Hello, I'm a new member and this is my first time posting. I have been following the forum for quite some time and decided to finally join. Here recently I have been scavenging looking for any info on Jimmy Page's guitars.

There is obviously info to go around about his Les Paul(s), Tele, Dano, etc. There is even a substantial amount of info on the Harmony Sovereign and the J-200 that he borrowed for Led Zeppelin I. It is known that Jimmy used a Fender XII for Stairway to Heaven in the Studio as well as When The Levee Breaks.

However, there is hardly any info regarding his acoustic 12 string guitars. He didn't use them very much from what I can hear, but it is definitely safe to say he did. Led Zeppelin III's Tangerine, Gallows Pole, and even Hey Hey What Can I Do all have an acoustic 12 String.

I have found info about a couple of 12 strings he used live for Tangerine (Giannini GWSCRA12-P Craviola and a EKO Ranger XII).

So my question is: Does anyone have any info regarding Jimmy's use of acoustic 12 strings in the studio? ANY information (whether it be interviews or whatever) is welcome.

Well one thing for sure is that Jimmy used an acoustic 12-string on more tracks than is easily heard. Often the 12 strings

were sunk in the mix, but if you removed them, you'd notice the difference. For example there are certainly 12 string acoustics

on ITTOD. Possibly All My Love, South Bound Suarez, others. I remember some of this stuff because in the store I

taught guitar, they had the official put.1 and put.2 tablature of all studio Zep. Many surprises.....a synth used very sparingly

in ALS, etc. As far as the brand of the 12-string, maybe Steve A. would know, never ever know for sure.

Yes, that's interesting now that you mention it. Page was quite the magician in the studio. After all there is some kind of guitar army going on in Achilles Last Stand and Ten Years Gone. The sound of the 12 string fascinates me. I try to decipher it out of every song I can. I can certainly hear what sounds like a 12 string in Fool In The Rain. I also read that Carouselambra was the Studio debut for the double neck. Jimmy was clever in his use of the electric 12 string. Certainly Travelling Riverside Blues and When The Levee Breaks come to mind because that are very bluesy songs with slide guitar.

The reason I take so much interest in the acoustic 12 string is because it sounds beautiful. Over The Hills And Far Away is a prime example of this. I have always wondered what guitar was used to get that bright and beautiful sound.

Archived