Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Walter

New Bath '70 Video?

Recommended Posts

Wow! This is like finding a nugget of gold in a stream in California.

 

Couple of observations: "it is now [presumably with technology only available in recent years?] possible to restore the footage". So that means it is a job to be done, not one that has already been done. Is Peter Whitehead amenable to a restoration project I wonder? Maybe one that might be finished just in time for the 50th anniversary of the beginning next year, hint hint.

 

also "a lot is backstage". Did Lewis ask what percentage of the 20-30 mins is onstage? I wouldn't sniff at backstage film, but for that particular show, onstage is what we're all looking for I'd think....

Most of all, if only the footage could be synced up with the existing bootlegs of the show...

http://www.theyearofledzeppelin.com/2008/02/day-55-6281970-shepton-mallet-england.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, I wrote the above article and was at the event earlier.

I think you're correct in saying the footage has not yet been restored. The professor spoke about the possibility of a restoration in the future with current technology.

The exact contents of the footage and how much was backstage was not mentioned. I know Dave has the professor's email address and is going to get in contact with him, I'm also hoping to be introduced to him and that's going to be my first question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cookie0024 said:

Hello, I wrote the above article and was at the event earlier.

I think you're correct in saying the footage has not yet been restored. The professor spoke about the possibility of a restoration in the future with current technology.

The exact contents of the footage and how much was backstage was not mentioned. I know Dave has the professor's email address and is going to get in contact with him, I'm also hoping to be introduced to him and that's going to be my first question.

Thanks for sharing this info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cookie0024 said:

Hello, I wrote the above article and was at the event earlier.

I think you're correct in saying the footage has not yet been restored. The professor spoke about the possibility of a restoration in the future with current technology.

The exact contents of the footage and how much was backstage was not mentioned. I know Dave has the professor's email address and is going to get in contact with him, I'm also hoping to be introduced to him and that's going to be my first question.

Yes, thanks for the info. It shows what a legendary performance this show was that people are getting excited about footage after all these years. Surprised if Peter Whitehead was not approached about the footage for the DVD in 2002/3? Or, I wonder, did he say back then it was in too poor condition to use?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of questions on this one, but exciting to get confirmation it exists.

is it film from just one camera?   He apparently used multiple cameras, so that's a biggie right there.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Visual only, no audio. Is it possible Jimmy has audio? Something that was not lifted from his archives?? How good is the boot?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Intriguing and very exciting news.

I'm hoping they managed to capture at least one whole song and it can be synced. I hate watching those vids where you get a few seconds of one song and then another. 

It's amazing what they can do with film restoration these days.

I saw a doco on JFK in which they managed to take the original amateur footage and make portions of each frame viewable which were previously hidden.

It was was footage at the side of each frame which was captured by the camera, but not seen on projections at the time.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I thought we already knew there was performance of Bath '70 on film. Every festival had film crews and microphones in 1970. Well, all the ones I know of.

The thing I find cool is that videos and recordings won't be released until more modern video/audio technology makes it possible. Pontiac '77 is probably in that category, and same for Seattle '77.

After 3/21/75 soundboard coming out the only thing on my wish list is LA '77 soundboards or more NYC '77 boards. Fuk yes.

Edited by Dirty Work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Dirty Work said:

I thought we already knew there was performance of Bath '70 on film. Every festival had film crews and microphones in 1970. Well, all the ones I know of.

The thing I find cool is that videos and recordings won't be released until more modern video/audio technology makes it possible. Pontiac '77 is probably in that category, and same for Seattle '77.

After 3/21/75 soundboard coming out the only thing on my wish list is LA '77 soundboards or more NYC '77 boards. Fuk yes.

Did u read any of the above posts? The performance was shot on the wrong type of film (meant for daytime) but now the technology means it is salvageable.

The other known footage, as stated above, has never surfaced.

The non-release of Seattle and Pontiac have nothing to do with technology.

Seattle was deemed subpar performance with probably no multitracks available and Pontiac may or may not exist.

Both were shot for the in-house big screens.

Edited by Boleskinner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, rm2551 said:

Visual only, no audio. Is it possible Jimmy has audio? Something that was not lifted from his archives?? How good is the boot?

Sadly, not so great. Two audience sources , both are fair to good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, porgie66 said:

Sadly, not so great. Two audience sources , both are fair to good. 

Bugger. Typical Zeppelin. Nothing is straightforward!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, porgie66 said:

Sadly, not so great. Two audience sources , both are fair to good. 

Well we can only hope for the miracle that Jimmy has a soundboard.

I very often wonder what he has stashed in the vaults live shows wise. There may be nothing that seperates itself substantially from what we have out there already - or there may be quite a few absolute fucking GOLD nuggets that he chooses to keep unreleased (or gets veto'd on). For now....

One day.

All will be revealed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Here is a video of the Q and A (featuring Julie Felix) at the Albert Hall. You can hear the response from Prof. Steve Chibnall to Dave Lewis's question from the audience. This should outline what is known about the Bath 70 footage at this point.  Dave's question comes just after the 19 minute mark.

Scroll down the page on the DMU Facebook Page and you should find it 

 
Edited by Neil J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, porgie66 said:

Sadly, not so great. Two audience sources , both are fair to good. 

I'd say fair to good is pretty generous. Hopefully there is new audio, too. :smiley_pray:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Sathington Willoughby said:

I'd say fair to good is pretty generous. Hopefully there is new audio, too. :smiley_pray:

They sound fuckin terrible. I listened for five minutes and that was all I could takes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could be wrong but wasn't there a similar report with regards to Montreux footage? Nothing happened to that unfortunately

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, blooze said:

I could be wrong but wasn't there a similar report with regards to Montreux footage? Nothing happened to that unfortunately

Could you be thinking of this? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was referring to this. I mis-remembered it thinking there was some kind of confirmation. Seems it was mostly just hearsay though. No picture confirmation like we have of the Bath show here. Sorry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

When the Zeppelin DVD was released in 2003, Page said they had explored every avenue to get film footage, including bootleggers.

If that is the case, it poses several scenarios/questions:

- The technology was not around 14 years ago to make the footage viewable, so Page didn't even consider it.

- There was there not enough live footage to warrant an inclusion on the 2003 DVD, or there was no soundboard.

- There was some contractual spat over the rights to the film and Whitehead and Zep could not come to an agreement.

 

Edited by Boleskinner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

They sound fuckin terrible. I listened for five minutes and that was all I could takes

Gotta use bootleg ears . Fair means terrible in audio speak. Good means bad. Very good means ok, excellent means good and superb means excellent. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The main problem for me is that even if audio/video are of enough good quality, JP will take 10 years to release it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×