Southampton '73 Multitrack

blindwillie127

No matter how many times I listen to this show I can't really get into it. It definitely has its moments but something seems to be missing. It has no atmosphere, which is something I think should be evident on a multitrack recording. Eddie Kramer was the recording engineer which raises the expectation level for a great recording, but it really doesn't seem to be there. I know it was at a very small venue and Page had a different tone/volume approach geared to the smaller more intimate setting. Now, I know that given the proper "treatment" this multitrack could be vastly improved upon, no doubt about it. My question is: would this performance be worth the time, energy and money it would take to turn it into a official release? Or, maybe pick out 4 or 5 songs from the show like they did with EC & Knebworth and use it as a future live compilation/assortment? 

I just hate to see a multitrack go to waste, even if its a subpar performance. Any thoughts?

6 minutes ago, blindwillie127 said:

My question is: would this performance be worth the time, energy and money it would take to turn it into a official release? Or, maybe pick out 4 or 5 songs from the show like they did with EC & Knebworth and use it as a future live compilation/assortment?

No, and maybe.  I think the sound quality is amazing, but overall the performance is very sloppy, esp. by the standards of '73.  I would take May 24th or even 25th from Earl's Court as an official release over Southampton.  (Or better yet, all three MSG '73 shows, like Purple did with the three shows comprising Made in Japan.)  However, as you say, Southampton definitely has its moments (TY and CB come to mind, and I've always like STH from this show), so yeah, including them in a future compendium makes a lot of sense.

31 minutes ago, JohnOsbourne said:

No, and maybe.  I think the sound quality is amazing, but overall the performance is very sloppy, esp. by the standards of '73.  I would take May 24th or even 25th from Earl's Court as an official release over Southampton.  (Or better yet, all three MSG '73 shows, like Purple did with the three shows comprising Made in Japan.)  However, as you say, Southampton definitely has its moments (TY and CB come to mind, and I've always like STH from this show), so yeah, including them in a future compendium makes a lot of sense.

"No and maybe" is the correct answer! :D Thanks!

Maybe I'm biased, as this was my first bootleg CD, but I highly disagree -- just because there isn't Kevin Shirley induced crowd noise doesn't mean there's no atmosphere. I clearly get the vibe of a club performance from Robert's interactions with the audience ("Whole Lotta Love!" "Wrong!"). While it isn't their greatest performance, it's very enjoyable to listen to because of the sound quality of such a laid back, stress-free show. The inclusion of Thank You and a very rare How Many More Times is icing on the cake.

That being said, unless they're looking to release karaoke versions of live material, I highly doubt Southampton will see its official light of day.

37 minutes ago, blindwillie127 said:

"No and maybe" is the correct answer! :D Thanks!

I agree with this too.  There are moments that stand out and would be worthy of official release but too many gaffs in that show overall.  I really , really wish they would at least do a best of Earl's Court full show release, or maybe Copenhagen Warm Ups 7/24/79. There are definitely a few tunes from Southampton that could make the grade for an officially release compilation of live performances , chronologically perhaps.  Come on Jimmy...give us something great for the 50th anniversary!

21 minutes ago, blooze said:

The Stoke show from a week earlier is much better even though its incomplete. Real good recording too.

Yes, better instrumentally but Plant is in rough voice , possibly worse than Southampton. I love that show though, Bonzo is on fire!  

Page said something about footage from Southampton after DVD came out, that would certainly spice it up a bit if we could see them playing.

I agree that the audio is a bit flat and it wouldn't make the best live album though.

1 hour ago, Mook said:

Page said something about footage from Southampton after DVD came out, that would certainly spice it up a bit if we could see them playing.

I agree that the audio is a bit flat and it wouldn't make the best live album though.

Hadn't heard this before, but given it was '73 when the idea of a concert film was in Grant's head, it'd be interesting to know if that footage survives. Moving footage of a small venue British Zeppelin show would be a good counterpoint to the only surviving US film all being from the enormoarena period. If only there was film of the 68/69 US shows.... Or the Back to the Clubs tour.

Such a shame Robert is in bad shape during this gig. To me its probably my favorite sounding Zeppelin bootleg. It sounds like a raw live studio set, from beginning to end. Love the sound of this and the Long Beach '72 raw multi's on Studio Dazed. I imagine they would sound similar to standing on stage with the band. And Bonhams drum sound on Studio Daze Long Beach '72 is nuts. Recordings do these a lot of good. There are high points of Southampton but for the most part, it reminds me of Robert's 7/17/77 performance. Jimmy not so much a problem.

11 hours ago, Dirty Work said:

Such a shame Robert is in bad shape during this gig. To me its probably my favorite sounding Zeppelin bootleg. It sounds like a raw live studio set, from beginning to end. Love the sound of this and the Long Beach '72 raw multi's on Studio Dazed. I imagine they would sound similar to standing on stage with the band. And Bonhams drum sound on Studio Daze Long Beach '72 is nuts. Recordings do these a lot of good. There are high points of Southampton but for the most part, it reminds me of Robert's 7/17/77 performance. Jimmy not so much a problem.

This brings Eddie Kramer to mind. He recorded LZ in '72 (6/25 & 27) while Plant was still in top form. Then, 6 months later Kramer records them at Southampton and Plant's voice is shot. 6 months later Kramer records the 3 nights at MSG. We know for a fact that after reviewing the MSG tapes Kramer suggested to Plant that they 'redo' some of his vocals in the studio. Plant was having none of that. I can only imagine what Kramer had to say about the vocals from Southampton. If I'm not mistaken, Kramer never worked with Zeppelin again post MSG '73 (aside from mixing TSRTS). Many may think that was Kramers decision, but I don't, I think it was Plant's. Can't say I blame him though as I've never had any problem with Plant's vocals from TSRTS, in fact I love it. Old Eddie might have stepped on his cock there. 

• 1 year later...
On 9/2/2017 at 5:39 PM, ledzepfilm said:

Maybe I'm biased, as this was my first bootleg CD, but I highly disagree -- just because there isn't Kevin Shirley induced crowd noise doesn't mean there's no atmosphere. I clearly get the vibe of a club performance from Robert's interactions with the audience ("Whole Lotta Love!" "Wrong!"). While it isn't their greatest performance, it's very enjoyable to listen to because of the sound quality of such a laid back, stress-free show. The inclusion of Thank You and a very rare How Many More Times is icing on the cake.

That being said, unless they're looking to release karaoke versions of live material, I highly doubt Southampton will see its official light of day.

Agreed this a really really vibey show.

On 9/3/2017 at 10:35 AM, blindwillie127 said:

This brings Eddie Kramer to mind. He recorded LZ in '72 (6/25 & 27) while Plant was still in top form. Then, 6 months later Kramer records them at Southampton and Plant's voice is shot. 6 months later Kramer records the 3 nights at MSG. We know for a fact that after reviewing the MSG tapes Kramer suggested to Plant that they 'redo' some of his vocals in the studio. Plant was having none of that. I can only imagine what Kramer had to say about the vocals from Southampton. If I'm not mistaken, Kramer never worked with Zeppelin again post MSG '73 (aside from mixing TSRTS). Many may think that was Kramers decision, but I don't, I think it was Plant's. Can't say I blame him though as I've never had any problem with Plant's vocals from TSRTS, in fact I love it. Old Eddie might have stepped on his cock there.  

The vocals are doctored on TSRTS. Listen to the Garden Tapes and you'll hear how he really sounded. Plant struggled with his vocals all through 73 with only a few highlights here and there. The end of the tour in July was one of those highlights, but his voice was nowhere near where it was the previous year. He blew out his voice and it never recovered, ever.

I remember reading where Jones said something to the effect of...even on a bad or off night Zep was better than most and when they were on,  they were unbeatable. That being said, I think Southampton is a rather pedestrian show by their capabilities. Plants voice was wrecked for that whole Winter UK/European 73 tour. Southampton is a good show but, Page and the band are insanely great on Offenburg, Berlin, Munich and Vienna. 

To enjoy Southampton you have to put the show in perspective and appreciate it for what it is-  an average show by the biggest rock group in the world, played in a very small venue. As for atmosphere, I think the solemn audience creates a very intimate, right in front of you vibe. It's like they're playing a private show in your basement for you and your friends .

Would it have been awesome to have a spectacular performance for this recording? Absolutely. But then again it's a unique moment in time. There is no masking, no excessive production, no splicing, no multitracking. It's 100% raw. And it's still better than most other live albums.

4 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

To enjoy Southampton you have to put the show in perspective and appreciate it for what it is-  an average show by the biggest rock group in the world, played in a very small venue. As for atmosphere, I think the solemn audience creates a very intimate, right in front of you vibe. It's like they're playing a private show in your basement for you and your friends .

Would it have been awesome to have a spectacular performance for this recording? Absolutely. But then again it's a unique moment in time. There is no masking, no excessive production, no splicing, no multitracking. It's 100% raw. And it's still better than most other live albums.

Right said, Gibsonfan... we should enjoy how it is (and get How Many More Times/Communication Breakdown, Mellotron Solo/Thank You as a bonus!). It somehow reminds me a bit of the 71 Paris Theatre show at the Beeb. Not spectacular, but an intimate experience nevertheless

(oh, and by the way they performed at the ol' refectory during that Spring 71 'return to the clubs' tour)

Archived