How certain are we of the 1975 tour itinerary?

mrledhed

I really don't think so. Conspiracy Theory came out just as the internet communities really started getting serious about documenting the official live history of shows and tapes, so it really was one of those rare shows that slipped through the cracks. Kind of like how the Dallas shows were thought to take place on different dates, or that there was a second date in Pittsburgh. Online tour itineraries were still full of errors about a lot of shows. There are still rumors about extra/cancelled shows in the itineraries from most years. I think the past 5-10 years has seen a ton of cleanup in that regard, with fans having checked posters, advertisements, and gone to libraries or online newspaper archives to confirm/disprove individual concert dates.  Lots of cool websites up now too. Royal-orleans, ledzeppelin-reference, theyearofledzeppelin, the official site. It wasn't long after Conspiracy Theory came out that ticket stubs and newspaper articles were found.  The only other show that has been rumored was from Austin 1975, but that show was disproven by lack of ticket stubs, lack of newspaper articles, no posters, and even a testimonial from a fan who was at University of Austin at the time who confirms that no such concert could've happened in Texas without him knowing about it.  

19 minutes ago, Bozoso73 said:

Hi out there:) Did they have any shows that were cancelled in FLA during the 75 tour??

Yes. The West Palm Beach show on March 8 was cancelled.  Check the events section in the timeline on the official zep site. There is a copy of the letter regarding the cancelled show.

14 hours ago, mrledhed said:

Before "Conspiracy Theory" came out, not many people knew of the 3/14 San Diego show. Is it possible that they added other dates to the 1975 tour that we still don't know about? 

It's remotely possible there were specific dates/cities being considered or planned for Scandanavia in November 1975 (aside from Helsinki on Nov 5th) that we still don't know about but as far as shows they actually confirmed and performed my answer would be no. For one thing, they were a big enough act by '75 that every performance was covered in the press (either an ad, review or photos). Secondly, most if not all of their days off on tour is accounted for (public sightings offstage, etc). Finally, internet allows people from around the world to substantiate their recollections with ads, photos, etc. You can bet if someone had proof of attending a previously undocumented '75 show they would have come forward by now.   

Edited by SteveAJones

The mythical Austin show is interesting... I wonder where that one came from. I have it listed in an early 90s book by Dave Lewis, so the idea of an Austin gig has clearly been around for some time. Stephen Davis in LZ-75 waxes lyrical about it too, which gives pause for thought. I know nothing in that book is trustworthy, but it takes a particularly brazen type of charlatan to simply make something like that up, when it can apparently be so easily disproved. The fact that Davis even knew there might be a show in Austin is interesting, from a myth-chasing point of view. There's an old thread at RO that gives a satisfactory debunking to the Austin idea though.

The only other date in 75, aside from Florida, that wasn't played was the first St Louis one in January, moved to Feb 16th due to Plant's illness.

Edited by Crimson Avenger
clarity!

1 hour ago, Crimson Avenger said:

The mythical Austin show is interesting... I wonder where that one came from. I have it listed in an early 90s book by Dave Lewis, so the idea of an Austin gig has clearly been around for some time. Stephen Davis in LZ-75 waxes lyrical about it too, which gives pause for thought. I know nothing in that book is trustworthy, but it takes a particularly brazen type of charlatan to simply make something like that up, when it can apparently be so easily disproved. The fact that Davis even knew there might be a show in Austin is interesting, from a myth-chasing point of view. There's an old thread at RO that gives a satisfactory debunking to the Austin idea though.

The only other date in 75, aside from Florida, that wasn't played was the first St Louis one in January, moved to Feb 16th due to Plant's illness.

Initial rumors of Austin possibly came about after the cancellation of West Palm Beach. It left them with a relatively big break and they were already in Texas. Additionally, even pre-internet, it never took much for an error in one book or on one tape trading list to spread like herpes. Benton Harbor, TN was also oft rumored yet also ultimately debunked.

Edited by SteveAJones

4 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

Initial rumors of Austin possibly came about after the cancellation in West Palm Beach. It left them with a relatively big break and they were headed towards Texas next. Additionally, even pre-internet, it never took much for an error in one book or on one tape trading list to spread like herpes. Benton Harbor, TN was also oft rumored yet also ultimately debunked.

Cheers, that's the thread. Something would have turned up by now re Austin, woudn't it. You have to wonder what thought processes led Davis to write what he did in LZ-75.

Wasn't there some confusion early on about how many Chicago dates there were in 75 too? Or did I dream that, lol.

Also, what was the deal with the Helsinki gig in November? That can only have been planned as part of a wider European tour surely.

11 hours ago, Crimson Avenger said:

Cheers, that's the thread. Something would have turned up by now re Austin, woudn't it. You have to wonder what thought processes led Davis to write what he did in LZ-75.

Wasn't there some confusion early on about how many Chicago dates there were in 75 too? Or did I dream that, lol.

Also, what was the deal with the Helsinki gig in November? That can only have been planned as part of a wider European tour surely.

IMHO, Davis needed some sizzle to sell a second book based merely on his leftover notes. Note he never attended shows outside of NYC/East Coast. 

If you search the Helsinki date here, you'll find previous posts I've made about it. Essentially, Peter Grant was planning a return to Scandanavia for the band. Helsinki is the only date confirmed so far (via a magazine advertisement in a Finnish magazine), but it's quite likely other dates and locations were being planned. Peter Grant also said he and the band were considering a South American tour around this time. It seems that tour did not evolve beyond the "initial discussion" stage...no confirmations and it was a much more difficult place on the globe to tour at the time.    

8 hours ago, StringBender said:

Ok this isn't '75 but a "lost show" nonetheless. Ask here or is there another thread? Don't want the Forum police to bust me. 

I can take that question in the Zeppelin Mysteries Thread if you'd like.

Edited by SteveAJones

16 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Initial rumors of Austin possibly came about after the cancellation of West Palm Beach. It left them with a relatively big break and they were already in Texas. Additionally, even pre-internet, it never took much for an error in one book or on one tape trading list to spread like herpes. Benton Harbor, TN was also oft rumored yet also ultimately debunked.

Does Benton Harbor, TN even exist?

:threadjacked:

Alright so people are discussing lost shows and mystery gigs.  I don't know where to put this.
The search function doesn't come up with anything that answers my question and I don't
have extensive knowledge of their tours like S A J and some others do. 
:unsure: 

What is the reason Led Zeppelin never added the city of Miami to their US tours?

A huge metropolis and cosmopolitan city, with the venues to accomodate large sporting
events and musical concerts. They certainly had the demographic to support them as well,
sooo what gives?

Were they worried about drugs?   That's the only thing I can come up with and that's pretty weak
considering they played in California where the flow up illegal stuff ran freely from Mexico. 

Edited by KellyGirl

52 minutes ago, KellyGirl said:

Alright so people are discussing lost shows and mystery gigs.  I don't know where to put this.
The search function doesn't come up with anything that answers my question and I don't

What is the reason Led Zeppelin never added the city of Miami to their US tours?

A huge metropolis and cosmopolitan city, with the venues to accomodate large sporting
events and musical concerts. They certainly had the demographic to support them as well,
sooo what gives?

Were they worried about drugs?   That's the only thing I can come up with and that's pretty weak
considering they played in California where the flow up illegal stuff ran freely from Mexico. 

Probably logistics, south Florida is a bit off the beaten track, still a pretty sleepy area despite its population, and I'm guessing Miami in the '70's was not quite the bustling metropolis it is today.

1 hour ago, KellyGirl said:

sooo what gives?

Well, the cancelled West Palm Beach show that has been mentioned already in this thread would have essentially been Miami, and they did play there at least once in '69, but you're right, it is a bit curious.  Perhaps they thought that one Florida show per tour was sufficient (Orlando in '71, Tampa in '73 & '77, cancelled West Palm in '75).  Maybe that's why they chose such large venues for the Florida show '73-'77, so that they could satisfy the demand with just one show.  If that's the case though, they really underestimated some of those driving distances...nowhere in Florida is a hop-step-and-a-jump from anywhere else--even Tampa to Orlando is a good two hours.

I thought Florida was canceled due to some type of political pressure or possible fear of issues like the Boston chaos cancellations.

According to Wiki, this is the reason >  A concert at 8 March at the West Palm Beach Speedway in Florida was also canceled following the promoters' failure to make property improvements at the venue.

10 hours ago, SymphonyX said:

I thought Florida was canceled due to some type of political pressure or possible fear of issues like the Boston chaos cancellations.

According to Wiki, this is the reason >  A concert at 8 March at the West Palm Beach Speedway in Florida was also canceled following the promoters' failure to make property improvements at the venue.

Yes, that is why 3/8/75 West Palm was cancelled.

• Administrators

Official press release 2/28/75:
http://www.ledzeppelin.com/event/february-28-1975

-----------------

Swan Song Inc. Official Press Release - February 28, 1975

LED ZEPPELIN EXPRESSES DISAPPOINTMENT OVER CANCELLATION OF "FLORIDA ROCK" FESTIVAL

The members of Led Zeppelin, who returned today for the resumption of their 1975 American tour, expressed disappointment over the cancellation of the "Florida Rock" festival which the group had been scheduled to headline on March 8th.

"Florida Rock" was cancelled last week by David Rupp, owner of the West Palm Beach Speedway where the event was supposed to take place. Rupp gave as his reason for cancellation, the failure of the promoters, Connecticut Concerts Corporation, to begin the improvements on the property he considered necessary for a successful event. Primary among these was paving of parking space for the anticipated 60,000 cars the event was expected to have attracted.

Danny Goldberg, Vice-President of Swan Song, Led Zeppelin's "record company, commented following the cancellation: "The group and their manager Peter Grant are very disappointed that they will he unable to play Florida on this tour due to circumstances utterly beyond their control. I know that they have a very special feeling for Florida, due in part to the fact that the biggest concert they ever played was in Tampa, Florida at the Stadium there in 1973." (The Tampa Stadium concert on May 5, 1973 in fact stands as the record for the largest paid attendance ever to see a musical act perform: 56,800.)

Following the cancellation of the West Palm Beach festival, a variety of ideas for other dates for Zeppelin to play in Florida were reported in the Florida press. It was reported that the Mayor's office in Miami was attempting to make the Orange Bowl available for a proposed concert by Zeppelin which would benefit the Pediatric Center in Florida. No firm proposal however was ever received by Stevens H. Weiss, who is the Attorney and Administrator for Led Zeppelin and for Swan Song. On February 26th, Weiss sent the following telegram to Frank Cobo, Assistant to the Mayor of Miami, explaining that the time was now too late to logistically put together a Led Zeppelin concert in Florida. The text of his telegram was as follows:

Mr. Frank Cobo
Assistant to the Mayor of Miami City of Miami
City Hall
Denner Key
Miami, Florida 33133

Dear Mr. Cobo:

No definite proposal for Led Zeppelin to play Orange Bowl on March. 8 or any other date has been received either from Pediatric Center or any other party and therefore there is not even anything for me to submit to President of Swan Song and group manager for his consideration. Efforts of Miami Mayor to make Orange Bowl available for Led Zeppelin concert are much appreciated and the charity is undoubtedly a worthy one. However, since nothing concrete has been submitted for consideration of Swan Song President and group manager it is now no longer feasible from time point of view to put together a proper and artistic concert for March 8 even if a firm offer was now received. Further there is no other feasible open time period available on remainder of 1975 tour to play Orange Bowl so therefore any consideration of Led Zeppelin playing Orange Bowl this tour no longer feasible.

Hope that the Orange Bowl will be made available for next tour. Florida is a very special place for the Led Zeppelin and they like playing Florida very much. I believe they would be most interested in a charity concert at the Orange Bowl on their next tour.

Sincerely, Stevens H. Weiss
Attorney for Swan Song and Led Zeppelin

---

11 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

Official press release 2/28/75:
http://www.ledzeppelin.com/event/february-28-1975

-----------------

Swan Song Inc. Official Press Release - February 28, 1975

LED ZEPPELIN EXPRESSES DISAPPOINTMENT OVER CANCELLATION OF "FLORIDA ROCK" FESTIVAL

The members of Led Zeppelin, who returned today for the resumption of their 1975 American tour, expressed disappointment over the cancellation of the "Florida Rock" festival which the group had been scheduled to headline on March 8th.

"Florida Rock" was cancelled last week by David Rupp, owner of the West Palm Beach Speedway where the event was supposed to take place. Rupp gave as his reason for cancellation, the failure of the promoters, Connecticut Concerts Corporation, to begin the improvements on the property he considered necessary for a successful event. Primary among these was paving of parking space for the anticipated 60,000 cars the event was expected to have attracted.

Danny Goldberg, Vice-President of Swan Song, Led Zeppelin's "record company, commented following the cancellation: "The group and their manager Peter Grant are very disappointed that they will he unable to play Florida on this tour due to circumstances utterly beyond their control. I know that they have a very special feeling for Florida, due in part to the fact that the biggest concert they ever played was in Tampa, Florida at the Stadium there in 1973." (The Tampa Stadium concert on May 5, 1973 in fact stands as the record for the largest paid attendance ever to see a musical act perform: 56,800.)

Following the cancellation of the West Palm Beach festival, a variety of ideas for other dates for Zeppelin to play in Florida were reported in the Florida press. It was reported that the Mayor's office in Miami was attempting to make the Orange Bowl available for a proposed concert by Zeppelin which would benefit the Pediatric Center in Florida. No firm proposal however was ever received by Stevens H. Weiss, who is the Attorney and Administrator for Led Zeppelin and for Swan Song. On February 26th, Weiss sent the following telegram to Frank Cobo, Assistant to the Mayor of Miami, explaining that the time was now too late to logistically put together a Led Zeppelin concert in Florida. The text of his telegram was as follows:

Mr. Frank Cobo
Assistant to the Mayor of Miami City of Miami
City Hall
Denner Key
Miami, Florida 33133

Dear Mr. Cobo:

No definite proposal for Led Zeppelin to play Orange Bowl on March. 8 or any other date has been received either from Pediatric Center or any other party and therefore there is not even anything for me to submit to President of Swan Song and group manager for his consideration. Efforts of Miami Mayor to make Orange Bowl available for Led Zeppelin concert are much appreciated and the charity is undoubtedly a worthy one. However, since nothing concrete has been submitted for consideration of Swan Song President and group manager it is now no longer feasible from time point of view to put together a proper and artistic concert for March 8 even if a firm offer was now received. Further there is no other feasible open time period available on remainder of 1975 tour to play Orange Bowl so therefore any consideration of Led Zeppelin playing Orange Bowl this tour no longer feasible.

Hope that the Orange Bowl will be made available for next tour. Florida is a very special place for the Led Zeppelin and they like playing Florida very much. I believe they would be most interested in a charity concert at the Orange Bowl on their next tour.

Sincerely, Stevens H. Weiss
Attorney for Swan Song and Led Zeppelin

---

Is it just me, or does this letter from Weiss (a high-priced lawyer) sound rather amateurish, along with grammatical quirks (does he have an aversion to the word "the")?  Assuming the press release reprinted it verbatim, I guess.

On 2/28/2017 at 10:02 PM, KellyGirl said:

sooo what gives?

Led Zeppelin played at Thee Image in 1969, the Convention Center in 1970 and the Hollywood Sportatorium (close enough) in 1971.  I'm sure one of the key reasons why the band skipped Miami is due to a lack of decent arena facilities.  The Sportatorium was a tin shack with awful acoustics, so I'm sure they weren't too keen on going back there.  Aside from the Orange Bowl stadium, where would they have played in Miami?    Miami didn't have a halfway decent arena until 1988 when the NBA's Heat arrived.

Edited by mikezep61

• 11 months later...
On 2/28/2017 at 3:16 PM, SteveAJones said:

IMHO, Davis needed some sizzle to sell a second book based merely on his leftover notes. Note he never attended shows outside of NYC/East Coast. 

Wait, really? He talks about the West Coast shows from an eyewitness perspective (the LA and SD ones) and staying in the same hotel and Bonzo jamming to jazz records in the middle of the night and keeping him awake. Oh, and interviewing Robert (with photos). I thought it sounded a bit fan-boyish when I was reading it, but really? All completely made up?

A separate question: so, this itinerary seems to be wrong on so many levels, then:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Led_Zeppelin_North_American_Tour_1975

No 2nd Pittsburgh show, no New Orleans, no Knoxville, no Austin. Any other errors there? 

Edited by Boogie Chillen 82

7 hours ago, Boogie Chillen 82 said:

Wait, really? He talks about the West Coast shows from an eyewitness perspective (the LA and SD ones) and staying in the same hotel and Bonzo jamming to jazz records in the middle of the night and keeping him awake. Oh, and interviewing Robert (with photos). I thought it sounded a bit fan-boyish when I was reading it, but really? All completely made up?

A separate question: so, this itinerary seems to be wrong on so many levels, then:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Led_Zeppelin_North_American_Tour_1975

No 2nd Pittsburgh show, no New Orleans, no Knoxville, no Austin. Any other errors there? 

I just looked at that itinerary; if those supposed New Orleans & Knoxville shows happened, that would have been shows seven days in a row to start the second leg.  I highly doubt they would have scheduled that.  There aren't even too many instances of them playing four days in a row, are there?