1977 North American Tour - 40th Anniversary

ZepHead315

On 21/07/2017 at 2:56 PM, Sue Dounim said:

If Moonchild's releases of Copenhagen 1979 are what I think they are, you can.

Sue - I love these gigs, especially the 24th. Have you shared your remaster? I'd love to hear it if poss as your work is good. However, I'm not on RO - I've tried but never been able to get on. Any other way I can have a listen? 

1 hour ago, Xolo1974 said:

Sue - I love these gigs, especially the 24th. Have you shared your remaster? I'd love to hear it if poss as your work is good. However, I'm not on RO - I've tried but never been able to get on. Any other way I can have a listen? 

Both the 23rd & 24th are great shows, the 24th is just about perfect and has it all: energy, excellent technique and groove plus Jimmy is super-fluid the whole show. The only issue is on the 23rd. when Jimmy botches what is perhaps one of the easiest guitar solo's in the Zeppelin cannon in Misty Mountain Hop. He does not just botch it, he butchers it, then slips and falls on the entrails as well. The only explanation for such a glorious fuck up is that right when the solo break started, some bird in the front row held up one of Jimmy's bastards with a sign taped to his forehead which read: CHILD SUPPORT!!!.

1 hour ago, IpMan said:

Both the 23rd & 24th are great shows, the 24th is just about perfect and has it all: energy, excellent technique and groove plus Jimmy is super-fluid the whole show. The only issue is on the 23rd. when Jimmy botches what is perhaps one of the easiest guitar solo's in the Zeppelin cannon in Misty Mountain Hop. He does not just botch it, he butchers it, then slips and falls on the entrails as well. The only explanation for such a glorious fuck up is that right when the solo break started, some bird in the front row held up one of Jimmy's bastards with a sign taped to his forehead which read: CHILD SUPPORT!!!.

Haha brilliant. I don't listen the 23rd tbh, as it doesn't have TYG. I often listen to the whole gig at my desk in work and it's a really terrific show and set list. Good sounding recording too. I actually think the first Knebworth show is good too, even though it gets a bad rap. 

11 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

Haha brilliant. I don't listen the 23rd tbh, as it doesn't have TYG. I often listen to the whole gig at my desk in work and it's a really terrific show and set list. Good sounding recording too. I actually think the first Knebworth show is good too, even though it gets a bad rap. 

Yes, the first Knebworth show is very good IMO, the only real screw up is again from Jimmy during the first solo in TYG. It is not a super-major MMH from the 23rd level screw up but it is noticeable as he hits a very noticeable sour note. Other than that the show was great. I have the boot of the Aug 4th show (on DVD) which also includes Communication Breakdown from the 11th. Great DVD, great concert. The inclusion of CB at the very end from the following week was a brilliant idea. That versions on CB is one of my all time favorites and for such a lackluster concert as the 11th was, to close it out with one of the best CB just adds to the mystery. The band turns this tune into pure punk rock / speed metal bliss with Robert's hoarse voice screaming out the lyrics, Jones and Bonham pounding along at breakneck speed, and Jimmy pulling out an absolutely superb solo. The only thing which would have made this better is that upon the songs conclusion Jimmy would have walked up to the mike and said..."UK music press...FUCK YOU!!!" Then walked over and kicked a big ass hole in Bonzo's bass drum before walking off stage.

Ive heard some clunky White Summers as far a 1977 goes and am in the boat that maybe this piece should have been retired by that point but I was listening to 6/27/77 and was really blown away by how good it was... He even pushes it but keeps it even!

3 hours ago, cosmic_juice said:

Ive heard some clunky White Summers as far a 1977 goes and am in the boat that maybe this piece should have been retired by that point but I was listening to 6/27/77 and was really blown away by how good it was... He even pushes it but keeps it even!

About halfway through he seems to tease "Sympathy For The Devil" to my ears at least...

On 7/20/2017 at 11:56 PM, Sue Dounim said:

If Moonchild's releases of Copenhagen 1979 are what I think they are, you can.

From my visit to the swap meet, here is confirmation of Moonchild's Copenhagen 1979 release "Dazzling Daze 1 and 2"...and some others. All of them say "Winston Remasters" in the upper right hand corner. There were the Copenhagen warmups, the two 1971 Berkeley shows, Blueberry Hill, Bremen 1980, Zurich 1980, For Badgeholders Only, and Let's Get Together (Royal Albert Hall 1970). All claiming to be Winston Remasters.

20170806_091556.thumb.jpg.69fec6c21d3bf01e0d6b1917739a077d.jpg

6 hours ago, Strider said:

From my visit to the swap meet, here is confirmation of Moonchild's Copenhagen 1979 release "Dazzling Daze 1 and 2"...and some others. All of them say "Winston Remasters" in the upper right hand corner. There were the Copenhagen warmups, the two 1971 Berkeley shows, Blueberry Hill, Bremen 1980, Zurich 1980, For Badgeholders Only, and Let's Get Together (Royal Albert Hall 1970). All claiming to be Winston Remasters.

20170806_091556.thumb.jpg.69fec6c21d3bf01e0d6b1917739a077d.jpg

Winston hasn't done Copenhagen '79 or Berkley '71 AFAIK.

5 minutes ago, Walter said:

It is pretty bullshit, even in the world of bootlegging.

Totally, but that's a tradition. Take someone else's stuff and squeeze a little dough out of it. At least they acknowledge him...however erroneously....and they make it affordable for someone who can't get together the whole rip and burn thing from the torrent sites. 

1 hour ago, porgie66 said:

Totally, but that's a tradition. Take someone else's stuff and squeeze a little dough out of it. At least they acknowledge him...however erroneously....and they make it affordable for someone who can't get together the whole rip and burn thing from the torrent sites. 

My point was about them claiming the Copenhagen and Berkeley shows were Winston Remasters, when they aren't and there are none, is a whole new level of bullshit - even for bootlegging.  

Making more copies of a previously released show and selling them as your own has been the game since the start.

7 hours ago, Walter said:

My point was about them claiming the Copenhagen and Berkeley shows were Winston Remasters, when they aren't and there are none, is a whole new level of bullshit - even for bootlegging.  

Making more copies of a previously released show and selling them as your own has been the game since the start.

Agreed, it is a new level of bullshit. That's why I said I'm sure he's shaking his head. 

25 minutes ago, porgie66 said:

Agreed, it is a new level of bullshit. That's why I said I'm sure he's shaking his head. 

Thing is, Winston Remasters is practically a "brand name" within the Zeppelin trading community, as in, "If Andy Winston remastered it, it has to sound good!". Any given "Winston Remaster" source is considered to be the definitive, so I can see why bootleggers wouldn't hesitate to start throwing Andy's name around in order to generate sales. After all, scruples and ethics aren't exactly part of a bootlegger's M.O.- of course they'll spread around a bit of bullshit if they think they can benefit from it.

Are there any of these Moonchild label releases that don't have the "Winston Remasters" tag?

8 hours ago, Nutrocker said:

Are there any of these Moonchild label releases that don't have the "Winston Remasters" tag?

Going to California and the Yardbirds one...'from the Xanadu Archives'. Going to California is great. Much better than my old nineties 2CD with the GTCA-7194 label and single pocket sleeve/slick.

18 hours ago, duckman said:

Going to California and the Yardbirds one...'from the Xanadu Archives'. Going to California is great. Much better than my old nineties 2CD with the GTCA-7194 label and single pocket sleeve/slick.

You're right. It does say "Xanadu Archives" on the "Going to California 1 & 2" boots. I didn't look closely enough at them all. I wonder how it stacks up against the Godfatherecords Berkely releases, which sound better than all previous releases of those shows I have had.

3 hours ago, Strider said:

You're right. It does say "Xanadu Archives" on the "Going to California 1 & 2" boots. I didn't look closely enough at them all. I wonder how it stacks up against the Godfatherecords Berkely releases, which sound better than all previous releases of those shows I have had.

Bootledz'Brannon says the Moonchild California's are the same as Godfather. So I guess they knocked them off from GF.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived