The Beatles thread

Very cool Dzldoc! I saw the Beatles too, here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQugzbsHeGg

I still have my program with my ticket stub stapled inside. I was as high up in the nosebleed section as one could be. My husband thinks it's funny to tell people that I saw the Beatles in concert and then leave them wondering how old I am. I was 7, and the guest of a friend and her mother.

Hi MSG, actually I was only 5yo when they came to New Orleans :( My older sister went to see them though <_<B)

Beatles, eh? Oh yes, I seem to remember their off-key caterwauling on the old Sullivan Show.

How's it going "Cletus" and "Dzldoc?" One thing that always fascinated me about THE BEATLES' appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show is that 73 million viewers were glued to the one hour show on TV that night which made it, at that time, the most watched event in television history. Also, during that one hour show, NOT ONE CRIME WAS COMMITTED IN NEW YORK CITY. Were THE BEATLES popular or what? ROCK ON!

Just so everyone knows. My above post in this thread wasn't meant to be taken seriously. It's actually a quote from Mr. Burns, from the Simpsons.

Episode: A brush with greatness from season 2.

Edited by Cletus

How's it going "Cletus" and "Dzldoc?" One thing that always fascinated me about THE BEATLES' appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show is that 73 million viewers were glued to the one hour show on TV that night which made it, at that time, the most watched event in television history. Also, during that one hour show, NOT ONE CRIME WAS COMMITTED IN NEW YORK CITY. Were THE BEATLES popular or what? ROCK ON!

"All you need is Love....." :hippy:

Guess it's true...

On a scale of 1 to 10, the Beatles are a 12, Zeppelin is a 2 and every other band falls somewhere between 0 and 1. I'm not only talking about the music. They are just so incredible to watch. I saw a rehearsal on youtube of Two of Us that just plain awesome. No other performer will ever match the impact they had on popular culture and the world.

On a scale of 1 to 10, the Beatles are a 12, Zeppelin is a 2 and every other band falls somewhere between 0 and 1. I'm not only talking about the music. They are just so incredible to watch. I saw a rehearsal on youtube of Two of Us that just plain awesome. No other performer will ever match the impact they had on popular culture and the world.

zeppelin is a "2"?????

that said, here's some classic beatles performances:

live in washington 1964-shot by the maysles

check out ringo on the revolving stage in the clip above....no microphones on the drums!

beatles "money"

http://www.freep.com/article/20081123/FEAT.../811230307/1030

Book review: John Lennon is a brawling, selfish, spiteful misogynist in Philip Norman's new biography

BY GLENN GARVIN • MCCLATCHY NEWSPAPERS • November 23, 2008

Everybody from Bill Clinton to Fidel Castro loves to remember John Lennon as the dippy Utopian of "Imagine."

Less remembered is the Lennon of "Run For Your Life": "Well I'd rather see you dead little girl/Than to be with another man." In Philip Norman's merciless biography, Lennon No. 2 is on full display, and the picture isn't pretty.

Spiteful and selfish, miserly and misogynistic, Lennon abused his friends, cheated on his women and quarreled with almost everyone he knew. His politics were phony and his public persona a pose -- the working-class hero never labored a day in his life. (Personal motto: "Death before work.")

"John Lennon: The Life" started out as a semi-authorized biography. But when Yoko Ono got a look at an early version of the manuscript, she told Norman he had been "mean to John" and cut him off.

Unlike Albert Goldman's vicious "The Lives of John Lennon," this book is no calculated character assassination. Norman admires Lennon's writing and musicianship and even appears to have some personal affection for Lennon. But his reporting butts up against the ruthlessness and self-indulgence with which Lennon conducted his life.

Manipulative from childhood, he loved to play the role of a thuggish Teddy Boy, the primitive British gangbangers of the day, but let his burlier friends finish the fights he started.

No one was immune from his bullying. He smacked a girlfriend for talking to another man. He once mugged a drunken fan. And Norman even investigates -- inconclusively -- an accusation that the brain hemorrhage that killed original Beatles bass player Stuart Sutcliffe was caused by a beating Lennon administered.

Perhaps no one suffered more at Lennon's hands than Cynthia Powell, his first wife.

Lennon cheated on Powell with friends, fans, practically any female at hand. Yet when Lennon dumped her for the loony avant-garde artist Ono in 1968, the divorce suit accused Powell of adultery, even though Ono was pregnant with his child.

As the Beatles rose from a boozy bar band into the leading cultural export of Great Britain, Lennon maintained a carefully manicured image of puppy-dog rebellion, epitomized by his remark at a concert attended by various members of the royal family: "Will the people in the cheaper seats clap your hands? And the rest of you, if you'll just rattle your jewelry."

If Lennon had survived a mentally ill fan's bullet in 1980, he'd be 68 and perhaps past the age of artifice. Certainly, whether he liked it or not, he would recognize the portrait in these pages.

Reading this book as we speak. Thus far i would say that it reveals complexities in Lennon that would make a Psychiatrist very very happy.

• 1 month later...
Who remembers during the 80's the Beatles medleys that were being played EVERYWHERE. I think some of them even had a disco feel to them. Anyway, Harry did one somewhere around 1968 give or take a year or two...The Beatles loved Harry.

Harry Nilsson - You Can't Do That

I don't remember there being a lot of Beatles medleys but the Harry Nilsson one is kind of cool. I like the drum!