Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dandak

Personaly, I think Page missed a golden opportunity

Recommended Posts

Many people seem to want a Zeppelin reunion concert. Not me, in actuality only a relative few would be able to see them. Say 20000 to 75000 in a concert? Meanwhile about 10 million of us fans would not see them. BUT, perhaps new material in a new album? And Jimmy Page had the perfect opportunity. When he released all that bonus material last year, what he should have done instead is put all the unreleased songs on one album. He could have approached Plant, the holdout for anything with zeppelin it seems, and say to him, "look we got this song, '10 Ribs And All', unfinished from Presence....how about you taking a look at it, maybe writing some words to it, and we finish the damn thing?". The same thing with 'LaLa' and perhaps "St Tristams Sword". The rest (Traveling riverside, Jennings farms, Key to the Highway, Hey Hey, etc) could have been used as it is. This would give us 3 really cool NEW zep songs on a 'new' album of material. So Page/Plant/Jones/ and J Bonham could have worked on those 3 songs, keying them for Plants voice. Plant would not have the excuse of not wanting to revisit the past (as the 3 songs would be new), and instead of relatively few people seeing them once, all of us could enjoy the album anytime we want. I actually took all the 'new' songs after buying all the new releases and put them in one file and one CD. I have 12 songs and often will play it when I want to hear some 'different' zeppelin. I threw Swan Song on there also (Page really needs to finish it himself, not the Midnight Moonlight version), along with Baby Come Home, Sugar Mama, Something Else, and The Girl I love.

Technically Page could still try to sell the idea of finishing the 3 songs to Plant, I hope the idea comes to him. Robert Plant owes us nothing....I certainly understand him doing what he wants now, but a little part of me thinks: c'mon man, how bad could it be to enter a studio with those 3 and cut 3 songs the way you want them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PAGE SHOULD ONLY GO OUT ON THE ROAD AS A LEAD GUITARIST.

 

ANYTHING ELSE IS A WASTE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, kayley10 said:

I honestly think Page should get back with Coverdale.

Loved their LP, but Nobody wants to see that live.....it couldn't sell out a 5000 seat hall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, dandak said:

Many people seem to want a Zeppelin reunion concert. Not me, in actuality only a relative few would be able to see them. Say 20000 to 75000 in a concert? Meanwhile about 10 million of us fans would not see them. BUT, perhaps new material in a new album? And Jimmy Page had the perfect opportunity. When he released all that bonus material last year, what he should have done instead is put all the unreleased songs on one album. He could have approached Plant, the holdout for anything with zeppelin it seems, and say to him, "look we got this song, '10 Ribs And All', unfinished from Presence....how about you taking a look at it, maybe writing some words to it, and we finish the damn thing?". The same thing with 'LaLa' and perhaps "St Tristams Sword". The rest (Traveling riverside, Jennings farms, Key to the Highway, Hey Hey, etc) could have been used as it is. This would give us 3 really cool NEW zep songs on a 'new' album of material. So Page/Plant/Jones/ and J Bonham could have worked on those 3 songs, keying them for Plants voice. Plant would not have the excuse of not wanting to revisit the past (as the 3 songs would be new), and instead of relatively few people seeing them once, all of us could enjoy the album anytime we want. I actually took all the 'new' songs after buying all the new releases and put them in one file and one CD. I have 12 songs and often will play it when I want to hear some 'different' zeppelin. I threw Swan Song on there also (Page really needs to finish it himself, not the Midnight Moonlight version), along with Baby Come Home, Sugar Mama, Something Else, and The Girl I love.

Technically Page could still try to sell the idea of finishing the 3 songs to Plant, I hope the idea comes to him. Robert Plant owes us nothing....I certainly understand him doing what he wants now, but a little part of me thinks: c'mon man, how bad could it be to enter a studio with those 3 and cut 3 songs the way you want them?

Good Grog Charlie Brown

 

1 FPC Grog 1cc.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's as if you haven't paid attention to anything Robert has said for past 1000 years.  Remarkable level of disconnect.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, dandak said:

Many people seem to want a Zeppelin reunion concert. Not me, in actuality only a relative few would be able to see them. Say 20000 to 75000 in a concert? Meanwhile about 10 million of us fans would not see them. BUT, perhaps new material in a new album? And Jimmy Page had the perfect opportunity. When he released all that bonus material last year, what he should have done instead is put all the unreleased songs on one album. He could have approached Plant, the holdout for anything with zeppelin it seems, and say to him, "look we got this song, '10 Ribs And All', unfinished from Presence....how about you taking a look at it, maybe writing some words to it, and we finish the damn thing?". The same thing with 'LaLa' and perhaps "St Tristams Sword". The rest (Traveling riverside, Jennings farms, Key to the Highway, Hey Hey, etc) could have been used as it is. This would give us 3 really cool NEW zep songs on a 'new' album of material. So Page/Plant/Jones/ and J Bonham could have worked on those 3 songs, keying them for Plants voice. Plant would not have the excuse of not wanting to revisit the past (as the 3 songs would be new), and instead of relatively few people seeing them once, all of us could enjoy the album anytime we want. I actually took all the 'new' songs after buying all the new releases and put them in one file and one CD. I have 12 songs and often will play it when I want to hear some 'different' zeppelin. I threw Swan Song on there also (Page really needs to finish it himself, not the Midnight Moonlight version), along with Baby Come Home, Sugar Mama, Something Else, and The Girl I love.

Technically Page could still try to sell the idea of finishing the 3 songs to Plant, I hope the idea comes to him. Robert Plant owes us nothing....I certainly understand him doing what he wants now, but a little part of me thinks: c'mon man, how bad could it be to enter a studio with those 3 and cut 3 songs the way you want them?

Even IF they had taken this approach, they aren't "new" songs. Additionally, this wouldn't be the first time an after the fact approach was taken to previously unreleased material. They did so for Coda. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/7/2017 at 5:09 PM, Box of Jimmy's said:

Loved their LP, but Nobody wants to see that live.....it couldn't sell out a 5000 seat hall

That's because they didn't market it well enough the first time around. And then Page fucked off to do the sub-par No Quarter Unledded video with Robert. Thank god they redeemed themselves with Walking Into Clarksdale.

If you listen to the Japan 1993 Coverdale Page bootlegs, you'll hear an incredible live outfit. They should have stuck it out longer in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kayley10 said:

That's because they didn't market it well enough the first time around. And then Page fucked off to do the sub-par No Quarter Unledded video with Robert. Thank god they redeemed themselves with Walking Into Clarksdale.

If you listen to the Japan 1993 Coverdale Page bootlegs, you'll hear an incredible live outfit. They should have stuck it out longer in my opinion.

I agree they played very well live and the marketing may have been an issue; I certainly do not remember seeing any "tour" info at the time although I live in the Pacific NW.  I would have gone; hell, I'd go see Page play even if he was playing with Puff! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

A 5 or 6 song EP with "Fire", "Swansong", a couple of jams / riffs (Embryo 1 & 2) turned into songs from 2008 previously mentioned and those three other songs listed above would be a great way to give fans something "new" to celebrate 50 years. Also, an appearance with JP, RP, JPJ and Jason at the super bowl performing "RNR", "WLL", "Kashmir" & "STH" (in 20 minute set) would be a great way for them to play (one last time while they're still physically able) for the world. 

R?

 

Edited by reids

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/07/2017 at 9:34 PM, SteveAJones said:

Even IF they had taken this approach, they aren't "new" songs. Additionally, this wouldn't be the first time an after the fact approach was taken to previously unreleased material. They did so for Coda. 

Robert still sounded like Percy in 82' though, the only reason Walters Walk works w/ vocals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the Stones did something along these lines for the rerelease of Exile on Main Street, with Jagger adding vocals to old unfinished songs. I think its daft. what Jagger thinks is apposite now is probably entirely different to what he'd have thought in the early 70s. it'd be the same with Plant adding stuff to the suggestions you list. his voice is different, his frames of reference are different and then of course there is the question of whether he'd even entertain the idea. most actions since they split 37 years ago suggest he wouldn't, and I for one am very glad of that. id listen to it once, but I wouldn't buy it and I certainly wouldn't consider it "new" in any way

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, reids said:

A 5 or 6 song EP with "Fire", "Swansong", a couple of jams / riffs (Embryo 1 & 2) turned into songs from 2008 previously mentioned and those three other songs listed above would be a great way to give fans something "new" to celebrate 50 years. Also, an appearance with JP, RP, JPJ and Jason at the super bowl performing "RNR", "WLL", "Kashmir" & "STH" (in 20 minute set) would be a great way for them to play (one last time while they're still physically able) for the world. 

R?

 

Good Lord, if the band has ANY shred of dignity left they will NEVER play at a Super Bowl half time show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/26/2017 at 9:20 AM, Stryder1978 said:

Good Lord, if the band has ANY shred of dignity left they will NEVER play at a Super Bowl half time show.

Well, (too late) Jimmy has already played (mimed/ pre-recorded) his performance of "WLL" at the Olympics opening ceremony w/ Leona Lewis and Guy Pratt a few years ago. 

R?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always said (on the Les Paul forum and the Marshall forum) that I'd rather hear of a new album instead of a tour.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, arc anjil said:

I've always said (on the Les Paul forum and the Marshall forum) that I'd rather hear of a new album instead of a tour.....

Agreed, but if they were ever to do another one-off (brief) performance (too), something like listed above might be the way to go out with a 50 year celebration of Led Zeppelin live (as they were always a live band). 

R?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

... and do a tribute piece dedicated to John Henry Bonham (RIP) 

R?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 26/07/2017 at 9:20 PM, Stryder1978 said:

Good Lord, if the band has ANY shred of dignity left they will NEVER play at a Super Bowl half time show.

Fuck the Superb Bowl.

A Zeppelin-light medley sandwiched in-between million-dollar commercials for Chrysler and Miller Light.

The very antithesis of what Led Zeppelin was all about.

We're British; we don't do pigskin.

 

Edited by Boleskinner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Didn't even the Chilli Peppers admit they mimed at a Super Bowl show? Miming at a live show? Fuck that!

Edited by 76229

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2017 at 10:44 PM, cousinlouie said:

This used to be a good forum

It can be. A lot of negativity lately, but look around a bit and you'll find some good stuff. 

On 7/26/2017 at 9:20 AM, Stryder1978 said:

Good Lord, if the band has ANY shred of dignity left they will NEVER play at a Super Bowl half time show.

Won't happen. They still have more dignity and integrity than just about any other major band.. WTF NOBODY (Jimmy Robert or John Paul) as far as I know has ever mentioned, suggested, hinted, said in jest ANYTHING about ever playing the SUPERBOWL halftime show.. Let's not pull what if's out of the sky and shit on the band in case they might do it some day.. There's No chance this will ever happen. 

On 7/27/2017 at 0:19 PM, reids said:

Well, (too late) Jimmy has already played (mimed/ pre-recorded) his performance of "WLL" at the Olympics opening ceremony w/ Leona Lewis and Guy Pratt a few years ago. 

R?

 

So? That was Jimmy not Led Zeppelin.. Besides Jimmy likes to get across to other music styles and cultural boundries and couldn't care less what anyone thinks..It's a huge honor to participate in the Olympics opening ceremony.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2017 at 5:19 PM, reids said:

Well, (too late) Jimmy has already played (mimed/ pre-recorded) his performance of "WLL" at the Olympics opening ceremony w/ Leona Lewis and Guy Pratt a few years ago. 

R?

 

That was the Beijing hand over to London closing ceremony.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, JTM said:

That was the Beijing hand over to London closing ceremony.

Thanks for clarifying JTM. Even more of an honor for Jimmy to be representing his homeland.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Can't please everyone. Some want to gripe Jimmy never plays anymore and some want to gripe if they only play two songs with the Foo Fighters, if they only (Jimmy) jam with others in one song  in Seattle (and you can't hear him from someone's phone capturing video with not a clear mix / wah ?)or if the remaining three + Jason were to play the Super Bowl. Yep, a lot of negativity. Just enjoy the fact they played and released great music from 68 to 80 then did a Few one offs. That's why I left the forum for a number of years. Some trolls just want to argue about anything. Just enjoy what they did and focus on positive and not speculation. 

R?

Edited by reids

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×