New EV DVD collection

ohjimmy

I got this in the mail yesterday, and so far I am impressed. I haven't watched it all, I just skimmed through a few of the disks, but the video quality is the best I've seen. Way better than "The Film Archive." While much of this material I've already seen in one form or another, I've been surprised at the number of things I haven't seen before. But it's definitely not YouTube rips, much to my delight. The packaging is nice, I love the picture on the box, very cool.

So far I have only a couple complaints. First, the list of content, which was posted above, doesn't actually fit into the box. It's a minor thing, but still, how hard would it have been for them to make the list fit into the box. Also, I don't believe the list is accurate. I'm not certain of it, it could have just been me being confused, but I swear there were times when the list said I was watching something that I clearly wasn't. Unless there actually is a city called Vancouver in Iceland. But again, I could have just been mixed up about which video I was on.

The only other complaint is not really about what is here but rather what is missing. For it to be a truly all-inclusive set, it should have had all of the Seattle '77 show, and the two Earl's Court videos that are out there. Plus there are some other clips that appear to be missing, such as the audience footage of 6/21/77. While it may be the most complete collection to date, it isn't complete.

But what is there is as high a quality as you're going to find, so I'm still pleased with it.

"The only other complaint is not really about what is here but rather what is missing. For it to be a truly all-inclusive set, it should have had all of the Seattle '77 show, and the two Earl's Court videos that are out there. Plus there are some other clips that appear to be missing, such as the audience footage of 6/21/77. While it may be the most complete collection to date, it isn't complete."

I have to disagree. To expect this to have both earls court shows and the Seattle show is an unrealistic expectation for the price of this collection. Plus this is not what this DVD is about.......it's about all the odds and ends....not about full shows. Those are available on their own,along with both knebworth shows. 

Also,I've never heard or seen of there being any footage of LA 21st night. Where have to seen that?  This collection has everything that is available.....nothing is missing. The disc with all the yardbird footage is amazing!!

Cheers

2 hours ago, ohjimmy said:

"The only other complaint is not really about what is here but rather what is missing. For it to be a truly all-inclusive set, it should have had all of the Seattle '77 show, and the two Earl's Court videos that are out there. Plus there are some other clips that appear to be missing, such as the audience footage of 6/21/77. While it may be the most complete collection to date, it isn't complete."

I have to disagree. To expect this to have both earls court shows and the Seattle show is an unrealistic expectation for the price of this collection. Plus this is not what this DVD is about.......it's about all the odds and ends....not about full shows. Those are available on their own,along with both knebworth shows. 

Also,I've never heard or seen of there being any footage of LA 21st night. Where have to seen that?  This collection has everything that is available.....nothing is missing. The disc with all the yardbird footage is amazing!!

Cheers

Don't get me wrong, what's here is awesome, and well worth the cost to get such high quality clips, at least compared to the YouTube rips on The Film Archive. I'm not sure how EVSD promoted this set, but everywhere I've seen it listed, it says "all known footage," and that's clearly not the case. It's not so much a complaint about this set, that it lacks the Seattle and Earls Court stuff, but more a complaint about a missed opportunity. This could so easily have been as set that had all known footage, but instead it's all known footage minus this and this and that.

I mean, I'd love to tell my friends "hey, I got this awesome Zeppelin DVD set that has all known footage of the band!" But instead I have to say "hey, I got this awesome Zeppelin DVD set that has all known footage of the band...minus several complete concerts." Just doesn't have the same ring to it.

You're right about the 6/21/77, I was thinking of the footage that plays during one of the menus on the official DVD, since it includes audio from the 21st. But apparently the footage itself is not from the 21st, it looks like the footage is from 5/18/77, so my mistake there. Which I'm actually happy about, it's nice to find out that something I thought was missing isn't missing.

But that could be the next thing EVSD does, take this set, add a few more disks with the the Seattle show, the Earl's Court shows, etc. and charge an extra $100 for the Extra Special Truly Complete Collection.

I haven't gotten to the bonus disk with the Yardbirds stuff, I'll probably throw that one in tonight.

That about does it for me! I'm still hoping a torrent will pop up somewhere, but I MUST have it, even if I have to pay for it. Thanks Balthazor and ohjmmy! If I do have to purchase, it would make a swell Father's Day gift ;-)))

Thanks for the review, Balthazor.

Glad you're happy with it.

I think these type of collections are well worth the money if they say what they do on the tin.

Save hours and hours of collating everything in poor quality from the web.

14 minutes ago, Boleskinner said:

Thanks for the review, Balthazor.

Glad you're happy with it.

I think these type of collections are well worth the money if they say what they do on the tin.

Save hours and hours of collating everything in poor quality from the web.

Indeed, for me anyhow, having everything in one nice package is worth spending some money for. It's really too bad it has to be a bootleg enterprise like EV to put something like this out, and not the band itself.

One more thing I would add is that I've seen several videos now where this set has more complete versions of the video than I've seen online. Examples are the video of Page playing skiffle in 1958, it's longer than any other version I've seen, and includes two songs. Another is the interview with Page and Plant in New York 1970. It's more complete than other versions I've seen.

I figured I'd mention that as another plus to this set.

• 2 months later...

I picked up one of these EVSD "History Lesson" 7 DVD boxes yesterday at the swap meet. Still sealed. Got it for $80. Unfortunately by the time I got there he was sold out of the Deus Ex Machina Seattle Soundboard. He promised he would have one for me next month at a cheaper price.

20170807_145009.thumb.jpg.34ea190ce3c83e92ba88a45d47a45e51.jpg

After downloading the "Film Noir" disc, which is absolute shit quality I was going to give this EV collection a miss.  After seeing the pic Strider posted I'm intrigued. I'm going to have to grab it from somewhere.

10 hours ago, rm2551 said:

An entire disk for 1958-1968????

Is this an unofficial documentary of sorts? What footage could possibly fill that disk?

Here is the track listing for the Bonus Disc.

1. April 6, 1958 All Your Own (Huw Wheldon) - Source: TV broadcast

2. 1963 Interview

3. February 26, 1965 She Just Satisfies - Source: 8mm, silent

4. July 2, 1966 Music Hall de France - Source: TV broadcast

5. October 1966 Stroll On from Blow Up movie - Source: Professional recorded

6. December 2, 1966 Milton Berle Show - Source: TV broadcast

7. March 15, 1967 Beat, Beat, Beat - Source: German TV broadcast

8. April 30, 1967 Grand Spectacle de Jeunee - Source: TV broadcast

9. July 7, 1967 Let's Go - Source: Canada TV broadcast

10. March 9, 1968 Bouton Rouge Maison de Radio, Paris, France - Source: French TV

11. April 25, 1966 Heart Full of Soul - Upbeat WUAB TV Studio

• 2 weeks later...

This one is definitely only for the superfan, there is not much that is worth more than a one time watch, quality in the main is garbage. I don't know how anyone can have the nerve to charge for this stuff. Worth downloading as a curio but don't waste your money.

14 hours ago, therocker68 said:

The History Lesson DVD is worth getting,there are a loads of upgrades in quality and it is great to have everything that is available in one collection.Empress Valley do a great job getting Led Zeppelin music released,can't wait for next one !!!!

This.

15 hours ago, therocker68 said:

The History Lesson DVD is worth getting,there are a loads of upgrades in quality and it is great to have everything that is available in one collection.Empress Valley do a great job getting Led Zeppelin music released,can't wait for next one !!!!

History Lesson is only worth getting by downloading it for free, nothing is in great quality , the best looks like third generation VHS., and all the 8mm is dreadful. IMO of course. That said there are many interesting moments, such a shame about the quality, but if that's all there is.. Hey if you feel the need to purchase it's your money. Don't let me put you off.

Archived