Immigrant Song Ending Chord

There has been some questioning as to how to play the chord at the end of Immigrant Song. Jimmy Page claims everyone does it wrong. So it seems the only way to correctly learn it is to learn from the master himself, and in some rehearsal sessions with Aerosmith, Jimmy is actually shown teaching Joe Perry how to play the chord. Here is a screen shot (sorry for the low quality). I'm not sure exactly on the notes to how that is but I did here him say something about G-minor in the video.

I am assuming the strings would be-

E-3rd  A-1st  D-X  G-3rd  B-3rd  E-X

Any thoughts?

here is the link to the video (skip to about 25:15)

IMG_6475.PNG

IMG_6476.PNG

IMG_6478.PNG

15 hours ago, cosmic_juice said:

It is a G minor... I think you've got it right

It sounds to me like a G7 #9 chord, voiced B, F, Bb, D ...maybe I'm just hearing that b natural and it's not really there. 

I thin

1 hour ago, porgie66 said:

It sounds to me like a G7 #9 chord, voiced B, F, Bb, D ...maybe I'm just hearing that b natural and it's not really there. 

I think that 7 #9 your hearing is because the main riff is rooted in f# so that ending riff having the g min chord thrown in gives it that kind of sound with the Bb D and G of the minor...

... Ive messed around with the live solo but am not even sure how jimmy is approaching it

Yeah, seems right . The bass is playing a C though so that Gmin over C gives it a SUS kind of sound. He definitely voices it with the D up on top. I can see why Bluecongo thought of it as some type of altered C9 chord.  Sounds like it the video above he says its a G min in an inversion. I'm not a guitarist but I think it's possible to make out the voicing he's playing in the video, no ? 

On 8/9/2017 at 4:10 PM, porgie66 said:

Yeah, seems right . The bass is playing a C though so that Gmin over C gives it a SUS kind of sound. He definitely voices it with the D up on top. I can see why Bluecongo thought of it as some type of altered C9 chord.  Sounds like it the video above he says its a G min in an inversion. I'm not a guitarist but I think it's possible to make out the voicing he's playing in the video, no ? 

The OP has it right from what i can see which i find interesting because when i approach this chord i play it as a gmin7 3rd ommited in the bass ala standard jazz way and some times i just focus in the upper register and nothing in the bass but it looks like jimmy includes the Bb 3rd in the chord. Its really a chord you strike aggressively and jimmys fingering just doesnt feel natural to me which is weird because im playing his song lol

Right on the studio version, but this live "ending" is confusing and actually if you want the "old" live ending here goes.

From the 5th string down to the 2nd: C# GG D ( G(b5) ). Try this,if nothing else it sounds right, also use the bridge

pickup and mute the whole F#-G(b5) ending sequence. I fully understand how the bass line can completely change

this chord, and actually it is baffling how Page somehow twists himself, Aerosmith, and ultimately everyone by at least

to what I hear and see, Jimmy not being entirely clear. Anyway try the "old" ending, some of what Jimmy is playing

on the rehearsal sounds close, but then the confusion with the bass player's part, blah, blah. If I could I would post

a sound bite of my version with the bass, but I have an iPad and I'm a serious computer retard. Sorry.

On 8/7/2017 at 9:21 PM, TheHermit228 said:

There has been some questioning as to how to play the chord at the end of Immigrant Song. Jimmy Page claims everyone does it wrong. So it seems the only way to correctly learn it is to learn from the master himself, and in some rehearsal sessions with Aerosmith, Jimmy is actually shown teaching Joe Perry how to play the chord. Here is a screen shot (sorry for the low quality). I'm not sure exactly on the notes to how that is but I did here him say something about G-minor in the video.

I am assuming the strings would be-

E-3rd  A-1st  D-X  G-3rd  B-3rd  E-X

Any thoughts?

here is the link to the video (skip to about 25:15)

IMG_6475.PNG

IMG_6476.PNG

IMG_6478.PNG

Jimmy is a freaking beast <3

Arrggh!! Yes possibly a form of Gm, in the studio with an added E, but no Bb in the studio, and no Bb in this live version. I

think Jimmy is out of it, or for some strange reason his fingers aren't following his brain. Try to find a old Guitar World from

2003'-2005', they have the full transcription of the live video version from HTWWW, there are many great Page moves here

besides those ending chords. I'm out, that rehearsal to each his own.

Archived