2017 NFL Thread

Walter

8 hours ago, apantherfrommd said:

Oh come on, Stryder! Get back in the game. Which one of these teams do you see going to the Super Bowl?

NFL-teamsn-renamed-cartoon-ben-garrison.

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color." Kaepernick.

‘If We Are Disrespecting the Flag, Then We Won’t Play. Period.’ - Cowboys Owner Jerry Jones.

"The league, in my mind, should absolutely take the rules we’ve got on the books and make sure that we do not give the perception that we’re disrespecting the flag.”
There will be no exceptions to workplace policy he expressed Sunday evening - disrespect anthem & flag and players won't play.
Jones claims that in the NFL Game Operations Manual there is a portion that suggests how players should behave on the sideline when the anthem is played and that failure to do so can lead to fines, suspensions and even draft picks being docked.

Jones emphasized NFL game ops manual several times and then this:
"You know who reminded me about the game ops policy? Donald Trump"

How's it going, IpMan? We all have a 1st amendment. I could tell my boss that I am going to our maternity ward and invite our patients to join me at the First Baptist Church of Satan.  :) I will demonstrate a ritual. Then I will start my job and then ask them which one wants to be the first to allow me to draw their blood. I hope you're doing well.

Good luck to Da Bears.

LMAO...AWESOME POST!  You da man!

11 hours ago, apantherfrommd said:

Oh come on, Stryder! Get back in the game. Which one of these teams do you see going to the Super Bowl?

NFL-teamsn-renamed-cartoon-ben-garrison.

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color." Kaepernick.

How's it going, IpMan? We all have a 1st amendment. I could tell my boss that I am going to our maternity ward and invite our patients to join me at the First Baptist Church of Satan.  :) I will demonstrate a ritual. Then I will start my job and then ask them which one wants to be the first to allow me to draw their blood. I hope you're doing well.

Good luck to Da Bears.

What's up my friend, hope all is well with you.

The only problem with that is it is a false equivalency.  The players are not asking the fans to kneel down, the players are not kneeling down in the middle of a play, they are kneeling down during a period of complete inactivity while they are not working. There is no participation from anyone but the players during a period of zero play. Further, the players never even participated in the anthem until very recently and also, the NFL never gave a single shit about the anthem until the US government stated paying the team owners post-9/11 to turn this into uber-patriotic / nationalistic time to boost the recruitment rolls.

The fact is the flag never stood for or represented minorities in this country and that was an established fact from the very beginning and holds true to this day. Case in point, some jackass kidnapped and likely murdered some teacher from Flagstaff recently. Before that he assaulted several women, waived a gun around at cops, then fought with them while being arrested cutting one officer in the process. Guess what, he was not shot, not even beat up. Guess what else, he is white. If that guy was black they would have shot him as soon as he came at them.

So with all of this inequality, blatant, in our face 24/7, how would you expect these people to react? How would you expect them to feel? And how do you think they should give voice to their concerns and issues? It seems whenever some black guy or Mexican, or woman protests, regardless of their avenue of protest it is always the same line, "That is not an acceptable way to protest...you are all scum!" However, none of these people can ever tell you the right way to protest. Strange huh.

First time I saw Philly last night, and I was pretty impressed with their defense.  Nice pass rush, and their cornerbacks matched up very well against Carolina's big receivers.  Except for Green Bay, both teams are better than anything in the Central at this point (I always think wild card for the Bumbles, because we won't beat Green Bay).

Nice picking Paul & Zepscoda !    

The only problem with that is it is a false equivalency.  The players are not asking the fans to kneel down, the players are not kneeling down in the middle of a play, they are kneeling down during a period of complete inactivity while they are not working. There is no participation from anyone but the players during a period of zero play. Further, the players never even participated in the anthem until very recently and also, the NFL never gave a single shit about the anthem until the US government stated paying the team owners post-9/11 to turn this into uber-patriotic / nationalistic time to boost the recruitment rolls.

Their reply is going to be that you're in uniform and on the field in public, which is part of the workplace.  But notice how the same folks have no problem with players kneeling in a circle praying in the same public venue.  Do they allow that at anyone else's public place of employment ?  One guy bringing his own rug and bowing towards Mecca at the 20 yard line before and after the game would blow that issue wide open.

They used to honor a service person or group in uniform once a game.  Now they do it three times a game, including interruptions in play.  I paid to see football.  I've already honored the color guard presenting the flag, and stood up and taken off my hat before the game. If I've already had a couple 16 oz'ers, I even sing along.  After that,  I'd rather see cancer survivors, little league football, highlights of other games I'm missing, dressed-up fans, former players, or even people in animal costumes dueling for me to get a possible large fry at Arby's.  They don't even play the anthem at concerts, so why all the other stuff just because two American cities are playing football ?               

8 hours ago, Bong-Man said:

They don't even play the anthem at concerts, so why all the other stuff just because two American cities are playing football ?               

It has to do with the role professional sports has traditionally played in society. 

12 hours ago, IpMan said:

What's up my friend, hope all is well with you. The only problem with that is it is a false equivalency.  The players are not asking the fans to kneel down, the players are not kneeling down in the middle of a play, they are kneeling down during a period of complete inactivity while they are not working. There is no participation from anyone but the players during a period of zero play.

Many thanks. It's going well. They haven't opened up the dispensary yet. The kind lady said the delay is because they don't have enough growers.

Being kind, I offered to volunteer my services free of charge. She said uhhh..No. :lol: 

Speaking of grass, the Packers hosted the Bears a few weeks ago at Lambeau Field. The Packers did ask the fans to participate, locking arms.
After the Packers' win over the rival Bears, Aaron Rodgers says the fans' response doesn't bother him.
"It was an invitation to join us. Beauty is, it's a free country so they can choose to do it or not," said Rodgers.

"As much as some people want us to just shut up and play football and keep the politics to the politics, sports and politics have always intersected," Rodgers said, "If we can help continue a conversation through a demonstration of unity, like tonight, I think that's a good thing," Rodgers said.

The fact is the flag never stood for or represented minorities in this country and that was an established fact from the very beginning and holds true to this day. Case in point, some jackass kidnapped and likely murdered some teacher from Flagstaff recently. Before that he assaulted several women, waived a gun around at cops, then fought with them while being arrested cutting one officer in the process. Guess what, he was not shot, not even beat up. Guess what else, he is white. If that guy was black they would have shot him as soon as he came at them.

So with all of this inequality, blatant, in our face 24/7, how would you expect these people to react? How would you expect them to feel? And how do you think they should give voice to their concerns and issues? It seems whenever some black guy or Mexican, or woman protests, regardless of their avenue of protest it is always the same line, "That is not an acceptable way to protest...you are all scum!" However, none of these people can ever tell you the right way to protest. Strange huh.

Further, the players never even participated in the anthem until very recently and also, the NFL never gave a single shit about the anthem until the US government stated paying the team owners post-9/11 to turn this into uber-patriotic / nationalistic time to boost the recruitment rolls.

That is interesting. I never heard about the govt paying the team owners post 9/11, but it wouldn't surprise me, either. I think it is a legal right to protest the flag. It represents the freedom for citizens of our country the right to do so. It doesn't mean I have to like it, nor does it mean that I cannot protest against their act of disrespect for it. To many who love football, the game pales in comparison to the love we have for our country represented by our stars and stripes.

Football, baseball, etc. Who could deny the aura surrounding the singing of the anthem in 1991 by Whitney Houston during the Gulf War?

Even earlier in 1988, admit it. You and I both would have stood with our hands over our hearts here during this rendition performed by Enrico Pallazzo.

As far as the alleged murderer, my guess is you are referring to Malzhan. I understand in one incident a report said he had a gun in the back seat and pulled it on his sister and children. I am not sure if he did that around cops, or if they only read that in a report. In a separate incident he had a baton or crowbar, and did cut an officer w/ it. They did have that option to shoot. They chose not to do so. Now it is only guess work that he were a person of color that he would have been shot. There are some cops that are gun shy on people of color, and some that are not. Interesting topic of discussion. It's a shame we can't elaborate on such topics like that anymore. The 1st amendment only goes so far here, right. :lol: 

By I digress and apologize to Walter, the original poster, for going off topic on his thread. Give me credit. I did go back on topic regarding grass and tying that back into football. ;) IpMan, I hope you and your good family have a kind weekend.

Now that we've heard from the Russian spambots, back to the action...

Derek Carr is back ahead of schedule but I don't know how effective he'll be. Amari Cooper needs to get his head out of his ass, too. The season lies in balance today for the Raiders. They need to win today, no excuses. If they don't, it's "wait 'til next year".

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000860786/article/derek-carr-back-to-start-for-raiders-vs-chargers

23 minutes ago, redrum said:

The 49ers just ain't got the killer instinct. Cellar dwellers again this year.

Where they can keep the Raiders company. Raiders playoff aspirations just vanished. This season is kaput.

I don't think Green Bay survives this collarbone injury like they did the previous one. The Eagles and Seahawks just got a terrific boost in their playoff prospects.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/Barnwellx171016/layers-aaron-rodgers-collarbone-injury-whether-green-bay-packers-hang-make-2017-nfl-playoffs-nfc-north

4 hours ago, Strider said:

I don't think Green Bay survives this collarbone injury like they did the previous one. The Eagles and Seahawks just got a terrific boost in their playoff prospects.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/Barnwellx171016/layers-aaron-rodgers-collarbone-injury-whether-green-bay-packers-hang-make-2017-nfl-playoffs-nfc-north

Just keep ignoring the Rams Sean.  Its absolutely foolish of you to not realize that they have arrived.   The Rams will be in the playoffs.  Get used to it.  The Raiders will not.  

16 minutes ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Just keep ignoring the Rams Sean.  Its absolutely foolish of you to not realize that they have arrived.   The Rams will be in the playoffs.  Get used to it.  The Raiders will not.  

I already said as much. My point was that with Green Bay losing Rodgers this helps Philadelphia's and Seattle's wild card chances.

I didn't watch the Green Bay game nor have I seen the replay of the hit, so I can't say if I thought it was legal or not. Anybody think it was a late hit?

https://deadspin.com/the-aaron-rodgers-hit-was-legal-and-thats-the-problem-1819506191

1 hour ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Never thought I'd say it, but GO RAMS!!

2 hours ago, Walter said:

Zeke will be back in action again this week.  What a roller coaster ride...

You know...in this whole fiasco, I never thought the courts would be so persistent in doing the right thing (but I'm grateful that they keep doing it). I simply don't know how you can be suspended for something that was investigated fully by law enforcement with the result of no charges being filed due to lack of evidence. Domestic violence is a very serious issue, and I'm very happy that the league is taking such an assertive stand against it (vis a vis, Ray Rice); however, to punish someone for a case that the law investigated and dropped is just surreal.

If he was officially charged with a crime, suspend him all year. If he were found guilty of such a charge, suspend him for much longer - perhaps permanently. But, for crying out loud, doesn't "innocent until proven guilty" mean anything?

Archived