Led Zeppelin II

Nanny Moon

Hi, I am struggling in researching LZ II, as I have a green/orange vinyl which was made in Germany, with 588 198 ref. (on the left there are two other ref numbers, the top one is 0654319 S 2, the lower number is 0654600 S 2).  It has the MFG. By Atlantic...printed at the bottom of the orange half of the label.  It has the Lemon Song and produced by Jimmy Page.  The deadwax number written by hand, is ST-A-691672, and stamped numbering 0654319S2 and 06543371S1, although these are tricky to see clearly! The gatefold has a less vivid colouring, and bears the ref 588 198, and printed by E. J. Day & Co, London W1.  I have been unable to find this anywhere online, so far, so please could you give me some advise please!

When I used to own vinyl, a long time ago. I had a British import version of LZ II, being in the states, it was a big deal. The import versions had better quality, I do remember that, may be worth slightly more, not sure, a record collector would probably know.

When it comes to Zep II, the really valuable one, the holy grail, is the Robert Ludwig mastering, which is the original US mastering. The telltale signs of the most collectible/expensive version are "RL" and "SS" in the deadwax (Robert Ludwig, Sterling Sound), and a noticeably narrow deadwax on Side B.

In the 1970s and '80s, Japanese pressings were generally sought after because they were usually higher-quality pressings than the standard US ones - heavier vinyl, more likely to be virgin vinyl, and/or flatter pressings with no warps etc. In addition, for Zep, 1st UK pressings often are valued because they are from the home country and sometimes thought to be better masterings - for example the 1st UK pressings of Zep III and Physical Graffiti are very highly regarded and generally considered superior to the US pressings.

When it comes to Zep II, however, the Japan and UK pressings aren't especially valuable - the US Ludwig is the one.

One other tidbit: while the "RL SS" narrow deadwax version is the most valuable/collectible, Robert Ludwig has claimed in interviews that non-narrow-deadwax versions are just as good and based on the same mastering. There are also many early US Zep II pressings that have "LH" on one or both sides instead of "RL." Ludwig has said that Lee Hulko was his working partner and that anything with  "LH" in the deadwax also is the same mastering and just as good.

Finally. as reswati notes above, discogs.com is an excellent resource for researching specific pressings.

Archived