I hate Zeppelin tribute bands

CBR_1000RR

...I'd much rather hear a tribute band play great music than an original band play their own crap songs.  There are a lot of great musicians - and a lot of great bands out there, but that doesn't mean  they can write songs.  If I'm paying to see a band I prefer hearing good songs - even if they aren't played as well as the originals.

• 2 months later...

I just joined up. Im Lori. As highly as you all love Zep, try opening your minds a little. Bands like Rush and Dream Theater and countless others. Im a head banger from birth, was raised being forced to listen to classical and opera. I love Depeche Mode, B-52 amongst others. Oh and BTW. Im a Wiccan from birth. Its in my DNA.I was born in 1963, saw Zeps second to last show at Oakland Coliseum. Bill Grahams A Day on the GREEN. July 23, 1977. This was my first concert.

5 hours ago, Lori Pushckor said:

I just joined up. Im Lori. As highly as you all love Zep, try opening your minds a little. Bands like Rush and Dream Theater and countless others. Im a head banger from birth, was raised being forced to listen to classical and opera. I love Depeche Mode, B-52 amongst others. Oh and BTW. Im a Wiccan from birth. Its in my DNA.I was born in 1963, saw Zeps second to last show at Oakland Coliseum. Bill Grahams A Day on the GREEN. July 23, 1977. This was my first concert.

Well that's cool. Welcome to the board. :)

7 hours ago, Lori Pushckor said:

:huh:

Some of the members here are the biggest Rush fans you'll ever find. Weird post.

The question is moot point for me because I don't really care to attend live concerts of ANY band, including all my favourites.  

To be completely honest, if Led Zeppelin were performing a three hour concert this summer in the nearest major city and you gave me 2 free tickets, I might just prefer to auction those tickets off for charity and watch the concert on TV at home (if that were possible).  I just hate huge crowds and terribly loud noise that I cannot easily get away from when I wish to.  Stuck in a big crowd surrounded by deafening sound - no thanks!

On 3/15/2017 at 1:26 AM, SteveAJones said:

I challenge anyone to come away from a Jimmy Sakurai (Mr. Jimmy) gig and not be completely blown away the tribute performance he delivers.   

could not agree more. 

My favorite is Led Zepagain. They have grown into a tight family of wonderful people. Picking up Derek Smith on drums is huge. It works, it fits and its a very good time.

All four people are just great people as are the members of their families and crew. The love what they do.  They have earned the success they are enjoying- and the success to come. Safe travels on the world tour.

• 2 months later...
On 15/03/2017 at 6:26 AM, SteveAJones said:

Of course the problem with that summation is one can go to see the Sistine Chapel, but one cannot go to see Led Zeppelin. Look, I'm not nor have I ever been that excited by or interested in Led Zeppelin tribute bands, but even so I can see they are serving supply to demand and appreciate the best among them. I challenge anyone to come away from a Jimmy Sakurai (Mr. Jimmy) gig and not be completely blown away the tribute performance he delivers.   

He might be the most accurate tribute in the world. The movement and sound creates the same energy Pagey did. Sakurai's 77 style ALS are absolutely mind blowing he nails the movement on clone like levels.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2017 at 0:22 PM, Dallas Knebs said:

could not agree more. 

My favorite is Led Zepagain. They have grown into a tight family of wonderful people. Picking up Derek Smith on drums is huge. It works, it fits and its a very good time.

All four people are just great people as are the members of their families and crew. The love what they do.  They have earned the success they are enjoying- and the success to come. Safe travels on the world tour.

I would pay money to see this guy live.

• 1 month later...

There are some bands that do them justice. . I am a drummer and the last band I was in had an opener called Zeppapottapus and they had a different take on the music that was great. . There was a local PHX band called The Song Remains The Same for a while but I think they split (had a great take on a TSRTS T shirt I wanted that was really cool). . Saw Led Zeppelin 2 and they were pretty good. . Just saw ZOSO and we thought they were not that great and left a little early. . Mr Jimmy is killer and want to see him. . ALL THIS EQUATES TO NOTHING. . NO ONE IS BETTER THAN THE ORIGINAL (but we all know that already):):)

On 6/6/2017 at 1:22 PM, Dallas Knebs said:

could not agree more. 

Wow, that Led ZepAgain doing ALS was incredible!! It's hard to see; is that Mr. Jimmy on guitar? The drums are spot on also!

3 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

Still my favorite Zeppelin tribute band....in this recent video, they re-united with their original singer:

I like Zepparella but they can be hit or miss. The original singer is good; glad they got her back

And PS - if Mr. Jimmy is good enough for Jimmy Page, he's good enough for me. I would definitely catch one of his shows! 

I saw Jason Bonham's LZE last year and thought it was great. I also appreciated that his band didn't try to look like Zep. That always bugs me. 

Well an orchestra playing Mozart's symphony really well is a tribute band.

And quite a few musicians can do it technically, it's more about little details and sound and the songwriting itself is the biggest problem. But that doesn't matter for a tribute band, the improvisational styles are really a problem. And they are songwriting in a way. Mozart sometimes left parts unwritten in his notes and improvised them live and there are heated debates about it amongst musicians how to improvise it right, but it's your choice, if you are not a tribute band, you can do it Robert Plant style.

But the thing is, you got it all recorded these days by the original artist and many would probably prefer old composers original performances, if they could listen to recordings, unless it's an orchestra.

I'm also not that interested in a concert as a social event, so I'm really not into Zep tribute bands at all, not interested, but I think that if they do play it, they should also play other bands and not dress like Zeppelin, just like orchestras and bands that play covers and they should also get as close as possible in every detail, either with the studio versions or really good live versions and perhaps they shouldn't even try to impress with improvisations.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

What are your thoughts about an evening tribute to Led Zeppelin by 21 artists at Carnegie Hall that is planned for next week on the evening of March 7, 2018 with all net proceeds to benefit the music education of underprivileged children?  See the link to the concert promotion below:

https://musicof.org/

• 3 weeks later...

Going to see tribute band Coda in Wardour Street on Oct 18. 50 years to the day since Zeppelins first performance in London. Looking forward to going with two of my sons - who weren’t even born when Zeppelin last performed. Would be great to dress up. Anyone got any ideas where I can get a “Jimmy Page jumper” - the one with his symbol on it..?

• 3 months later...

Cool! We will see you there!

Our guitarist's jumper was made by a friend of the band, I don't think it was too difficult to replicate.

By the way, I love tribute bands, but especially Led Zeppelin tribute bands. I have been in 4 Led Zep tribute band, but only 2 that actually got to the gigging stage. I currently play in CODA - a Tribute to Led Zeppelin and we are indeed playing at O'Neill's in Wardour Street on 18th October 2018 to commemorate Led Zeppelin's debut London show, just down the road at the Marquee club 50 years ago to the day.

We are also playing at the VERY FIRST VENUE Led Zeppelin ever played in Copenhagen, 50 years to the day! We are very excited about this show, I can tell you! We are also playing in Newcastle on October 4th and I'm sure I don't need to explain the significance of that date.

As to the WHY, well I just love playing the music of Led Zeppelin, as do the rest of the band. We are all huge Zep fans and have such a love of the band that we like to express that by aiming to represent their music on stage as accurately as possible. And if you sound a lot like Led Zeppelin and play Led Zeppelin's songs, why not go the whole hog and try to look like them too? As it happened, we all resembled our counterparts in Led Zeppelin to a certain extent, so it was fairly easy to look like them, no dodgy wigs or potbellies here! Our costumes were made in-house by our singer and my girlfriend, with a little help from a few others, and our guitarist built all the guitars he plays, apart from the Danelectro which was cheaper to buy than build. He even built his own speaker cabs and his Les Paul guitar is made from as many original parts, and authentic replica parts made from the same materials they would have used to build the original '59 Gibsons.

Check us out at www.codaledzeppelintributeband.co.uk

14976849_1013131242129605_540525695526298777_o.thumb.jpg.63f6d46da8c904b66f04558e3e33c486.jpg

Archived