Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Xolo1974

Hampton 1971

"Trickier than a robbers dog" LOL."

I usually go with the Collectors Review site but AA has proved reliable on inquiries.

Passing on this one. Flagge is very hard to find but it is the definitive issue IMHO.

Godfather is a let down but if adjust your EQ you can enjoy it.

16 hours ago, f2walsh said:

AA is a standup guy in my opinion and is a Led Zeppelin live recording expert!
I would trust him 100%.

He needs to get a better writer or a proofreader for his site. It is littered with garbled syntax and inaccuracies.

Posted (edited)

so... any word on the content of Sonic Boom? The soundboard and the stereo/2 track mix have already been out there for a while, and considering there was no hype behind it it's probably not an upgrade, but who knows? I'd love a version of Hampton '71 that was on par with Orlando '71 and the Black Dog from 9/28/71, with clearer drums and hi hat etc.

My two cents... If it is a site dedicated to Zeppelin's live and bootleg recordings, chances are I like it. That site has more info on Sonic Boom than this site has.

Edited by Dirty Work

10 hours ago, Dirty Work said:

so... any word on the content of Sonic Boom? The soundboard and the stereo/2 track mix have already been out there for a while, and considering there was no hype behind it it's probably not an upgrade, but who knows? I'd love a version of Hampton '71 that was on par with Orlando '71 and the Black Dog from 9/28/71, with clearer drums and hi hat etc.

My two cents... If it is a site dedicated to Zeppelin's live and bootleg recordings, chances are I like it. That site has more info on Sonic Boom than this site has.

I'm curious to know this too. A certain seller was offering the Sonic Boom set for free with the purchase of another box set. I was tempted to get the Destroyer set just to get the Hampton 4CD but $ are tight right now and Cleveland  '77 doesn't do much for me. I'm fine with my downloads of Dr Who ( Winston) of 4/27 and the Jason Peterson version of 4/28. Hoping someone shares the new Hampton soon.  Huge upgrade!!! Hmm?? 

On 3/1/2017 at 2:20 PM, Strider said:

He needs to get a better writer or a proofreader for his site. It is littered with garbled syntax and inaccuracies.

LOL. I think he's in Europe so English is a second language. 

Sonic Boom set has been liberated on a trading site. Will download and listen asap. Report to follow. 

About Sonic Boom: The stereo mix has the odd separation, Mr. Jones on the left channel while the other members have to share the right channel- not very satisfying listening experience.....

And now on to the good news: The mono mix has a good balance & you can crank it up to 11. Compared to EVs Florida Sunshine it is slightly less clear in the top range, particularly the voice, cymbals & keyboard. The only drawback is that the voice is a little overloaded (not distorted), means whenever Robert turns up there is a  low sizzling noise, but not disturbing to my ears. All in all the mono mix is very enjoyable.

Brannon of Bootledz is extremely critical about the latest incarnation of the Hampton board tape on EV. 

Is Jonesy's bass still distorted?

The bass is still a bit distorted on the mono mix and Plant's vocals break up at times. This new release has boosted highs and sounds brighter though than any other I have heard. I have Flagge's Dead Battery and that sounds dull compared to this mono release. I have a master>open reel>dat version that sounds good but less clear , high freqs. This is clearer and may be the most enjoyable this show will get. The stereo mix is a joke. It's all bass on the left channel. Awful. 

Posted (edited)

Funny, that's is exactly what I said earlier in this thread ( but for some reason my post was deleted).   I posted a guess that one CD set would be the mono mix (bass guitar only in one channel and the other three in the other).   

It looks like this is exactly what is on these releases  

Edited by Sticks of Fire

Posted (edited)

I only have the (Zeppelin Digital) version of Hampton i think. Is it worth getting this new EVSD/Godfather or any other release too?

Edited by johnlennon696