Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

So what is this? A new boot? Something official???

07.17.17.kingdome.jpg

Edited by rm2551

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have no idea what the source of this image could even be but I hope it's an upgrade of Seattle 77 and not just some sick gag

Edited by Sue Dounim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rm2551 said:

So what is this? A new boot? Something official???

07.17.17.kingdome.jpg

 

Where did you find this image?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, rm2551 said:

So what is this? A new boot? Something official???

07.17.17.kingdome.jpg

Rod - hi mate. what makes you suggest it's a kingdome release? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had it on my facebook feed. Sincere apologies I did not take notice of source, but I think someone ping'd Dave Lewis with the shot, so I ended up seeing it and copied it. So yeah, could be shenannigans, (I probably should have disclaimed that straight away) - but it does look interesting. And the Seattle date. Isn't there video and good soundboard?

Why Kingdome: 17/07

Anyway, I was hoping this might provoke a response from someone who knows something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love it if it was the true stereo soundboard of Seattle 77, itd make a fantastic upgrade over the mono video feed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, rm2551 said:

I had it on my facebook feed. Sincere apologies I did not take notice of source, but I think someone ping'd Dave Lewis with the shot, so I ended up seeing it and copied it. So yeah, could be shenannigans, (I probably should have disclaimed that straight away) - but it does look interesting. And the Seattle date. Isn't there video and good soundboard?

Why Kingdome: 17/07

Anyway, I was hoping this might provoke a response from someone who knows something.

Surely it's something which is to be released on 7th July 2017, given the date on the picture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sue Dounim said:

I would love it if it was the true stereo soundboard of Seattle 77, itd make a fantastic upgrade over the mono video feed

You'd still need the audience recording to patch the cut near the end of "No Quarter":P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Nutrocker said:

You'd still need the audience recording to patch the cut near the end of "No Quarter":P

Good thing I've got that ;P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't get your hopes up, although I hope I'm wrong in my pessimism. If I had to guess, I would guess it will be an "upgraded" version of the video soundtrack source, whose sonic benefits over the existing best versions are modest at best.

As I say, I hope I am wrong.

Also, I'd much prefer to see the 9-29-71 soundboard released - great performance, plus holy sh** the one-song teaser we got last year is one of the best-sounding Zep soundboards from the entire '69-'71 period. But it would be weird to have that promotional photo, with that particular date, if it weren't a 40th anniversary release of Seattle '77.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It'd be wild if it was the the rest of the soundboard for 1973/07/17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sue Dounim said:

It'd be wild if it was the the rest of the soundboard for 1973/07/17

Now that is something I would really love to hear! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20.5.2017 at 2:00 AM, tmtomh said:

I wouldn't get your hopes up, although I hope I'm wrong in my pessimism. If I had to guess, I would guess it will be an "upgraded" version of the video soundtrack source, whose sonic benefits over the existing best versions are modest at best.

As I say, I hope I am wrong.

Also, I'd much prefer to see the 9-29-71 soundboard released - great performance, plus holy sh** the one-song teaser we got last year is one of the best-sounding Zep soundboards from the entire '69-'71 period. But it would be weird to have that promotional photo, with that particular date, if it weren't a 40th anniversary release of Seattle '77.

Yeah, we do need a Japan 1971 SB release, and most likely it will be 9.28.71- the bonus teaser track on "Rock Carnival" is from the 28th Sept., the first night in Osaka. I really hope it will be released in 2017. And for 9.29.71: Maybe there is also a real SB with same quality as the Black Dog teaser from the 28th.

I know a lot of people looking forward to the 3.21.75 release in June, so do I, but I think after the long string of 1975 SBs it is about time for for Japan 1971, or anything from 70-72.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2017 at 6:01 PM, Autumn Moon said:

Yeah, we do need a Japan 1971 SB release, and most likely it will be 9.28.71- the bonus teaser track on "Rock Carnival" is from the 28th Sept., the first night in Osaka. I really hope it will be released in 2017. And for 9.29.71: Maybe there is also a real SB with same quality as the Black Dog teaser from the 28th.

I know a lot of people looking forward to the 3.21.75 release in June, so do I, but I think after the long string of 1975 SBs it is about time for for Japan 1971, or anything from 70-72.

 

D'oh! That was a typo on my part when I wrote 9-29-71 - I meant -928. At any rate, I share your hope about 9-28 (and 9-29!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/22/2017 at 6:01 PM, Autumn Moon said:

And for 9.29.71: Maybe there is also a real SB with same quality as the Black Dog teaser from the 28th.

 

20 hours ago, tmtomh said:

At any rate, I share your hope about 9-28 (and 9-29!).

I thought that the general consensus based on this discussion at Royal Orleans was that the main source used for the 9/29 show was a soundboard/feed from a multitrack and NOT an audience recording.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/19/2017 at 1:15 AM, Mook said:

Surely it's something which is to be released on 7th July 2017, given the date on the picture.

Ummm...the date on the picture is July 17, 2017.

On 5/20/2017 at 3:13 AM, Sue Dounim said:

It'd be wild if it was the the rest of the soundboard for 1973/07/17

Definitely my preference, too, Sue.

Or Pontiac '77 video. No matter how greatly improved the video image on a Kingdome release, it's not a show that I would want to watch regularly, whereas Pontiac is such a show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

 

I thought that the general consensus based on this discussion at Royal Orleans was that the main source used for the 9/29 show was a soundboard/feed from a multitrack and NOT an audience recording.

To my understanding the "so called" SB of 9/29 was a soundboard/split, a recording someone made without permission of the band or the people who were in charge of recording the show- that is why the recording is so unbalanced. I think this theory is confirmed with the recently released Black Dog teaser of 9/28, which has superb balanced  sound. Think, why should the real SB of 9/29 sound worse than the recording of the previous day? Same venue, same gear- no need to alter anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Autumn Moon said:

To my understanding the "so called" SB of 9/29 was a soundboard/split, a recording someone made without permission of the band or the people who were in charge of recording the show- that is why the recording is so unbalanced. I think this theory is confirmed with the recently released Black Dog teaser of 9/28, which has superb balanced  sound. Think, why should the real SB of 9/29 sound worse than the recording of the previous day? Same venue, same gear- no need to alter anything.

Hmm...this is certainly confusing. Are you saying someone plugged their equipment into the multitrack and got a raw feed that just happened to feature Page and Bonzo? This would explain why the tape is so unbalanced, and it seems to be what others have been saying. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I can shed some more light on this. I will say based on all the evidence presented in the thread I linked above, it is most definitely NOT an audience tape from directly on the stage, as has been rumored. There's no way it would sound that unbalanced if that were the case.

Does this mean we technically both do and do not have a soundboard from this show? If so, what a conundrum! :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

Hmm...this is certainly confusing. Are you saying someone plugged their equipment into the multitrack and got a raw feed that just happened to feature Page and Bonzo? This would explain why the tape is so unbalanced, and it seems to be what others have been saying. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than I can shed some more light on this. I will say based on all the evidence presented in the thread I linked above, it is most definitely NOT an audience tape from directly on the stage, as has been rumored. There's no way it would sound that unbalanced if that were the case.

Does this mean we technically both do and do not have a soundboard from this show? If so, what a conundrum! :P

Indeed, so many confusing details about 9/29

Jimmy Page declared the Japan recordings not suitable for an official release- do we have to trust in his rating? Anyway, he would butcher/polish the tapes like he did with HTWWW, cut out the banter and the awesome covers- we can only wait for a bootleg-release. By the way, the members of Deep Purple were worried when their record company recorded their Aug. 1972 gigs with dated equipment- the results can be heard on "Made in Japan".

And yes, I reallly think that all the hitherto existing 9/29 "SB" boots are merely from the SB-split recording.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎25‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 2:34 AM, Strider said:

Ummm...the date on the picture is July 17, 2017.

I know, I don't see what links it to the Kingdome other than it's the same date 40 years down the line? I'm sure Led Zeppelin played a number of gigs on the 7th July.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Autumn Moon said:

Indeed, so many confusing details about 9/29

Jimmy Page declared the Japan recordings not suitable for an official release- do we have to trust in his rating? Anyway, he would butcher/polish the tapes like he did with HTWWW, cut out the banter and the awesome covers- we can only wait for a bootleg-release. By the way, the members of Deep Purple were worried when their record company recorded their Aug. 1972 gigs with dated equipment- the results can be heard on "Made in Japan".

And yes, I reallly think that all the hitherto existing 9/29 "SB" boots are merely from the SB-split recording.

 

Don't know why they should have been worried as it is arguably the best live album ever made. Martin Birch recorded it and thought it was tremendous. I believe the record company only wanted it for a Japanese release only but when they heard what was done, well the rest is history. Imagine a Zeppelin show in that sound. Oh boy !! Anyway it was 1972 and the Zeppelin show was 1971

Edited by chillumpuffer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mook said:

I know, I don't see what links it to the Kingdome other than it's the same date 40 years down the line? I'm sure Led Zeppelin played a number of gigs on the 7th July.

July 17, 1970 Essen

July 17, 1973 Seattle

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×