2017 NFL Thread

Walter

On 10/10/2017 at 4:09 PM, zepscoda said:

0 -16 for my Giants this season!  Need to draft a QB and a new O line, and we need a new GM... and a new head coach...and a running back...ect, ect, ...

Dark days for Big Blue

So who is your dream QB pick?

23 hours ago, Strider said:

So who is your dream QB pick?

Don't know...i really don't follow college sports that much. On the field the first order of business is the O line. A QB may need to wait for 2019.  Obviously once the line is established,  the RB situation should work itself out. I still say trade Odell and get what you can to help that line.

I may start watching college football .. I love the NFL,  but don't need to have political view points , whatever the side, shoved in my face. Sports is a distraction in my mind not a rally of various social option. 

We are all being played anyway, and now the athletes we watch are becoming puppets,  sadly most of them aren't smart enough to know it.

Okay, my rant is over....my Giants still suck.. lol

2 hours ago, Bong-Man said:

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2017/10/08/protesters-ford-field-rally-nfl-taking-knee/744229001/

I've seen more people at Chuckie Cheese's protesting the quality of their pepperoni.  

People burned their NFL gear and moved on to other interests. Television ratings are already down nearly 20% and still falling.

1 hour ago, paul carruthers said:

How long have people been predicting the demise of the NFL--and when will it actually happen... 

The league won't die, but it's popularity will continue to be diminished. As for the product on the field, it's oftentimes horseshit.

45 minutes ago, zepscoda said:

Don't know...i really don't follow college sports that much. On the field the first order of business is the O line. A QB may need to wait for 2019.  Obviously once the line is established,  the RB situation should work itself out. I still say trade Odell and get what you can to help that line.

I may start watching college football .. I love the NFL,  but don't need to have political view points , whatever the side, shoved in my face. Sports is a distraction in my mind not a rally of various social option. 

We are all bring played anyway, and now the athletes we watch are becoming puppets,  sadly most of them aren't smart enough to know it.

Okay, my rant is over....my Giants still suck.. lol

Thank you!  I haven't watched a minute of an NFL game this year.  And if the college thugs start this nonsense, I'll stop watching them too!

14 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

^^^This is the NFL thread. Try to stay on topic.

The story I thought I was posting was an NFL-related story. Somehow in the process of copying and pasting, I hit the wrong link. 

This is the last I'll say on the subject. Personally, I think the players should stand for the anthem and find another avenue to voice their support for the victims of police brutality.

Because once Trump made it about himself (which he always does; whether it's hurricanes, healthcare, the NFL, or Nazis...the only thing that Trump cares about is how much people are paying attention to him) all hope of a rational dialogue about the real issues was lost.

Which means the original message the players were trying to send is not getting out...it's flying right over Trump's America's collective heads. And, as long as the players continue kneeling, all that will be discussed by the short-attention span media and the majority of Americans will be framed as a "Trump vs. the NFL standoff".

At this point, Colin Kaepernick and company are doing more harm to their cause than good. Rule of thumb: Wearing a Fidel Castro shirt is never a good idea.

This New York Times op-ed explains it well.

Trump's Empty Culture Wars

By Ross Douthat

The secret of culture war is that it is often a good and necessary thing. People don’t like culture wars when they’re on the losing side, and while they’re losing they often complain about how cultural concerns are distractions from the “real” issues, usually meaning something to do with the deficit or education or where to peg the Medicare growth rate or which terrorist haven the United States should be bombing next.

But in the sweep of American history, it’s the battles over cultural norms and so-called social issues — over race and religion, intoxicants and sex, speech and censorship, immigration and assimilation — that for better or worse have often made us who we are.

Still, even a proud culture warrior should be able to concede that not all culture wars are created equal. A good culture war is one that, beneath all the posturing and demagogy and noise, has clear policy implications, a core legal or moral question, a place where one side can win a necessary victory or where a new consensus can be hashed out. A bad culture war is one in which attitudinizing, tribalism and worst-case fearmongering float around unmoored from any specific legal question, in which mutual misunderstanding reigns and a thousand grievances are stirred up without a single issue being clarified or potentially resolved.

Unfortunately for us all Donald Trump is a master, a virtuoso, of the second kind of culture war — and a master, too, of taking social and cultural debates that could be important and necessary and making them stupider and emptier and all about himself.

He is not the only figure pushing American arguments in that direction — cable news, reality TV, campus protesters and late-night political “comedy” all have a similar effect these days. But he is the president, which lends him a unique deranging influence, and he is unique as well in that unlike most culture warriors — who are usually initially idealists, however corrupted they may ultimately become — he has never cared about anything higher or nobler than himself, and so he’s never happier than when the entire country seems to be having a culture war about, well, Donald Trump.

The N.F.L.-national anthem controversy, the latest Trump-stoked social conflagration, is a quintessential bad culture war. It was trending that way already before Trump, because the act of protest Colin Kaepernick chose to call attention to police shootings of unarmed black men — sitting and then kneeling for “The Star-Spangled Banner” — was clearer in the calculated offense it gave than in the specific cause it sought to further, clearer in its swipe at a Racist America than its prescription for redress. (That Kaepernick sported Fidel Castro T-shirts and socks depicting cops as pigs did not exactly help.)

But in his usual bullying and race-baiting way, Trump has made it much, much worse, by multiplying the reasons one might reasonably kneel — for solidarity with teammates, as a protest against the president’s behavior, as a gesture in favor of free speech, as an act of racial pride — and then encouraging his own partisans to interpret the kneeling as a broad affront to their own patriotism and politics. So now we’re “arguing” (I use the term loosely) about everything from the free-speech rights of pro athletes to whether the national anthem is right-wing political correctness to LeBron James’s punditry on the miseducation of Trump voters … and the specific issue that Kaepernick intended to raise, police misconduct, is buried seven layers of controversy deep.

You could say, it’s always thus with culture wars and racial battles, but in fact it isn’t and doesn’t need to be. Arguments about race were often toxic in the 1970s and 1980s, but there were core policy issues that could be argued and ultimately compromised over — crime and welfare and affirmative action — and across the 1990s they were, to some extent, and as they were overt racial tensions eased considerably. In 2001, two-thirds of Americans (and more blacks than whites) described race relations as somewhat good or very good, and while the white view was usually slightly rosier thereafter, the two-thirds pattern held for more than a decade — until Ferguson, Mo., and Black Lives Matter and the other controversies of the late Obama years, followed by the rise of Trump, sent racial optimism into a tailspin.

For hope to resurface, we need specific issues and potential compromises to re-emerge. In particular, we need a public argument clearly tethered to the two big policy questions raised by police misconduct and the broader crime and incarceration debate.

First, can we have the greater accountability for cops that activists reasonably demand, in which juries convict more trigger-happy officers and police departments establish a less adversarial relationship to the communities they police, without the surge of violence that’s accompanied the apparent retreat of the police in cities like Baltimore and Chicago?

Second, can we continue the move toward de-incarceration — supported, not that long ago, by Republicans as well as Democrats — without reversing the gains that have made many of our cities safe?

These are hard questions that can be answered only gradually, through trial-and-error and with various false starts. But they are questions that could have answers, that could point to a stable policy consensus around race and criminal justice, in a way that our present “Make America Great Again” versus “You’re All White Supremacists” culture war does not.

For those answers to matter, for them to depolarize our country, we need a social and cultural debate focused on the substance that Colin Kaepernick’s choice of protest unfortunately obscured, and Donald Trump’s flagsploitation has deliberately buried. Not an end to culture war, but a better culture war — in which victory and defeat can be defined, and peace becomes a possibility.

Copyright 2017 New York Times.

Zeke Elliott suspended.....again. 

Don't think it will be stopped this time. Still think it's bullshit but it's time to get on with it and get past it.  Bring on McFadden.  He looked great in preseason with the first string offense. Plus this has been a cloud hanging over the team.  Time to move on and possibly look to next season.

Btw, the ratings are not down 20% and dropping.  Ratings don't mean shit anyway. People are going to sports bars more often to watch all the games and also using their tablets, etc to watch on the internet.  Burning NFL gear, oh boy! More profits when they go back to get more.  

Strider, I tend to agree with you.  They should've addressed this last year as a workplace issue (protest on your own time and not on our dime) and not waited until big orange made it about himself and painted themselves into a corner.  

5 hours ago, Walter said:

Btw, the ratings are not down 20% and dropping.  

It is an incontestable fact that NFL single game ratings are consistently DOWN 20% or more this season. Bear in mind that's 20% down following 15%-20% DOWN from 2015-2016. This does matter now from a business standpoint and it will matter the most when the NFL's television deal comes up for renewal in 2020.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/nfl-tv-ratings-viewership-nbc-cbs-fox-espn-nfln-regular-season-playoffs/

On 10/11/2017 at 2:57 AM, SteveAJones said:

Just curious, but if you essentially force people to stand for the anthem, where does freedom come in? Where does the 1st amendment come in? When our soldiers go off to war what are they fighting for?

The shame is the very things America is all about, its very foundation in fact, is now considered unpatriotic. King George is presently laughing in his grave.

GO BEARS!

12 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

Thank you!  I haven't watched a minute of an NFL game this year.  And if the college thugs start this nonsense, I'll stop watching them too!

Oh come on, Stryder! Get back in the game. Which one of these teams do you see going to the Super Bowl?

NFL-teamsn-renamed-cartoon-ben-garrison.

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color." Kaepernick.

‘If We Are Disrespecting the Flag, Then We Won’t Play. Period.’ - Cowboys Owner Jerry Jones.

"The league, in my mind, should absolutely take the rules we’ve got on the books and make sure that we do not give the perception that we’re disrespecting the flag.”
There will be no exceptions to workplace policy he expressed Sunday evening - disrespect anthem & flag and players won't play.
Jones claims that in the NFL Game Operations Manual there is a portion that suggests how players should behave on the sideline when the anthem is played and that failure to do so can lead to fines, suspensions and even draft picks being docked.

Jones emphasized NFL game ops manual several times and then this:
"You know who reminded me about the game ops policy? Donald Trump"

36 minutes ago, IpMan said:

Just curious, but if you essentially force people to stand for the anthem, where does freedom come in? Where does the 1st amendment come in? When our soldiers go off to war what are they fighting for?

The shame is the very things America is all about, its very foundation in fact, is now considered unpatriotic. King George is presently laughing in his grave.

GO BEARS!

How's it going, IpMan? We all have a 1st amendment. I could tell my boss that I am going to our maternity ward and invite our patients to join me at the First Baptist Church of Satan.  :) I will demonstrate a ritual. Then I will start my job and then ask them which one wants to be the first to allow me to draw their blood. I hope you're doing well.

Good luck to Da Bears.

6 hours ago, apantherfrommd said:

Oh come on, Stryder! Get back in the game. Which one of these teams do you see going to the Super Bowl?

NFL-teamsn-renamed-cartoon-ben-garrison.

That is laugh out loud funny! My only interest in the Super Bowl at the moment is ensuring that it is the lowest rated of all time.

Archived