Jimmy Page WNEW 1977 Interview

John M

Way back in 1979 or 1980 I was listening to WNEW-FM in New York.  They played an interview of Jimmy with Scott Muni from June 1977.  The story was that Jimmy wandered into WNEW and ended up in the booth with Scott Muni.  At the beginning of the interview, Scott says "well, we have a visitor in the studio" or something like that.  Apparently this was an unscheduled interview and Jimmy just showed up.

I have searched and searched for this interview and have never been able to find it.  There are so many other interviews out there, on YouTube etc.  

Has anyone else ever heard this interview?  Does it exist?

Thanks. 

Yes, I have the complete interview, recorded June 9, 1977, during which an exhausted Jimmy fell asleep on the floor (according to Scott Muni).

Go this link and scroll down, you'll find it: http://www.nyradioarchive.com/wnewfm.html

Edited to add: Uploader/site says recorded June 7, 1977 which is incorrect.

Edited by SteveAJones

8 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Yes, I have the complete interview, recorded June 7, 1977, during which an exhausted Jimmy fell asleep on the floor (according to Scott Muni).

Go this link and scroll down, you'll find it: http://www.nyradioarchive.com/wnewfm.html

Steve, thanks so much for the link - very cool!

But it sure sounds like the interview took place June 9 rather than June 7. Around the 28 minute mark, and then again later, the DJ says the band will play the four remaining shows Friday, Saturday, Monday, and Tuesday (e.g. June 10, 11, 13, and 14) and repeatedly refers to the Friday show as "tomorrow" and "tomorrow night."

Also, earlier in the interview the DJ makes it plain that the band already have played one or more of the 6 NYC dates, and Page says they are off that day (the day of the interview).

The only date that was (A) after at least one show had been played, (B) before the Friday June 10 show, and (C) a day off, was Thursday, June 9.

So unless I'm missing something, the interview date was June 9, not June 7, yes?

Edited by tmtomh

1 hour ago, tmtomh said:

Steve, thanks so much for the link - very cool!

But it sure sounds like the interview took place June 9 rather than June 7. Around the 28 minute mark, and then again later, the DJ says the band will play the four remaining shows Friday, Saturday, Monday, and Tuesday (e.g. June 10, 11, 13, and 14) and repeatedly refers to the Friday show as "tomorrow" and "tomorrow night."

Also, earlier in the interview the DJ makes it plain that the band already have played one or more of the 6 NYC dates, and Page says they are off that day (the day of the interview).

The only date that was (A) after at least one show had been played, (B) before the Friday June 10 show, and (C) a day off, was Thursday, June 9.

So unless I'm missing something, the interview date was June 9, not June 7, yes?

Good catch. I went with the date provided by the uploader/site, but having had a chance to check my notes I can confirm the correct date is the rainy afternoon of June 9, 1977.

12 hours ago, Strider said:

Damn. Cool discovery. I know Scott Muni is dead but did he ever discuss this interview and how it came about in depth at any time?

Yes, he did. There isn't much to say really. It was a day off on tour and Page found his way to the studio. I have another interview Muni did with Page in 1988, to promote the release of Outrider.

Steve thanks for posting this.  I realized as soon as I saw the link that I had limited my "search" to YouTube, thinking it might be on there.  Years ago I had this interview on cassette from someone I was trading tapes with back in the 80s.  Now I cannot find that tape.

I was struck by how Muni pushed Page so hard about naming musicians he wanted to see or who he really liked.

It was great to hear Page talk about the scope of the New York concerts. 

And interesting to hear Page talk about the disaster in Tampa just a few days before. 

Edited by John M

3 hours ago, John M said:

And interesting to hear Page talk about the disaster in Tampa just a few days before. 

The disaster was that the Tampa show was filmed by an audience member then accidentally exposed it afterwards. They were definitely on that night, both TSRTS and SA are among the best of the tour IMO. Also, whoever bootlegged the audio did a damn good job before the rain came down. Would have been amazing to have that whole show recorded in this quality along with some film footage. Fuck!!!

Edited by blindwillie127

Besides the exhaustion(substances + marathon shows ??) I'm almost positive Muni asks Jimmy if he was going to get some

New York Pizza. Jimmy says yeah and laughs. To me this was like asking a viking to check out the vegan restaurant a few

doors down. Anyway, has this interview been upgraded a bit, as Page speaks almost in a whisper at times, and does

some mumbling as well ??

• 1 year later...
On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 3:58 AM, Oldsguy said:

I recorded 90 minutes of this interview with songs. I would like to upload it but not sure how from my old Maxell tape. 

You have to convert the contents of the cassette tape to a digital file and then upload it. To be honest, it's probably not worth the effort given the complete recording is already in circulation.  

The Page/Muni interview is the first I ever recorded.

https://www.mixcloud.com/51965/1977-page-wnew-scott-muni-1/

https://www.mixcloud.com/51965/1977-page-wnew-scott-muni-2/

https://www.mixcloud.com/51965/playlists/zep-interviews/

EFDT

Edited by bcarter690
Site embedding first interview rather than general list of links.

• 2 weeks later...

SHIT!!! I was a senior in H.S. in the glory days of graduation/June when hardly anyone attended class - ANYWAY, Hearing that Page was being interviewed by Scott Muni (A huge name in NYC Rock radio, but really didn't know shit outside of The Beatles) rushing home to turn on WNEW 102.7 FM and hearing Scottso ask his questions and barely hearing a stoned out Jimmy reply. My friends that heard it and I looked at each other and thought we had heard a most ridiculous interview. I/We rushed home for that?

6 hours ago, bishlap said:

SHIT!!! I was a senior in H.S. in the glory days of graduation/June when hardly anyone attended class - ANYWAY, Hearing that Page was being interviewed by Scott Muni (A huge name in NYC Rock radio, but really didn't know shit outside of The Beatles) rushing home to turn on WNEW 102.7 FM and hearing Scottso ask his questions and barely hearing a stoned out Jimmy reply. My friends that heard it and I looked at each other and thought we had heard a most ridiculous interview. I/We rushed home for that?

Scott Muni has said that Jimmy literally fell asleep on the floor. Scott also interviewed Jimmy on-air again in 1988. I believe I have uploaded it online.