LED ZEPPELIN'S 50th ANNIVERSARY PLANS?

Strider

On 1/22/2018 at 10:06 AM, SteveAJones said:

It's just another boring Plant interview in support of another boring Plant solo album. These days, try as he does, he's about as edgy as a back issue of People magazine. 

Plant loves laughing at his own jokes. The real reason LZ will never perform together again is that Percy's lemons lost their octave register long ago and he can't sing the songs anymore. His churlish disregard for the band and legions of fans who never got to see them live is annoying at best. 

1 hour ago, Jill Bettencourt Rivera said:

Plant loves laughing at his own jokes. The real reason LZ will never perform together again is that Percy's lemons lost their octave register long ago and he can't sing the songs anymore. His churlish disregard for the band and legions of fans who never got to see them live is annoying at best. 

What a load of old tosh.

He actually cares about the band’s legacy and doesn’t want to do it a disservice, that’s why he’s not reformed the band.

The zeppelin songs he plays in his solo bands are designed to suit his voice now and not the banshee wail of old.

hes aged gracefully and done his own thing but fans like you can’t handle it.

youve still got the old records if you want to reminisce.

And plant is actually very witty and insightful, although his trademark British humour is sometimes lost on those outside the UK.

3 hours ago, Jill Bettencourt Rivera said:

Welcome Jill. Have to say though, they are in their 70’s. With the best willnin the world, do you reckon Jimmy could still play? (Rhetorical qn). And it’s hardly a disgrace at RP’s age not being able to hit those high notes. Essentially, I think you’re being harsh and a little one eyed. 

4 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

What a load of old tosh.

He actually cares about the band’s legacy and doesn’t want to do it a disservice, that’s why he’s not reformed the band.

The zeppelin songs he plays in his solo bands are designed to suit his voice now and not the banshee wail of old.

hes aged gracefully and done his own thing but fans like you can’t handle it.

youve still got the old records if you want to reminisce.

And plant is actually very witty and insightful, although his trademark British humour is sometimes lost on those outside the UK.

Yet RP tried to reform Led Zeppelin on several occasions (January ‘86 rehearsals in Bath (Peter Gabriel’s studio) with JP, JPJ & Tony Thompson (RIP; ex-Chic/Powerstation drummer) as RP was quoted as saying they had some promising new material a la “Husker Du” but JP had pedal difficulties/ Thompson involved in car accident (scrapping that attempt) and then again in early 1990s with JP, JPJ & Faith No More / Ozzy drummer Mike Bordin (per Robert's request), but things didn’t come to fruition. Then, RP & JP got together after Coverdale/Page a few years later for the successful Page & Plant Concert tours of 1995/96 & 1998/1999 (Walking Into Everywhere Tour).

RP did an about face from partnering w/ JP (other than “My Buckets Got a Whole In Ir” (Memphis / Sun Studios recording session) at the end of the 90s early 2000s to continue his solo career and hasn’t looked back since (other than per Ahmet’s wife’s request for the O2 Tribute concert).

RP definitely wanted to continue with and attempted to work with JP, JPJ & another drummer. 

His success with Raising Sand 12 years ago and multiple incarnations of Shape Shifting bands of Joy are the stew of what he’s interested in to this day. Doubtful at their age now of the 3 surviving members of Led Zeppelin ever doing anything Live (be it a song for their 50th Anniversary), but they’ve always been a band of mystery, so we’ll see.

R😎

Edited by reids

34 minutes ago, reids said:

Yet RP tried to reform Led Zeppelin on several occasions (January ‘86 rehearsals in Bath (Peter Gabriel’s studio) with JP, JPJ & Tony Thompson (RIP; ex-Chic/Powerstation drummer) as RP was quoted as saying they had some promising new material a la “Husker Du” but JP had pedal difficulties/ Thompson involved in car accident (scrapping that attempt) and then again in early 1990s with JP, JPJ & Faith No More / Ozzy drummer Mike Bordin (per Robert's request), but things didn’t come to fruition. Then, RP & JP got together after Coverdale/Page a few years later for the successful Page & Plant Concert tours of 1995/96 & 1998/1999 (Walking Into Everywhere Tour).

RP did an about face from partnering w/ JP (other than “My Buckets Got a Whole In Ir” (Memphis / Sun Studios recording session) at the end of the 90s early 2000s to continue his solo career and hasn’t looked back since (other than per Ahmet’s wife’s request for the O2 Tribute concert).

RP definitely wanted to continue with and attempted to work with JP, JPJ & another drummer. 

His success with Raising Sand 12 years ago and multiple incarnations of Shape Shifting bands of Joy are the stew of what he’s interested in to this day. Doubtful at their age now of the 3 surviving members of Led Zeppelin ever doing anything Live (be it a song for their 50th Anniversary), but they’ve always been a band of mystery, so we’ll see.

R😎

I don’t really see your point here.

the only time he briefly contemplated a reunion was bath in 86, which lasted all of a few weeks; until the reality of working again with Page kicked in.

Plant’s voice in 86 and 90 is worlds away from what it is now, and even in 2007 when they had to drop the key down for some songs.

we’re discussing his refusal to do a reunion in recent times. Not 32 years ago!

I've felt for a while that Raising Sand was the moment when he stopped being "Robert Plant, former Led Zeppelin singer" and became "Robert Plant, singer". I suspect he feels if he goes back to Zeppelin in any live way that will go up in smoke and once more he'll be "the former Zep singer". To me it was significant he complained that he gave Page & Jones a copy of Raising Sand and neither complemented him on it (quoted in the Mick Wall book). It's clearly a record he's very proud of and rightly so imo.

Guy Pratt said Plant had told him as far as he's concerned rock and roll's a young man's game, and that's that. I don't think he's being selfish or denying the fans anything at all.

Folks,

The lack of any action (even guesting on album or live,like Plant  & Page used to do for each other - has ceased.But that  has absolutely nothing to do with Roberts vocal abilities. It's purely down to relationships (or sadly the lack of them now). When relationships (say just between Jimmy & Robert) were good,you'd have for example Jimmy coming on for encore at the Hammersmith  Odeon on Robert's  Now & Zen tour (I was there),with Robert repaying the gesture like on 'The only One' on Jimmy's  'Outrider'. Sadly whilst they obviously have to communicate (all three) for  LZ business stuff,the cameraderie & rapport ain't there anymore. That's what Robert needs - and his SSS buddies fulfill that role for him '(a gang'). 

Personally,I'd like to see either Jimmy or Robert do a few select acoustic shows with Roy Harper - now that would be  great.

Edited by Mark Williams

10 hours ago, JustJill said:

Totally disagree. His sense of humor can come across as he's dissing the band but it's more to ward off constant questions about his past when he's rooted in the present, especially when promoting a new album. He's very proud of his work with Zep and I don't get any sense of negative feelings about it from him at all. I think when Bonzo died and they ended their time together, the only way for him to carry on was to start with a clean slate and put the past aside. He wasn't ever going to be the level he was with Zep but I think he was fine with that and just decided to experiment and in the spirit of Zep, push the creative envelope. Didn't always work but it didn't always work with Zep either. 

It's a huge albatross for people who achieve that level of stardom to try to start a new chapter for whatever the reasons are and we can't really understand the pressure and all they must feel. As far as it being annoying not to have seen them, well it's a bummer for sure, but if you saw them now, it wouldn't be Zep because Bonzo isn't there. Jason is a good drummer but he's not his dad and I'm not talking about talent per say but how he approached his playing, writing songs etc. Jason couldn't be that which is fine as he should be his own person, but if they did get back together (and think of the criticisms from the 02 show), people would complain about that too.

5 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

I don’t really see your point here.

the only time he briefly contemplated a reunion was bath in 86, which lasted all of a few weeks; until the reality of working again with Page kicked in.

Plant’s voice in 86 and 90 is worlds away from what it is now, and even in 2007 when they had to drop the key down for some songs.

we’re discussing his refusal to do a reunion in recent times. Not 32 years ago!

“He actually cares about the band’s legacy and doesn’t want to do it a disservice, that’s why he’s not reformed the band.”

But as we can see from history, he did more than contemplate; he actually assembled JP, JPJ and various drummers (Tony Thompson, Phil Collins, Mike Borodin, etc) to reform / rehearse “the band” (that’s the same point I made earlier). When those attempts failed, due to whatever reasons (impatience, Car accidents, etc) he then focused on his solo career and hasn’t looked back.

He NOW states he doesn’t want to do it a disservice (as he’s approaching 70). History will show us he did want to regroup w/ Led Zeppelin and attempted on multiple occasions (only for it to not come to fruition). 

Hope that clarifies things. 

R😎

Edited by reids

Robert and Jimmy are polar opposites when it comes to Zep. I've noticed in many recent interviews that Robert really isn't keen on talking about Zep's glory days. I think he wants to look at Zep as just a small cog in his musical career instead of the monolith it was and doesn't want to be tied down as "the singer for Led Zeppelin". He seems to be the type that is always in a state of change and constant musical progression. He's also a very modest person considering his success, and I think sitting around bragging about groupies and drugs during the seventies doesn't suit him much.

Jimmy on the other hand, will talk endlessly in great detail about the history of the band, to the point to where it gets kind of boring. I think that's because Zep was his baby. He put the band together and guided it's musical direction. Whereas the other mebers, while certainly contributing heavily and pulling their weight, still seemed to be along for the ride. Page also hasn't had the illustrious solo career Plant has, so it's not like he's got a lot more to keep himself occupied professionally. I suppose that's why he's delved into remastering and digging up old outtakes and such.

Edited by gibsonfan159
Spelling

I believe there are many reasons for Robert's reluctance, but most of it boils down to two things: Been there, done that and...more importantly playing second fiddle to Jimmy. If Zeppelin were to reform, and Jimmy practiced his arse off, I believe (barring unknown medical issues) it would be the Jimmy show on stage. A person who plays an instrument can do so at a very high level for years if they so wish. A voice is an organic instrument which diminishes with age and other factors. Robert knows that even at his best he could never have the vocal ability he had in 1980, much less 1972 and though everyone would be thrilled, the fact is most would be focusing on Page. Zeppelin is the draw but Jimmy is the focus.

Robert likes to be the center of attention and the captain of the ship. JP & JPJ may be willing to give him full control but on stage, in front of an audience Robert knows it's Jimmy everyone really wants to see.

I am saying this as a big fan of solo Robert and I prefer to think his motivation is the former (not wanting to be a juke box), however the fact that his live show is comprised of several Zep tunes the truth is likely much closer to the later.

Ego can be a real bitch

5 hours ago, reids said:

“He actually cares about the band’s legacy and doesn’t want to do it a disservice, that’s why he’s not reformed the band.”

But as we can see from history, he did more than contemplate; he actually assembled JP, JPJ and various drummers (Tony Thompson, Phil Collins, Mike Borodin, etc) to reform / rehearse “the band” (that’s the same point I made earlier). When those attempts failed, due to whatever reasons (impatience, Car accidents, etc) he then focused on his solo career and hasn’t looked back.

He NOW states he doesn’t want to do it a disservice (as he’s approaching 70). History will show us he did want to regroup w/ Led Zeppelin and attempted on multiple occasions (only for it to not come to fruition). 

Hope that clarifies things. 

R😎

Emm, the title of this thread is "LED ZEPPELIN'S 50TH ANNIVERSARY PLANS?"

I was responding to a comment about the here and now, not about Bath in 1986.

I think you got a bit confused.

Not to worry.

1 hour ago, Boleskinner said:

Emm, the title of this thread is "LED ZEPPELIN'S 50TH ANNIVERSARY PLANS?"

I was responding to a comment about the here and now, not about Bath in 1986.

I think you got a bit confused.

Not to worry.

Here and now “facts” you reported were based on incorrect information. I was simply replying w/ facts based on actual history relating to RP initiating Led Zeppelin’s rehearsals w/JP, JPJ, etc. This history is important as it brings us all the way to their 50th Anniversary year, which we celebrate a significant milestone.

12 hours ago, reids said:

R😎

“Been dazed and confused for so long it’s not true...”

Moving forward (after 17 existing pages, we know it’s all speculation of what is to be released until Sam, one of the surviving members or Atlantic Records announces more (in addition to the book, live cd(s)). Can’t wait to see what the surviving members of Led Zeppelin do for their 50th Anniversary. 

R😎

Edited by reids

Between seeing two fantastic Page&Plant concerts and having a 07 dvd,  they played any Zep song Id ever hope to hear in fabulous form. Any thing else at this point isn't necessary if they have no interest in continuing 

3 hours ago, reids said:

Here and now “facts” you reported were based on incorrect information.

What incorrect information? 

I was talking about HERE and NOW reasons for Plant not entertaining a reunion - basically his vocal abilities at 69 - and you started going on about Bath rehearsals 32 years ago.

The thread is titled "LED ZEPPELIN'S 50TH ANNIVERSARY PLANS?", that should be a big clue to the timeframe we're talking about.

23 hours ago, JustJill said:

Of course just about everyone knows, and it goes without saying, that Robert's octave register that he had in 1968 is long gone.

But that said, Robert can certainly sing the Led Zeppelin catalog, at a lower register, with all of the feeling and phrasing of the 1970's. But, just because someone "can" do something, doesn't mean that they want to, or that they will. And, as most know, Robert has made a choice to *not* sing any Zeppelin songs in the style of the 1970's. It's his personal choice. I leave it at that. His style choice doesn't float my boat. But, his choice is fact, and whatever you want to debate about that, do it amongst yourselves... have at it.

Robert doesn't owe Led Zeppelin fans past and present a continuing guided tour and glorification of the band, every time he speaks or is spoken to. He's doing other things now. He's moved on from what you and I know as "Led Zeppelin." Better ask Jimmy or JPJ about the past.

4 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

What incorrect information? 

I was talking about HERE and NOW reasons for Plant not entertaining a reunion - basically his vocal abilities at 69 - and you started going on about Bath rehearsals 32 years ago.

The thread is titled "LED ZEPPELIN'S 50TH ANNIVERSARY PLANS?", that should be a big clue to the timeframe we're talking about.

Hello??? The incorrect information you gave earlier was that RP was not interested (ever) in reforming Led Zeppelin:

“What a load of old tosh.

He actually cares about the band’s legacy and doesn’t want to do it a disservice, that’s why he’s not reformed the band.”

Yet, He did request JP &JPJ to join him in rehearsals & he’s reformed the band (notice the same tense??? “He’s not”, which is short for he has not. Has not being past tense ) on several occasions post 1980. Dates and History provided and proven (January ‘86 (W/ Tony Thompson), 1990 (rehearsals w/ Mike Bordin), The O2 Concert of 2007 with Led Zeppelin’s “Celebration Day” including Jason,  etc).

You want to keep this going and keep Trolling me???  You’ve had multiple opportunities to let it go, apologize, ask for clarification in a civil manner yet you’ve had run-ins with me & 3 other members recently (SAJ, luvlz2, JustJill) on the forum (including a brand new member the past few days on this thread; great first impression), which makes you & your “abrasive personality” confrontational. Please simply move on. I’ve attempted to continue with Led Zeppelin’s 50th Anniversary thread / to stay or return to topic, but you keep trying to stir up negativity / debate when the facts are proven on the forum (whatever thread you go on). Stop the harassment now. 

R

Edited by reids

31 minutes ago, reids said:

Hello??? The incorrect information you gave was that RP was not interested (ever) in reforming Led Zeppelin. He did attempt on several times post 1980. Dates and History provided and proven.

You want to keep this going and keep Trolling me???  You’ve had multiple run-ins with 3 other members recently (SAJ, luvlz2, JustJill) on the forum (including a brand new member the past few days on this thread; great first impression), which makes you & your “abrasive personality” confrontational. Please simply move on. I’ve attempted to continue with Led Zeppelin’s 50th Anniversary thread / topic, but you keep trying to stir up negativity / debate when there is no room for debate when the facts are proven on the forum whatever thread you go on. Stop the harassment now. 

R

Harassment and trolling? Are you pulling my plonker?

You said I had put posted "incorrect" information and I was just defending myself. If anything you were having a go at me.

And I don't remember having a run in with SAJ, luvlz2 and JustJill.

The only person I'v had a ding-dong with is tmtomh and we agreed to move on.

If you can't handle robust debate maybe you should go on the Elkie Brooks forums.

Chill out, dude.

B:rolleyes:

On 3/11/2018 at 3:46 AM, JustJill said:

Robert does have a sense of humor. 

Welcome To The forum, JustJill. 

Looking forward to seeing what more they have up their sleeves for their 50th Anniversary.

R😎

2 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

Harassment and trolling? Are you pulling my plonker?

You said I had put posted "incorrect" information and I was just defending myself. If anything you were having a go at me.

And I don't remember having a run in with SAJ, luvlz2 and JustJill.

The only person I'v had a ding-dong with is tmtomh and we agreed to move on.

If you can't handle robust debate maybe you should go on the Elkie Brooks forums.

Chill out, dude.

B:rolleyes:

Who the hells Elkie Brooks when he’s at home? 

4 minutes ago, Xolo1974 said:

Who the hells Elkie Brooks when he’s at home? 

She's a lady. lol.

Elkie Brooks (born Elaine Bookbinder, 25 February 1945)[3] is an English singer, a vocalist with the bands Dada and Vinegar Joe, and later a solo artist. She gained her biggest success in the late 1970s and 1980s and has been nominated twice for Brit Awards. She is known for her powerful husky voice and hit singles such as "Pearl's a Singer", "Lilac Wine", "Don't Cry Out Loud", "Fool (If You Think It's Over)", and "No More the Fool", and top-selling album Pearls. She is generally referred to as the "British Queen of Blues".[4][5] By April 2012, Brooks had released more albums that had reached the top 75 of the UK Albums Chart than any other solo British female artist, but this has since been equalled by Kate Bush.

Edited by Boleskinner

19 minutes ago, Boleskinner said:

She's a lady. lol.

Elkie Brooks (born Elaine Bookbinder, 25 February 1945)[3] is an English singer, a vocalist with the bands Dada and Vinegar Joe, and later a solo artist. She gained her biggest success in the late 1970s and 1980s and has been nominated twice for Brit Awards. She is known for her powerful husky voice and hit singles such as "Pearl's a Singer", "Lilac Wine", "Don't Cry Out Loud", "Fool (If You Think It's Over)", and "No More the Fool", and top-selling album Pearls. She is generally referred to as the "British Queen of Blues".[4][5] By April 2012, Brooks had released more albums that had reached the top 75 of the UK Albums Chart than any other solo British female artist, but this has since been equalled by Kate Bush.

I know mate. I’m not a complete fuckwitt!!! I was trying to inject a bit of humour into the middle of this debate. 

I guess I’m not a very funny bloke! 

Anyway, thanks for clarifying bud 👍

13 minutes ago, Xolo1974 said:

I know mate. I’m not a complete fuckwitt!!! I was trying to inject a bit of humour into the middle of this debate. 

I guess I’m not a very funny bloke! 

Anyway, thanks for clarifying bud 👍

ha ha. A bit of humour always appreciated!

Maybe it's a case of not having the right set of ears. Much like you have to have "bootleg ears" to appreciate certain bootlegs, perhaps some people lack the right "ears" to understand Robert Plant.

But his reticence has been there all along, right from the beginning.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/robert-plant-led-zeppelin-reunion-denials-through-the-years-w517540

Even in the afterglow of the O2 Ahmet Ertegun performance, Robert dropped huge hints why a full-fledged reunion tour would never happen. And it wasn't just because he was busy with the "Raising Sand" tour with Allison Krauss. He specifically mentioned his annoyance of having all the lawyers involved with the O2 gig, having to sign this form and that.

Robert has always made it clear that he has no problems playing with JP and JPJ again as long as it is not a nostalgic cash-grab a la the Who and the Rolling Stones. He doesn't want to do a huge stadium tour pretending it is 1973 again...while charging insane astronomical prices.

He prefers the smaller venues he tours now, with the less bloated tour entourage than the Zeppelin circus.

It is very telling that of the four or five Led Zeppelin tunes he does on a given night, most of them are covers. Only "That's the Way" and "Misty Mountain Hop" were originals the night I saw him last week. The rest were covers: "Gallows Pole", "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You", "Bring It On Home/Whole Lotta Love". 

He pretty much leaves the Zeppelin Canon alone.

Another reminder to those of you pining for the old, glory days. Remember, for all the fun and conquests of that time, those years also represent to Plant a time where he lost his son, his childhood friend, nearly lost him and his wife, and ultimately his marriage fell apart.

I don't think that ever goes away in his mind.