfortunate dimwit chucked his mobile phone onto the pitch at some player ( was it at Anfield?) and it didn't take long before the filth tracked him down and serve with him with his punishment. Might as well chucked his passport !

By the way man please get my name right. CP or Chill is fine. Chillenpuffer or Chillypuffer ain't.;)

I can tell you love Leicester Rick but that doesn't mean you have to choose them for a win every week. They are 17th in the league and for a good reason - they're shite. The heady days of 2 seasons ago are a mere memory for them and us. If they make the top 5 this season I'll gladly give up smoking weed and bare my arse in Burtons window

 

Prepare yourself Chilly.  The Rochester paper, which I rarely read these days due to the internet is called the "Democrat and Chronicle" just so you know.  They are online.  Soccer news does get here as for an American city, Rochester is actually one of the best soccer towns in the USA.  Now anyone can dare to argue this, but they played vs Pele and the NY Cosmos for the title in the late 70's when they were the Rochester Lancers on national TV.  They were a good team.  It was the biggest league of the day   the MLS of yesteryear.  Why we did not get the franchise into the MLS is likely due to local jackass's that did not want to go the extra mile to make it happen, though they drained us on tax's to build this brand new soccer only stadium and the minor league baseball team is at a separate stadium.  They even built a "fast Ferry" as it were called that was to cross Lake Ontario year round from Rochester to Toronto and back.  It lasted a month.  The Australian built boat was sold.  Likely a good thing because I cannot imagine crossing this frigid lake in February.  They would need ice breakers and a bubble system, like in the St Lawrence River.  Go Leicester City!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LedZed66   
3 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Nothing against the dim one at all. He was tremendous for us. Always found his interviews, how can i put it, enlightening. A laymen would never believe he was a native Englishmen at all, as his command of our great language was always a treat for the PC education brigade. Then again he does have a lot of money and married to a "model" but lives in an atrociously designed mansion in a part of Cheshire that us Mancunians would really like North Korea to nuke.  

Well, I liked Rooney as a player. He looks very sturdy but had great technical skills.

Good heavens, what has Cheshire done to you? For me, the English -shires sound pastoral, but that's a wrong impression, I suppose. It's not Middle-earth ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LedZed66   

The videos of the singing Cologne fans in London go viral.

Arsenal will win 10:0 or more. Poor 1. FC Köln. Poor Mr. LedZed :console2:

#returnofthegoat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I guess Chill was not around in the 70's when stoning of refs was well documented

I was around in the 70's but the only stoning I did was out of a joint:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×