Plant's change in vocals

pagefan

I'm sure those of you who have listened extensively to live zeppelin across the years know the extraordinary and slightly scary change in Plant's vocal talent. From one of the most influential and powerful sounds at the time in the early 70's to an absolute trainwreck near the final days of zeppelin, he just sounds so painfully strained from 77-80. Why did this happen? Is it really as simple as, 'well, drugs'? The deterioration in quality is also definitely noticable in both page and bonham most of the time, but it is very hard to cover up a bad voice, whereas instrumental parts are less physically strenuous.

Also, something about Plant's vocals later on that confuses me; why did he begin to use so much echo later on? Was it to cover up a bad voice or just a new idea to 'enhance' the music. I feel angry at the fact that zeppelin's reputation is tainted by these later years and people call them 'sloppy' or whatever. But there's some truth behind it - does anybody know?

Does anyone remember the search function?

For the record, Plant sang better in 1977 than he did in 1975 and most of 1973. He had recovered from his vocal cord surgery.

Don't be so quick to buy into the internet trolls who dismiss later-era Zeppelin. There are some great shows from 1975-1980.

3 hours ago, pagefan said:

I'm sure those of you who have listened extensively to live zeppelin across the years know the extraordinary and slightly scary change in Plant's vocal talent. From one of the most influential and powerful sounds at the time in the early 70's to an absolute trainwreck near the final days of zeppelin, he just sounds so painfully strained from 77-80. Why did this happen? Is it really as simple as, 'well, drugs'? The deterioration in quality is also definitely noticable in both page and bonham most of the time, but it is very hard to cover up a bad voice, whereas instrumental parts are less physically strenuous.

Also, something about Plant's vocals later on that confuses me; why did he begin to use so much echo later on? Was it to cover up a bad voice or just a new idea to 'enhance' the music. I feel angry at the fact that zeppelin's reputation is tainted by these later years and people call them 'sloppy' or whatever. But there's some truth behind it - does anybody know?

You think his voice was shit is 77'??? Check this out, he belts out with more power here than he ever did prior.

20 hours ago, Strider said:

Does anyone remember the search function?

For the record, Plant sang better in 1977 than he did in 1975 and most of 1973. He had recovered from his vocal cord surgery.

Don't be so quick to buy into the internet trolls who dismiss later-era Zeppelin. There are some great shows from 1975-1980.

I would say that his voice in 77 is better than UK 73 and Europe 73. I think he's better on the NA of that year though. That tour is a real comeback for him actually. The notes he hits during WLL on TSRTS are reminiscent of the 72 tour. Also compare his delivery of the final verse of Stairway on TSRTS to his performance of that part of the song during 77 though. I will grant that he is more consistent during 77 though

5 hours ago, ZosoAddict said:

I actually dug his voice on the '75 tour. He had a few rough spots, but overall, I thought that he sounded great.

I agree actually, but I think we're in the minority for sure.  3/20 & 3/21 he is especially strong.

11 hours ago, Bonzo_fan said:

I agree actually, but I think we're in the minority for sure.  3/20 & 3/21 he is especially strong.

I fully agree Bonzo_fan. They sounded awesome in Vancouver and Seattle!

4 hours ago, ZosoAddict said:

I fully agree Bonzo_fan. They sounded awesome in Vancouver and Seattle!

Am I the only one who notices him attempting the "ah-aaaaaah-aaahhh"'s from "Immigrant Song" during "Whole Lotta Love" on 3/20?  You can tell he was finally feeling good again by this point in the tour...

20 minutes ago, Bonzo_fan said:

Am I the only one who notices him attempting the "ah-aaaaaah-aaahhh"'s from "Immigrant Song" during "Whole Lotta Love" on 3/20?  You can tell he was finally feeling good again by this point in the tour...

It sounds similar in nature, for sure.

What about the echo? Also, he definitely wasn't screaming vocals to the same extent post 76. Although I'll admit he did improve, his style wasn't as powerful

3 hours ago, Dirty Work said:

From a live standpoint, Plant's vocals changed after 6/28/72 and before 10/2/72. Very obvious when its strong one gig, complete loss of control in the upper ranges (or loss of upper ranges) the very next live gig.

Plant's vocals were already beginning to change on the American tour in '72. Listen to San Bernardino. He starts off quite rough there (for that era) and sounds tired for much of the show. And his vocals on that tour were subpar compared to the Australian tour earlier in the year (which, itself, was subpar compared to the fall UK tour). The Japan tour starts off rough, but Plant makes an impressive recovery at the last two shows. From there, it was a slow but steady downhill journey before finally bottoming out at Sheffield. 

Plus, his voice at Tuscon is actually a bit shaky in places. Listen to Over the Hills and Far Away. He cracks pretty badly on the chorus.

Good point. Thats one thing I love about HTWWW. They doctored the high notes, amplified them, because Robert had trouble with Over the Hills those two gigs. But it gave us a great Over the Hills live version in proper form.

Archived