Polishing The Boards

beauregard

Thanks for sharing!  That Dazed sounds so much better than it does on the straight soundboard!  Listening to it on Deus Ex Machina had me doubting it as my favourite version of all time a little bit, but this sounds terrific!

8 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

Gibsonfan159 recently did a remaster of the Mobile 73 soundboard. It sounds great to me:

Awesome thread idea! My favorite hobby as of late has been toying with Zep boots to see if I can make them more interesting. I use a DAW to add reverb and very slight delay to soundboards to make them sound more natural and spacious.

On this particular show I brought up the highs a bit to reduce that muffled sound. This adds more hiss to the audio but I'll take some tape hiss over a flat, muffled sound. I have a playlist of the entire show minus Stairway (which always seems to trip the copyright algorithm).

On 9/5/2017 at 11:18 AM, beauregard said:

I currently use SoundForge 11 and Video Vegas to enhance the boards. Most just need a little frequency reverb and EQ,with a little compression and limiting.

Do you use Sound Forge 11 Audio Studio or Pro? Big price difference between the two . I would assume Studio is sufficient. That bit of Mobile sounds really excellent. Better than any boot release. Do you know where I could get the whole show, if shared? 

On 9/2/2017 at 7:05 PM, gibsonfan159 said:

Awesome thread idea! My favorite hobby as of late has been toying with Zep boots to see if I can make them more interesting. I use a DAW to add reverb and very slight delay to soundboards to make them sound more natural and spacious.

On this particular show I brought up the highs a bit to reduce that muffled sound. This adds more hiss to the audio but I'll take some tape hiss over a flat, muffled sound. I have a playlist of the entire show minus Stairway (which always seems to trip the copyright algorithm).

This sounds excellent, better than the label releases. Is it possible to hear the whole show? Do you share? Thanks. 

1 hour ago, porgie66 said:

This sounds excellent, better than the label releases. Is it possible to hear the whole show? Do you share? Thanks. 

Here's a playlist of Gibsonfan's remaster. It contains all the songs from the soundboard except Stairway (because of Youtube's copyright issues with that song). Hope it's okay with him if I share it:

21 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

Here's a playlist of Gibsonfan's remaster. It contains all the songs from the soundboard except Stairway (because of Youtube's copyright issues with that song). Hope it's okay with him if I share it:

Perfectly Ok with me. I shared a remaster of Deus Ex through Drive which was taken down by an admin. I can certainly understand why, but it seems moot considering you just need to use a YouTube downloader to get files from YouTube. I asked the admin if I could reshare the folder with the download option turned off and haven't received a reply.

21 hours ago, godzilla777 said:

I would to try to make some these boots sound better, just for my own personal enjoyment. What program is best to use??

I use Mixcraft. It's pretty simple to use and has an online forum which is useful if you have any questions. 

Edit: Not sure if they've changed it, but the version I use doesn't read flac files, which kinda sucks.

Edited by gibsonfan159
Extra info.

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, godzilla777 said:

Which reverb do you use, and which delay?. I downloaded version 7, it supports flac   

image.thumb.png.311789c816475632d7c081a96538730a.png

This is the reverb setting I usually stick to. You'll have to play around and see what you like best. I do just enough to add depth to a soundboard. The "SIZE" and "MIX" settings are what make the biggest differences. I keep both kinda low.

Delay I usually don't bother with because it can muddy up the mix. If you do use delay, make sure the feedback is very low so it doesn't carry over too much. You don't want it to last much more than a second and very subtle.

Edited by gibsonfan159
Extra info

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, rm2551 said:

ha! I should have kept reading comments. I was comparing the above to my Winston Dr Who and and Destroyer versions I have and was huh????

This is such a good version. There is no soundboard for Copenhagen gigs, is that right?

Nope. No Soundboard