Robert Plant Announces New ‘Carry Fire’ LP, Debuts ‘The May Queen’ Single

Robert Plant Returns with "Carry Fire," Due October 13 on Nonesuch / Warner Bros. Records

robert-plant-carry-fire-450.jpg

Robert Plant's new album, Carry Fire, will be released by Nonesuch/Warner Bros. Records on Friday, October 13, 2017. Carry Fire is available now for pre-order at digital music retailers and in the Nonesuch Store with an instant download of the album's first track, "The May Queen," which you can hear below. Nonesuch Store pre-orders also include an exclusive limited-edition print featuring an image from the album art.

Carry Fire, Robert Plant's eleventh solo album and first full-length release since 2014's acclaimed lullaby and... The Ceaseless Roar, was produced by Plant in the west of England and Wales, at Top Cat studio in Box, Wiltshire with additional recordings at Real World and Rockfield studios. As with lullaby, Plant is accompanied by The Sensational Space Shifters: John Baggott on keyboards, moog, loops, percussion, drums, brass arrangement, t'bal, snare drum, slide guitar, piano, electric piano, bendir; Justin Adams on guitar, acoustic guitar, oud, E-bow quartet, percussion, snare drum, tambourine; Dave Smith on bendir, tambourine, djembe, drum kit; and Liam "Skin" Tyson on dobro, guitar, acoustic guitar, pedal steel, twelve-string.

Plant and the Space Shifters are also joined on Carry Fire by a number of special guests. Chrissie Hynde joins Plant on the duet "Bluebirds Over The Mountain" (written by rockabilly legend Ersel Hickey and later recorded by both Richie Valens and The Beach Boys). Albanian cellist Redi Hasa performs on three tracks, as does the celebrated Seth Lakeman on viola and fiddle.

Plant and the Space Shifters (which now includes Lakeman) will celebrate Carry Fire's release by beginning a world tour in November 2017 starting in UK & Ireland and touring all corners of globe from thereon. Dates will be announced soon; for all the latest, visit nonesuch.com/on-tour.

Plant and the band spent two years on the road together supporting lullaby and... The Ceaseless Roar, their unique sound and vision ultimately evolving into something even more creative and powerful.

Plant, who lived in Texas for a time before returning to his native England three years ago, together with his friends, present the songs Carry Fire, melding unusual rhythms with naturalism and smoldering power.

"It's about intention, I respect and relish my past works but each time I feel the lure and incentive to create new work. I must mix old with new. Consequently the whole impetus of the band has moved on its axis somewhat, the new sound and different space giving way to exciting and dramatic landscapes of mood, melody and instrumentation."

lullaby and... The Ceaseless Roar made top 10 debuts around the globe upon its release, from the US's SoundScan/Billboard 200 to album charts in Belgium, Canada, Finland, Hungary, Italy, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Sweden, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom.

Along with its international commercial appeal, lullaby and... The Ceaseless Roar drew rave reviews from such high profile media outlets as NPR Music, which named it to their 50 Favorite Albums of 2014, noting, that Plant "is still a majestic rock presence, at peace with the legacy of his hard-rock-defining band Led Zeppelin, while remaining relentlessly creative in his solo work … [The album] lovingly layers elements in ways that mirror memory, creating new constructs from floating shards of the musical past." "Robert Plant knows where rock's past begins and he's pulling it into the future," wrote the Wall Street Journal while the New York Times praised the singer's "otherworldly voice: sustained, androgynous, balanced between serenity and ache."

Britain's Guardian declared lullaby and... The Ceaseless Roar to be "fantastic: gritty, dark, and satisfying" while also making special mention of Plant's "hugely impressive backing band, the Sensational Space Shifters… There's something almost alchemical about their ability to draw together incongruent musical influences into something coherent and exciting." Pitchfork called lullaby "the most bravely confessional writing of his career."

--

Robert Plant_1200x1200.jpg

1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

Boring and repetitive indeed. Robert Plant may as well have performed to a drum loop for the last ten years. 

Was waiting for your negative comments. We get you hate his music. Why not just not say anything.  At least he's out there doing things unlike Page who is on his umpteenth remaster of Zep albums. 

9 minutes ago, tenyearsgone21 said:

Was waiting for your negative comments. We get you hate his music. Why not just not say anything.  At least he's out there doing things unlike Page who is on his umpteenth remaster of Zep albums. 

Hate is a very strong word, I assume in SAJ's case it's more "Couldn't care less".

2 minutes ago, JTM said:

Hate is a very strong word, I assume in SAJ's case it's more "Couldn't care less".

I don't know - any time there's talk of Robert's music, SAJ is pretty harsh in his words. I don't care that he's not a fan of Robert but I don't see the point of being so negative about it at every opportunity.

1 minute ago, tenyearsgone21 said:

I don't know - any time there's talk of Robert's music, SAJ is pretty harsh in his words. I don't care that he's not a fan of Robert but I don't see the point of being so negative about it at every opportunity.

I get where he's coming from, it's an age thing, older blokes can't help a bit of negativity, I know I can't.

I'll give the rest of the album a listen but if this is any sign of what's to come this will be the second RP albums that I give a listen to and then shelve.  Its like what a commenter stated above, this music goes no where. Ambience over substance, nothing sticks to my ears. Hope I'm proven wrong though.

Also I wonder if the title of this song is a reference to the May Queen in Stairway to Heaven?

Great song, love it!

I think some people here should be nicer to Robert, simply because they are Zeppelin fans, oh wait, that's exactly why they don't like his solo albums,

but hey many don't even like In through the out door, it's alright, people have different tastes, but it's annoying that people expect him to either do Led Zeppelin

style music or play in Led Zeppelin these days, otherwise it's just no good. Oh and some say this new song is repetitive? Like Led Zeppelin isn't? Oh wait, it doesn't have a guitar solo, that must be it!

I'm glad I was so kind!

My opinions have nothing to do with the fact I expect him to do Zeppelin type stuff, or whether or not he should have reformed Zep. 

I have no beef with him. 

I just don't rate the music, I really don't. And I don't rate anything he's done for a very long time. Sure it's good that he is still putting new music out (unlike some). Doesn't mean we all have to like it

It's been years since he has performed here in Phoenix, and if his tour takes him here, which I am doubtful, I will be there no doubt! But if it's anything like the last tour with extremely limited dates, many are going to be disappointed I'm sure including me.

I really like this tune and the main riff is actually very reminiscent of a riff variation Jimmy played live in 1975 during the middle section of Bron y Aur at Earls Court.

Me thinks a bit of a nod???

7 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

My opinions have nothing to do with the fact I expect him to do Zeppelin type stuff, or whether or not he should have reformed Zep. 

I have no beef with him. 

I just don't rate the music, I really don't. And I don't rate anything he's done for a very long time. Sure it's good that he is still putting new music out (unlike some). Doesn't mean we all have to like it

Are you sure it's not because of that? I wonder what most would say, if they would actually explain why they don't like it. Some here for example said it's repetitive and in terms of the riff it is. But it'a a beautiful arrangement. But Led Zeppelin's music is repetitive in that way too and there are quite a few songs without a chorus, or a strong singalong melody, or even a solo and if you put the vocals a bit lower, make the drums more quiet, it's quite similar sometimes, you just got to hear that, so it's a bit strange, some dislike it so much, I think it's quite obvious, they go for a strong, muscular guitar riff, loud drums and high, very powerful vocals. It's alright, but a bit hard to understand at times, I wonder what kind of more mellow and calm music such people even like. It would be interesting to hear that!

2 hours ago, SamoKodela said:

Are you sure it's not because of that? I wonder what most would say, if they would actually explain why they don't like it. Some here for example said it's repetitive and in terms of the riff it is. But it'a a beautiful arrangement. But Led Zeppelin's music is repetitive in that way too and there are quite a few songs without a chorus, or a strong singalong melody, or even a solo and if you put the vocals a bit lower, make the drums more quiet, it's quite similar sometimes, you just got to hear that, so it's a bit strange, some dislike it so much, I think it's quite obvious, they go for a strong, muscular guitar riff, loud drums and high, very powerful vocals. It's alright, but a bit hard to understand at times, I wonder what kind of more mellow and calm music such people even like. It would be interesting to hear that!

Would you or anyone else be drawing comparisons between this crap and Led Zeppelin were it not for Robert Plant on vocals? I highly doubt it. So you really want to know why I don't like it? Simply because I find it's fucking BORING! Honestly, it's like he's been singing to the same drum loop for more than ten years now.  

1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

Would you or anyone else be drawing comparisons between this crap and Led Zeppelin were it not for Robert Plant on vocals? I highly doubt it. So you really want to know why I don't like it? Simply because I find it's fucking BORING! Honestly, it's like he's been singing to the same drum loop for more than ten years now.  

Not true. Most bands/artists have a certain "sound" including Zep that weaves itself in their music from album to album. And of course if Robert's music sounded like Zep, he'd be accused of ripping his own band off. The guy can't win. 

4 hours ago, SamoKodela said:

Look mate, I just don't like it ok. I find it insipid and uninspiring. It's a matter of taste, and I don't expect to have to have to explain it any further...any more than I expect you to tell me why you like it. Would be nice to be taken at face value though when I say it has nothing to do with his Zep connections. That's what has got my back up

20 hours ago, tenyearsgone21 said:

What does Jimmy have to do with this? 

Archived