How did led Zeppelin change music?

At the end of the day, you've either touched people with your music, or have impressed people with your virtuosity as a technician. Some people cross those boundaries and do both. Lets compare Jimmy Page to Yngwie Malmsteen....see what I'm saying? If Jimmy Page doesn't qualify as being a virtuoso thats just fine with me. He went way beyond that anyways.B)

50 minutes ago, blindwillie127 said:

At the end of the day, you've either touched people with your music, or have impressed people with your virtuosity as a technician. Some people cross those boundaries and do both. Lets compare Jimmy Page to Yngwie Malmsteen....see what I'm saying? If Jimmy Page doesn't qualify as being a virtuoso thats just fine with me. He went way beyond that anyways.B)

?

• 2 years later...
On 6/5/2017 at 10:53 AM, blindwillie127 said:

This. +1 👍

13 hours ago, The Rover said:

I was a huge early Beatles fan. But, when they stopped touring, I lost interest very quickly. "My" Band needed to tour.

48304662906_c332c8d2f5_o.jpg

😁👍

To me  Led Zeppelin is a force that is waiting to be discovered by a whole new generation of music lovers. They brought in elements of darkness and light with a wisp of a beat. They could  conjure thunderstorm in a stadium or your headphones with melody of power and love, and at the same time bring it back down to a soft little jingle. Led Zeppelin is the band that definitely  define’s  The meaning of Rock and Roll. That’s how Zeppelin changed music.

There should be a picture of Led Zeppelin any time there’s a search for the words, Rock N Roll. They lived it, they played it, they mastered it. They changed it. They created the blue print for incorporating all styles of music with the electric blues at the center. 

R😎

1 hour ago, reids said:

There should be a picture of Led Zeppelin any time there’s a search for the words, Rock N Roll. They lived it, they played it, they mastered it. They changed it. They created the blue print for incorporating all styles of music with the electric blues at the center. 

R😎

Agreed. They influenced everything that has happened since in rock - even rap, to an extent, with Bonham’s drum beat being sampled countless times and the BB’s sampling of Jimmy’s riffs back in the late 80’s - which led to many other “classic rock” samples showing up in various songs in the 90’s, etc... 

10 hours ago, Walter said:

Agreed. They influenced everything that has happened since in rock - even rap, to an extent, with Bonham’s drum beat being sampled countless times and the BB’s sampling of Jimmy’s riffs back in the late 80’s - which led to many other “classic rock” samples showing up in various songs in the 90’s, etc... 

R😎🎸👍

7DB87FC2-EBF2-40F4-AE25-BD31960F2FD9.jpeg

All this is very interesting. But I must press one area concerning the Beatles. They changed music and musicians enormously ? What bands and what songs( Yes, Oasis, Badfinger, some others) ? Beyond the early "PoP" period, the Beatles created many brilliant songs which may have inspired some musicians, but basically their output beyond a certain 

point is in many cases can't be duplicated properly without almost all members aboard. You could play just the guitar

part from some of the Beatles' less popular songs, and not recognize the song. Whereas in Zep at least 60%-70%  or more

of their songs you could recognize straight away from the guitar or drums, even the bass  part alone. Obviously some Zep

songs are much harder than others, but the point is that Zep were the "Kings of the Riff"(of course "Kings of many musical

elements"). So learning some of Zep's riffs they often sounded strong even without other other instruments. With certain

Beatles songs, isolating parts of songs without the vocal harmonies  or bass line, you may or may not recognize it.

MAIN point: certainly the playing of riffs predates Zep, but Zep made the most colossal riffs imaginable, and hence dozens

or hundreds of bands to this day search to find the ultimate riff.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2017 at 5:52 AM, SteveAJones said:

Taking other artists songs and claiming them as their own is the extent of how they changed music. Their impact on popular culture is nowhere close to that of The Beatles. They did have an impact on the music industry, specifically the percentage of the gate receipts they took as their share and touring without an opening act.

Your joking. Only a real musician would know that is a typical non listener view. 

It was their ode to the blues ...

It was their sound.

Their bombastic balanced instrumental sound

Song structure without repeated chorus chants.

The sound of their music transcribed to radio perfectly

Album oriented without single releases 

90 percent of gate

4 hr shows before Springsteen was even 20 yrs old 

Perfectly producing that studio sound

Guitar overlays giving a thick bottom production 

Repeated smart  riffs using different chord structure and timing ( throws the listener off a bit ) 

You can’t pinpoint this band and that’s the real reason  .. Early they were thrash metal like with a blues base. Then morphing into heavy riff and drum backbeats while introducing their acoustic side along with some psychedelics mixed in with intricate song structure with an underlying bass melody. 

Being aloof and uncatorgorized is a gift in any art. Brando had it as an actor. Who can do Streetcar then play Julias Caesar in a two year span. The Beatles broke out in later years. The Rolling Stones ..pop? Rock ? Blues ? 

But Zeppelin hold the torch because you can add the mystery of their low key media exposure and total independence from the music industry folly. They were a fans band. 

Thats why 

4 hours ago, Blaize86 said:

Your joking. Only a real musician would know that is a typical non listener view. 

It was their ode to the blues ...

It was their sound.

Their bombastic balanced instrumental sound

Song structure without repeated chorus chants.

The sound of their music transcribed to radio perfectly

Album oriented without single releases 

90 percent of gate

4 hr shows before Springsteen was even 20 yrs old 

Perfectly producing that studio sound

Guitar overlays giving a thick bottom production 

Repeated smart  riffs using different chord structure and timing ( throws the listener off a bit ) 

You can’t pinpoint this band and that’s the real reason  .. Early they were thrash metal like with a blues base. Then morphing into heavy riff and drum backbeats while introducing their acoustic side along with some psychedelics mixed in with intricate song structure with an underlying bass melody. 

Being aloof and uncatorgorized is a gift in any art. Brando had it as an actor. Who can do Streetcar then play Julias Caesar in a two year span. The Beatles broke out in later years. The Rolling Stones ..pop? Rock ? Blues ? 

But Zeppelin hold the torch because you can add the mystery of their low key media exposure and total independence from the music industry folly. They were a fans band. 

Thats why 

I agree with SteveAJones, you come across as someone blinded by fandom.

Of course they changed music. So did Pink Floyd, The Beatles, and every other major artist who through their work inspired others - therefore directly changing music.

The inspiration given by songs like D&C, SIBLY, WLL, Kashmir, The entire first album (3rd, 4th, HOTH probably as well) - that goes a long way to that point.

Not to mention those strange beats, timings and melodies (black dog timing - that kind of thing). They showed that you could be really inventive and unusual and still have great hit songs. They weren't the first to do that - but to say they did not change music???? I don't get that view.

Edited by rm2551