2017 NFL Thread

Walter

17 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Touchdown Vikings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hurrah:

No game will ever be called perfect.. You put everything pro NE under a microscope.. I watched the whole game and it was fair as far I was concerned .. and don't say it's because I'm a Patriots fan either.. That helmet to helmet hit on Gronk was vicious. He said it wasn't intentional and apologized... move on..

Another thing .. you and your "refs took us out of our game.. they knocked the wind out of our sails" .. Come on, they're pros.. New England are in The Superbowl again without having Edleman all year... not having Gronkowski most of yesterday.. They win because they don't get rattled.. They win against bigger, more physical teams because they don't let the wind get knocked out their sails.. They play for 60 MINUTES... They stay focused.. They don't worry about hot dogging when they're up.. they just keep on coming.. It's a game of inches.. They're all great athletes in the NFL .. The mental toughness, not talking trash, not running out of gas, smart play making, coaching and staying focused are the differences..   

The Super Bowl opened at New England -6 then dropped to -5.5 as Philly bettors swooped in immediately. Did you get your bet in Rick, when it was still at 6 points?

I like the Patriots to win but they have never won a Super Bowl by more than 6 points.

On 1/22/2018 at 5:24 PM, Strider said:

The Super Bowl opened at New England -6 then dropped to -5.5 as Philly bettors swooped in immediately. Did you get your bet in Rick, when it was still at 6 points?

I like the Patriots to win but they have never won a Super Bowl by more than 6 points.

4 1/2 now. 

On 1/22/2018 at 12:46 PM, the chase said:

No game will ever be called perfect.. You put everything pro NE under a microscope.. I watched the whole game and it was fair as far I was concerned .. and don't say it's because I'm a Patriots fan either.. That helmet to helmet hit on Gronk was vicious. He said it wasn't intentional and apologized... move on..

Another thing .. you and your "refs took us out of our game.. they knocked the wind out of our sails" .. Come on, they're pros.. New England are in The Superbowl again without having Edleman all year... not having Gronkowski most of yesterday.. They win because they don't get rattled.. They win against bigger, more physical teams because they don't let the wind get knocked out their sails.. They play for 60 MINUTES... They stay focused.. They don't worry about hot dogging when they're up.. they just keep on coming.. It's a game of inches.. They're all great athletes in the NFL .. The mental toughness, not talking trash, not running out of gas, smart play making, coaching and staying focused are the differences..   

Lomabardi's Packers I respect.  Knolls Steelers I respect.  Walsh's 49ers I respect.  Even Levy's Bills.  But not the Patriots.  But I do respect Belecheck to a degree. He is a brilliant coach.  But how much cheating he has  done it makes you wonder.  He has been caught.  They did suck out 4 Super bowls they should have lost IMO>  They lost won they should have won.  The refs screwed the Steelers and gave NE home field advantage and you cannot deny that.  NO way.  It was a TD.  And the call that did in Jacksonville was not pass interference.  If Foles does not choke then I expect the Eagles to beat them.

I also cannot wait to see  all of these bandwagon NE fans, and there are tons of them, come falling off the bandwagon when they come crashing down in the next couple of years.  And in this area when Cleveland starts to win again, Browns jerseys will once again be all over the place.

On 1/25/2018 at 2:50 AM, Strider said:

That's a lot of Philly money coming in to move the points that much in a few days.

Unless Vegas thinks Gronk won't be able to play?

Its 4 on 5 dimes right now.  NE stole the fucking playbook from NE the last time they met in the Super Bowl.  This time I do not think it will matter.  I think Philly is physically tougher than they are.

2 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Its 4 on 5 dimes right now.  NE stole the fucking playbook from NE the last time they met in the Super Bowl.  This time I do not think it will matter.  I think Philly is physically tougher than they are.

The New England money is waiting/hoping for the line to hit -3.

22 hours ago, Strider said:

The New England money is waiting/hoping for the line to hit -3.

I am getting the money line on Philly while its juicy.  As for Walter's most hated list, pretty sad Super Bowl when the two teams you hate the most are meeting.  I am surprised NE is not on your list as your Raiders got screwed up there in that snow game with the Tuck rule that started all this nonsense.?  The Super Bowl I was the least interested in EVER was when Montana's 49ers played Denver and everyone knew what the outcome would be.  It was well before my gambling days unfortunately or I would have bet the farm on them.  I think it was 55-17 or something like that?  Other than the Bills Super Bowls the ones that pissed me off the most were for one the Jets miracle upset of the Colts.  SF proved offense can win championships.  Baltimore and Trent Dilfer just the opposite.  I still think that 85 Bears D was better. 

On 2/2/2018 at 9:41 AM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I am surprised NE is not on your list as your Raiders got screwed up there in that snow game with the Tuck rule that started all this nonsense.?  

Since you keep bringing it up, I will explain my change of feelings regarding the Patriots to you.

By rule, I'm usually fairly composed watching sports. Sure, I cheer or curse depending on the situation. But I'm not a pacer and I don't throw things at the screen.

There have only been several occasions where I wanted to kick the tv...the "Immaculate Reception" playoff game in 1972, the Angels collapse against the Red Sox in the 1986 AL Championships, Lakers vs. Boston in 1984 Finals, and the "Tuck rule" game in 2001.

Oh yeah, I was bitter and angry after that game...for a long time. Years and years. I probably posted harsh words to Patriot fans Anjin-san and the chase and others regarding that game. Cursed the Patriots. Cursed that stupid ref. Cursed that stupid snow.

But by the Patriots undefeated season, my attitude had changed. The Patriots had kept winning while the Raiders were in the dumps. But it would be a fool who would blame the Raiders misfortune on a referee's call.

Let's say the refs don't overturn the fumble call in that AFC Championship Game. The Raiders go to the Super Bowl and face the Rams. Maybe they win, maybe they lose.

So the Raiders gain a Super Bowl win while New England is stuck at zero. Maybe Gruden then doesn't leave the Raiders for Tampa Bay. Or perhaps given the friction between Al Davis and Gruden, he does leave.

The season after the Patriots beat the Rams, they missed the playoffs in 2002. This is the year the Raiders went to the Super Bowl and lost to Tampa Bay.

Now, it is entirely possible the Raiders, whether Gruden was still coach or Bill Callahan, would have not become complacent after their Super Bowl in 2001 and come back inspired in 2002, just like in real life.

What is not certain is whether they would have beaten Tampa Bay or whichever team they faced. If Gruden stayed with the Raiders would Tampa Bay even made it to the Super Bowl?

What we do know for certain is that with Rich Gannon, Tim Brown, and Jerry Rice as the key components, the Raiders were an old team and their window was small. As evidenced by how quickly things went south after they lost the Super Bowl to Tampa Bay.

So, whether the Raiders had won one or even two Super Bowls in 2001 and 2002, the team was on the downward slide as players retired and aged. They would have probably sucked as the decade went on, just as they did in real life not making the playoffs in 16 years.

Meanwhile, with Belechick and Brady at the helm, there is nothing to suggest the rest of the 2000s would have progressed any differently than they did in real life. After missing the playoffs in 2002, the Patriots stormed back in 2003 and 2004, winning back to back Super Bowls while the Raiders were nowhere in the playoff picture.

It was around this time I realized how good Brady and Belechick were and my respect for the Patriots grew. It became full-blown admiration when the Patriots had their perfect 16-0 season in 2007.

The Raiders continued to flounder while the Patriots kept winning. The Tuck-Rule had nothing to do with the Patriots sustained run of excellence. It got them the opportunity for that one Super Bowl win in 2001. But everything from 2003 onward has been their own brilliance.

If you take away the Tuck Rule, the Patriots still have four Super Bowl wins, while you may add one or possibly even two to Oakland's Super Bowl total.

Brady has averaged a Super Bowl appearance nearly every other year in his career. In 18 years, he has taken the Patriots to 8 Super Bowls, winning 5 of 7, with the 8th to be played today. He has been in 12 Conference Championship Games, with a record of 8-4 in those games. In the Super Bowl era those are unparalleled numbers. Neither Joe Montana, Terry Bradshaw, John Elway, Peyton Manning, Troy Aikman, Brett Favre, Aaron Rodgers, come close to those figures.

You have to go back to the 1960s, with quarterbacks Otto Graham of the Browns and Bart Starr of the Packers, to find similar numbers.

Watching New England all these years, my most immediate reaction is 'Why can't the Raiders play like this? Why can't our coaches be this smart and prepared?'

Every other team in the NFL act like idiots half the time, mismanaging the clock and down-situations, calling stupid plays, not making the proper adjustments, being predictable.

But not the Patriots. And considering the high turnover rate of their personnel aside from Brady and Belechick over the years, being able to be that consistently great and clutch is remarkable and admirable.

I enjoy watching excellence on the athletic field. If my Raiders cannot provide me with that, then hell yes I will watch and cheer for the New England Patriots. They approach and play the game the way it should be but rarely is these days.

I will never hate them the way I do Denver, Kansas City, and San Diego.

My placing them at the number 2 most hated team isn’t about Brady/Belechick - it’s mostly about their fans. The chase and others around here aren’t the “in your face” type of fans that I usually encounter. Truth be told it started with Red Sox and Celtics fans and transferred to the Pats after they finally began winning, with me. So really it’s more of a Boston teams in general hatred. With that said - Go Pats!  Hope the Eagles remain holders of the same number of SB titles as I have won - 0!

That's going to be an interesting quarterback depth-chart next season when Wentz comes back.

That is how you beat the Patriots. No punts on fourth-and-one, no field goals at the five-yard line...go for the jugular every time and score touchdowns.

Another great Super Bowl. Fun game to watch with both teams going up and down the field. I don't remember seeing a punt all night...that has to be a record. 

The commercials and halftime show were mostly lame, as usual. But the game made everything else superfluous and inconsequential.

Well, except for the White Stripes reunion. 😜

IMG_38991.thumb.jpg.7b17af1f846a445d673642f4a1eba179.jpgIMG_39001.thumb.jpg.c75a378901395e1f4423634794bd64d4.jpg

I'm going to congratulate my local team and defend their fans in the process.

Well done, Eagles! Philadelphia will always love you in general, and this team in particular, forever.

Now, as Walter knows (and maybe a few others), I am a life-long, very devoted Cowboys fan. It wasn't the easiest thing being one in suburban Philadelphia back when I chose my favorite NFL team back in the mid-70s (although 3 of my best friends growing up were hardcore Cowboys fans and they obviously had an influence on me). But, the poor Eagles fans stuck with their team every time they fell short - and they fell short a lot.

This is why some Philly sports fans are not always the most cuddly of fans - that is, there have been LOTS of very good Philadelphia-based sports teams, very, very many of which didn't win it all or even get to the last stage to have a chance to win it all, even when they were favored to do so. Over many decades, this leaves a mark. Keep in mind that many cities don't have teams in all four major North American sports - Philly does and has done since the late 60s. Before the Phillies won the World Series in 2008, the last title in Philly was the 1982-83 Sixers - a 25 year gap. There were a LOT of very good Philly-based sports teams who lost in their respective final or didn't even get to that stage during that time. As I said already, after a while, it scars the generic Philly sports fan.

So, enough of Bounty Bowl complaints, enough of "they booed Santa Claus", etc., etc. - they won this year because they had a really good team and they outplayed another really good team in the Super Bowl. Let them be happy - they have certainly paid their dues.

Think of how many times they had to watch their divisional rivals the Giants, Redskins, and Cowboys win the Super Bowl - those three teams collectively won at least 12 times and made an appearance in the game in many, many more.

Well, enough justification.

Be happy, Eagles fans - congratulations! :)

2 hours ago, Walter said:

My mind is blown away at the fact Malcom Butler didn’t play one snap last night and yet played the most snaps on the defensive  side of any other NE player. 

Still waiting to hear why Malcom Butler was benched.

Matt Patricia, defensive genius? How's that hire feel now Detroit?

Archived