New Mystery Soundboard?

RockDude4492

14 minutes ago, porgie66 said:

Torrent banned from dime, at the "manufacturers" request. I've never see that happen so quickly with a new Zep release before. Wow. 

It was banned for a short while, it has now been reseeded.

Why don't you buy a copy of this set altogether (spreading $$$ to few of you) instead of continuous gimme gimme attitude everytime the new stuff is out?

It's always great to see that something new is on the horizon and I do understand the whole enjoyment coming around but with this statement is quite clearly to learn that without any kind of donating, the label won't be able to release anything new in the future.

[ Sorry, mods if I said something that may affect the group's legacy, if so just please get my post rid off the forum then ;). ]

statement.jpg

7 hours ago, Bozoso73 said:

To those who bought it directly from EV. . What were the prices???

I think you have to walk into Blind Faith in Tokyo to get direct EV prices but if you are that local it's 35,000 yen (Regular), 56,000 (Promo) and 59,000 (deluxe).

Most re-sellers add approximately 10% foreigner tax and another 5% paypal fees.   Dollar wise $350/$500/$600 plus shipping and paypal fees.

21 hours ago, porgie66 said:

Torrent banned from dime, at the "manufacturers" request. I've never see that happen so quickly with a new Zep release before. Wow. 

That's too funny. I'm not a big fan of the mods at DIME but I hope they told the 'manufacturer' to go f*%k themselves.

I'd love to know the details behind how these tapes were made, who got them and how and what specifically goes on between the owners and the 'labels' for a release like this. The '75 boards all sound so much better than those from the tours immediately before and after. I'm curious about what equipment and tapes were used. The '75 shows sound as if they were recorded on reel to reel tape while the '73 boards sound as if they were recorded on cheap cassettes. I'm assuming they're all 2 track mixes but the '75 shows do have some extra ambience to them and sound as if there may be a crowd mic lightly mixed in. Not sure.

I was reading Stephen Davis' 'Led Zeppelin '75' book last night on my kindle to see which shows he though were the best as he covered the entire tour and attended every show. He loved the MSG 2/12 and St. Louis 2/16 shows, didn't like the Nassau or Dallas shows, thought the Seattle Vancouver shows were the best of the tour and gave mixed reviews on the LA Forum shows. Everything else was kind of so-so.

39 minutes ago, Frawls said:

I'd love to know the details behind how these tapes were made, who got them and how and what specifically goes on between the owners and the 'labels' for a release like this. The '75 boards all sound so much better than those from the tours immediately before and after. I'm curious about what equipment and tapes were used. The '75 shows sound as if they were recorded on reel to reel tape while the '73 boards sound as if they were recorded on cheap cassettes. I'm assuming they're all 2 track mixes but the '75 shows do have some extra ambience to them and sound as if there may be a crowd mic lightly mixed in. Not sure.

I was reading Stephen Davis' 'Led Zeppelin '75' book last night on my kindle to see which shows he though were the best as he covered the entire tour and attended every show. He loved the MSG 2/12 and St. Louis 2/16 shows, didn't like the Nassau or Dallas shows, thought the Seattle Vancouver shows were the best of the tour and gave mixed reviews on the LA Forum shows. Everything else was kind of so-so.

Including Austin? 

;) 

43 minutes ago, Frawls said:

Well, I could've told you that!!

haha

44 minutes ago, Frawls said:

Good questions! The problem with the 1973 tapes, from what I understand, is that they were copied, or transferred to digital, using a tape deck (presumably a cassette deck) with improper azimuth alignment. That is, the tape head was not exactly 90 degrees perpendicular to the tape (or else it was, but the deck that the recordings original was made on was not). This results in an inability to capture all the high frequencies when playing back the tape during copying or digitization. That's why the '73 tapes are so muffled, and why there's hardly any cymbals at all on a lot of them.

1977 is more of a mystery - I have no idea why they don't sound better. As for the extra audience on the '75 tapes, I'm guessing that's just down to the type of equipment and/or the mic placement in '75 vs '73 and '77.

As for Davis' appraisal of parts of the '75 tour, I certainly agree with him about MSG 2-12 and the Seattle and Vancouver shows - as to most hardcore Zep fans. St. Louis, though, is IMHO decent but not great. And conversely, while the tapes themselves unfortunately are a bit harsh-sounding, I think the performances in Nassau/Uniondale 2-13 and 2-14 are fantastic, especially 2-13. Dallas I agree is so-so, especially the first night (3-4). And I enthusiastically agree with him about the 3-24, 25 and 27 LA Forum shows - I never loved them and think they're overrated.

2 hours ago, zepster1979 said:

No upgrade, both are taken from previous releases of 3/17 and 3/21.

I did ask that question before ordering given EV's regular (mis)use of the word "remastered"....got a non-committal answer along the lines of "I haven't heard it so can't comment".      I'm not surprised however.

26 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

The problem with the 1973 tapes, from what I understand, is that they were copied, or transferred to digital, using a tape deck (presumably a cassette deck) with improper azimuth alignment. That is, the tape head was not exactly 90 degrees perpendicular to the tape (or else it was, but the deck that the recordings original was made on was not). This results in an inability to capture all the high frequencies when playing back the tape during copying or digitization. That's why the '73 tapes are so muffled, and why there's hardly any cymbals at all on a lot of them.

That makes sense. They really are very muffled and thin. The one exception is the SBD fragment from Kezar Stadium which I think sounds much better than any of the others I've heard from '73. I think some of the '77 SBD sound fine even if they're not as good as the '75 boards. It's just JPJ's bass is so thin! 

It's interesting to me that the first '75 board to come out (AFAIK) was the 3/4 show which I actually heard on our local classic rock station back in 1990 or 1991 and subsequently got a tape of it. There was a pretty big gap between that show and the leak of the 2/12 SBD over 10 years later!

1 hour ago, tmtomh said:

Good questions! The problem with the 1973 tapes, from what I understand, is that they were copied, or transferred to digital, using a tape deck (presumably a cassette deck) with improper azimuth alignment. That is, the tape head was not exactly 90 degrees perpendicular to the tape (or else it was, but the deck that the recordings original was made on was not). This results in an inability to capture all the high frequencies when playing back the tape during copying or digitization. That's why the '73 tapes are so muffled, and why there's hardly any cymbals at all on a lot of them.

1977 is more of a mystery - I have no idea why they don't sound better. As for the extra audience on the '75 tapes, I'm guessing that's just down to the type of equipment and/or the mic placement in '75 vs '73 and '77.

As for Davis' appraisal of parts of the '75 tour, I certainly agree with him about MSG 2-12 and the Seattle and Vancouver shows - as to most hardcore Zep fans. St. Louis, though, is IMHO decent but not great. And conversely, while the tapes themselves unfortunately are a bit harsh-sounding, I think the performances in Nassau/Uniondale 2-13 and 2-14 are fantastic, especially 2-13. Dallas I agree is so-so, especially the first night (3-4). And I enthusiastically agree with him about the 3-24, 25 and 27 LA Forum shows - I never loved them and think they're overrated.

If there was a tell-all book describing/detailing these Zep SBD releases I'd be one of the first ones in line to buy it.  This shit absolutely fascinates the hell out of me.  God, what I wouldn't do to see a list of the shows they're sitting on...

Archived