Greta Van Fleet

mesamay2003

15 minutes ago, porgie66 said:

:bravo:Hahaha. That rating is about a point too high.

The more I hear GVF the more I dislike them. This review nails it perfectly. Especially the part about playlist algorithms.

1 hour ago, Strider said:

:bravo:Hahaha. That rating is about a point too high.

The more I hear GVF the more I dislike them. This review nails it perfectly. Especially the part about playlist algorithms.

Yeah. Brutal, but I agree with this assesment...they sound vapid and trite to me. They're getting a lot of mileage out of the comparison to Zep and I wonder who is really behind it. It can't be organic, it has to be a construction of their promotors/management. 

Edited by porgie66

The one thing I have against reviews like this (even if true) is that they give the opinion that any attempt to recreate a musical attitude of the past is automatically a futile and shameful attempt. Wolfmother had the same reviews. The Darkness had the same reviews. Yes, we know it's not even possible to top what has already been done in classic rock, but why point that out every single time a band wants to pay homage to their heroes?

I think most of it is centered around the pretentious gatekeeping the older generation has toward the music they grew up with. It's sacred ground for them and any attempt to copy or incorporate it is seen as blasphemy and is immediately stomped into the ground, regardless of the songs themselves. And these are the same people who constantly complain about how there's "No real rock music anymore". Ok, how is it even possible for "real rock music" to make a return if every single attempt is immediately shot down as nothing more than a cheap imitation? Maybe if we'd give bands like this a little room to breathe they just might bring back a lost genre. What do we have to lose?

It's not only the Greta Van Fleeting comparison, that's just the latest nonsense, it's been ALL the comparisons of the other much lesser

bands throughout the years since Zep landed in 1980. Such as:

Whitesnake, Great White, Wolfmother, Coverdale/Page, Royal Blood, Kingdom Dum, etc....

C/mon...really?

1 hour ago, nirvana said:

It's not only the Greta Van Fleeting comparison, that's just the latest nonsense, it's been ALL the comparisons of the other much lesser

bands throughout the years since Zep landed in 1980. Such as:

Whitesnake, Great White, Wolfmother, Coverdale/Page, Royal Blood, Kingdom Dum, etc....

C/mon...really?

There is no equal so let it be that. Zeppelin will always be #1.  But when you hear a young band with that fire, you wanna believe they will develop into something more diverse.  I don’t like the lead singer just screeching all the time, but we’ll see...

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2017 at 6:13 AM, z1inspector said:

BECAUSE  they are LIARS! 

I seen that interview & u could see right through him.  SHAME ON THE KID!

Yea  I got syked hearing the first song then as SOON as you hear their next song (Any) u catch on that these are all songs with mixed up Zep arangements ,intros ,lyrics ! More than using the same  themes to a Zep song 》 u can literally call off different Zep songs by name that they are copying off of!

Yes he sounds like the young "on the road singing live Robert"   but singing to jumbled up Actual Zep songs music !

By the third song you are really ANNOYED that they think by calling off Zeps influences (Led Belly ,Howlin Wolf etc...) makes them legit!

SINCE THEY MADE A POINT TO NOT mention the Almighty Zep as an influence 》

They lost their chance of any legit street cred when it comes down to it!

Kingdom Come yrs ago blew it by pretending they never heard of Jimmy Page!   "Get it On's" 

(btw a  wonderful,powerful & fun song

WHAT A RIFF! Vocals,lyrics ,drums all of it! Was just such an experience for the Zep thirsty teenager I was in the 80's. 

I would just close my eyes & pretend it WAS "our boys" who were "pushing hard to play their best" it made me Love Zep even more somehow!)

.....Riff Might actually been lifted right from Jimmys stolen jam tapes yrs ago! who knows.

I even question Claptons "Layla" riff !  Thats a Jimmy Page riff if i ever heard one! as Jimmy was just working with Clapton daily for months !  

Next thing u know Claptons with Duane Alman (r.i.p.)  across the ocean & idk whos claiming credit for the riff !  Pagey could have just been messin around jamming as he came up with his pet name for Eric 

"slowhand"

! Isnt Pagey who 1st called Clapton that??

Anyway Pagey & Jonesy got no reason to be impressed enough to mention Gretta Van Fleese because its their own chopped up sound.

As far as Percy goes....he  could probly care les the kid sounds alot like ANOTHER clone of him.

Im SURPRIZED that Robert PLANT said the few positive things he did about GVF, i think he just likes the kids VOICE!  once he hears the chopped up zep songs etc in their songs up to this date he wont be quite so impressed! I stand by the above opinion, They ARE NO LED ZEPPELIN,   & the future of ROCK is not secure because of them. I suppose its ok to go see them or turn it up on the radio however.

NOW IF or "once" they get real & aknowledge Zep is their BIGGEST influence & put some BETTER original tunes together theyll then  likely ONLY be a good band that many like.  BUT  to hear our members really talking like they got what it takes to be the next Zep is disapointing AND are making fools of themselves on our Zep site! 

And when they cant elevate their music or even 1 song to even CLOSE to Zep Quality & heights  then u will understand how SUPERIOR of a band LED ZEPPELIN REALY is.

(To "whoevers" # TWO! )

On 10/24/2018 at 1:17 AM, porgie66 said:

Yeah. Brutal, but I agree with this assesment...they sound vapid and trite to me. They're getting a lot of mileage out of the comparison to Zep and I wonder who is really behind it. It can't be organic, it has to be a construction of their promotors/management. 

Definitely. They had one of the biggest names in the pop music industry discover them.There truly is nothing organic about them for me whatsoever as well.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/24/2018 at 11:08 PM, gibsonfan159 said:

The one thing I have against reviews like this (even if true) is that they give the opinion that any attempt to recreate a musical attitude of the past is automatically a futile and shameful attempt. Wolfmother had the same reviews. The Darkness had the same reviews. Yes, we know it's not even possible to top what has already been done in classic rock, but why point that out every single time a band wants to pay homage to their heroes?

I think most of it is centered around the pretentious gatekeeping the older generation has toward the music they grew up with. It's sacred ground for them and any attempt to copy or incorporate it is seen as blasphemy and is immediately stomped into the ground, regardless of the songs themselves. And these are the same people who constantly complain about how there's "No real rock music anymore". Ok, how is it even possible for "real rock music" to make a return if every single attempt is immediately shot down as nothing more than a cheap imitation? Maybe if we'd give bands like this a little room to breathe they just might bring back a lost genre. What do we have to lose?

Top post!

I'll also add that people here and there love to martyr themselves for LZ,Sabbath,Deep Purple etc.thereby trying to rally the mindless others on the net into hating the latest rock band as well.Which they slavishly do.GVF are ok,so's Wolfmother as are many others who've copped the tiring comparisons.I'd suggest if the sad whiners who post their uninformed,invalidated shit around the net,which I see frequently were to experience one of these bands live they might actually enjoy it.  

But I can hear their Tommy Chong-like voices now "No freakin way myan....Zeppelin were first myan..".

You sad fucks are the reason that rock is dying and you're too fucking dim-witted to see it.This is the reason we can't have nice things bands.

14 minutes ago, Ross62 said:

Top post!

I'll also add that people here and there love to martyr themselves for LZ,Sabbath,Deep Purple etc.thereby trying to rally the mindless others on the net into hating the latest rock band as well.Which they slavishly do.GVF are ok,so's Wolfmother as are many others who've copped the tiring comparisons.I'd suggest if the sad whiners who post their uninformed,invalidated shit around the net,which I see frequently were to experience one of these bands live they might actually enjoy it.  

But I can hear their Tommy Chong-like voices now "No freakin way myan....Zeppelin were first myan..".

You sad fucks are the reason that rock is dying and you're too fucking dim-witted to see it.This is the reason we can't have nice things bands.

You’re pretty much spot on Ross. If people don’t like em, fine don’t like em. But the incessant bullshit attitude that people who are enjoying them are inferior listeners is the same bullshit attitude Stones and Beatles fans had with Zeppelin and makes many of them pissed. 

The band is alright, I see musical and vocal growth in the new disc. I’m gonna see them live for the first time in about 6 months. If they continue to grow as musicians, I’ll listen. ✌🏼

On 10/24/2018 at 8:08 PM, gibsonfan159 said:

Terrific post 

On 11/27/2018 at 2:00 PM, Walter said:

You’re pretty much spot on Ross. If people don’t like em, fine don’t like em. But the incessant bullshit attitude that people who are enjoying them are inferior listeners is the same bullshit attitude Stones and Beatles fans had with Zeppelin and makes many of them pissed. 

The band is alright, I see musical and vocal growth in the new disc. I’m gonna see them live for the first time in about 6 months. If they continue to grow as musicians, I’ll listen. ✌🏼

Good,I hope the concert's an enjoyable one.

I'm not a big fan of The Grammys but this is quite cool and glad the band is getting some acknowledgement for their music.  This is just for the two EP compilation of "From The Fires" and not for their debut album "Anthem of the Peaceful Army."  Not eligible yet as I think the period runs through September and album was released in October.  Perhaps, next year!

It took more than 30 years after Led Zeppelin disbanded for them to win their first one for "Celebration Day"  (excluding the lifetime award) and why these awards are such a joke!  But, will take it for GVF.  They are great live and see them if you like them as now may be one of the last times they will be playing the smaller venues.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewleimkuehler/2018/12/07/greta-van-fleet-twenty-one-pilots-fall-out-boy-grammy-award-2019-rock-nominations/?fbclid=IwAR26za0My5ChGYx9YufcBbsipZBYMU_197LSo6MWXyIGOoO13A8ZnJugC6I#7aa1e09f2e5a

Edited by SuperDave

• 1 month later...

I love their new album and I have tickets to see them in May. Also may even be able to stay up to watch SNL tonight. I don't get the hate. If anyone saw the absolutely shambolic performance by Imagine Dragons at the NCAA football championship halftime show, that's the state of music today. I am 100% behind young people writing and playing their own music (even if "inspired" by the greats that came before them). 

I love these guys. Saw them in Philly last year and the energy was amazing. Yes, they are very Zep like live (early days Zeppelin). Their cover of "That's Alright Mama" was fantastic and brought the roof down. Funny how people complain that modern rock sucks but as soon as a new band comes out with a classic rock sound, they are instantly slagged. F the haters. These guys are extremely talented and exciting live. I am a proud Greta Van fleet fan and can't wait to see them again in May!

You're The One on SNL last night:

Edited by Wolfman

15 hours ago, The Pagemeister said:

Some nerves showing on that number. Two things: Their wardrobe looks like they raided their mom's closet of "going out" clothes. Just terrible. Is he supposed to be a native American Hobbit? Freaking high water pants AND shirt? 2- Their stage movements (mostly the guitarist) are extremely forced and over exaggerated. They seriously look like kids with tennis rackets pretending they're in a rock band. So unnatural.