Indianapolis Declares "Stairway To Heaven Avenue" July 1, 1978

• Administrators

July 1, 1978 - Indianapolis Declares "Stairway To Heaven Avenue"

Official Proclamation From the City of Indianapolis:

William H. Hudnut III, Mayor

P R O C L A M A T I O N:
"STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN AVENUE"
July 1, 1978

WHEREAS: Adam Smasher and WNAP Radio conducted a contest asking listeners to name their favorite song in the hopes of having a street renamed for a day in honor of that song; and

WHEREAS: More than 8500 persons responded to that survey, naming "Stairway to Heaven" by Led Zeppelin as their favorite song and

WHEREAS:  Indianapolis, as the Crossroads of America, also happens to be the city closest to heaven, this truly making it the "Stairway to Heaven"; and

WHEREAS: It has been the goal of this administration to encourage persons of all ages to come downtown as part of our revitalization efforts; and

WHEREAS: The Smash says it's cool:

NOW, THEREFORE, I, William H. Hudnut, III, Mayor of the City of Indianapolis, do rename Meridian Street as
"STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN AVENUE"

for July 1, 1978 and call upon all citizens to commemorate this occasion  by joining the Smash and WNAP Radio in a street dance on the City Market Plaza.

IN WITNESS THEREOF, I have hereunto set me hand and caused the Seal of the City of Indianapolis to be affixed this 30th day of June, 1978.

(Signed), Willian H. Hudnut, III, Mayor.

---

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/event/july-1-1978

1978-07-01---stairway-to-heaven-ave--indianapolis.jpg

4 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

It was only renamed for one day.

Makes sense, after all, everyone knows there is no Stairway to ANYTHING heavenly in Indianapolis. It's kinda like Cleveland but somehow more boring.

2 hours ago, IpMan said:

Makes sense, after all, everyone knows there is no Stairway to ANYTHING heavenly in Indianapolis. It's kinda like Cleveland but somehow more boring.

Cleveland at least had the Agora Ballroom.

7 hours ago, IpMan said:

You are correct sir!  Been to Indy once - for a race - and won't be going back anytime soon. 

St. Elmo's Steakhouse is worth a visit, even if you're just passing through.  Great shrimp cocktail.  If you think Indy is bad, drive 25-50 miles in any direction.  That's where your problems might start.

Wasn't there a radio station in some god-forsaken place in Texas that played "Stairway" 24 hours a day for like two months ?

23 hours ago, Bong-Man said:

St. Elmo's Steakhouse is worth a visit, even if you're just passing through.  Great shrimp cocktail.  If you think Indy is bad, drive 25-50 miles in any direction.  That's where your problems might start.

All I remember is GMO corn fields everywhere. I'd never seen them before.

I did think the interconnecting above ground city tunnel system was pretty cool to use to get around quicker. I bet in the winter time, it's very useful.

Poor Naptown, no love. Not much happening there but its not all that bad, they have an excellent art museum, some decent restaurants. One of the greatest guitarists ever is from there....Wes Montgomery, so that's a point of pride for that town. 

On 8/3/2017 at 0:12 AM, IpMan said:

On this we can agree. I stopped in Indianapolis last month enroute to other places and was somewhat surprised by just how dead and lifeless the downtown area is. Perhaps it was a bit better in 1977.

Archived