Feathers In The Wind/Runes Fan club

Michael Leigh

Hi Folks,

Been lurking here for sometime and decided to register.it's really great to be amongst so any fans that love LZ as much as I do.I was just wondering if anyone here belonged to the Feathers In The Wind/Runes fan club based out of Denver, Colorado in the 80's?

I was a member for a few years and was wondering if anyone else here was also.

Merry Christmas everyone!!

Hi Folks,

Been lurking here for sometime and decided to register.it's really great to be amongst so any fans that love LZ as much as I do.I was just wondering if anyone here belonged to the Feathers In The Wind/Runes fan club based out of Denver, Colorado in the 80's?

I was a member for a few years and was wondering if anyone else here was also.

Merry Christmas everyone!!

Hi Michael. I've got every issue of the fanzine. I've also got a couple radio interviews Julie did in Denver, one to commemorate the 3rd anniversary of John Bonham's death

and another to promote the fan club just prior to Robert's Principle of Moments tour.

Hi Michael. I've got every issue of the fanzine. I've also got a couple radio interviews Julie did in Denver, one to commemorate the 3rd anniversary of John Bonham's death

and another to promote the fan club just prior to Robert's Principle of Moments tour.

Yes, one and the same!!

WOW, Steve!! Would love to hear those interviews.Any chance of PM'ing me and getting a copy.I was in the club just as they changed their name to Feathers, and eventually when Julie decided to disband it after Live Aid.

I think I actually still have my membership card somewhere.

I actually talked to Julie once on the phone.

I didn't know much about her.I was just getting into Zep in my high school years and was turned on to the fanclub by a DJ at one of the Rock stations here in Baltimore, MD.

Anyone know what Julie is up to these days?

Yes, one and the same!!

WOW, Steve!! Would love to hear those interviews.Any chance of PM'ing me and getting a copy.I was in the club just as they changed their name to Feathers, and eventually when Julie decided to disband it after Live Aid.

I think I actually still have my membership card somewhere.

I actually talked to Julie once on the phone.

I didn't know much about her.I was just getting into Zep in my high school years and was turned on to the fanclub by a DJ at one of the Rock stations here in Baltimore, MD.

Anyone know what Julie is up to these days?

I've just gone into my files to confirm those radio programs:

KILO 94 FM Mar 25 1983 Host John Reed interviews Julie Welch concering an upcoming Robert Plant tribute event to be held in Denver and hosted by Feathers In The Wind

KILO 94 FM May 31 1983 Host John Reed interviews Julie Welch on the 35th Anniversary of John Bonham's birth.

At one time I had a fragment of the nationally-syndicated Rockline radio program during which Julie go thru to Robert, whom recalled meeting her not long ago. It aired in 1983.

I don't believe I have that segment any longer as I've been meaning to upgrade and get the complete show.

Anyway, I'll PM you.

I'm sure you'llI'll PM you

• 5 years later...

I was a member of FITW also. I met and hung out with Julie Welch in Cleveland in 1985 at the RP show at Richfield Coliseum.

Nice lady. Recall that she had a good singing voice complete with a bit of a Stevie Nicks type appearance. She mentioned

that she was well acquainted with RP having spent time with him at his home England.

Have tried looking her up, but to no avail.

Julie Welch is a member of this forum (her user name is not Julie Welch) but rarely posts and hasn't logged in since July. I will send her a private message inviting her to stop by again. Aside from the interviews I mentioned, I also have a recording of pop song she did with a guy named Tony circa 1983. She does have a beautiful voice; the Stevie Nicks comparison that surfinsam alluded to is correct.

Thank you Steve. Would be nice to have her here. She would have some interesting tales, no doubt if she was up to sharing.

Fun to see the scans. Must dig out my old issues of Feathers in the wind and reminisce. Funny to think back about a time when there was such a void of news on anything LZ related. Remember waiting with baited breath for the next issue of Proximity, FITW.

Different era. The song remains the same.

Thanks for posting those scans.I subscribed to a fanzine called Proximity and still have all of my original copies from back in the day. Reading the above was really nostalgic. I remember the rumors about XYZ, and waiting on pins and needles for that to materialize; of course, it never did. And the memories of waiting for Coda to be released are fun too. Myself and a group of friends skipped class that day and road the bus to the only store in town that had the album on the shelves by noon. A bunch of geeky kids riding the bus home and studying the inner gatefold pictures, as though the fate of the world somehow hung in the balance of this vey special day. Hmmmm.....memories are made of this.

Must dig out my old issues of Feathers in the wind and reminisce.

I intend to post mine here as soon as I can dig them out. Rock fans have come such a long, long way...from pen pals and phone calls to fanzines to forums to virtually real-time digital reports and recordings from the show. The Song Remains The Same...lotta fun, lotta fun.

I subscribed to a fanzine called Proximity and still have all of my original copies from back in the day.

Oh, yes that was a great one published by Hugh Jones in Seattle. Hugh stopped publishing years ago but he's still alive and well. Proximity is my favorite U.S. fanzine because I really liked the original newspaper format and Hugh's upbeat enthusiasm really shone thru each issue. Zoso was another great U.S. fanzine, published for many years by Taylor in San Francisco. There was also of course Sam's Canadien-based 'zine, Electric Magic, packed with rare photos and thankfully we still have Dave Lewis' UK-based Tight But Loose.

According to my files nearly 60 different Led Zeppelin/solo/related fanzine titles have been published around the world through the years.

Hats off to the fanzine publishers!

Oh, yes that was a great one published by Hugh Jones in Seattle. Hugh stopped publishing years ago but he's still alive and well. Proximity is my favorite U.S. fanzine because I really liked the original newspaper format and Hugh's upbeat enthusiasm really shone thru each issue. Zoso was another great U.S. fanzine, published for many years by Taylor in San Francisco. There was also of course Sam's Canadien-based 'zine, Electric Magic, packed with rare photos and thankfully we still have Dave Lewis' UK-based Tight But Loose.

According to my files nearly 60 different Led Zeppelin/solo/related fanzine titles have been published around the world through the years.

Hats off to the fanzine publishers!

Very interesting. My Proximity mags are archived away, and they are as new looking as the day they were printed. I look at them every couple of years and reconnect with that starry eyed kid who read every word, and studied every picture, looking for some insider information on what might happen next. I too love the newspaper format. Such treasured memories. I used to ride my bike to the post office and buy a money order, so that I could get back issues for $.50 each. Then I would wait for weeks and weeks and weeks for something to show up in my mailbox. Pre-internet days sure made you work for your treasures.

Archived