Earls Court mental block

I'm sure that one of the reasons why the band was subdued at Earl's Court was because they couldn't even play concerts in their home country without being penalized by the tax people. While I am sure the band's families were with them at the time, any major rock musician will tell you that even if you get to sleep in your own bed during a series of hometown shows, it just doesn't feel as if you are at "home." You still feel like you're on tour. I'm sure the band would have rather have used their "tax free" days in Britain to be at their homes 24/7, but there was also the need to play before "their" people. I love the country of Great Britain as an American, but I think their tax policies towards the rich during the 1970's were just awful. 98%? That's insane. It forced hundreds of very talented musicians to go into tax exile and be separated from their families for large periods of time. It's already hard enough being away from family while you are recording or touring. I really think that a lot of British rock artist's substance abuse issues during that period stemmed from them not being able to be around the people who loved them for who they were as people due to the insane tax laws. They never got to see their kids, their wives, their parents and their true friends. People can't live like that. But they had no choice with 98% taxation.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/9/2017 at 5:24 PM, chillumpuffer said:

It would be very helpful if any of our forum friends who were actually at one of the Earls Court shows, could do a review, assuming they can remember;)

I was there on the 24th, regardless of sound quality it was an amazing experience. My mate and I hitch hiked from Liverpool. Over three hours of Led Zeppelin playing whilst I was standing there watching beats the shit out of listening to and criticising sound quality of bootleg.s

11 hours ago, Plantpothead said:

I was there on the 24th, regardless of sound quality it was an amazing experience. My mate and I hitch hiked from Liverpool. Over three hours of Led Zeppelin playing whilst I was standing there watching beats the shit out of listening to and criticising sound quality of bootleg.s

Welcome back Joe. How's life treating you?

1 hour ago, Plantpothead said:

I'm fine thanks, receiver has just packed up (mind you I've had it since 1992, just ordered a new one. How are things with you?

Can't complain thanks man. Had enough of the winter as usual so looking forward to the Spring. I see you have a fellow Evertonian on the site?

Archived