Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
ZepHead315

Best matrices aside from Four Blocks in the Snow?

With the recent release of the matrix of 3/21 Seattle, I've been wondering about some good matrices of other shows. Obviously, I've heard and greatly enjoyed Four Blocks in the Snow, as well as Godfathers' "The American Return" for 3/11 Long Beach, Bluecongo's "King Jimmy & The West Bromwich Blues Band" for Earls Court, and Winston's matrix of Seattle 7/17/73 (even though the 73 soundboards aren't as good as the 75 ones, I still found this one to be a pretty good matrix). Are there any other matrices that are worth seeking out?

1 hour ago, ZepHead315 said:

With the recent release of the matrix of 3/21 Seattle, I've been wondering about some good matrices of other shows. Obviously, I've heard and greatly enjoyed Four Blocks in the Snow, as well as Godfathers' "The American Return" for 3/11 Long Beach, Bluecongo's "King Jimmy & The West Bromwich Blues Band" for Earls Court, and Winston's matrix of Seattle 7/17/73 (even though the 73 soundboards aren't as good as the 75 ones, I still found this one to be a pretty good matrix). Are there any other matrices that are worth seeking out?

Really like the one Porgie did of 5/14/73 New Orleans.

I personally think you get better results using audio software programs such as ProTools or SoundForge to enhance and bring out the sound from the soundboards..see the thread I started Polishing The Boards. Matrixes for the most part cant achieve what these software programs can do..with the odd exception

On 8/29/2017 at 11:10 AM, LedElvis75 said:

Really like the one Porgie did of 5/14/73 New Orleans.

I'll have to check that one out, thanks!

2 hours ago, beauregard said:

I personally think you get better results using audio software programs such as ProTools or SoundForge to enhance and bring out the sound from the soundboards..see the thread I started Polishing The Boards. Matrixes for the most part cant achieve what these software programs can do..with the odd exception

I'm no expert but...the inclusion of a true audience source to give space and ambience is a much better option IMO than trying to artificially enhance a SBD with sound program effects if two sources are available. There aren't many 73 board tapes that I can think of that sound much better as a result of sound enhancement. Most end up sounding over EQd, over amplified, noise reduced. There are a few exceptions but most of the time the original flat board sounds better. IMHO, the matrix I did of New Orleans 73 sounds much more enjoyable than any boot release that has been a "remastered"  SBD of that show.

There are very few shows pre 75 that have a board and audience tape both available so not many matrix opportunities outside 75 -80. Sue Dounim did some nice matrix work with Seattle 77. I'd like to hear hear more from 77 as those boards are mostly very flat and harsh sounding. For 77, I'd love to hear some attempts at Ft Worth, Landover shows or the Garden shows. Those are the only options for a matrix. 

Edited by porgie66

11 hours ago, porgie66 said:

I'm no expert but...the inclusion of a true audience source to give space and ambience is a much better option IMO than trying to artificially enhance a SBD with sound program effects if two sources are available. There aren't many 73 board tapes that I can think of that sound much better as a result of sound enhancement. Most end up sounding over EQd, over amplified, noise reduced. There are a few exceptions but most of the time the original flat board sounds better. IMHO, the matrix I did of New Orleans 73 sounds much more enjoyable than any boot release that has been a "remastered"  SBD of that show.

There are very few shows pre 75 that have a board and audience tape both available so not many matrix opportunities outside 75 -80. Sue Dounim did some nice matrix work with Seattle 77. I'd like to hear hear more from 77 as those boards are mostly very flat and harsh sounding. For 77, I'd love to hear some attempts at Ft Worth, Landover shows or the Garden shows. Those are the only options for a matrix. 

Bingo! Soundboard recordings were meant to be a document for the band to critique and you cannot create ambient sound and warmth from a program, at least not yet. The matrix is currently the only way to go.

I also did a matrix for Zurich 1980 and Mannheim 7/3/80 

i think they're worth checking out if you like my other work 

2 hours ago, bluecongo said:

I also did a matrix for Zurich 1980 and Mannheim 7/3/80 

i think they're worth checking out if you like my other work 

I'd love to hear the Zurich 1980 one if you have it available. One of the best TU's ever (along with the next night)

On 9/2/2017 at 8:29 AM, beauregard said:

I swear by Sound Forge when it comes to tweaking audio.