football

craigled

Congrats to Liverpool. 4 outstanding quarter and semi-final games!
Real vs. Liverpool should be a goalfest. I don't expect a 0:0 after 90 minutes.

Unfortunately I cannot watch the CL final. Got tickets to a concert that evening :smack:

11 hours ago, LedZed66 said:
Congrats to Liverpool. 4 outstanding quarter and semi-final games!
Real vs. Liverpool should be a goalfest. I don't expect a 0:0 after 90 minutes.

Unfortunately I cannot watch the CL final. Got tickets to a concert that evening :smack:

Unfortunately I can't either as it's Liverpool. 😉

38 minutes ago, Strider said:

I have been subsumed by life lately and haven't been paying much attention to sports but I thought I saw that Roma beat Liverpool? So why is Liverpool in the Final instead of Roma?

Liverpool won the first leg (at home) 5 -2. Roma won the second leg in Rome 4-2. Aggregate score 7-6 to Liverpool. Therefore Liverpool progress to the Final.

14 minutes ago, chillumpuffer said:

Liverpool won the first leg (at home) 5 -2. Roma won the second leg in Rome 4-2. Aggregate score 7-6 to Liverpool. Therefore Liverpool progress to the Final.

Shite. I missed both matches. Now it makes sense.

10 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Unfortunately I can't either as it's Liverpool. 😉

Unfortunately I know exactly what you mean. My "no way to watch"- team are Barcelona 💩  So I missed some CL finals, too

6 hours ago, Strider said:

Shite. I missed both matches. Now it makes sense.

You missed two very entertaining and thrilling matches. Brave Roma never gave up. Champions League is the best competition in football.

On 5/1/2018 at 7:16 PM, ForEvermore said:

Sat., May 19th.

Manchester City are no doubt the deserving champions.  Some year.  I think they could beat Barcelona perhaps.  How many on this team will be on the first team of England's World Cup team?  And speaking of which, Jamie Vardy is on.  No doubt.  But Leicester has really fallen into the shit house

2 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Manchester City are no doubt the deserving champions.  Some year.  I think they could beat Barcelona perhaps.  How many on this team will be on the first team of England's World Cup team?  And speaking of which, Jamie Vardy is on.  No doubt.  But Leicester has really fallen into the shit house

Well, don't be surprised by that. Leicester's title run two years ago is something that happens once every 20-25 years in top-flight English football - I seem to remember a title in the mid-90s by Blackburn that was unexpected in the same way. Otherwise, the teams that are supposed to be at the top end up winning (from the 90s up to today those teams would be Liverpool, Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea, and Manchester City - Tottenham Hotspur are trying to join that group, but they aren't quite there yet).

Many of Man City's best players are from abroad - I'll let a Citizen fan point out which ones are on both teams.

On 5/4/2018 at 10:09 AM, LedZed66 said:

You missed two very entertaining and thrilling matches. Brave Roma never gave up. Champions League is the best competition in football.

Ain't that the truth. I'd rather watch EPL and CL football than the World Snore any day of the week.

Had a great time at the Orlando City game yesterday with neighbors and friends. The team scored a sixth straight victory, longest in club history. Made some new friends from the UK who were here on holiday and decided to take in a match and party with us. Good times all around! 💜

6E602B7C-6509-4DE8-9F48-7E8C6F3F683F.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

That looked like a great time, Walter!

Just some congratulations to give out before the big one next weekend - congratulations to Man City for winning the Premier League title (but Liverpool sure had your number this year), congratulations to Atletico Madrid for winning the Europa League title (they have won that title a lot since 2010), and congratulations to Chelsea for winning the FA Cup again yesterday.

Good luck to Liverpool next weekend against Real Madrid in the Champions League Final.

3 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

World Cup is coming!!!!  The only soccer most of us Americans really care about.

Well, I'm American, and I love soccer/football worldwide. :)

After next weekend, everyone will be all about the World Cup - next weekend's UEFA Champions League Final is the Super Bowl of European soccer/football.

8 hours ago, ForEvermore said:

Well, I'm American, and I love soccer/football worldwide. :)

After next weekend, everyone will be all about the World Cup - next weekend's UEFA Champions League Final is the Super Bowl of European soccer/football.

The World Cup to me is the only true World championship event other than the Olympics.  (some events).  The NFL is only in America.  The NBA too even though there is much interest abroad in the NFL in England and in hockey, the NHL, in many countries.   And in baseball  pretty much the US and Japan.   So the World Cup of soccer is the only real World championship of all continents.  (excluding Antartica of course).  The US did not qualify but that is not because they had no chance to.  Its never going to be as big as the "big 4", football, baseball, basketball and hockey.  Once every 4 years there is great interest.  The premier league has picked up a bit of momentum here but its only the die hard soccer fans that watch.  And they are a vast minority.   I live outside a city that should have an MLS franchise but they screwed that up.  Soccer is pretty big here.   Rochester, NY.  Had the old Lancers here, and played against Pele and the Cosmos in the title game back in the 70s.  They built a for soccer only stadium and the promise of joining the MLS and it fell through, like everything else here.  Lied to us  So the team that did exist, the Rhino's they were called, were in a different north American league that was pretty big geographically.  They lost the team this year with the promise that they would come back next year. Maybe they have fixed it?   Not sure. Dont care.  I saw them play the Chicago Fire of the MLS here once.  The Rhinos beat them, when they were the champions of the league they were in.    I look forward to watching the World Cup, will be interesting it being in Russia.   I am not convinced the usual favorites are as good as advertised.  Like Argentina, way overated.  Germany may be also.  I expect some surprises.

On 5/21/2018 at 1:26 PM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

The World Cup to me is the only true World championship event other than the Olympics.  (some events).  The NFL is only in America.  The NBA too even though there is much interest abroad in the NFL in England and in hockey, the NHL, in many countries.   And in baseball  pretty much the US and Japan.   So the World Cup of soccer is the only real World championship of all continents.  (excluding Antartica of course).  The US did not qualify but that is not because they had no chance to.  Its never going to be as big as the "big 4", football, baseball, basketball and hockey.  Once every 4 years there is great interest.  The premier league has picked up a bit of momentum here but its only the die hard soccer fans that watch.  And they are a vast minority.   I live outside a city that should have an MLS franchise but they screwed that up.  Soccer is pretty big here.   Rochester, NY.  Had the old Lancers here, and played against Pele and the Cosmos in the title game back in the 70s.  They built a for soccer only stadium and the promise of joining the MLS and it fell through, like everything else here.  Lied to us  So the team that did exist, the Rhino's they were called, were in a different north American league that was pretty big geographically.  They lost the team this year with the promise that they would come back next year. Maybe they have fixed it?   Not sure. Dont care.  I saw them play the Chicago Fire of the MLS here once.  The Rhinos beat them, when they were the champions of the league they were in.    I look forward to watching the World Cup, will be interesting it being in Russia.   I am not convinced the usual favorites are as good as advertised.  Like Argentina, way overated.  Germany may be also.  I expect some surprises.

Belgium could well be one of them Rick. They have some excellent players who are well know in our Premier league. A punt on them could do you well. As for England - no chance. We won't even make it out of the group stages. I will, in good time, let you have my picks.

On 5/20/2018 at 5:43 PM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

World Cup is coming!!!!  The only soccer most of us Americans really care about.

Yawn.

Actually, there's a sizable segment that couldn't give a hoot about the corrupt and politicized World Cup and favour watching the EPL.

By the way, how many of Real Madrid's and Liverpool's fan base will make it to Kiev for the Champions League Final tomorrow? 

I had a bad feeling about the Final as soon as I woke up. In my dream chillumpuffer was cackling as he lit a pile of Gerry & the Pacemakers "You'll Never Walk Alone" 45rpms on fire.

Sure enough...Real Madrid - 3, Liverpool - 1.

1 hour ago, Strider said:

I had a bad feeling about the Final as soon as I woke up. In my dream chillumpuffer was cackling as he lit a pile of Gerry & the Pacemakers "You'll Never Walk Alone" 45rpms on fire.

Sure enough...Real Madrid - 3, Liverpool - 1.

............... oh what a beautiful morning, oh what a beautiful day. Viva Los Blancos !!!

On 5/25/2018 at 3:46 AM, chillumpuffer said:

Belgium could well be one of them Rick. They have some excellent players who are well know in our Premier league. A punt on them could do you well. As for England - no chance. We won't even make it out of the group stages. I will, in good time, let you have my picks.

Well I was hoping we had a small contest and see how many would make their picks?  But if no interest fine.  I am picking England.  I say they have a shot unlike you.

On 5/25/2018 at 1:56 PM, Strider said:

Yawn.

Actually, there's a sizable segment that couldn't give a hoot about the corrupt and politicized World Cup and favour watching the EPL.

By the way, how many of Real Madrid's and Liverpool's fan base will make it to Kiev for the Champions League Final tomorrow? 

Why do you have to be so damn negative Sean!  Geez.   Besides, the WC gives us a good excuse to drink beer 🍺 in the morning 

Edited by LedZeppfan1977