2017 NHL season

LedZeppfan1977

The draft just took place in Chicago.   And my Sabres have plenty of reason to be optimistic after a draft that scored them straight A's by the media.  They made the best of the 8th pick grabbing Mittlestadt who the NHL had rated number 3 overall and the top rated goalie in Europe Luukkonen, a Fin who I believe will be our starter unless free agency gets us someone else right now.  Free Agency is coming and Botteril, who once played for the Sabres, has done a great job so far with his new team. The Penguins assistant GM is also now on board and of course the former Nashville assistant coach who is a Sabres hall of famer, Phil Houseley, is the new head coach.  And if you do not know, the NHL also sees Buffalo taking big steps as they have them in the Winter Classic on New Years day vs the Rangers.  The loud cheers of "lets go Buff-a-lo shall ring throughout the arena once again.  The young kids of today will be the stars of tomorrow.  I speak of the likes of Jack Eichel, Mittlestadt, Sam Reinhart, Rasmus Ristolainen, Nylander, Luukkonen and more.  

7 hours ago, bcarter690 said:

Seems like my Flyers did well in the draft with # 2 Nolan Patrick. Now they just need a good goalie.

7 hours ago, bcarter690 said:

Seems like my Flyers did well in the draft with # 2 Nolan Patrick. Now they just need a good goalie.

Well are you a member of Hockeyblogslnet?  If so, I am Hockey Junkie there and Buffalo Rick is my nickname.   Those are mainly Flyer fans.  They seem to think they are ok with Mason but certainly want better.  Get in line. Yes, they had a grade of an A by the experts as did my Sabres.  Not sure about their lower picks?  I know they took a goalie but we got the first shot at one and took the best Euro available

9 hours ago, zepscoda said:

Rangers fans will miss Dan Girardi

910 games.

2,038 blocked shots

PicsArt_06-14-05.27.21.jpg

See you on January 1st.  Winter Classic!  I wish I could go.  Never know.  Its in NY right?  Do you know where its going to be played?   Or is it in Buffalo?  I think its in NY? 

4 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

See you on January 1st.  Winter Classic!  I wish I could go.  Never know.  Its in NY right?  Do you know where its going to be played?   Or is it in Buffalo?  I think its in NY? 

Yes,  it's at Citi Field...and you may see a familiar face behind the bench:

https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2017/6/24/15868026/report-lindy-ruff-in-jeff-beukeboom-out-as-nyr-assistant-coach

On 6/28/2017 at 6:54 AM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Well are you a member of Hockeyblogslnet?  If so, I am Hockey Junkie there and Buffalo Rick is my nickname.   Those are mainly Flyer fans.  They seem to think they are ok with Mason but certainly want better.  Get in line. Yes, they had a grade of an A by the experts as did my Sabres.  Not sure about their lower picks?  I know they took a goalie but we got the first shot at one and took the best Euro available

Hey Rick. Thanks for the info! No, I'm not on Hockeyblogsnet. I'm just recently getting back into hockey after being away for some time. I'll have to check that site out if its mostly Flyers fans. I'm not quite sure about the Flyer's lower picks..although I feel that Isaac Ratcliffe will fit nicely within the team.

I've never been a fan of Mason's ( My interest in the Flyers started with Bernie Parent which is a high standard to uphold)

It should be interesting to see how their goalie prospects work out.

8 hours ago, bcarter690 said:

Hey Rick. Thanks for the info! No, I'm not on Hockeyblogsnet. I'm just recently getting back into hockey after being away for some time. I'll have to check that site out if its mostly Flyers fans. I'm not quite sure about the Flyer's lower picks..although I feel that Isaac Ratcliffe will fit nicely within the team.

I've never been a fan of Mason's ( My interest in the Flyers started with Bernie Parent which is a high standard to uphold)

It should be interesting to see how their goalie prospects work out.

I won't like, I hate the Flyers and Montreal both more than any team and only the Yankees I hate more.  They are mostly Flyer fans and they know I am Sabres all the way, with the Blues being my second favorite.  I always liked Vancouver and the Kings also.  Not happy that Miller is there and it does not appear he will ever return.  That sucks because we need him and he needs us.  The Sabres are far ahead of Vancouver as the Canucks have not really started a rebuild and are not good enough to make the playoffs.  We might be good enough this year if the goaltending works out.  Big if.  This kid from Finland is my hope.  I am totally against Lehner. I do not like him and I never will.  I do not think he is good.  I have seen him on breakaways and he is the worst shootout goalie I have ever seen. Housley and Botterill do not seem to be aware of this yet.  I hope he is not the starter.  Let the kid Luukkenen start.  The Fin.  I am all for it. 

Yes Zepcoda I know Ruff is behind the Rangers bench as an assistant.  He should be a head coach again soon.  He is certainly as good if not better than Vignault.  If things go south early for the Rangers and if Vignatult were to be fired my guess is Ruff would get the call?  Not that I wish Vignault any bad luck.  The Rangers I have always liked unless they were playing Buffalo.  

• 1 month later...

I am looking forward to the season.  I am disappointed the NHL is not going to the Olympics as of today.  That sucks.  Ovetchkin has said he will go anyways.  And there could be others that do not listen to Bettman.  My boys will be plenty improved.  My biggest concern is the goaltending.  They have Chad Johnson and Lehner both only signed for a year  This is likely to develope the kid from Finland who is considered the best goalie to be drafted in some time.  He is big and has the tools.  Likely will start in Rochester. Buffalo should be able to score. Eichel will have help at his disposal.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think they are putting a ton of pressure on Jack Eichel.  He will take care of business, worry not.  The Sabres must either groom this highly touted Finn they drafted as their future netminder, or get Miller back (not likely) or find another Hasek.  But make no mistake, Buffalo will score

• 3 weeks later...

The season starts Wed night and there is a dandy on.   St Louis at Pittsburgh.  I am picking the St Louis Blues to win the Stanley Cup.  My own Sabres should be much better but its going to take at least another year likely to gel as a young unit and they do have  new coach, Phil Houseley who played most of his career as a Sabre and was drafted by them.  An all star defenseman in his day, he can bring this team together. But I wish we had Miller back

Archived