Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Mr_K

Seattle 03 21 1975 Soundboard verses the rest of 75

Recommended Posts

Mr_K   

Thanks to this forum for letting me know of the new Soundboard. Wow and good.

Been listening to it yesterday and today. Love it. Rank it as one of the top shows of 75. The band was relaxed and tight.

At ease working together, and Plant speaking to the audience is enjoyable. Tight in that they were really playing well together. I can I finally hear thr JPJ bass up in the mix!

So far to what I've heard, the whole band sounds good. For example, OTHAFA - it's a fine loose groove, the band in sync, and an excellent confident solo from JP.

It is excellent. Almost a reminder of the energy of 1973. But I don't think it's the best of 75. Solid, masteful, but not a heavy fire. 

If I were asked to pick just 1 show of 75 to say how good that they could be, I'd still pick 02/12. It still seemed like they had the fire of 73 just 6 weeks before in New York. Even the Plantations were top. The band was playing like they still had to prove their material, to conquer America with their new album.

I'm not knocking Seattle of March 21, just saying that their total energy of the early years was not there. The frenzy had mellowed.

Second night in Seattle. The album was out and maybe this was a great victory lap. In fact, this was one of the last times the band would be playing so well together for an entire show.

Let me know what everyone thinks. 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IpMan   
59 minutes ago, Mr_K said:

Thanks to this forum for letting me know of the new Soundboard. Wow and good.

Been listening to it yesterday and today. Love it. Rank it as one of the top shows of 75. The band was relaxed and tight.

At ease working together, and Plant speaking to the audience is enjoyable. Tight in that they were really playing well together. I can I finally hear thr JPJ bass up in the mix!

So far to what I've heard, the whole band sounds good. For example, OTHAFA - it's a fine loose groove, the band in sync, and an excellent confident solo from JP.

It is excellent. Almost a reminder of the energy of 1973. But I don't think it's the best of 75. Solid, masteful, but not a heavy fire. 

If I were asked to pick just 1 show of 75 to say how good that they could be, I'd still pick 02/12. It still seemed like they had the fire of 73 just 6 weeks before in New York. Even the Plantations were top. The band was playing like they still had to prove their material, to conquer America with their new album.

I'm not knocking Seattle of March 21, just saying that their total energy of the early years was not there. The frenzy had mellowed.

Second night in Seattle. The album was out and maybe this was a great victory lap. In fact, this was one of the last times the band would be playing so well together for an entire show.

Let me know what everyone thinks. 

Thanks.

Interesting

Edited by IpMan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
blooze   

2/12/75 is, I'm sorry, quite overrated IMO. Having listened to it many times over while driving, i can say that Jimmy just seems out of it until Stairway. Admittedly the last 1/4 is awesome, but Jimmy is all over the place before then. Dazed is a wreck. Additionally Robert still sounds real hoarse (see IMTOD, which needs a strong Plant vocal). Great No Quarter though (JPJ killing it on the keys) along with the run of Stairway through to Heartbreaker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, blooze said:

2/12/75 is, I'm sorry, quite overrated IMO. Having listened to it many times over while driving, i can say that Jimmy just seems out of it until Stairway. Admittedly the last 1/4 is awesome, but Jimmy is all over the place before then. Dazed is a wreck. Additionally Robert still sounds real hoarse (see IMTOD, which needs a strong Plant vocal). Great No Quarter though (JPJ killing it on the keys) along with the run of Stairway through to Heartbreaker.

Aside from the performance quality of 2/12/75, the quality of the recording itself is why I think it gets the recognition that it does. I agree that its not their best performance, not by a long shot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't agree.  2-12 is a great show, very enjoyable (definitely not overrated), but it's not as good as the next two nights in Nassau.  (As far as comparisons to '73 go, at the 2-8 Philly show Page recaptures a lot of his old fluidity.)  To me the main problem with '75 shows is not the energy level, but a general lack of spontaneity.  The West Coast run in March (excepting the Forum shows perhaps) tends to have it all:  technique, spontaneity, and energy, and 3-21 is the best of the bunch (3-12 Long Beach being a very close second).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sixpense   

I though the band was loose and enjoyed playing. Overall great performance from the band for both Seattle shows. The issue I had was that Trampled Under Foot went off the ledge. The band wasn't in sync. The reason could be because Plant had added Since I've Been Loving You just before they were to play TUF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
porgie66   
4 hours ago, blindwillie127 said:

Aside from the performance quality of 2/12/75, the quality of the recording itself is why I think it gets the recognition that it does. I agree that its not their best performance, not by a long shot. 

 

1 hour ago, JohnOsbourne said:

I can't agree.  2-12 is a great show, very enjoyable (definitely not overrated), but it's not as good as the next two nights in Nassau.  (As far as comparisons to '73 go, at the 2-8 Philly show Page recaptures a lot of his old fluidity.)  To me the main problem with '75 shows is not the energy level, but a general lack of spontaneity.  The West Coast run in March (excepting the Forum shows perhaps) tends to have it all:  technique, spontaneity, and energy, and 3-21 is the best of the bunch (3-12 Long Beach being a very close second).

I totally agree with this statement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
greenman   

I wouldn't agree the LA shows lack spontaneity, granted the setlist doesn't change besides SIBLY on the 27th but the songs themselves do. The 25th for example has Jones moving back to keyboards halfway though NQ and Spanish Eyes in Dazed, the 27th has Gallows Pole at the end of TU and the "Loving You" segment in Dazed. Indeed I would tend to say those two shows feel like some of the most spontaneous of the year to me with several of the solos also being quiet different(OTHAFA on the 27th for example).

Besides technical issues I do tend to think that's really what holds the first half(and maybe somewhat of the early stages of the second half) of the US tour back a bit. It still sounds like a band finding there feet again to me across much of the set after the long layoff. The latter stages of the 2nd leg and EC seem much more inline with Zep from 69-73 to me, perhaps not always technically perfect but a more similar mentality.

Edited by greenman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×