LED ZEPPELIN'S 50th ANNIVERSARY PLANS?

Strider

On 2/22/2018 at 11:04 AM, blindwillie127 said:

The fact that Southampton is a multitrack makes it a candidate. What we've heard is a rough mix only. I've been listening to it recently with the mind set that given the proper attention, it could sonically sound amazing! I've never really enjoyed this show but I have no doubt that it could be drastically improved and deserves to be as well. 

I completely understand the desire for an official Euro 73' show however with both HTWWW & TSRTS representing this period quite well, the time for a Euro 73' would not be a good idea. Page needs to focus on the 75' - 80' era as that is the period which is sorely unrepresented. As far as I am concerned, if a live release is anything but a 75' - 80' I will be extremely disappointed with the following exceptions:

Anything from 68'

Anything from Jan  - April 69' which contains As Long as I have You, Lemon Song / Killing Floor, & the Yardbirds tunes included

Bath 70'

Japan 71' or 72' (for the excellent show quality and highly unusual and unique setlist

Just my $0.2 worth

Since they're now cutting Mary Lou from the upcoming reissue of HTWWW, I'd say chances are pretty slim that anything from Japan '71 will be released. For one, the setlist is too similar. For two, they're eliminating covers as it is right now, suggesting that for whatever reason Jimmy deems them problematic, and those WLL medleys have covers too.

For that reason I don't see Bath either, let alone Europe '73. At least not yet.

It actually makes sense that they go to '75-'79 for this one, especially in light of Jimmy's remarks about "something different". And since Earl's Court is already out there, Unless they have secret multi tracks of LA '77, my guess right now would be Knebworth. Similar to HTWWW, they can actually make a heck of a 3-disc by picking the best performances from both nights. Of course, LA '77 would be a pipe dream, because they'd be picking from 6 nights... but that presumes the multi tracks of all 6 nights exist.

So, I am now rethinking my theory a little bit. This month they reissue early Zep for a new generation of listeners. That's HTWWW. There are many listeners out there who have never heard the old one, and this will be the only version that will be downloadable (think iTunes, etc). So this one will become canon.

Then in the fall they release a late Zep show, to balance HTWWW, either LA '77 or most likely a Knebworth compilation.

Then, if Jimmy wasn't kidding about the next 10 years, they will maybe release important individual shows culminating with a definitive edition (and remastering) of EC in 2025. There is simply no other interpretation for the "next 10 years" tease. Except that it won't be 10 years, but more like 7. All of the shows with WLL medleys in them will be shortened with most covers jettisoned, Boogie Chillen straight to the slow jam.

Also, in the unfortunate event of one of the members' passing, that shouldn't interfere with the "10 year" plan. As long as Jimmy does the remastering and the editing for them now, then they just sit on a shelf (or, rather, a cloud) awaiting the planned release dates. At this point, sales wise, Jimmy and the band are doing this for their estates anyway.

Or I could be totally wrong. :hysterical:

And they go on a 10 year world tour. 

To show Elton who really is the boss.

:piano:

:drumz:

:whistling:

:elvis2:

Edited by Boogie Chillen 82

1 hour ago, ZosofanCMR said:

Spotted the little guy inside the gatefold of 'Led Zeppelin III'

DXAEU0nWAAEKASG.jpg

Hmmm...we know HTWWW is not a Led Zeppelin III era show. Might this be a tease for Bath 1970 or something else from the 1970 tour?

Edited by Strider

1 minute ago, Strider said:

Hmmm...we know HTWWW is not a Led Zeppelin III era show. Might this be a tease for Bath 1970 or something else from the 1970 tour?

Didn’t that picture of reel with Bath written on it, get tweeted out a couple of years ago? Could be onto something...

49 minutes ago, ohjimmy said:

Record store day release surprise I'm guessing.

Since Feb 27 is exactly one week before the full RSD release list comes out, your guess is a good one IMHO - Zep might want to get a jump on the full announcement so they don't get lost in the shuffle.

42 minutes ago, Boleskinner said:

Seems like there's a bit of conflicting info from Page and Plant.

Page saying a new live release, plus releases for the next ten years.

Plant saying there's only odds and sods left and not even enough for an album.

The usual Zep chaos!

The more I read into all this, combined with what the two have said, the more I think there will be some kind of chronological live release. Which, to me, would be really disappointing. Especially if it's stuff already available on boot. Page's "A different perspective to HTWWW" and Plant's "It should capture the whole impact" kinda leads me to this revelation.

I really hope it's the entire Bath show though lol.

Edit: This really seals the deal for a chronological live album for me- 

"Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience recently changed its name to Jason Bonham’s Led Zeppelin Evening, and it appears the directive came from Led Zeppelin themselves.

As Bonham – the son of Zeppelin drummer John Bonham, who died in 1980 – recently told KSHE 95, the original band plans to use "Led Zeppelin Experience" in a campaign marking its 50th anniversary this year."

Edited by gibsonfan159
Extra Info

2 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

The more I read into all this, combined with what the two have said, the more I think there will be some kind of chronological live release. Which, to me, would be really disappointing. Especially if it's stuff already available on boot. Page's "A different perspective to HTWWW" and Plant's "It should capture the whole impact" kinda leads me to this revelation.

I really hope it's the entire Bath show though lol.

Edit: This really seals the deal for a chronological live album for me- 

"Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience recently changed its name to Jason Bonham’s Led Zeppelin Evening, and it appears the directive came from Led Zeppelin themselves.

As Bonham – the son of Zeppelin drummer John Bonham, who died in 1980 – recently told KSHE 95, the original band plans to use "Led Zeppelin Experience" in a campaign marking its 50th anniversary this year."

Regarding the "Led Zeppelin experience", sounds more like a multimedia/memorabilia event to me rather than anything to do with live releases, or maybe the suits just didn't want any confusion over what would be a bonafide Zep event during their 50th celebrations. 

Edited by Boleskinner

This is misleading:

As Bonham – the son of Zeppelin drummer John Bonham, who died in 1980 – recently told KSHE 95, the original band plans to use "Led Zeppelin Experience" in a campaign marking its 50th anniversary this year.

He didn't say it was connected to the fiftieth anniversary, and he didn't say it's for a "campaign" either. We can assume it could be connected to that, but it's not what Jason said.

Here's his full quote about the name:

“They have plans for the terminology, Led Zeppelin Experience. And I was like, ‘Um, okay, but I need to keep the logo, JBLZE.’ One, I have the tag on my car, and two, I have a huge backdrop that I paid for last year. For me it’s about the music. So the name of it — I just wanted to keep the logo. So I said, ‘I got it. Jason Bonham’s Led Zeppelin Evening.’ I don’t know what they have planned, but I said, ‘Okay, I will clear the way so they can do what they wish.'”

10 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

lz-tease.png

Feb 27 2018.  3pm GMT / 10am EST / 7am PST.

How fun! The game is afoot!

The file name is lz-tease.png.ceaf77252afce6eb125f4e97673fc214.png 

The url is http://content.invisioncic.com/r149629/monthly_2018_02/lz-tease.png.ceaf77252afce6eb125f4e97673fc214.png

DOMAIN INFORMATION

Domain:

invisioncic.com

Registrar:

Amazon Registrar, Inc.

Registration Date:

2016-10-11

Expiration Date:

2018-10-11

Updated Date:

2017-09-06

-----------------

Excerpt from Ramble On:

I can't find my bluebird!
I listen to my bluebird sing,
But I, I can't find my bluebird!

-----------------

Clearly, this is a tease that most likely pertains to the topic of this thread.

Edited by SteveAJones

1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

How fun! The game is afoot!

The file name is lz-tease.png.ceaf77252afce6eb125f4e97673fc214.png 

The url is http://content.invisioncic.com/r149629/monthly_2018_02/lz-tease.png.ceaf77252afce6eb125f4e97673fc214.png

DOMAIN INFORMATION

Domain:

invisioncic.com

Registrar:

Amazon Registrar, Inc.

Registration Date:

2016-10-11

Expiration Date:

2018-10-11

Updated Date:

2017-09-06

-----------------

Excerpt from Ramble On:

I can't find my bluebird!
I listen to my bluebird sing,
But I, I can't find my bluebird!

-----------------

Clearly, this is a tease that most likely pertains to the topic of this thread.

Looks more like a blackbird though ;)

What do you think they'll announce?

5 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

People are gonna be ungrateful and bitch about it, no matter what.

Surely they will. If it is the book they say "we want Southampton 1973", if it is Southampton they say "We want Japan 71", if it is Japan 71, they say "We want Bath 1970" lol ;)

My preference list would be: Japan, Bath, Southampton, Book. Would take a video over all 4 together though.

Is anyone else really not interested in a tour or live show? The 02 show really seemed like the end-all to me as far as live performance goes. With no real new material, what would be the point? I've never gotten to see them live, but I sure don't wanna see some 70-somethings forcing themselves to rehash the same old routine. I'd much rather have some official live shows or something. 

1 minute ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Is anyone else really not interested in a tour or live show? The 02 show really seemed like the end-all to me as far as live performance goes. With no real new material, what would be the point? I've never gotten to see them live, but I sure don't wanna see some 70-somethings forcing themselves to rehash the same old routine. I'd much rather have some official live shows or something. 

I really don't care for a reunion at this point. In 2007 I would have loved to see more shows and get the chance to maybe see them live myself.. But these days I'd prefer old concert releases much more. I wouldn't mind if they sat together at an event to play "That's The Way" or "Going to california". Why not do that?
But I really doubt Jimmy is able to play a full show these days. 02 was already tough for him to go through all these songs.

2 hours ago, the-ocean87 said:

I wouldn't mind if they sat together at an event to play "That's The Way" or "Going to california". Why not do that?
But I really doubt Jimmy is able to play a full show these days. 02 was already tough for him to go through all these songs.

This. Anyone expecting a show both electric & long is dreaming. I can just about imagine an acoustic half hour to launch a live multimedia exhibition-type thing, but only on the first night.

• Administrators

Led Zeppelin will release a limited edition 7” single featuring 2 previously unheard mixes produced by Jimmy Page: the “Sunset Sound Mix” of “Rock And Roll” and the “Olympic Studios Mix” of “Friends.”

Available to own on April 21, exclusively at Independent Music Retailers. #RSD2018

RSDartwork.JPG