2017 NFL Thread

Walter

5 hours ago, Badgeholder Still said:

The Rams wish they had a first round bye. They have 6 days to prepare for a team who didn't take the week off and just bested another dangerous team. While I suspect the Rams are still the better team, the value of momentum shouldn't be underestimated. Choosing to give that up out of fear, not stay the course and risk losing focus is not in general a winning formula.

Yes indeed.

7 hours ago, Strider said:

Brenda Walsh chokes again. You get what you deserve Seattle for letting a good kicker get away and then signing the kicker who choked against you in a playoff game. 

They're going to kick him through the goal post so he can see how it's supposed to work. :lol:

1 hour ago, Walter said:

Didn’t the Rams lose badly to the 49’ers? Just checking....

Even though it was a 'giveaway' game, the 49ers end the season on a 5 game winning streak. That's the same record they had in 1980 when Montana took over. The next year they won Super Bowl 16.

Caldwell fired.  After attending yesterday's game, I was convinced the Lions wouldn't pull the trigger.  Full house, no booing, and a decent effort in a meaningless game.  Finishing 9-7 and 5-1 in the division could have justified him staying....glad they made the right decision.  Caldwell is a good & honorable man who had the players respect, but his game management was down-right scary.  We also had only 10 men on the field yet again, but someone was smart enough to call a time-out for a change.  That's 5 times in 16 games....unacceptable at the pro level.

Congrats to Rick and The Bills !  You've waited far too long.  Having traveled there many times, I know how passionate those Bills fans are about their team.

Poor Cleveland....having been through that with the Lions, I wouldn't wish that upon any team at any level.  I was on a 1-8 H.S. team my Senior year, and that one win at Homecoming made all the difference for us through the years.  There's nowhere to go but up ! 

5 hours ago, Bong-Man said:

Caldwell fired.  After attending yesterday's game, I was convinced the Lions wouldn't pull the trigger.  Full house, no booing, and a decent effort in a meaningless game.  Finishing 9-7 and 5-1 in the division could have justified him staying....glad they made the right decision.  Caldwell is a good & honorable man who had the players respect, but his game management was down-right scary.  We also had only 10 men on the field yet again, but someone was smart enough to call a time-out for a change.  That's 5 times in 16 games....unacceptable at the pro level.

Congrats to Rick and The Bills !  You've waited far too long.  Having traveled there many times, I know how passionate those Bills fans are about their team.

Poor Cleveland....having been through that with the Lions, I wouldn't wish that upon any team at any level.  I was on a 1-8 H.S. team my Senior year, and that one win at Homecoming made all the difference for us through the years.  There's nowhere to go but up ! 

Thanks and congrats for getting the coach fired.   I do believe its best for the Lions.  Just heard Del Rio is fired.  Strider is happy.  Heads are rolling.  I count 3 so far but likely more.  I am just learning.  Have NFL channel on as ESPN is all  about college today.  The Raiders are tossing Gruden's name around.   They just showed a clip from the snow game in New England when the Raiders got screwed like so many other teams do playing New England.  The "no fumble" that killed the Raiders.  Just as bad as the immaculate reception but at least Franco Harris caught it.  X Rays on McCoy negative.  So now its wait and see if he is a go in Jacksonville.   I want that game big time.  Fucking Mahone.  The bastard that goes 9-7 here and then walks with no explanation.  Prick.  I think it was about money.  But there was no guarantee he would get a shot at a head coach elsewhere.  He rolled the dice and won.  For now.  Next week I hope not.

One guy is reporting Gruden is going to coach the Raiders.  He thinks is a done deal

Gruden already making plans.  Wants the Jets offensive coordinator.  Vegas move might be two years.  Year after next?  So Gruden is likely the next Raider coach.  

Marcel Dareus was shocked to hear the Bills are their opponent.  He trash talked about Tennessee saying he is glad its not them because they are trash.  I guess there is bad blood between those teams.  But there is bad blood between Buffalo fans and Mr Mahone the prick.   I hope we go down there and stomp the shit out of them.  McCoy is likely to play.

5 hours ago, Bong-Man said:

Darkest before the dawn.

On 1/1/2018 at 10:01 AM, Bong-Man said:

I just hope Cleveland does not take Baker Mayfield but that means its a certainty since I do not want that to happen.  But there are 5 QB's on the board siad t be NFL ready by Mel Kiper.  Well, I am expecting the Bills to trade their two number ones to lets say San Francisco to move up and get one.  We shall see.  We got into the playoffs by the way on a tie breaker not used since 2010 by Green Bay to squeak out the Giants.  Green Bay went on to win the Super Bowl.  The capper on CBS says if McCoy is 100% he picks Buffalo to win.  If not he picks them to cover regardless.  Jacksonville coming off two straight loss's and the last one with their starters vs a less than impressive Titans team that some are picking to blown out at KC.  I am not one of them.  I do not fear the Chiefs very much but the thought of New England drawing them first is kind of enticing since they did crush the Pats on opening night.  If the Bills beat Jacksonville it seems like a trip to Pittsburgh is likely.  Well, if that were to happen, I would go after their secondary that sucks.  I would put McCoy in the slot and throw all day.  But as for Jacksonville, I would run run run and run some more.  That includes Tyrod running.  I am hoping Bortles throws often against our secondary that Mahone is not familiar with.  Poyer and Hyde and White and Wright and Gaines are all known by Tom Brady now.  Bortles is no Brady.  Jim Kelly's last game ever was vs Jacksonville in that playoff upset in Buffalo in the "drive for 5".  The Bills trying to get to 5 Super Bowls in a row fell short, Brunell was the QB as I remember that game well.  Time to reverse things and for us to pull the upset.  If  you want to call it that..  Why are they favored?  I mean seriously?  Because they won a game or two more?  Well they did not have to play New England twice so throw that into your thinking.  They play in that crap division.  Not impressed.

Some dumb ass Chargers fan tried to put down the Bills because they put up that 50 on us. . That was the Peterson experiment.  A mistake by McDermott that almost cost us.  But did his Chargers play New England twice?  No.  They played in that shit division.  We won in Atlanta, beat Tampa and had Carolina on the ropes.  The season is a success and now we play with house money.  I do not think it ends in Jacksonville.  This could be the two best secondaries in football along with Seattle.  Both teams are weak vs the run but Shady is far better than any back they have.  And Tyrod can run circles around Bordles.  The line is so out of whack for this game.  The Bills had to play the Patriots twice. They did beat Pittsburgh and credit to their secondary for that one. I am not sure who we would play if we win?  I think if KC wins we might have to play NE?  And if Tennessee wins Pittsburgh? But first we must worry about Doug Marone and his Jags.  He says he congratulates the Bills on making it.  I say Bullshit.  He walked on us and gave no reason.  I want him for dinner

BOTH OF MY FAVORITE TEAMS ARE IN BABY!!!!!!  BILLS AND RAMS!!!!!!!  GO BILLS!!!!!  GO RAMS!!!!!!  GO ANDY DALTON!!!!!

Some late Christmas gifts I just received..........................................................................by all Seahawk fans! Now I feel bad for ragging on them so much. :( The hat fits perfect :) and I'm not sure of the reaction I will get when I go see my friends for coffee, who are all Seahawk fans, along with just about everyone else who comes in. 

49ER GIFTS.jpg

3 hours ago, redrum said:

Some late Christmas gifts I just received..........................................................................by all Seahawk fans! Now I feel bad for ragging on them so much. :( The hat fits perfect :) and I'm not sure of the reaction I will get when I go see my friends for coffee, who are all Seahawk fans, along with just about everyone else who comes in. 

49ER GIFTS.jpg

Well it looks like you have much to look forward to next year?  Were they that good or did they catch teams at the right time?  You found the QB, the Brady apprentice if you will.  But that will be perhaps the toughest division in the NFL with the Rams going no where and the Seahawks likely to bounce back with the right moves.  They do have a QB after all.  Arizona will have a new coach.  And they have some talent.  I am expecting the Bills to be loaded as well.   With all of these draft picks for a change.  Trading Watkins and Woods took guts.  The Rams got instant dividends with them.   And that is my second favorite team so all the well.  So we get Jordan Mattews back and then we see who the QB of the future is because I am sure even if it takes both of their first round picks and a second round, of which we own 3, we are going to get one of those 5 studs.  Tyrod?  Not sure.  If he can win this game Sunday it could really make a statement for him to stay.

On 1/1/2018 at 12:24 AM, Walter said:

Del Rio fired. Rumor that Jon Gruden is coming back should add some juice to the Raiders fire.

Glass half-full. Glass half-empty.

Sure, getting rid of Jack Del Rio was a priority. He's a retread just like Jeff Fisher...and I say that as a USC guy loved them as players. The Raiders with Del Rio would endlessly be 9-7 or 8-8. Last year's 12-4 was an illusion pulled off by having a last-place schedule and teams not taking the Raiders seriously until about midseason.

But our talent regressed this year. The Three Cs...Carr, Cooper, and Crabtree were dogshit as teams were prepared for them this year. Nobody on the coaching staff seems to have any imagination. The Raiders' schemes, their play-calling is right out of the Chuck Knox box of mothballs.

That shit doesn't cut it in today's NFL. The teams that consistently win have a dynamism, an imagination to their play and approach to football. New England, Pittsburgh, New Orleans, Seattle...and this year's Rams and Vikings.

Belichick might be a bore/boor personality-wise, but his football schemes are always creative and always directed towards the opponent at hand. What he does one week isn't necessarily what he will do the next week. He may run it 40 times one week and throw it 50 times the next.

Del Rio and Fisher are not those kind of guys. The League has passed them by. Especially Fisher. There is no excuse for ANY team to hire Jeff Fisher now. Not after his Rams debacle, where he had both Case Keenum and Jared Goff and not only couldn't find a way to make it work, but he actively sought to smear and sabotage their abilities. Both Goff and Keenum took their teams to the playoffs this year.

Any team hiring Jeff Fisher should face a fan revolt. God help Detroit or Cleveland if they do.

Now that Del Rio is gone does that mean I want Gruden? I mean, the guy has been away from football for years now. Yeah, he calls MNF and still watches film and has his coaches corner show or whatever. But it's not the same as actually being on the sideline in charge of a team.

Frankly, I have been disturbed by a lot of remarks he has made during games...times when he would question a decision by Belichick or Pete Caroll or Harbaugh or Sean Payton. Yes, some of these decisions were brazen and against the 'norm' and not all of them worked. But that's what I want in my new Raider coach...someone who can think outside-the-box. Gruden sounds like he's become one of those guys parroting the NFL conventional-wisdom.

What the fuck is Cleveland waiting for? How does 1-31 NOT get you canned immediately?

At least Detroit ended their suffering. Yeah sure, Caldwell was a nice bloke and all that. Hire him as your TV man or community relations then. The evidence was plain for all to see that he was a shitty coach.

The Lions are in a division ruled by Green Bay but where the Bears and Vikings have been shitty for years. So if you had told Lions fans before the season that Green Bay would lose Aaron Rogers for most of the season and miss the playoffs, I am sure most Lions fans would assume that Detroit would have won the division. The fact that Detroit couldn't even make the playoffs in a year when Green Bay was down is a capital failure. Nice guy or not, Caldwell's head had to roll...and race played no part in it.

No Green Bay. No Seattle. No Dallas. No Baltimore. No Giants. Lotta faces we are used to seeing in the playoffs are not there this year. Of course, there's still New England and Pittsburgh...but some teams are always going to be there no matter what.

I like having some new blood, though. Having the Rams and Jax and Bills and Eagles in should stir things up. If you were to ask me which teams I could see going all the way to the Super Bowl, there are two in the AFC (New England and Pittsburgh) and three in the NFC (New Orleans, Minnesota, and Rams). I can't see Atlanta surviving on the road all the way through the playoffs and anyone who has seen Philadelphia play since Wentz went down (ZERO points scored against Dallas! 😮) knows their #1 seed is a mirage.

The first weekend is always the closest...each game could go either way. Nothing would shock me...not even Buffalo beating Jacksonville.

Maybe the storm hitting the east coast will dump some snow in Jacksonville and make Buffalo feel at home? Buffalo can, and should, pound the ball down Jacksonville's throat. Don't get too cute having Tyrod throwing the ball. Manage the game and field position and wait for Blake Bortles to start Bortling, as he always does. Buffalo should be able to get a few turnovers...turn those into points and Buffalo has a great chance to win.

The other AFC game this week features young QB Mariotta for Tennessee against veteran QB Alex Smith for Kansas City. KC coach Andy Reid is one of those guys, like Marty Schottenheimer and Wayne Fontes, who I never trusted in the playoffs. They are great at getting teams to the playoffs but once there, they succumb to brain farts.

Kansas City has home field edge...it is a tough place to win if you are the road team. The Chiefs will eventually stumble as Alex Smith reverts to form and Andy Reid makes another boneheaded call. But against the young inexperienced Titans, they should eke by.

The NFC games look more interesting by far. Atlanta was in last year's Super Bowl. The Rams were one of the most entertaining and surprising turnaround teams of the season.

Can veteran Matty Ice school the young Jared Goff in his first playoff game? The Rams are at home, which should help the young Rams in their first playoff game. But there will still be some playoff nerves. Rams receivers Watkins and Woods had some memorable moments at the Coliseum in their USC careers. They hope to add some Rams memories now. Gurley, though, is the key to everything. If he gets going the Rams roll.

Atlanta are playoff vets but they have looked out of sorts all year with their new playcaller Steve Sarkisian. Sarkisian is no stranger to the L.A. Coliseum, thanks to his days at USC, but his job is on the line in this game. If he can't get the offense going the way it was last year, Atlanta will probably can him.

Another plus for the Rams...Atlanta doesn't play as well outdoors on grass as they do inside artificial domes.

FYI: The last time the Rams played a playoff game at the L.A. Coliseum was January 7, 1979. It was the NFC Conference Championship Game and Dallas beat them 28-0.

Carolina @ New Orleans is another toss-up. Sure the Saints are at home and their defense and running game were much improved this year. Late injuries may mitigate those improvements, however. Also, this is a divisional rivalry game...the Saints have already beaten the Panthers twice this season. Beating a team a third time is always tough in the NFL. 

Carolina is one of those teams that will look like shit and then all of a sudden rise up and play like beasts when you least expect it. The Saints are one of those teams that Carolina gets up for...but really, it is impossible to root for Carolina because Cam is such an ass. Plus, with the entire Jerry Richardson debacle as a possible distraction. This game could be a blowout...or it could go into overtime. Either way, I think Drew Brees has one more push in him and he'll get the Saints over the hump.

14 hours ago, Strider said:

No Green Bay. No Seattle. No Dallas. No Baltimore. No Giants. Lotta faces we are used to seeing in the playoffs are not there this year. Of course, there's still New England and Pittsburgh...but some teams are always going to be there no matter what.

I like having some new blood, though. Having the Rams and Jax and Bills and Eagles in should stir things up. If you were to ask me which teams I could see going all the way to the Super Bowl, there are two in the AFC (New England and Pittsburgh) and three in the NFC (New Orleans, Minnesota, and Rams). I can't see Atlanta surviving on the road all the way through the playoffs and anyone who has seen Philadelphia play since Wentz went down (ZERO points scored against Dallas! 😮) knows their #1 seed is a mirage.

The first weekend is always the closest...each game could go either way. Nothing would shock me...not even Buffalo beating Jacksonville.

Maybe the storm hitting the east coast will dump some snow in Jacksonville and make Buffalo feel at home? Buffalo can, and should, pound the ball down Jacksonville's throat. Don't get too cute having Tyrod throwing the ball. Manage the game and field position and wait for Blake Bortles to start Bortling, as he always does. Buffalo should be able to get a few turnovers...turn those into points and Buffalo has a great chance to win.

The other AFC game this week features young QB Mariotta for Tennessee against veteran QB Alex Smith for Kansas City. KC coach Andy Reid is one of those guys, like Marty Schottenheimer and Wayne Fontes, who I never trusted in the playoffs. They are great at getting teams to the playoffs but once there, they succumb to brain farts.

Kansas City has home field edge...it is a tough place to win if you are the road team. The Chiefs will eventually stumble as Alex Smith reverts to form and Andy Reid makes another boneheaded call. But against the young inexperienced Titans, they should eke by.

The NFC games look more interesting by far. Atlanta was in last year's Super Bowl. The Rams were one of the most entertaining and surprising turnaround teams of the season.

Can veteran Matty Ice school the young Jared Goff in his first playoff game? The Rams are at home, which should help the young Rams in their first playoff game. But there will still be some playoff nerves. Rams receivers Watkins and Woods had some memorable moments at the Coliseum in their USC careers. They hope to add some Rams memories now. Gurley, though, is the key to everything. If he gets going the Rams roll.

Atlanta are playoff vets but they have looked out of sorts all year with their new playcaller Steve Sarkisian. Sarkisian is no stranger to the L.A. Coliseum, thanks to his days at USC, but his job is on the line in this game. If he can't get the offense going the way it was last year, Atlanta will probably can him.

Another plus for the Rams...Atlanta doesn't play as well outdoors on grass as they do inside artificial domes.

FYI: The last time the Rams played a playoff game at the L.A. Coliseum was January 7, 1979. It was the NFC Conference Championship Game and Dallas beat them 28-0.

Carolina @ New Orleans is another toss-up. Sure the Saints are at home and their defense and running game were much improved this year. Late injuries may mitigate those improvements, however. Also, this is a divisional rivalry game...the Saints have already beaten the Panthers twice this season. Beating a team a third time is always tough in the NFL. 

Carolina is one of those teams that will look like shit and then all of a sudden rise up and play like beasts when you least expect it. The Saints are one of those teams that Carolina gets up for...but really, it is impossible to root for Carolina because Cam is such an ass. Plus, with the entire Jerry Richardson debacle as a possible distraction. This game could be a blowout...or it could go into overtime. Either way, I think Drew Brees has one more push in him and he'll get the Saints over the hump.

I remember that game.  Hollywood Henderson burned the Rams in that one, a pic 6 that he put through the goal posts like a basketball player.  The other nightmare game back in those days was vs Minnesota in a rainstorm.  Fran Tarkenton and company won that one in a big upset.  Pat Haden was the Rams QB.  Injured often he was replaced by Vince Ferragamo in that Super Bowl that the Steelers sucked out.  I do not see past history of uspets including the one in Minnesota vs Foreman the RB and Tarkenton haunting these new Rams.  I love the Bills chances in this game and think the point spread is ridiculous.  They have one more win and they do not have to play New England twice.  Speaking of which, an article that is all over the news is about he in house fighting between Brady, Belecheck and Krafts.  There is rumor Belecheck might be interested in coaching the Giants even?   As for Atlanta they have not found the magic yet this year.  Finding it at the LA Coliseum is not likely in my book but I agree with you anyone could win any of these 4 games.  On Sirius XM the guys covering the New Orleans game all picked the Saints.  It is tough to beat a team 3 times in a year, but I guess they beat them pretty good in those games.  I am inclined to take a shot with Carolina's defense keeping the game within reach.  The ex Cowboys runner cannot play so that may hurt Tennessee.  I still am taking the points in that one as KC never put any fear in my heart.  The Bills went in there and beat them a few weeks ago.  With the loss of Wentz, the Eagles are in trouble and to me if the Rams play Minnesota that will be the game that decides who goes to the Super Bowl.  I will admit it will be very tough to beat the Vikings in Minnesota.  They might just win the whole thing.  0-4 just like my Bills in the Super Bowl.  The Rams brought me some joy in 99.  Enjoy the game.  Go Bills.    Go Rams.

4 hours ago, redrum said:

Oh, those Lambs.

Loved it. Rams underwhelm in the playoffs? Why it was just like the good old days when they would run over the NFC West and promptly lay an egg versus Minnesota or Dallas in the playoffs.

Saw during the telecast that the Lambs are still two years away from their new stadium being ready. 2020 is when it is scheduled to open. Which means San Diego is also stuck in their tiny pit in Carson for another two years.

10 years, $100 million for Gruden.

8 hours ago, Strider said:

Loved it. Rams underwhelm in the playoffs? Why it was just like the good old days when they would run over the NFC West and promptly lay an egg versus Minnesota or Dallas in the playoffs.

Saw during the telecast that the Lambs are still two years away from their new stadium being ready. 2020 is when it is scheduled to open. Which means San Diego is also stuck in their tiny pit in Carson for another two years.

10 years, $100 million for Gruden.

Love it?  I love the year they had.  They will be back and often.  Gurley and Goeff and Donald and Wood and Watkins and co are young and will be back.   I did not see them winning in Minnesota so they lost a game I thought they would win.  Atlanta will have their hands full in Minnesota.  Unless New Orleans can pull it off.  I  do not think so.   GO BILLS.  

PS  Gruden is not worth that kind of money.   Belecheck maybe.  But nobody is worth that kind of money to coach a sport.  Its just crazy and its going to drive up the price of other contracts with coach's.  Hard to believe for a team that is leaving Oakland for Vegas.  

Almost show time for my Bills.   McCoy looks good out there and it sounds like he took a shot to the ankle.  The needle, injection kind.  I would.  Plus a couple perks and oxycontin.  I hate New Orleans so yes I picked Carolina with my heart.  Doubt it happens but I do like them to cover.  And I do give them more of a chance than the overwhelming media support.  The Bills are getting more support than Carolina.

3 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Love it?  I love the year they had.  They will be back and often.  Gurley and Goeff and Donald and Wood and Watkins and co are young and will be back.   I did not see them winning in Minnesota so they lost a game I thought they would win.  Atlanta will have their hands full in Minnesota.  Unless New Orleans can pull it off.  I  do not think so.   GO BILLS.  

PS  Gruden is not worth that kind of money.   Belecheck maybe.  But nobody is worth that kind of money to coach a sport.  Its just crazy and its going to drive up the price of other contracts with coach's.  Hard to believe for a team that is leaving Oakland for Vegas.  

Almost show time for my Bills.   McCoy looks good out there and it sounds like he took a shot to the ankle.  The needle, injection kind.  I would.  Plus a couple perks and oxycontin.  I hate New Orleans so yes I picked Carolina with my heart.  Doubt it happens but I do like them to cover.  And I do give them more of a chance than the overwhelming media support.  The Bills are getting more support than Carolina.

Yes I loved it because I bet the Titans, Falcons and Bills this weekend.

Come on Buffalo...SCORE DAMMIT!

Archived