Robert Plant Announces New ‘Carry Fire’ LP, Debuts ‘The May Queen’ Single

Okay Bones of Saints gives me a little bit more hope for this album. I like the intro, its got a Zeppelin vibe to my ears.  And while I wouldn't say the main riff is searing or anything, its catchy enough. Again Plants vocals lifts the song up a notch or two from  being just "okay" imo. Also the song doesn't over stay its welcome. Look forward to hearing the rest. fingers crossed!

• Administrators

Robert Plant - Friday 6 October

rp-bbc.jpg

6 Music Live returns for 2017 with Lauren Laverne introducing a week of live performances from the BBC's iconic Maida Vale studios, featuring Morrissey, Mogwai, alt-J, Loyle Carner and Robert Plant.

Robert Plant and his Sensational Space Shifters will be performing songs from their new album ‘Carry Fire’ for the first time, alongside some of his classic tracks. This, his 11th album, is due for release the week after his 6 Music Live performance, and is his first full length release since 2014’s acclaimed ‘lullaby and…The Ceaseless Roar’.

Multiple Grammy Award winner; Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee; and, in a 2011 Rolling Stone poll, named by readers as the top rock vocalist of all time.

Robert Plant is best known for his work with rock heavyweights Led Zeppelin, who delivered a series of era-defining albums in the 1970s, as well as classic tracks such as 'Stairway to Heaven', 'Whole Lotta Love' and 'Kashmir'. He's since gone on to forge a successful solo career, releasing ten albums to date.

"It’s about intention," says Plant of his latter-day career and his current work. "I rejoice in my previous work but must continue the journey to new worlds, after all there are so many songs that are yet to be written."\

The sessions will take place during Lauren's 6 Music show, at midday from Monday 2 to Friday 6 October 2017. And you could be in our audience. For full details of how to register, and to read all the terms and conditions, please follow the link below:

** APPLY HERE FOR TICKETS FOR 6 MUSIC LIVE 2017 **

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/4c5Zk2gdKs98lDX8cWKMsXG/6-music-live-2017

Registration closes on Monday 11 September, 6pm.

If you're not lucky enough to get a ticket, you'll still be able to watch each performance live on the BBC Radio 6 Music website and via the BBC Red Button, as well as listening on the radio. Highlights of all the gigs will be available to catch-up on later each evening.

As has already been said on the thread this album may end up "on the shelf".  Robert brings all these musical styles together, but sometimes the end result I find to listen to as a album unsatisfying.

Some of his earlier albums felt like he was going in different directions, his last few albums for me while having some good stuff, have not exactly grabbed me....

Seth Lakeman thought career-changing call from Robert Plant was a prank

By Mark Savage

BBC Music reporter

11 September 2017

_97761297_1ebbe4ad-5378-47d5-979b-bfe2072eee82.jpg.385b2858ee9a70628a66fc52fd302e2e.jpg

Seth Lakeman says he'll be adding "Eastern and Celtic" flavours to Robert Plant's set

He's got eight albums and a Mercury Prize nomination under his belt, but Seth Lakeman is about to reach his biggest audience yet.

Starting this week he's joining Robert Plant's touring band, playing alongside the Led Zeppelin star every night on a six-month world tour.

He'll also be Plant's support act, meaning he'll be on stage for up to four hours at a time.

"We'll be ripping it up, basically," he tells the BBC.

Lakeman got the gig after working on Plant's forthcoming album, Carry Fire.

Speaking backstage at Radio 2 Live in Hyde Park on Sunday, he said he thought he was the victim of a prank when Plant first got in touch.

How did you start working with Robert Plant?

I literally got a text from an engineer I know at Real World [Peter Gabriel's recording studio in Bath] and he said, "Can RP ring you in the morning?"

I was like, "Yeah, but I don't know who RP is." Then I was getting my daughter into the car and Robert Plant rang up.

Did you believe it was him?

No! Of course not! One of my mates is a mad Zeppelin fan and I thought it was him. But then it dawned on me. This guy knows too much information about Zeppelin.

So I've been learning the Led Zeppelin back catalogue for the last month or two.

What an awful job!

Oh, it's hard work, that!

Robert usually reinterprets Led Zeppelin songs when he plays live. What is he hoping you'll add to the music?

It's interesting. People know me for writing narrative songs about where I come from, and being a folk singer - but really what i do is I experiment with the viola and the violin. And that's what I'm doing with him.

We'll be ripping it up, basically. Coming up with Eastern influences, Celtic influences. It's very much that bluesy-type explosion that guitarists tend to do, but I'm doing it on the violin.

How are the nerves?

It's difficult to know, at this stage, exactly what my role is. There was an amazing Gambian artist, Juldeh Camara, who was almost Robert's right-hand man. He's left, so that has made way for another position. That's part of why I got the call.

But I can't play North African. I can dip into it. I've studied a lot of those videos of Robert's band from the last five or ten years, but it's not like learning lines. You have to come up with a lot. I've been writing a lot. Writing to try and input.

We're talking about English folk songs that we can plant in the set - no pun intended - and all sorts of other ideas.

_97760421_2ed02fb7-cf8d-454f-a961-16f0ba2ae3d9.jpg.0e235ee9bdf76f5a017ece788fe96f16.jpg

The star performed with Devon trio Wildwood Kin at Radio 2's Hyde Park festival

This must take you away from your own solo stuff for a while.

Well, I have got a lot of songs written, so I'm looking to try and record that in January. But I am up against it now - because [this is] a serious world tour. I don't know how that's going to go down with the family yet.

But the big thing is, writing material is a really tough thing, for any artist, and I've done that bit now. The funny thing is, this music is almost a Zeppelin-type thing, without realizing I was doing it. Before that call came, that's how I was doing it.

Which Led Zeppelin songs have been the most challenging, and which ones have your enjoyed getting into?

I can't even say that, can I? There's no Kashmir, which I was happy about because that's a difficult song. But that's as far as I can go. I can't really give away the setlist.

Robert Plant and Seth Lakeman will play 6 Music Live on 6 October.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-41220247

RP Carry Fire six month world tour (October 2017 - March 2018), which means tickets for North America at earliest should be announced within this month to late October at latest, since we know he's across the pond (UK, etc) through early 2018. My guess is mid February through Mid to late March for remainder of the globe (limited US dates).  

R😎

On 9/12/2017 at 3:40 AM, reids said:

RP Carry Fire six month world tour (October 2017 - March 2018), which means tickets for North America at earliest should be announced within this month to late October at latest, since we know he's across the pond (UK, etc) through early 2018. My guess is mid February through Mid to late March for remainder of the globe (limited US dates).  

R😎

Definitely better see him if you have the chance (I certainly will) as his days of doing any extended U.S. tours are long over in my opinion. Who knows, maybe I'll go to Vegas if he books a date there in 2018. I imagine that is about the closest he will get to me on this upcoming tour. I certainly miss him coming to Phoenix and performing.

1 minute ago, reids said:

"Bluebirds over the mountain" (3rd release from Carry Fire) :

R😎

Oooh.  He's recycled the intro music he's been using for 'Rock and Roll' for the past few years on this one.
How original.

2 minutes ago, woz70 said:

Oooh.  He's recycled the intro music he's been using for 'Rock and Roll' for the past few years on this one.
How original.

Almost like when Led Zeppelin used a riff from a jam in How Many More Times for Whole Lotta Love or the 'San Francisco' section of Dazed & Confused for Achilles Last Stand.

Just as well we didn't have the internet in the 70s or they would've been getting pelters.

28 minutes ago, woz70 said:

How original.

So he'll most likely transition from / or have a medley of "Rock N Roll" into "Bluebirds over the mountain" or vice versa live on the this tour.

R😎

I just looked at a resale website and they have a bunch of tickets on sale for the Phoenix date and the presale hasn't even started, I guess that is called "speculative listing". The Phoenix Convention Center is a small place and I'm sure will sell out incredibly fast.

I'm not liking the production on this album, it sounds amateurish and reeks of ProTools 101.

Just can't get into Plant's "singing" either. It's like he's talking/whispering and aping Johnny Cash in his later years.

But at least Percy's creating new music, and not remastering one of Bonzo's farts from 1976.

I think it's cool tickets being made available through "Verified Fan" to prevent scalping but the option does not seem to be available for the Phoenix date. Did anyone who pre-registered see a Phoenix date during registration? I didn't. Have until tomorrow at noon to get registered if that's possible, I hope.

2 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

Tickets are already on sale and selling fast at least here in Phoenix! Oh, I guess that's just the presale. Well, maybe not since presale begins Thursday. But I just looked at a resale website and they had a bunch of tickets on sale for it. I just tried to register, but it doesn't show the Phoenix date, I can't register if I don't have a date to register for, what the heck? So I guess that means that all the ticket scalpers are going to get their way for the Phoenix date. :angry: Have to be registered by tomorrow morning if I want in the presale, not sure what to do or who to contact about this.

Did you pre-register? If so, then you'd receive another page of info relating to Ticketmaster in cooperation with Robert's North American tour ticket sale including policy, 2 to 4 hours prior to presale time / date for the city you selected (4 ticket maximum per person w/ no multiple registrations per address , etc. check your email spam filter ahead of time before sale. Ticketmaster also mentioned not worrying about "brokers" having tickets listed before actual sale as they are not verified seats/tickets for sale (just speculated / most likely by computer algorithms/ bots). I actually used to sell concert tickets, back in the early days of the consumer boom of the internet, so I know how these systems generally work (as an employee and a consumer). 

Hope that helps. Read all of the Ticketmaster policy and email / directions provided above posts via links and once you register.  

R😎

Archived