Would Only One Knebworth Show Have Been Better?

The Old Hermit

6 hours ago, Nutrocker said:

uldn't work 100% of course, but somebody should try syncing the audio from the 24 July Copenhagen gig to the 4 August Knebworth video :lol: 

Believe it or not, I did this with Black Dog, and it kept kicks ass like you wouldn't believe.  I may post !  

18 hours ago, bluecongo said:

Believe it or not, I did this with Black Dog, and it kept kicks ass like you wouldn't believe.  I may post !  

Man, you should do the entire fucking show if you had the time...yer matrixing work is the real shit!

This thread inspired me to listen to the second night version of Kashmir. I actually listened to the great AUD recording as it was close at hand and that version is rather grand too IMHO. I had the first night as one of, if not the, definitive version of that song, but the second night runs it close. Esp Bonzo in the closing couple of minutes,.

12 hours ago, johnlennon696 said:

Holy shit that's great!!! The Copenhagen Black dog is one of the best versions IMO. Did you remaster the sound too? As it sounds even better than normal.

Without a doubt. The second Copenhagen warm up is my favourite late period Zeppelin concert.

I hope Page is sitting on a soundboard. Surely they must have recorded it to see how they sounded ahead of Knebworth.

I never read much about these warm ups, would be great to hear more from the band about what they thought about that second warm-up show.

Not only did they play much better at Copenhagen I thought they looked better as well, Planty wearing black at an evening outdoor event wasn't a great idea.

just to finish off the Freddie Bannister / Peter Grant shenanigans. FB states that by the end of the first week  of July only 115000 tickets had been sold and he wanted to cancel the idea of a second show, which at that time still hadn't been announced but PG was insistent it went ahead. FB states he's confident the attendance of the first show was 104000 as the arena size was 36 acres but 4 acres were taken up by staging and catering etc, leaving 32 acres of which he calculates 24 acres of 4000 people and 8 acres around the perimeter of 1000 per acre.

he also claims that he was forced by Richard Cole to sign away his rights to the recording of the event for 5 pence, but later that document became invalid as the amount was so low it was obvious that he'd had to sign under duress.

I wonder what the band themselves thought of the much less attended second show after PG had told them the demand was there for two sold out shows. I doubt we'll ever know

30 minutes ago, jsj said:

Not only did they play much better at Copenhagen I thought they looked better as well, Planty wearing black at an evening outdoor event wasn't a great idea.

just to finish off the Freddie Bannister / Peter Grant shenanigans. FB states that by the end of the first week  of July only 115000 tickets had been sold and he wanted to cancel the idea of a second show, which at that time still hadn't been announced but PG was insistent it went ahead. FB states he's confident the attendance of the first show was 104000 as the arena size was 36 acres but 4 acres were taken up by staging and catering etc, leaving 32 acres of which he calculates 24 acres of 4000 people and 8 acres around the perimeter of 1000 per acre.

he also claims that he was forced by Richard Cole to sign away his rights to the recording of the event for 5 pence, but later that document became invalid as the amount was so low it was obvious that he'd had to sign under duress.

I wonder what the band themselves thought of the much less attended second show after PG had told them the demand was there for two sold out shows. I doubt we'll ever know

Five pence - FFS! 
That was interesting, thanks for sharing.
The more you read about Knebworth the more you get the sense that everything wasn't quite right - both on and off the stage.
I remembering reading that Planty didn't really want to do Knebworth and he was sort of cajoled into it.
Anyway, it is what it is.
At the very least we've got a visual document of the band's later career, including one of the best versions of Kashmir they did.
If they hadn't done Knebworth, post 75 all we would have on video would be the Kingdom show, which is super dark and only used a couple(?) of cameras.

There is still some good shit from Knebworth TBH. Over The Hills is strong, so is No Quarter and Ten Years Gone IMO. Both from the first night. Plus of course the songs that were on the Zep DVD.

On the Zep DVD at the start of Achilles; Where did they take that shot of the crowd from where they show that firework type display?

On 8/24/2017 at 2:06 PM, Boleskinner said:

Five pence - FFS! 
That was interesting, thanks for sharing.
The more you read about Knebworth the more you get the sense that everything wasn't quite right - both on and off the stage.

Cocaine's a helluva drug.

On 8/24/2017 at 3:50 PM, johnlennon696 said:

On the Zep DVD at the start of Achilles; Where did they take that shot of the crowd from where they show that firework type display?

Another poster on this thread has said it may have been from 'Kashmir' - specifically at the "...all will be revealed..." line - but I'm not so sure, the band were using flashbombs at the same moment of 'Achilles...' during the '77 tour, were they not?

Were any forum members at the Knebworth shows, were flashbombs used during 'Achilles...' at that point in the song?

51 minutes ago, The Old Hermit said:

Were any forum members at the Knebworth shows, were flashbombs used during 'Achilles...' at that point in the song?

Blimey hermit, you're asking a lot of 38 year old memories!!

1 hour ago, The Old Hermit said:

Cocaine's a helluva drug.

Another poster on this thread has said it may have been from 'Kashmir' - specifically at the "...all will be revealed..." line - but I'm not so sure, the band were using flashbombs at the same moment of 'Achilles...' during the '77 tour, were they not?

Yeah i have read before it may have been during Kashmir, but i haven't seen the second night on video myself. Only listened to the audio.

2 hours ago, johnlennon696 said:

Yeah i have read before it may have been during Kashmir, but i haven't seen the second night on video myself. Only listened to the audio.

Okay, just checked the 11/8/79 video and it's clear that the shot of the flashbombs going off during 'Achilles...' on DVD are from that performance; Jimmy's position moving past the drum riser matches and you can still see the smoke from said pyrotechnics... so it's definitely from 'Achilles...' and from the August 11th show.

1 hour ago, The Old Hermit said:

Okay, just checked the 11/8/79 video and it's clear that the shot of the flashbombs going off during 'Achilles...' on DVD are from that performance; Jimmy's position moving past the drum riser matches and you can still see the smoke from said pyrotechnics... so it's definitely from 'Achilles...' and from the August 11th show.

Ah cool. Thanks for that.

On the DVD am I right to think they used the 4th version of Kashmir. I checked the Garden Tapes and it suggests so. Yet most rate the 11th version as better, or even much better. What gives?

Archived