Robert Plant Announces New ‘Carry Fire’ LP, Debuts ‘The May Queen’ Single

Robert Plant To Be Honoured At 2018 UK Americana Awards
By Tim Peacock  
November 7, 2017

Robert Plant is to be awarded the prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award at the 2018 UK Americana Awards.  Next year’s event, which is the third of its kind, is scheduled for Thursday, 1 February 2018 at London’s Hackney Empire. The ceremony is moving to a larger venue in 2018 due to the increasing popularity of the event.

The Lifetime Achievement Award is the UK Americana Awards’ highest honour and it is being presented to the iconic former Led Zeppelin singer in recognition of his contribution to the Americana genre over the span of his career and life in music.

“We are so excited to announce that Robert Plant will be accepting our Lifetime Achievement Award in 2018,” said Stevie Freeman, CEO of the Americana Music Association UK.

“The award is our highest honour and it couldn’t be going to a more deserving recipient. Over the course of a legendary career, from his early love of blues and rock’n'roll, through the seventies with rock pioneers Led Zeppelin, to a solo career that has never stood still, Robert Plant has introduced countless millions of music lovers to American roots music. In 2007 he released the iconic Raising Sand album with bluegrass star Alison Krauss, creating new fusions in the Americana world and garnering six Grammys along the way. His latest album, Carry Fire, continues to combine elements of American roots and blues with folk styles from the UK and beyond.”

The Bob Harris Emerging Artist Award will be given to up and coming London based four-piece The Wandering Hearts.

Newly-established for 2018 and selected by the AMA-UK board members, The Grass Roots Award celebrates the sometimes un-sung heroes of the UK Americana scene. It is presented to people working in the industry (in a capacity other than as artists) who have made outstanding efforts to support Americana music from the grass roots up and its first winners are Come Down & Meet The Folks, Alan Tyler & Big Steve.

The nominations shortlist for the seven membership-voted Awards was also announced (see below) and the winners will be revealed at the third annual Awards show at Hackney Empire. The show will be hosted by legendary broadcaster Bob Harris and will feature performances from nominees and award winners, including Robert Plant and The Wandering Hearts.

The Awards show coincides with the second anniversary of the Official Americana Albums Chart, which was launched in 2016 by the Official Charts Company in partnership with the AMA-UK and is published each week on OfficialCharts.com. To celebrate the occasion, the best-selling UK Americana album of 2017 will be recognised with a special award.

Americana UK Awards 2017 Nominees:

UK Album of the Year:
Brilliant Light - Danny & The Champions of The World
I’ll Make The Most Of My Sins - Robert Vincent
Proud Disturber Of The Peace -William The Conqueror
Sweet Kind Of Blue - Emily Barker

International Album of the Year:
A Deeper Understanding - The War On Drugs
Honest Life - Courtney Marie Andrews
So You Want To Be An Outlaw - Steve Earle & The Dukes
The Nashville Sound - Jason Isbell

UK Song of the Year:
‘Devon Brigade’ - Police Dog Hogan
‘Endless Road’ - Worry Dolls
‘Home’ - Yola Carter
‘Moonshine’ - Foy Vance

International Song of the Year:
‘Pa’lante’ - Hurray For The Riff Raff
‘Ready To Die’ - Aaron Lee Tasjan
‘Thirteen Silver Dollars’ - Colter Wall
‘Tenderheart’ - Sam Outlaw

UK Artist of the Year:
Danni Nicholls
Danny & The Champions of The World
Emily Barker
Laura Marling

International Artist of the Year:
Angaleena Presley
Courtney Marie Andrews
Imelda May
Rhiannon Giddens

UK Instrumentalist of the Year:
Georgina Leach
Kit Hawes
Harry Harding
Thomas Collison

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/news/robert-plant-uk-americana-awards/

The more I play it the more I like it. My least favourite tracks are the title track and Bones of Saints. nothing wrong with either I just feel those two are just a little to commercial for me, too radio friendly if you like..

1 hour ago, ebk said:

Thanks @zepscoda for posting that!  Mr ebk mentioned it when I got home last night, and I totally forgot to look it up.  Very nice interview.

It's odd that the Honey Drippers album wasn't mentioned... they just skipped the mid 80's and totally passed over the 90's & early otts. Regardless,  it is a pretty good interview. 

Several new or revived venues have opened in the Dallas area. It'll be interesting to  see where he plays down here, if another leg of the tour is annonced. 

13 hours ago, anniemouse said:

Saw that yesterday and it is a great interview although would love someone to do his solo career in more detail.

I agree.. they could have at least flashed all his past solo work on the screen while leading up to Carry Fire. 

14 hours ago, anniemouse said:

Saw that yesterday and it is a great interview although would love someone to do his solo career in more detail.

In the Nine Lives box set there is a DVD where he goes into detail about his solo career up to that point in time, it's very good.

Luv what did he say about Shaken n Stirred on the box set. Just read an article about that LP and although deemed a dud, it got some good reviews a couple of hit singles and seems to have been a pivotal moment for his solo work. Such a strange other worldly LP which I still enjoy.

13 hours ago, anniemouse said:

Luv what did he say about Shaken n Stirred on the box set. Just read an article about that LP and although deemed a dud, it got some good reviews a couple of hit singles and seems to have been a pivotal moment for his solo work. Such a strange other worldly LP which I still enjoy.

Me too, I really liked the album from when it first came out, a very strong album to me as a teenager growing up :). I tried to play the dvd today to review, but am having problems for one reason or another :bagoverhead:.

I like the new album more the more I listen to it.  Interesting, creative, diverse, some great lyrics.  Robert has a passion for creating new music in a variety of styles and approaches.  At first I was not playing it loud enough, because it did not seen like "loud" music.  But when I crank it up some of the tracks are really transformed, especially May Queen.  So many great tracks.  Hard to choose a single favorite track at this point.  New World, May Queen, Carry Fire, and Bones of Saints are probably my top four at this point.  I have not enjoyed a Plant album this much since Mighty Rearranger.  I hope that the album is a success for Robert.  He continues to show his adventurous spirit and his keen social/political commentary in songs like New World, Carving up the World Again, and Bones of Saints.   

is there a thread for concert reviews?

Crowd has a Whole Lotta Love for legend – Robert Plant at Wolverhampton Civic Hall – Review

By James Driver-Fisher | Wolverhampton entertainment

KLXI3IVHOVHLPFGTFVMD2FKLMM.jpg

Anyone who was at Wolverhampton’s Civic Hall last night would vouch for the fact that, despite approaching his 70th year, his voice is still crystal clear and sends shivers down your spin when he hits the ridiculously high notes.

Music fans from across the country flocked to the famous music venue to see their prodigal son return – and what a night it was too as Plant soothed, excited and thrilled the audience.

The tour is backed up by his stunning new album, Carry Fire, which has everything from traditional rhythm and blues, to bluegrass, Asian-enthused ballads and straight-up rock.

Plant’s 11th solo album is just a joy to listen to and he opened the civic hall gig with the first track from Carry Fire, The May Queen.

The fantastically melodic beat, simple acoustic guitar and the singer’s hauntingly-beautiful voice just makes you nod your head in appreciation, and in time to the beat.

With the band lit up green on the stage, a single purple beam shone down on Plant – just to remind everyone the Black Country lad had returned home and, as he spoke fondly of his childhood, he then broke straight back into song.

Having never been privileged enough to have seen him live before, the civic gig was certainly one for the bucket list.

Growing up listening to the great rock icons of the 1960s and 1970s, courtesy of my dad, musicians like Plant have always been the benchmark – and to be honest it’s not really fair on the next generation to do that because no-one can touch him.

One thing you can never be sure of, however, is if such an music icon can be as good as you imagined in real life and, more importantly, if his voice will up to all the hype.

Well, any fears were soon allayed because his vocals and pitch were immaculate from the opening track.

The gig also included plenty of foot-stomping rhythm and blues, and there was even some lovely African drums thrown into the mix for good measure.

Season’s Song, off his latest album, was another beautifully sung number that just stopped everyone in their tracks – and then it was time for a bit of led Zeppelin.

Babe I’m Gonna Leave You is just one of all the time classics, and it also suits 69-year-old Plant's voice perfectly.

Perhaps the hedonistic rock days are behind him but I’m sure both he, and fans, don’t care when he can still a sing a song like that so beautifully.

And just when you thought he couldn’t top the night, he broke straight into another Zeppelin classic, That’s The Way.

With finger-picking acoustic guitar and Plant’s stunning voice, once again the venue fell silent and just watched in complete awe.

He still had time to for a few shout outs to some of his heroes – blues legends Bo Diddley and Little Richard being just two examples, who both inspired pretty much all the rock and heavy metal stars that formed in the 1960s and 1970s.

Plant then brought it back to his solo work, with Please Read The Letter, which he originally sang with Alison Krauss – and it was made even more memorable thanks to the accompanying guitar.

There was still time for a little bit of Country and Western, with a touch of bluegrass, before everyone settled back for Babe I’m Gonna Leave You.

But Robert Plant gig wouldn’t be complete without a shout out to the Black Country and he found time to thank the audience for their never ending support, praise the local music festivals – and Merry Hill even got a mention.

There was still time for a couple more Zeppelin songs, the first being What Is and What Should Never Be. A lovely, bluesy track and you can’t help bopping your head too, before the rock guitar kicks in.

Plant then reverted to his new album, singing Bones of Saints, another catchy tune, before returning with Whole Lotta of Love after his fans demanded an encore.

It was the perfect way to end a wonderful evening and, I’m proud to say, I can finally say I saw the great man live.

Plant clearly loves the Black Country – but the Black Country loves him more. Next year marks his rock icon's 70th birthday and also 50th anniversary of Led Zeppelin. It seems 2018 is already going to be a very special year.

GJ5477OUBVBRDGJVGDJRLVUL4Q.jpg

GIPCEFFUHRDVRHN3OXFI3FV5FM.jpg

https://www.expressandstar.com/entertainment/wolverhampton-entertainment/2017/11/21/crowd-has-a-whole-lotta-love-for-legend--robert-plant-at-wolverhampton-civic-hall--review/

Robert Plant fans collapse at gig amid overcrowding complaints

'Small number' of audience members fainted

DPHFxNFXkAA3lG9.jpg

Angry Robert Plant fans complained of overcrowding after some members of the audience collapsed at a Midland gig .

Officials confirmed a “small number” of people fainted due to the heat during the West Bromwich-born Led Zeppelin frontman’s performance at Wolverhampton Civic Hall on Monday night.

The city council said ventilation and heating improvements were planned at the 80-year-old venue.

Fan Scott Campbell paid more than £50 for his ticket but gave up and went home after finding himself unable to get inside the main hall.

“In the first 20 minutes I saw six or seven people being carried out of the hall after collapsing,” he told the Express and Star.

“I go to a lot of concerts but I had never seen anything like it.

“There was a large team of St John Ambulance people who were all kept busy.

“We tried the balcony but the only place to stand was behind a big pillar which blocked our view.

“We left after half-an-hour because we couldn’t see anything.”

Mr Campbell went on: “There were a lot of people in their 60s in the audience – the conditions can’t have been good for them.

“I asked to see a manager because if there was a fire and you were in the middle of the hall, there would be no way of getting out.

“She said the fire doors would be opened but it looked to me as if they were already open.

“I’ve seen Robert Plant before but I was looking forward to seeing him on his home turf.

“I’ve not been to the Civic for a gig before and I don’t think I’d go again after that experience.”

Several other fans heaped praise on the gig.

A City of Wolverhampton Council spokesman said: “The Robert Plant gig at the Civic Hall was a sell-out and the venue was at capacity for this music legend.

“Just under 3,000 people attended.

“Unfortunately, as sometimes happens at busy, crowded indoor gigs, there was a small number of people who fainted due to the heat.

“St John Ambulance were on hand to provide first aid to anyone who required attention.

“While the Civic Hall meets the required health and safety standards, it is an 80-year-old building and improvements to the ventilation and heating system are part of the planned refurbishment scheme.”

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/robert-plant-wolverhampton-collapse-gig-13938131

Robert Plant at Newcastle City Hall: Did ex-Led Zeppelin frontman manage to wow Newcastle crowds?

Robert Plant and the Sensational Space Shifters played a sold-out show at Newcastle City Hall on Friday night

Robert-Plant-4.jpg

Robert Plant set Newcastle crowds alight on Friday night, as he toured with new album, Carry Fire.

For an almost-septuagenarian (Plant is now 69), the former Led Zeppelin frontman was in spectacular voice and – rather crucially for an ageing rock god – managed to avoid any sense of being a past-it old rocker.

A lot of that is because he achieves a clever balance in his set between the old and the new.

Though he was at times a little coy about the band which probably won him the vast majority of the fans present – at one point referring to Led Zeppelin as “some chaps I used to know” - he nonetheless kept the crowd happy with a few of the legendary rock band’s numbers, putting as much energy and passion into these as his newer pieces.

That said, at no point did it feel like he was just paying homage to past glory. The older songs he chose were all those that fit well with the more folky sound he’s developed in his later years, and they gelled perfectly with the rest of the set. His voice may no longer hit the ear-splitting screams of yesteryear, but a deeper, mellower tone suited the songs he chose and the way he played them.

The likes of Gallows Pole and That’s The Way went down well, while Plant’s newer work was complimented by a few well-chosen covers – a version of ‘House of Cards’ by Richard Thompson stood out.

As a solo performer, Plant has followed his own distinctive path across a range of fields: country, bluegrass, soul and trance, and much of that journey was on show in this set.

Some of the eastern drum and guitar rhythms of the new album, Carry Fire, are reminiscent of some of his work with Jimmy Page, without feeling derivative – the title track of this new album proved one of the stand-out moments of the show.

Meanwhile Plant’s band, The Sensational Space Shifters, do much more than just fill in the backing track, bringing real personality, as well as serious musical skill, to the stage.

Guitarist Justin Adams deserves a special mention for a number of excellent, energetic solos and work with a range of instruments.

Joining the band was folk artist Seth Lakeman, who opened ably, filling the large stage with just his voice and violin or guitar. But it was with Plant and his Space Shifters that Lakeman really shone, adding joyful, foot-stomping fiddling to the line up.

Chatting to the sold-out crowd between songs – the patter was brief, but good-natured – Plant reminisced about playing in Newcastle in 1969. Plenty will have changed since then, not least the average age of his audience.

But by the end of the night, that wasn’t at all obvious. After a rapturous encore, a crowd which began the night settled neatly in their seats were almost all on their feat. They danced and roared their approval for a performer who is clearly still in his element on stage, and who remains very much a rockstar.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/robert-plant-newcastle-city-hall-13952550

Archived