John Paul Jones - House of Blues (2000)

I was there that day in the first row. I can be seen for about a second towards the end of the show. At the time, the concert was being streamed live which was quite interesting to do as broadband didn't really exist then. Great show too. I hope he gets out on the road in the US again soon.

I saw him at the HOB in Los Angeles on October 29, 1999. Awesome show with a great setlist:

1.    Zooma

2.    Grind

3.    The Smile of Your Shadow

4.    Nosumi Blues

5.    Spaghetti Junction

6.    No Quarter

7.    Goose

8.    Snake Eyes

9.    Crackback

10.  Bass 'n' Drums

11.  Blues Jam

12.  B. Fingers

13.  When the Levee Breaks

14. Tidal

15. Trampled Under Foot (Encore)

16.  Black Dog (Encore)

• 2 months later...

It was quite amazing how john paul jones went from destroying rock music, to  soloing like jimmy page,  grooving  on keyboards, playing dinosaur rock,  destroying rock again and then finish the show with love grooves. 

Was this show really webcast in year 2000? That's jumping the shark while the shark still swimming beyond the breakwater, if that's the case. Not surprised Jonesy would be the person leading the music delivery game at this point, but does anybody know more detail about this webcast?

• Administrators
9 hours ago, Mercurious said:

Was this show really webcast in year 2000? That's jumping the shark while the shark still swimming beyond the breakwater, if that's the case. Not surprised Jonesy would be the person leading the music delivery game at this point, but does anybody know more detail about this webcast?

The webcast was groundbreaking at the time, seventeen (!) years ago.  I dug up my old Electric Magic website archive from that time. Here's the announcement and banner ad I designed for the promotion:

jpjbanner1b.jpg

Led-Zeppelin.com News | July 13, 2000:

Announcing: John Paul Jones House of Blues Internet Broadcast - July 22nd

(July 13, 2000) Tune into the House of Blues web site July 22nd (9:00 EST), for an Internet broadcast of John Paul Jones' recent New Orleans concert (taped March 14th). Free low bandwidth connections (28.8/56k) are being offered with higher quality streams (for DSL/cable modems etc.) available as pay-per-view for only $7.99, giving you a 24 hour "cyberticket" to view the show. [JPJ H.O.B. Broadcast link].

And since we're going back in time, here's a screenshot of the homepage from back then too (July 2000)

july2000_lzcom-homepage.jpg

8 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

The webcast was groundbreaking at the time, seventeen (!) years ago.  I dug up my old Electric Magic website archive from that time. Here's the announcement and banner ad I designed for the promotion:

jpjbanner1b.jpg

Led-Zeppelin.com News | July 13, 2000:

Announcing: John Paul Jones House of Blues Internet Broadcast - July 22nd

(July 13, 2000) Tune into the House of Blues web site July 22nd (9:00 EST), for an Internet broadcast of John Paul Jones' recent New Orleans concert (taped March 14th). Free low bandwidth connections (28.8/56k) are being offered with higher quality streams (for DSL/cable modems etc.) available as pay-per-view for only $7.99, giving you a 24 hour "cyberticket" to view the show. [JPJ H.O.B. Broadcast link].

And since we're going back in time, here's a screenshot of the homepage from back then too (July 2000)

july2000_lzcom-homepage.jpg

Thanks Sam!  Bringing back some magical electric memories, Netscape 4.0, which, if I recall, was also $7.99 (per month) and I remember the hyphen in the url! I had just seen Jimmy and the Black Crowes, too, on June 29 (first show ever at the Marcus Amphitheatre in Milwaukee), but I know I didn't even bother to try to get JPJ's show over the landline. 

Archived