How certain are we of the 1975 tour itinerary?

mrledhed

1 hour ago, Bonzo_fan said:

I just looked at that itinerary; if those supposed New Orleans & Knoxville shows happened, that would have been shows seven days in a row to start the second leg.  I highly doubt they would have scheduled that.  There aren't even too many instances of them playing four days in a row, are there?

There are a fair number of 4 days in a row.  I had looked at this before.  Here are the dates I see as more than 4 in a row.  But  you are right it is very unlikely they would have scheduled 7 days in a row in 1975.

Dec 26- 30, 1968     5 days

March 27 - April 2, 1969     7 days (if we count German TV in Bremen March 27)

May 27 -31, 1969      5 days

August 14 - 18, 1969      5 days

August 20 - 24, 1969      5 days 

Nov 4 - 8, 1969        5 days 

March 7 - 12, 1970       6 days

March 25 - 31, 1970      7 days

April 7 - 13, 1970      8 days.  This is the longest string of consecutive dates I can see.  In fact this looks like quite a stretch for them.  From March 23 - April 18, 1970 it looks like they had only 4 days off.  Granted that was 1970 and not 1975.  

August 19 - 23, 1970       5 days 

August 31 - Sept 4, 1970     5 days

June 6 - 11, 1972      6 days, if June 8 Boston was a show as listed in Luis Rey's book.  That gig is not listed on this site.

I count at least 13 other times with 4 days in a row, the last one being Japan 1972

^ Don't forget their original schedule for the 1971 US tour:

August 19th - Vancouver

August 20th - Seattle (unconfirmed)

August 21st - LA

August 22nd - LA

August 23rd - Fort Worth

August 24th - Dallas

August 25th - Houston (eventually postponed a day)

August 26th - San Antonio (eventually postponed a day)

That's 6 consecutive shows (8 if they did indeed play Seattle) scheduled right off the bat. Jesus! Poor Percy really didn't have any time to rest his voice did he? :(

57 minutes ago, John M said:

There are a fair number of 4 days in a row.  I had looked at this before.  Here are the dates I see as more than 4 in a row.  But  you are right it is very unlikely they would have scheduled 7 days in a row in 1975.

Dec 26- 30, 1968     5 days

March 27 - April 2, 1969     7 days (if we count German TV in Bremen March 27)

May 27 -31, 1969      5 days

August 14 - 18, 1969      5 days

August 20 - 24, 1969      5 days 

Nov 4 - 8, 1969        5 days 

March 7 - 12, 1970       6 days

March 25 - 31, 1970      7 days

April 7 - 13, 1970      8 days.  This is the longest string of consecutive dates I can see.  In fact this looks like quite a stretch for them.  From March 23 - April 18, 1970 it looks like they had only 4 days off.  Granted that was 1970 and not 1975.  

August 19 - 23, 1970       5 days 

August 31 - Sept 4, 1970     5 days

June 6 - 11, 1972      6 days, if June 8 Boston was a show as listed in Luis Rey's book.  That gig is not listed on this site.

I count at least 13 other times with 4 days in a row, the last one being Japan 1972

Oh wow, thanks for doing all that digging!  

Yikes about that stretch in March-April 1970!  Working eight days in a row is exhausting no matter how much you love your job.

Crazy that a performance as stellar as Blueberry Hill came at the end of five shows in a row...

I know the Stones played crammed schedules like that much later into their career, but they also played much shorter, less demanding sets.

Edited by Bonzo_fan

1 hour ago, The Only Way To Fly said:

How many dates did they do two shows in the same day/night? 

I know it was a pretty popular thing in back in the day. Doesn't hurt that it was a pretty good pay day for the band to do it this way - but also pretty exhausting. 

The Stones & Doors did it and I'm sure many others. 

A few times in 1969, I'm sure.  As far as I know though, 9/19/70 New York was the last time they did it.

Yeah, the Stones & Doors did it a lot.  Some of The Doors' set times for those back-to-back'ers were crazy--I think for their Felt Forum shows in NY in January 1970, the early show was 8 pm and the late one was 10 pm!  I'm pretty sure the set times for Zepp's 9/19/70 shows were 2 pm & 8 pm.  At least that way you have a chance to go back to the hotel and freshen up, have a nap if you like before the evening show (and then the second show doesn't start crazy late).  I hate having to start at 9:45 and later being on the bar circuit...

14 hours ago, Boogie Chillen 82 said:

Wait, really? He talks about the West Coast shows from an eyewitness perspective (the LA and SD ones) and staying in the same hotel and Bonzo jamming to jazz records in the middle of the night and keeping him awake. Oh, and interviewing Robert (with photos). I thought it sounded a bit fan-boyish when I was reading it, but really? All completely made up?

In short, I wouldn't trust anything in that book which can't be independently verified. We already covered Austin, to which he devotes nearly a whole page. There's no evidence that show ever happened. He even says Simon Kirke of Bad Company joined for the encore, which at best would appear to be confusing things with Munich 1980.

My other favourite example is the book's description of Fort Worth on 3rd March. We get told that Jimmy extends Whole Lotta Love out to 35 minutes in a magical improvisation. Wow. Rather conveniently, there was no boot of that show when Davis was writing. We've had a SBD since which proves Jimmy did no such thing; he played WLL same as he did every other night.

From memory of reading the book, I think his press accreditation ended before the West Coast shows, but he managed to use an old pass to get into one of them. He then bought a ticket for at least one other show. But a large number of shows on that tour, he simply wasn't at. You have to read the book quite closely to spot that. It's true he somehow got to interview Robert. My guess is they were curious to know who he was. Note that his press pass got cancelled soon after!

15 hours ago, Boogie Chillen 82 said:

No 2nd Pittsburgh show, no New Orleans, no Knoxville, no Austin. Any other errors there? 

That list seems to come from the Concert File, which is a bit old now, and based on who knows what. Best is to use the official timeline on here, that always seems to be accurate. I could see unknown shows turning up from 68/69, but not 75.

5 hours ago, Crimson Avenger said:

In short, I wouldn't trust anything in that book which can't be independently verified. We already covered Austin, to which he devotes nearly a whole page. There's no evidence that show ever happened. He even says Simon Kirke of Bad Company joined for the encore, which at best would appear to be confusing things with Munich 1980.

My other favourite example is the book's description of Fort Worth on 3rd March. We get told that Jimmy extends Whole Lotta Love out to 35 minutes in a magical improvisation. Wow. Rather conveniently, there was no boot of that show when Davis was writing. We've had a SBD since which proves Jimmy did no such thing; he played WLL same as he did every other night.

From memory of reading the book, I think his press accreditation ended before the West Coast shows, but he managed to use an old pass to get into one of them. He then bought a ticket for at least one other show. But a large number of shows on that tour, he simply wasn't at. You have to read the book quite closely to spot that. It's true he somehow got to interview Robert. My guess is they were curious to know who he was. Note that his press pass got cancelled soon after!

That list seems to come from the Concert File, which is a bit old now, and based on who knows what. Best is to use the official timeline on here, that always seems to be accurate. I could see unknown shows turning up from 68/69, but not 75.

Thanks so much! I did wonder about the magically extended WLL since it would so be unlike Zep to do anything like that post Europe '73. Bummer about Bonzo jamming to jazz records in a hotel, that one bit did sound really cool. lol

Edited by Boogie Chillen 82

• 2 years later...

That five day gap between March 5 and March 10 is a drag. Too bad the West Palm Beach gig was cancelled. Or that they couldn't schedule Denver and Phoenix (or Tucson) in the days between Dallas and San Diego.

With Baton Rouge and the Texas swing the band had really gelled and were building up a head of steam. I really think that long layoff after Texas made them a bit rusty and is why San Diego and the first Long Beach concert are a bit sluggish and ragged compared to the March 12 Long Beach show.

If they had been able to play some shows between March 6 and March 10, they could have kept their momentum.